Boy rescued from Country Club of Roch...

Boy rescued from Country Club of Rochester pool

There are 64 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jul 14, 2009, titled Boy rescued from Country Club of Rochester pool. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Brighton Police and emergency crews responded to the Country Club of Rochester just after 12:30pm this afternoon for a child that was unresponsive in the pool at the Country Club.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

Dean - o

Honeoye Falls, NY

#22 Jul 14, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
If they allowed black kids in there, a black kid would have saved the boy.
hahahaha that is a good one because we all know black people can't swim.

“name calling is SO passe”

Since: May 09

Penfield, NY

#23 Jul 14, 2009
i_m_watching wrote:
Where the hell were the lifeguards?
When the story first broke they indicated there were 5 guards on duty and about 10 kids in the pool at the time.
moi

United States

#24 Jul 14, 2009
So is it 10 kids and 5 lifeguards...

OR

5 kids and 10 lifeguards

Obviously somebody was sleeping on the job.
Laurie

Albion, NY

#25 Jul 14, 2009
Dean - o wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaha that is a good one because we all know black people can't swim.
why the hell do you ignorant few have to bring race into every tragedy or accident that is printed? wow find a hobby or something productive to do with your time instead of insulting others!
Say what

Rochester, NY

#26 Jul 14, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
If they allowed black kids in there, a black kid would have saved the boy.
Most black kids cannot swim. Not that there is ANY excuse as the city of Rochester has FREE swimming lessons year round.

Obviously this was a huge case of lifeguard FAIL. No 4 year old (except for the rare one) should have been allowed in the deep end. Hello? Law Suit? And should this child die-mama mia...they better hope they have great insurance.
murdybirdies

United States

#27 Jul 14, 2009
They are called LIFE GUARDS for a reason. If there were 5 of them and 10 kids then somebody was not doing their job. They all need to get more training on LIFE SAVING. This is the beginning of a lawsuit filed by the parents against the Country Club and its water safety employees. This type of accident has happened in other parts of the country and both times the parents won a lot of money but sad to say both kids died in these swimming accidents.
Alvarez is a hoot

Rochester, NY

#28 Jul 14, 2009
If you want to laugh, read the D&C story, General mang. Alvarez praises his lifeguards and talks about how they did everything right. Alvarez also talks about how he is praying for the boy. I'll just bet he is.
My guess? The deep end was "cloudy"-in which case it is supposed to be closed.(Arrowhead (ymca) is always closing the deep end because you cannot see to the bottom)
Fire em

Rochester, NY

#29 Jul 14, 2009
All five lifeguards on duty and their supervisor should be fired yesterday. I wonder if these are any of the same horrible lifeguards that work at Brighton HS pool-they never even look at the pool-they sit at a table, talk on cells and put on nail polish.
winterlover

Rochester, NY

#30 Jul 14, 2009
SO sad. Guarded conditions is definitely serious.
I'm curious how no one knows how long the child was in the water. As a parent, I have been to numerous public and semi private pools where the lifeguards were not watching the entire pool or where they were distracted by chatting or just glancing off out of boredom. Let's face it, Lifeguards are usually 16-18 years old and honestly, they need reminding. On multiple occasions, I've personally told lifeguards that they need to be doing a better job when it was apparent that safety was at stake. I have never done it be rude - I only want to make sure they know how much THEY matter. It's up to us ALL to make sure the pool is safe - not just parents - and not just the lifeguards. People need to speak up and demand safe attentive and watchful behavior from parents AND lifeguards. People drown fast. One slip under the rope and a child slips SILENTLY under.
leah

Rochester, NY

#31 Jul 14, 2009
OMG wrote:
What about the parents?
It was a DAY CAMP- the parents were probably not there!!!!
leah

Rochester, NY

#32 Jul 14, 2009
Fire em wrote:
All five lifeguards on duty and their supervisor should be fired yesterday. I wonder if these are any of the same horrible lifeguards that work at Brighton HS pool-they never even look at the pool-they sit at a table, talk on cells and put on nail polish.
The athletic director at BHS is Fritz Killian- if you really saw the guards acting like that, let's see you have the guts to report them to Mr. K!!!!!!!!
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#33 Jul 14, 2009
obviously none of you have ever been a life guard
let's make it easy for you. lets make the water only knee to waist high
forbid the kids from going underwater when they swim - only swim on the water surface
no horseplay, so the guards can tell if your splashing is really a cry for help and not not "water fight"
everyone has to wear a bubble, water wings or a life jacket
hold onto the sides of the pool, you cant go more than 4 feet from the sides
stay off the diving board and slides.
dont go in the deep end, stay in the shallows or go to the kiddie pool or spray area

Penfield, NY

#34 Jul 14, 2009
Straight Shooter wrote:
obviously none of you have ever been a life guard
let's make it easy for you. lets make the water only knee to waist high
forbid the kids from going underwater when they swim - only swim on the water surface
no horseplay, so the guards can tell if your splashing is really a cry for help and not not "water fight"
everyone has to wear a bubble, water wings or a life jacket
hold onto the sides of the pool, you cant go more than 4 feet from the sides
stay off the diving board and slides.
dont go in the deep end, stay in the shallows or go to the kiddie pool or spray area
I agree with the point you are trying to make. However, considering they are reporting that there were 5 lifeguards on duty and 10 kids in the pool, I HIGHLY doubt there was that much commotion going on for the lifeguards to not notice a young kid floating in the pool. It's not like he just started to drown and they saved him, they found him floating face down. HOW COULD THEY NOT HAVE NOTICED? I would be a little more understanding if the pool were crowded and the scenarios you suggested were taking place, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Face it, if it is true that there was a 2-1 ratio, these guards should be fired.

Penfield, NY

#35 Jul 14, 2009
IrishEyes wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble bmg, but rich kids don't attend day camps, they're home in their own pools with their nannies.
With my sarcasm taken care of, in all honesty, I hope this child is okay. I have two children of my own. I know how quickly an accident can happen. You can't turn your back for one second. My thoughts and prayers are with this child and their family.
"Rich" kids do attend camp, I don't know what your definition of "rich" is, but my kids go to several camps throughout the summer (we are not rich by ANY definition) and they go with the kids of local politicians, business owners and prominent figures.

“Lovin' you is fuuu-uuun...”

Since: Apr 09

drop the puck, Ref...

#36 Jul 15, 2009
WHAT__EVER wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the point you are trying to make. However, considering they are reporting that there were 5 lifeguards on duty and 10 kids in the pool, I HIGHLY doubt there was that much commotion going on for the lifeguards to not notice a young kid floating in the pool. It's not like he just started to drown and they saved him, they found him floating face down. HOW COULD THEY NOT HAVE NOTICED? I would be a little more understanding if the pool were crowded and the scenarios you suggested were taking place, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Face it, if it is true that there was a 2-1 ratio, these guards should be fired.
Well said. Thank you!
customer

Rush, NY

#37 Jul 15, 2009
IrishEyes wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble bmg, but rich kids don't attend day camps, they're home in their own pools with their nannies.
With my sarcasm taken care of, in all honesty, I hope this child is okay. I have two children of my own. I know how quickly an accident can happen. You can't turn your back for one second. My thoughts and prayers are with this child and their family.
So the country club of Rochester where it costs $60,000 a year to be a member just allows "poor" people to swim in their pool?
IrishEyes

Rochester, NY

#38 Jul 15, 2009
WHAT__EVER wrote:
<quoted text>
"Rich" kids do attend camp, I don't know what your definition of "rich" is, but my kids go to several camps throughout the summer (we are not rich by ANY definition) and they go with the kids of local politicians, business owners and prominent figures.
You obviously did not read further to see my note about SARCASM since I was responding to someone who pointed out that the rich kids should drown assuming that only rich kids attend day camps.
customer

Rush, NY

#39 Jul 15, 2009
IrishEyes wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously did not read further to see my note about SARCASM since I was responding to someone who pointed out that the rich kids should drown assuming that only rich kids attend day camps.
haha I didn't read either... myyy mistake
IrishEyes

Rochester, NY

#40 Jul 15, 2009
customer wrote:
<quoted text>
So the country club of Rochester where it costs $60,000 a year to be a member just allows "poor" people to swim in their pool?
Why not, wasn't there just another "club" that was in the headlines recently that had their doors open to day camps. Granted, they are now about to be sued for discrimination, but they are probably just one example of many that allow so called "poor kids" into their facilities to use the pool during "camps".

The point is whether this was a day camp for the elite, poor, middle class....whatever, a child wasn't watched and it's pretty sad that people on these blogs only base their sympathy on the social economic status of this child. Pretty sad.
customer

Rush, NY

#41 Jul 15, 2009
IrishEyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not, wasn't there just another "club" that was in the headlines recently that had their doors open to day camps. Granted, they are now about to be sued for discrimination, but they are probably just one example of many that allow so called "poor kids" into their facilities to use the pool during "camps".
The point is whether this was a day camp for the elite, poor, middle class....whatever, a child wasn't watched and it's pretty sad that people on these blogs only base their sympathy on the social economic status of this child. Pretty sad.
Idk about the other club... I didnt hear anything about it, but you could be right. I really don't thing CCR would open it's doors to people who weren't members or guests, they don't need the extra revinue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Filling seats at the first presidential debate 27 min Ha Ha 12
Media Declaring Clinton Victorious - Trump Defe... 34 min Ha Ha 13
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 5 hr The Other Guys 748
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) 11 hr rnormanii 26
Was the Drunk Driver also a Drunk Roofer?? 13 hr The Real Deal 5
Jury Finds Tina Sardisco Guilty on Both Counts (Apr '12) 13 hr RacistFireCrotch ... 49
i hope the Bills lose today so they can fire Re... 14 hr south avenue wedge 26

Pittsford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsford Mortgages