Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#34602 Dec 5, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
My you're up early today, fixing to dig into your computer and find out why it gives you option to load Win8?
If you find it totally delete it.
Oh and smile, your on Candid Camera.
Ha! Nope, didn't want to get up this morning but still had to at 6. Darn kids should figure out how to get themselves to school lol!

Location hidden

#34603 Dec 5, 2012
WorkingStiff wrote:
Hey Blunt and JL, still kicking and doing good. Here it is 10:54 PM. Just ate dinner and done with all my work finally. So tomorrow I have a free day, May check out the sites tomorrow. Cant wait to get back home. I leave tomorrow night at 11:30 pm from my hotel to catch my plane at 1:00 in the morning. 14.5 hr flight to IAD Dulles. Drag. But Im ready cus I hate being away from family. You all seem to be doing great!
Have a safe flight! You're going to need 48 hours of sleep just to recover lol!

Location hidden

#34604 Dec 5, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware of the partition requirements.
My point was that Win7/Win8 dual boot is not an option on a newly purchased machine. Win7 has been removed from circulation for the masses.
At any rate, Win8 still stinks overall IMO. So far I've discussed the Win8 thing with close to 20 people in stores, sales people and just mild conversation, and only one so far has given kudos to Win8 - you. I'm not being snide or demeaning either. If it works for you I'm happy, really.
When I've asked sales persons if they know of anyone who really likes it, they all claim no, seriously. A few say they can take it or leave it, and one retailer claims their returns are higher than they expected, all due to Win8 so the customers tell them. One major mfgr rep said it was good, and when I asked again "off the record" his eyes said it all, what his voice could not.
I find all of this very confusing but I just pulled out the disc hubby bought. It says it's Windows7 Home Premium - Upgrade designed for Windows Vista. That refreshes my memory because my old computer ran XP and the boy somehow installed Vista and screwed it all up. That also explains why it freaks out when I try to boot up to access my old files. I can still get in but all of the errors and warnings remind me of the blue screen of death!

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#34607 Dec 5, 2012
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
I find all of this very confusing but I just pulled out the disc hubby bought. It says it's Windows7 Home Premium - Upgrade designed for Windows Vista. That refreshes my memory because my old computer ran XP and the boy somehow installed Vista and screwed it all up. That also explains why it freaks out when I try to boot up to access my old files. I can still get in but all of the errors and warnings remind me of the blue screen of death!
So he used a Win7 upgrade from Vista on a PC that had XP on it instead, the predecessor to Vista?

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#34609 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Masses" don't shop at most of these places, other than WM and not that many do over the internet.
I respectfully disagree.

http://thesocialskinny.com/99-new-social-medi...

Looking at the numbers, the majority of Americans have now shopped online.

And if you look at those stores I listed, Fry's is basically a Best Buy with computer parts for the DIY'er crowd, too.*Major* business there, not just a niche store. Walmart and Best Buy also have it still too, and they can order it for you, if you just take the time to ask.

Location hidden

#34610 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
So he used a Win7 upgrade from Vista on a PC that had XP on it instead, the predecessor to Vista?
Apparently, have no idea how, my son tried to upgrade the XP to Vista with bad results. Somehow my my husband was able to "fix" it by upgrading to 7.

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#34611 Dec 6, 2012
Good morning and God bless you all...

Always IN Jesus' Name Amen...

So I guess I've started early today and already my brattiness may be getting under peoples skin...

Oh...welllllll...

Everybody ready for Christmas, Hannukah and the holidays?

2013 soon...unless 2012 ends it for us on the 21st...

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34612 Dec 6, 2012
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree.
http://thesocialskinny.com/99-new-social-medi...
Looking at the numbers, the majority of Americans have now shopped online.
And if you look at those stores I listed, Fry's is basically a Best Buy with computer parts for the DIY'er crowd, too.*Major* business there, not just a niche store. Walmart and Best Buy also have it still too, and they can order it for you, if you just take the time to ask.
BB told me it was removed from their shelves (not on-line though) a month prior to the release of Win8. It still doesn't address the issue of needing to spend more money on another piece of software z(an OS) for a brand new PC to make it function properly (depending upon one's view of proper) as well as more 3rd party stuff to get out of Metro mode.

At any rate, we're deviating from the intended focus of my original post, how terrible(IMO) Win8 is. As many people seem to be shunning it, perhaps MS will listen and give options so those who like it can use it and those who do not can opt for Win7. I'll not hold my breath though.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34613 Dec 6, 2012
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, have no idea how, my son tried to upgrade the XP to Vista with bad results. Somehow my my husband was able to "fix" it by upgrading to 7.
Interesting as they're not supposed to be able to jump two versions, only one. Maybe it found the upgrade to Vista present and was able to over write it all to Win7. That's one of the reasons I refuse to upgrade an OS, something always seems to go bad. Service paks OTOH (periodic problem fixes) have worked well for me though and some people have a lot of problems with them.

The real sad thing here is that with the general public's apparent dislike for Win8, it's going to spawn a lot of illegal software activity. AS for Win8, I'm told it has some feature in it to root out illegal software copies. If so I can see it easily disabling legit copies too in error.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#34614 Dec 6, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
Good morning and God bless you all...
Always IN Jesus' Name Amen...
So I guess I've started early today and already my brattiness may be getting under peoples skin...
Oh...welllllll...
Everybody ready for Christmas, Hannukah and the holidays?
2013 soon...unless 2012 ends it for us on the 21st...
Hey your brattiness started they moment the doctor smacked your butt and you telled at him, "hey watch where you put your hand buster"...

Morning back to you and all who show up today.

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#34615 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
BB told me it was removed from their shelves (not on-line though) a month prior to the release of Win8. It still doesn't address the issue of needing to spend more money on another piece of software z(an OS) for a brand new PC to make it function properly (depending upon one's view of proper) as well as more 3rd party stuff to get out of Metro mode.
Not true at all. Behold!

http://tinyurl.com/8n3rdfw
CornDogz wrote:
At any rate, we're deviating from the intended focus of my original post, how terrible(IMO) Win8 is. As many people seem to be shunning it, perhaps MS will listen and give options so those who like it can use it and those who do not can opt for Win7. I'll not hold my breath though.
See above.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34616 Dec 6, 2012
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true at all. Behold!
http://tinyurl.com/8n3rdfw
<quoted text>
See above.
Ahhh, behold that this downgrade if you will is from Windows 8 PRO version, the version few PCs or LTs will have unless ~maybe~ you get a high end one. Win8 Home ver is what 99% will have and the site doesn't address downgrading from that ver. Note too the site doc was done Aug 31 and may not even be valid since Win8 came out after that. And to add, reviewing MANY of the ti[s and shortcuts I've found on the 'net for Win8, then trying them on several Win8 machines, I find the vast majority don't work. These were apparently left out of the final offered home product. Another tech mentioned the same thing to me which is what got me to trying them out.

My Toshiba I got several years ago came with Vista Ultimate, something even the Toshiba guy told me was interesting as he'd not seen it as OEM on any LTs.

In the end, I hope Win8 succeeds, however I do not believe it is the OS I desire to use, in spite of where MS is pushing the market. I'm on the verge of getting that new LT and trying it out, and if I can't make Win8 do what I need it to, returning the LT for a full refund. I get 90 days...

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#34617 Dec 6, 2012
I just got my biopsy results. And I will not be 18 years cancer free next April 21st. But I will be have more tissue removed next Thursday, the 13th.

Location hidden

#34618 Dec 6, 2012
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
I just got my biopsy results. And I will not be 18 years cancer free next April 21st. But I will be have more tissue removed next Thursday, the 13th.
Darn Silk, we were hoping to hear good news.

But at least you have stayed on top of things and are here enjoying life with friends and lovers.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34619 Dec 6, 2012
Well, looks like the good lord didn't want me to have that LT from Sam's as they are no longer available. So much for try before you buy<G>.

No rush, lots of time and the holiday season is young yet!!

Elk Grove

#34620 Dec 6, 2012
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
Will not? Or will?

My wife is getting a lumped removed next week under the arm...

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34621 Dec 6, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Will not? Or will?
Ahhhh, so she's about 1' taller than you<G>. Sorry, just trying to make light in a non-humorous situation!

Location hidden

#34622 Dec 6, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Will not? Or will?
Hope it is nothing serious.

Elk Grove

#34623 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh, so she's about 1' taller than you<G>. Sorry, just trying to make light in a non-humorous situation!
LOL!

Doctor didn't say there looked to be anything to worry about...and it's cool...thank you...

It's always good to keep humor...

Elk Grove

#34624 Dec 6, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope it is nothing serious.
Doesn't seem to be...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump derangement syndrome (Feb '17) 2 hr wowed 234
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 11 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 64,378
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 11 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 115,310
McDonalds Installs Kiosks ---- Reduces Employees 15 hr eferram 1
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Mon HRresident 197
News Police on lookout for 'healer' in scam probe (Jul '09) Mon Sharon 88
Albuquerque's shootingest cops-common denominator? Mon Voice of Reason 6

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance