Gov. Martinez signed ballot request f...

Gov. Martinez signed ballot request for husband

There are 82 comments on the KOB-TV New Mexico story from Jan 19, 2013, titled Gov. Martinez signed ballot request for husband. In it, KOB-TV New Mexico reports that:

Gov. Susana Martinez has admitted signing an absentee ballot request for a school board election on behalf of her husband, Chuck Franco.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB-TV New Mexico.

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#41 Jan 25, 2013
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
She got caught by Dona Ana County but got special treatment from Duran.
You really like to spin things that aren't there don't you but deny evidence concerning President Hussein Obama?

Wow....progressive liberals really do live in their own little world....
bearing

Huntsville, AL

#42 Jan 25, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
You really like to spin things that aren't there don't you but deny evidence concerning President Hussein Obama?
Wow....progressive liberals really do live in their own little world....
false witness again. There is no birther evidence.

The forged ballot request was caught. The SoS whose priority from the governor is to find voter irregularities has a press conference with susana when the inforamtion came out, instead of taking it to law enforcement to let them decide if there was a legal issue.

Elk Grove

#43 Jan 25, 2013
bearing wrote:
<quoted text>
The forged ballot request was caught. The SoS whose priority from the governor is to find voter irregularities has a press conference with susana when the inforamtion came out, instead of taking it to law enforcement to let them decide if there was a legal issue.
Spin, spin, spin....
deflect

Huntsville, AL

#44 Jan 25, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Spin, spin, spin....
deflect. deflect.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#45 Jan 25, 2013
bearing wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out what it says about NM laws regarding signing absentee ballots. It says that the person MUST sign their own ballot.

Elk Grove

#46 Jan 25, 2013
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>Check out what it says about NM laws regarding signing absentee ballots. It says that the person MUST sign their own ballot.
Now it does, it didn't before....and guess what....Governor Susanna Martinez signed the updated one into law....

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#47 Jan 25, 2013
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>Check out what it says about NM laws regarding signing absentee ballots. It says that the person MUST sign their own ballot.
Now yes, then, no.

Elk Grove

#48 Jan 25, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Now yes, then, no.
Thank you....that's the simplest explanation....will they get? Probably not....
I will

Huntsville, AL

#49 Jan 25, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you....that's the simplest explanation....will they get? Probably not....
make it simpler for you. She signed HIS name, not her's. Not Susana M for Charlie Franco, but forged his signature.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#50 Jan 25, 2013
I will wrote:
<quoted text>
make it simpler for you. She signed HIS name, not her's. Not Susana M for Charlie Franco, but forged his signature.
Bingo. And in the state of NM, forgery is a crime. The new law applied it to that specific scenario, yes; however it was still a crime prior to this particular incident.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#51 Jan 25, 2013
I will wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter, that was NOT illegal at the time it occurred. Why, who knows, only in NM could this have become an oversight(?) by the legislature. For some reason we can't get it right the first time.

Regardless, I to find it cheesy she did that, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#52 Jan 25, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter, that was NOT illegal at the time it occurred. Why, who knows, only in NM could this have become an oversight(?) by the legislature. For some reason we can't get it right the first time.
Regardless, I to find it cheesy she did that, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Signing the ballot request specifically wasn't, true. But forgery; ie. what she did, was. It is no different than saying that we don't need anti cell phone laws, as we already have distracted driving laws.

Location hidden

#53 Jan 25, 2013
I will wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? It wasn't a crime. Get over it!

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#54 Jan 25, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Now it does, it didn't before....and guess what....Governor Susanna Martinez signed the updated one into law....
It was clarified in 2011, and yes Sucia did sign it, so therefore she should have known better. This way there would be no question of impropriety.

Location hidden

#55 Jan 25, 2013
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo. And in the state of NM, forgery is a crime. The new law applied it to that specific scenario, yes; however it was still a crime prior to this particular incident.
So, in order for charges to be filed, wouldn't the "victim", i.e. her husband, have to press charges?

Location hidden

#56 Jan 25, 2013
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Signing the ballot request specifically wasn't, true. But forgery; ie. what she did, was. It is no different than saying that we don't need anti cell phone laws, as we already have distracted driving laws.
Again, if "forging" a spouse's name, WITH THEIR PERMISSION, is a crime, you had better plan on visiting me in prison :)

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#57 Jan 25, 2013
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>It was clarified in 2011, and yes Sucia did sign it, so therefore she should have known better. This way there would be no question of impropriety.
No argument from me on that. If he had time to fill out the ballot he should have had 3 seconds to sign it too IMO.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#58 Jan 25, 2013
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>It was clarified in 2011, and yes Sucia did sign it, so therefore she should have known better. This way there would be no question of impropriety.
HOWEVER, in spite of what others want to make this into, she did nothing illegal at the time, nada, zilck, nyet.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#59 Jan 25, 2013
As much as I dislike Sucia, she did what is a common practice among spouses, signed her husbands name. The thing is she is the Governor, and signed the bill that became law a few months later, she should watch her P's & Q's. What is common practice among couples, is different when you are the Governor, or hold any government office. Was she criminal? NO, but careless.

I never thought I would defend Sucia!
GetItExpunged

Los Alamos, NM

#60 Jan 26, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
Keeping on topic, she broke no law that was in force at the time of the signing. The bigger Q though is WTH it took until now to enact that law. If you can vote you ~should~ be able to sign your own ballot, disability not withstanding. That should have been a no brainer long ago.
Yes she did. When I took NM state government, it was taught by a repub, and back 20 years ago, it was reviewed in class, that to make sure NO ONE could falsely register someone ,and stop them from later voting, only the persona listed on the ballot, request, ballot, and anything else with it, coudl sign for the ballot. That's it, only the person, no one else at all.

She committed a felony, knowingly, she is arrogant and anti-social. The law is still the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 2 hr Mister Chix 64,662
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 2 hr Mister Chix 115,629
Want extra money for the holidays 3 hr Johnjg72 1
News Albuquerque police identify remains (Feb '09) 5 hr Concernedcitizen714 121
Sudden influx of people moving in to Rio Rancho 6 hr Noticed 1
Poll Linda Beaver Hot or Not (Apr '08) Fri Max 6
News Whatever Harvey Weinstein Is, He Is No Sex Addi... Fri Funny 16

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance