Attorney: APD officer 'committed no c...

Attorney: APD officer 'committed no crime'

There are 434 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Apr 9, 2008, titled Attorney: APD officer 'committed no crime'. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Sam Bregman has been retained to represent an APD officer suspected of a fatal hit and run The attorney for an Albuquerque Police Department sergeant suspected of a fatal hit-and-run accident in a bar parking ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

Wizest Guy

Chinle, AZ

#311 Apr 14, 2008
screaming in my head wrote:
1. After a week of people repeating the same thing over and over again of course we are going to get off topic, and turn to joking around between ourselves.
2. We are all adults here. So if someone wants to take it to a level where it is slightly sexual and flirty, we are allowed. if you are offended then go to a NEW news forum and add your opinion.
3. I am not offended by the comments placed here. They are all in good fun, and I haven't gone this far in life without having some sort of sexual comments made by people. I don't take them seriously, if I took every comment seriously I would be a miserable person and yes would be homebound.
4. I don't remember ever asking anyone's opinion on my looks, or whether I look like a guy or not. I am a female, whether you believe that or not is of no concern to me. Because i really doubt I am going to be going anywhere with any of you wonderful people who have nothing better to do but post hateful carp on here.
5. i don't have any hard feelings against any of you. You can spout any junk you want just as the rest of us can. But please don't resort to trying to get people fired, or these petty insults about people sleeping with animals and calling people ugly. let's all be civil to one another.
6. i am really a nice person, and don't want anyone to have to deal with this kind of crap over me. It asked for a piture on here and so I posted the only picture I had i will remove it so noone can have issues with me anymore.
To those of you that have been insulted because of me Jim-bo, daniel and so on...I am so sorry!
Thanks-
Terri (sreaming in my head)No Terri dont remove the picture,it's better than looking at the guy kissing a horse.
No terri dont remove the pic, its better than looking at the guy kissing a horse.
Vote Chavez Out of Office

Sterling Heights, MI

#312 Apr 14, 2008
spew wrote:
WHERE CAN I SIGN UP TO BECOME APD.
Can probably go straight to the Mayor's office, I hear they're recruiting 80+. Tell him former chief Polisar sent you.
Watches the News

Chinle, AZ

#314 Apr 14, 2008
lobos suck and how wrote:
nice to see are new's media is on the ball with this story,(like a ghost story) out of sight and out of mind. come on KOB , where the hell are you on this!!!!!!!!!!
Say what you will about KOB, but Antoinette is "HOT"!!!! OOOOHLALA
Romero

Albuquerque, NM

#315 Apr 15, 2008
This is crazy. Hit and Run is a CRIME. Think of the victims family, they lost two members of there family to a hit and run traggic.
S Miller

AOL

#316 Apr 18, 2008
I wrote the mayor, along with the city council, APD an emailabout this and here was his response:

Thanks for your note. The filing of charges are delayed solely at the direct and specific request of the District Attorney in charge of the case. I certainly agree that the appearance is bad but a small delay to ensure a successful prosecution is worth it. As you may be aware, the DA is an independently elected official without whose consent the prosecution cannot proceed.

Sincerely,

Martin Chavez

----- Original Message -----
To: Schultz, Ray D.; Hamman, Joanna A.; McCabe, Kevin P.; Chavez, Martin J.; Romero, Elaine T.; Callaway, Michael D.; Castro, Michael Y.; Bowdich, Joe ; Moya, Julian N.; Aledo, Milagros C.; Trujeque, Diana L.; Shair-Rosenfield, Kara; Montano, Gilbert A.; Shields, Elizabeth A.; Padilla, Isaac E.; Sanchez-Pare, Kelly; [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu Apr 10 17:42:43 2008
Subject: Officer Andrew Gallegos/APD

Ladies and Gentleman,
Good afternoon. As a long time citizen of the City of Albuquerque, I wish to voice my great indignation over Officer Andrew Gallegos and APD. I do not believe that any non-police citizen in this city would not have been charged if they were in the same situation. The fact that this officer may have ran over a person three times, and left the scene is an outrage. Then to state that he blacked out and does not remember that night is unbelievable. To have this officer as part of the police department, who are to uphold the law, not be above it is astonishing. When did being a member of the police force, give a member of society special privaleges. This is but the latest show of APD skirting the law. I, among many others, have seen officers blatantly work around the law, officers intervening for a family member charged with DWI, using tax paid police vehicles to drive their family around, parking in fire lanes, flashing their lights to get though a red light, speeding though traffic without their lights on, among other things, to name a few. To have officers not recharged of a crime such as rape of a person under the age of 18 is mind-blowing.
Just this Monday, 04/07/08, at the City Council Meeting in which officers of APD went to voice their concerns about a contract they signed, I noticed officers parking their personal vehicles on the curb, where is was clearly marked, "Police Vehicles Only." When did a Ford F 150 become a police vehicle? These vehicles did not have a government plates. Then to see that no one was a ticket or citation after a police service aide pulled up and reviewed the scene. Had any member of this city parked there who was not a police officer, I am sure that the very least they would have been ticketed or towed. I wonder how many of those APD Officers who were in attendance, in uniform or in civilian clothing were not on the clock?
In speaking with friends, co-workers, even just people I meet and run into, share similar concerns and frustration. Many people in our community are afraid to speak up in fear of the police. I ask myself, why should we be afraid to speak up? I believe that this goes to show that there is a great distrust that people have of the APD. I thought the police motto was " To protect and serve." But more and more it appears to me that its to protect their own.
The law need to apply to everyone or not at all. No one should be above the law, especially the police. I thank you all for your time. If you have any response I would appreciate your response.

S. Miller
USMC, Ret.

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#317 Apr 18, 2008
If you are a member of APD you are above the law. You can drink and drive, have sex with minors, kill someone while driving your tax paid car. Just flash your badge and shake the mayors hand.
This case will get dismissed and this guy will become the next cheif.
ugottabkidding

Florence, AL

#318 Apr 18, 2008
we live in a police state- the system protects itself and abuses its authority - the citizens are fed propaganda of how great the system is-the ex mayor and treasurer are going to do prison time-but thats because the feds had to get involved-not because of apd- don't you find it funny that the defendants for ripping off the public for millions didn't have to post a bond while someone arrested for a petty misdameanor does? how much do you think an ordinary citizen would have had to pay for running over someone at a bar?
timmychillie

Albuquerque, NM

#319 Apr 18, 2008
just another fact in this and country. if the victim was white or had money i think the officer whould be sitting in jail right now. the victims is native so the state or city does not care it always been like that and will always be like that. to the district attorney "it just another dead indian" she don't care niether does the chief of police of apd.
jim E

Mcnary, AZ

#320 Apr 18, 2008
Convicting the guy before he gets his day in court, typical message board hacks lol
Samson

Chinle, AZ

#321 Apr 18, 2008
If he claims to have blacked out give him a poly graph test. He might chang his mind before hand. One question I do have is are the police staying on top of this just like they would if John Q citizen was accused.
Stuck on Stoopid

Albuquerque, NM

#322 Apr 18, 2008
jim E wrote:
Convicting the guy before he gets his day in court, typical message board hacks lol
Nobody, at least not at this point in time, has the power to "convict" him, or anyone else in this crime. They're expressing their opinions. Why do you find that threatening?
THE NEXT GENERATION 1990

Las Cruces, NM

#323 Apr 22, 2008
timmychillie wrote:
just another fact in this and country. if the victim was white or had money i think the officer whould be sitting in jail right now. the victims is native so the state or city does not care it always been like that and will always be like that. to the district attorney "it just another dead indian" she don't care niether does the chief of police of apd.
HE DIDNT EVEN GO TO JAIL NO BOND OR ANYTHING.
Molly

Albuquerque, NM

#324 Apr 23, 2008
Vote Chavez Out of Office wrote:
<quoted text>
Can probably go straight to the Mayor's office, I hear they're recruiting 80+. Tell him former chief Polisar sent you.
I know for a fact that his wife,Liz, was related to Chavez. The good ole bit society will always be here. It's who you know around here, not what you're credentials are. So freakin' sad.

“Down in the Bayou”

Vancleave Mississippi

#325 Apr 23, 2008
Wizest Guy wrote:
<quoted text>No terri dont remove the pic, its better than looking at the guy kissing a horse.
uh..wasn't kissin the horse...he just made a funny remark about Jim E..cracked me up..
FLABBERGASTED

Levelland, TX

#326 Apr 23, 2008
A woman is dead. No matter her history, she is no longer living.
A cop/citizen is accused. Accused, not convicted.
The best thing we've got to find out the truth is our court system. Let the system do its job, no matter how many flaws it may have. It's the best we have.
Eventually, it will all come out. "Looks like" doesn't always get a conviction.
Crowflys

Tulsa, OK

#329 Apr 23, 2008
I have read all the comments that the public has submitted and I agree for some and others hum. The fact remains a human being life was lost in this awful hit and run accident.
Hopefully justice will be served in time and the criminal will be caught and convicted for his actions. People we all need pray for the victim's family and justice! Only the man in heaven knows the honest truth and I hope the quilty party will come forward and turn himself in the police. Oklahoma cares too....

“Judgy not lest ye be judgied!”

Since: Feb 08

Farmington, NM

#330 Apr 23, 2008
Any updates on this story?

“Down in the Bayou”

Vancleave Mississippi

#331 Apr 23, 2008
Wiccad wrote:
Any updates on this story?
yeah...she is still dead...
Aequus

Montgomery, AL

#332 Apr 23, 2008
From what I got out of the article it sounds like it still haven't been proven that it was him and his truck, though it does seem likely. I'm sure once it's concluded he indeed was the driver, something else will be done about it. It is kinda scary though, that if it indeed was him, he ran her over twice and didn't even know it because he was too smashed.

“Judgy not lest ye be judgied!”

Since: Feb 08

Farmington, NM

#333 Apr 23, 2008
Daniel, it isn't Thursday yet. Don't make me smack you upside your cowboy hat!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 2 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 62,950
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 2 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 113,953
NBC News Projects TRUMP as US President at 930 PM 5 hr possumlips 42
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 6 hr Judith 6,984
News BREAKING. House Accelerates Investigation Of Pl... 7 hr Monkey8778 26
Whatever happened to ____________? Fill in the ... (Oct '08) 9 hr Normal People 573
Name a foreign leader you admire. 11 hr Peter W 54

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Placitas Mortgages