Pittsfield Mayoral Race Heated debate...

Pittsfield Mayoral Race Heated debate on PCTV

There are 44 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Oct 22, 2009, titled Pittsfield Mayoral Race Heated debate on PCTV. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

One charged the other with spreading misinformation and slinging mud during their televised mayoral debate Thursday afternoon, yet incumbent James R. Ruberto and challenger Daniel L. Bianchi found room to agree on two things -- the Boston Red Sox and a belief each had the best interests for Pittsfield at heart.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pittsfield Voter

Olivebridge, NY

#1 Oct 23, 2009
J.R. has been asleep at the wheel. If he thinks discretionary spending was not cut first in 1991, he was not only out of town, but that he doesn't know much about municipal budgets.

Today's paper says that 726 state employees will be laid off; part of a workforce reduction of over 1,600. Does J.R. believe that his friend, the Governor, is incompetent for trimming the state payroll in this time of crisis?

In the budget ending in June 2008, J.R. boosted the school budget by $3 million and absorbed another $1 million of indirect school expenses in the city budget. This in spite of a slight decline in student enrollment. Officials had to scramble to spend the money before the end of the year. I'm sure the money wasn't wasted (most went for an early purchase of needed textbooks), but it goes to show that J.R.'s willy-nilly budgeting shows no logic or restraint.

With this kind of fiscal largess, it appears that there will be a lot of discretionary spending from the J.R. years that can be cut before any layoffs will be necessary. Lucky for Mayor Bianchi.
Adam Smith

AOL

#2 Oct 23, 2009
Pittsfield Voter wrote:
J.R. has been asleep at the wheel. If he thinks discretionary spending was not cut first in 1991, he was not only out of town, but that he doesn't know much about municipal budgets.
Today's paper says that 726 state employees will be laid off; part of a workforce reduction of over 1,600. Does J.R. believe that his friend, the Governor, is incompetent for trimming the state payroll in this time of crisis?
In the budget ending in June 2008, J.R. boosted the school budget by $3 million and absorbed another $1 million of indirect school expenses in the city budget. This in spite of a slight decline in student enrollment. Officials had to scramble to spend the money before the end of the year. I'm sure the money wasn't wasted (most went for an early purchase of needed textbooks), but it goes to show that J.R.'s willy-nilly budgeting shows no logic or restraint.
With this kind of fiscal largess, it appears that there will be a lot of discretionary spending from the J.R. years that can be cut before any layoffs will be necessary. Lucky for Mayor Bianchi.
Same old, same old. Will continue no matter who is elected.
bobdo

North Adams, MA

#3 Oct 23, 2009
Roberto is a whinning simp......."Unforgetable, thats what your are,unforgetable"
EXCELLENT

Berne, NY

#5 Oct 23, 2009
Wow the eagle does it again. Only partial quotes and ones which give it a different spin than facts. Making Roberto appear to be the victor- NOT-I erge everyone to watch it when its re-aired on channel 16 on Oct.28&29th to see and conclude how the rhythem of this debate actually went.
Prove me wrong

Latham, NY

#6 Oct 23, 2009
Once J.R. is defeated, he will be outta here in a heartbeat.
New Resident

Adams, MA

#7 Oct 23, 2009
My household's intelligence was insulted, King Jimmy's last mailing, It seems he is lower than Whale Shit.
Adam Smith

AOL

#8 Oct 23, 2009
New Resident wrote:
My household's intelligence was insulted, King Jimmy's last mailing, It seems he is lower than Whale ****.
If you weren't a new resident, but had been in Pittsfield during the Wojtkowski Administration, you'd know it was indeed as bad as the post card depicted, Bianchi was indeed part and parcel of that BS and holding him accountable for his involvment is a point well taken.
EXCELLENT

Berne, NY

#9 Oct 23, 2009
Adam Smith wrote:
<quoted text>If you weren't a new resident, but had been in Pittsfield during the Wojtkowski Administration, you'd know it was indeed as bad as the post card depicted, Bianchi was indeed part and parcel of that BS and holding him accountable for his involvment is a point well taken.
again more negative on both candidates. He was NOT the mayor then,he was NOT a councelor-if you saw the debate instead of throwing out YET more spew, you would have heard him explaining and taking responsibility for his part. Could you please go back under your rock? For some of us DO live here STILL. Lived through those days and continue to venture forward. You yourself previously stated, you DONT live here. You are not voting on this issue , then keep throwing mud at BOTH candidates. We hve HAVE have to choose one. You should not be in this discussion. Please can you go back under your rock and evalutate your own living conditions to determine who you will suppoert in your area?
Evil Grimace

Holyoke, MA

#10 Oct 23, 2009
Mayor McCheese's first order of business would be to give both these guys frosty Thick Shakes to enjoy! No controversy there!
Jeremy

Adams, MA

#11 Oct 23, 2009
Anyone up to date on JR's Ethic's Commision review. At one point I thought his pennants were to do a Public Service Announcement, I don't think his radio ad bashing of DB is it.

Also, I keep hearing JR saying 'he streamlined the permit process'. For who?
A Mom

Albany, NY

#12 Oct 23, 2009
JR is nothing more than the marionette whose strings are being pulled by the "good ol' boys" of Pittsfield. They're funding his campaign and boy, oh boy is the money being spent. Rather than sling mud how 'bout you tell me what you've done for the city in your past terms...oh, what's that...you don't have any accomplishments that are truly yours to claim? Right. Mr. Ruberto steals others ideas and accomplishments from claiming that he brought Barrington Stage to Pittsfield (not) right down to stealing the theme of a validictorian's speech and all the language of an Eagle Scouts presentation. NICE GUY! I don't know if Bianchi is the answer but I can tell you the Ruberto IS NOT!
BRUCE SMITH

York Haven, PA

#13 Oct 23, 2009
Dan Bianchi won the debate and is the right person to lead Pittsfield forward
Adam Smith

AOL

#14 Oct 23, 2009
EXCELLENT wrote:
<quoted text>
again more negative on both candidates. He was NOT the mayor then,he was NOT a councelor-if you saw the debate instead of throwing out YET more spew, you would have heard him explaining and taking responsibility for his part. Could you please go back under your rock? For some of us DO live here STILL. Lived through those days and continue to venture forward. You yourself previously stated, you DONT live here. You are not voting on this issue , then keep throwing mud at BOTH candidates. We hve HAVE have to choose one. You should not be in this discussion. Please can you go back under your rock and evalutate your own living conditions to determine who you will suppoert in your area?
Could you please direct me to the rules of the forum and which one you're relying upon to make the statement "You should not be in this discussion." Are only Catholics allowed to dicuss the pederast scandal, or are Protestants able to comment on that too? Can I comment on Israel, or is that something only Jews can have and express an opinion on? Am I, a Republican, allowed to comment upon candidates in Democrat primaries? I'd really like to know how you're deciding what I should and should not discuss.
EXCELLENT

Berne, NY

#15 Oct 23, 2009
You know what ,you are right. This is a public forum, i take responsibility and apologize for my comment regarding "you should not be in this discussion." I let my temper get the better of me.
tobefrank

South Hadley, MA

#17 Oct 23, 2009
Good job Mr. Ruberto.
Adam Smith

AOL

#18 Oct 23, 2009
EXCELLENT wrote:
You know what ,you are right. This is a public forum, i take responsibility and apologize for my comment regarding "you should not be in this discussion." I let my temper get the better of me.
Not a problem. Peace.
Tim Kushi

Watervliet, NY

#19 Oct 23, 2009
Pittsfield Voter wrote:
Pittsfield Voter = Sara Hathaway, I would bet $50 on this.
ruberto cheerleader

Granby, MA

#20 Oct 23, 2009
great job jimmy ruberto cant wait to c your victory dance.....keep this city movin forward
Pittsfieldtude

Watervliet, NY

#21 Oct 23, 2009
Tim Kushi wrote:
<quoted text>
Pittsfield Voter = Sara Hathaway, I would bet $50 on this.
I would agree and you win $50 most likely. Former Mayor/Former Teacher at Reid Sara would know this sort of thing and be so critical don't you think?
Citizen of the City

Northville, NY

#22 Oct 23, 2009
A Desperate Man wrote:
A desparate man will go to extraordinary lengths to smear his opponet.
That's what we're seeing when Jim "Horror Film" Ruberto takes on a losing battle to regain the upper caste to the nobiliest of them all, Mr. Dan Bianchi.
The citizens of Pittsfield know who the better man would be to parlay its long-range master plan into individual prosperity. Mr. Bianchi has a proven track record of fighting for those who are unacceptable members of the upper social stratum. Instead of subscribing to the Ruberto mantra of "We the imperialist," Mr. Bianchi preaches and practices, "We the People." That's the American way!
Moreover, my hope is Mr. Bianchi seizes the opportunity to cleanse the Pittsfield Police Department of the Ruberto SS. These storm-troopers, led by Officer Martin Streit, have taken community policing and turned it into a Khmer Rouge, Hilter-style Gestapo policing operation. They breakdown citizen doors, provock disputes and tell untruths in courts of law (that's why it's not uncommon for Mass. district court judges, sitting in Central Berkshire, to release defendantss on PR) Additionally, my hope is Mr. Bianchi will instruct the police department to rewrite its rules of engagment-from "shoot-to-kill, to a more concillatory, less adversarial approach. I think the impact on citizen cooperation, with the police, would begin to shine anew.
But that's just my opinion.
Vote, Dan Bianchi for mayor!
Like our fine Mayor Mr. Ruberto, Officer Martin Streit will continue to serve our fine City well. Without the both of them someone like you will deligate the wrong way of doing things in this city (as you most likley do in your own life). Why dont you run for Mayor or even try to become a Police Officer. I know why, because your a loser. Get a life.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dorothy van den Honert: Some advice for Hillary... 26 min Ozzie King Of Zyl... 24
News The Lantern: Lights out in 2 weeks 1 hr Ka Boom Talmudistan 14
News Police investigating stabbing that sent North A... 3 hr incestisbest 3
Hillary's new book released 3 hr Ka Boom Talmudistan 23
News Pittsfield man leads police on car, foot chase ... 5 hr Bernhard Goetz 3
News New Healey Told Resources Lacking to Combat Opi... 5 hr Matt is a thief 7
Muhammad Praxis33 18 hr Ka Boom Talmudistan 1

Pittsfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsfield Mortgages