School closings and delays

There are 19 comments on the Dec 19, 2008, Berkshire Eagle story titled School closings and delays. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

The following school systems are closed or have scheduled early dismissals today: Closed: Berkshire Christian School Berkshire Community College Berkshire Country Day School Lee Public Schools Lenox Public ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Huey Long

Glens Falls, NY

#1 Dec 19, 2008
My kids had no school today, not even a half day, what gives? There is no snow as of yet, its now 11.o7 Why am I paying taxes? They had projects today, what boobs these people are. Snow will come, but at least, give them a half day, where do they get there info from, the crazy bus Drivers?
ale

Rensselaer, NY

#2 Dec 19, 2008
YOU KNOW I THINK THEY ARE GEWTTING PRETTY RIDICULOUS WITH CLOSING THE SCHOOLS WHEN THE SNOW HASN'T EVEN FALLEN YET.......OH WHAT IS IT TOO COLD OUT OUT ..........OH WE'VE GOT THE ANTARTICA WIND CHILL!!! HAH HA HA
Lattitude

Glens Falls, NY

#3 Dec 19, 2008
Your right Huey, it calls for PM snow, so the only way they will be vindicated is if it snows at about noon and we get an inch by 12.30, which would be next to impossible, so much for the education Mayor? and the love the children, Super... of Schools.
OW DONNA

Glens Falls, NY

#4 Dec 19, 2008
Actually I would rather pay the babysitter thirty bucks, than heave the hacks drive my kid in this weather.
salty

Glens Falls, NY

#5 Dec 19, 2008
Its do nothing friday, the annual get started partying for the city workers, they'll make there money plowing tonight, and Ruberto saves bus fuel, at the expense of the kids that want to learn.

Since: May 08

Chicopee, MA

#6 Dec 19, 2008
OW DONNA wrote:
Actually I would rather pay the babysitter thirty bucks, than heave the hacks drive my kid in this weather.
What weather,it is 12:05 and cloudy?
For many people thirty bucks is the difference between hunger and a couple of nice suppers for the family!
The entire thing is way out of hand,snow for Sunday,lets cancel school for Monday now!
christmas time

Sandisfield, MA

#7 Dec 19, 2008
Like I said on the other post about this, Pittsfield does not do half days or let the kids out early. It was close all day or go to school for the full day. Since the elementary schools get out at the time the snow is supposed to be the worst, isn't it better to not have them go at all? They'll make the day up at the end of the year.
Far from Pittsfield

Durham, NC

#8 Dec 19, 2008
Thank gosh I moved far away from all that Pittsfield baloney and snow! Its gorgeous down here in beautiful NC!!!
Oineby

Hoosick Falls, NY

#9 Dec 19, 2008
Well, its now 2:28, a mere minute before the kids would have been getting out, and I'd rather not have my kids out in this storm.
Since when is caring about kids safety a waste of tax dollars?
taxpayer

Cohoes, NY

#10 Dec 19, 2008
Oineby wrote:
Well, its now 2:28, a mere minute before the kids would have been getting out, and I'd rather not have my kids out in this storm.
Since when is caring about kids safety a waste of tax dollars?
its just that they could have had a 1/2 day of school(i dont know why pitts doesnt do 1/2 days)
sometimes they are a little too quick in cancelling based on predicted weather. Since the snow didnt start till early aftenoon, I think they would have been fine putting in a whole day. Then parents are left to pay for child care costs. Snow days are unscheduled, so parents may not be prepared for them, especially the week before christmas.
On top of that, alot of classes/schools has xmas concerts today., the kids practiced and were excited to have their families come and see them. But now it has been cancelled!
Get Over It

Holyoke, MA

#11 Dec 19, 2008
Our public schools will never improve until parents realize the schools are not their personal baby-sitter.I find that people who complain the most about the money they pay in taxes are usually the ones who pay the least and have the most kids. I would like to see the government go to a "pay to play" policy for public schools. People's school taxes should be based on how many children they have in school. I don't have children by choice, and I get tired of paying for irresponsible parents who procreate like bunnies.
taxpayer

Cohoes, NY

#12 Dec 19, 2008
Get Over It wrote:
Our public schools will never improve until parents realize the schools are not their personal baby-sitter.I find that people who complain the most about the money they pay in taxes are usually the ones who pay the least and have the most kids. I would like to see the government go to a "pay to play" policy for public schools. People's school taxes should be based on how many children they have in school. I don't have children by choice, and I get tired of paying for irresponsible parents who procreate like bunnies.
I have 1 child, who does not need childcare.I do not expect the school to act as a babysitter, but I do have COMPASSION for those on very tight budgets who have to pay for childcare when school is cancelled, when the weather turned out to be less severe than predicted. As someone else posted earlier, the money spent on a day of childcare could feed a family for an entire day!
Have some compassion!
taxpayer

Cohoes, NY

#14 Dec 20, 2008
Oineby wrote:
Obviously snow days are unscheduled, but every parent should expect them when the weather is supposed to be bad. The superintendents and other staff cannot predict what time the storm will hit. What happened to better safe than sorry?
I'd rather not risk children's well being in order to save myself a little money. That, I think, is compassion. Children are worth a lot more than thirty dollars. That being said, where is your compassion?
my compassion remains with the parents who cannot afford to put dinner on the table!
Oineby

Hoosick Falls, NY

#15 Dec 20, 2008
But not the children?
taxpayer

Cohoes, NY

#17 Dec 21, 2008
tabby wrote:
<quoted text>
if your from North Adams...why do u care what goes on in pittsfield. It's non of your business. The kids needed a break. They have had so many projects and stuff. Obviously you dont know much. So why dont u keep ur opinion 2 urself?!?!
Hey- I was on your side! Your fighting the wrong one.
charles

Clifton Park, NY

#18 Dec 21, 2008
the snow did begin at 1220pm friday afternoon,it was coming down real heavy by 2 and 3pm when most school let the stupid kids out of school,therefor the roads were a mess at that time with all the snow piling up on the roads.it was possible for snow to begin around 9am friday morning,but the more likely possibility was noontime friday for snow to start and therefor by the time kids got out of school it wouldve been dangerous driving on the roads with visibilities less than a half mile and roads covering up with snow with this snowstorm moving at the area at upwards of 70mph in her forward speed
not stupid

Pittsfield, MA

#19 Dec 21, 2008
charles wrote:
the snow did begin at 1220pm friday afternoon,it was coming down real heavy by 2 and 3pm when most school let the stupid kids out of school,therefor the roads were a mess at that time with all the snow piling up on the roads.it was possible for snow to begin around 9am friday morning,but the more likely possibility was noontime friday for snow to start and therefor by the time kids got out of school it wouldve been dangerous driving on the roads with visibilities less than a half mile and roads covering up with snow with this snowstorm moving at the area at upwards of 70mph in her forward speed
why the term "stupid kids".... I think you're on the side of canceling school due to how unpredictable the forecast cast be, but I still wonder why you said "stupid kids". You do not have any children do you? Either that or yours are too old to be considered kids, therefore other people's kids must be stupid. I find that insulting.
BIG Brother

Parsippany, NJ

#20 Dec 22, 2008
tabby wrote:
<quoted text>
if your from North Adams...why do u care what goes on in pittsfield. It's non of your business. The kids needed a break. They have had so many projects and stuff. Obviously you dont know much. So why dont u keep ur opinion 2 urself?!?!
Your from out of thre county, sooo, mind your OWN Business.
dr zeus

Chester, MA

#21 Dec 22, 2008
everyone knows children do not learn well while the potential for snow is there. Their anticipation for playing in it overrides their ability to focus on academics.

Studies show that children who stay home from school learn more from cartoons than those attending Pittsfield schools. My kids all dropped out in the eighth grade so they could watch cartoons. They are all in their 30s now and bagging groceries proving that school is much ado about nothing. Stay home kids...your wasting your time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Clinton Foundation will be 48 min Bibi Netanyahu 4
Marco, I knew President Obama 49 min Bibi Netanyahu 4
Mumia Abu Jamal is ill 52 min Bibi Netanyahu 4
Boomer, Take your money and stuff it. 53 min Bibi Netanyahu 4
So take that Bibi! I just 54 min Glen Back 1
The Brian Williams drive bye's continue 56 min Bibi Netanyahu 10
The sooner ISIS comes here & takes him out the ... 2 hr Rev Glen Back 6
More from around the web

Pittsfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE