Posted in the Pittsfield Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Molly

Albany, NY

#1 Jan 10, 2012
Meredith Nilan's alleged hit and run, from the BB a short while ago:
""We have a driver, we have a victim and we have a vehicle," said Pittsfield Police Capt. John Mullin.

A criminal citation for two misdemeanors -- leaving the scene of a personal injury accident and negligent operation of a motor vehicle -- were lodged against Meredith Nilan in District Court.

The case will go before a clerk magistrate for a show-cause hearing to determine if there’s enough evidence to charge Meredith Nilan. If no probable cause is found, the charges would be dismissed. If probable cause is found, a court arraignment would take place. The hearing date, as well as the hearing itself, is not public information."

Does anyone know why the hearing date, as well as the hearing itself, is not public information?? It is for everyone else! And a "criminal CITATION for two MISDEMEANORS"? Can anyone translate that? A citation doesn't sound like anything more than a citation for jay walking. And misdemeanors? A hit and run causing severe bodily injury is a misdemeanor? Who can shed some light on this?
Had to say something

AOL

#2 Jan 11, 2012
And the wheels on the bus go round and round, all day long. Only in Pittsfield. Justice is served. By who?
lil sis

Stockbridge, MA

#5 Jan 11, 2012
Molly wrote:
""We have a driver, we have a victim and we have a vehicle," said Pittsfield Police Capt. John Mullin.
A criminal citation for two misdemeanors -- leaving the scene of a personal injury accident and negligent operation of a motor vehicle -- were lodged against Meredith Nilan in District Court.
The case will go before a clerk magistrate for a show-cause hearing to determine if there’s enough evidence to charge Meredith Nilan. If no probable cause is found, the charges would be dismissed. If probable cause is found, a court arraignment would take place. The hearing date, as well as the hearing itself, is not public information."
Does anyone know why the hearing date, as well as the hearing itself, is not public information?? It is for everyone else! And a "criminal CITATION for two MISDEMEANORS"? Can anyone translate that? A citation doesn't sound like anything more than a citation for jay walking. And misdemeanors? A hit and run causing severe bodily injury is a misdemeanor? Who can shed some light on this?
As far as I know, a citation is just what the cops give you to tell you what you were charged with. It requires you to notify the court for a hearing date. THats normal practice. WHat I dont get is how leaving a scene with personal injury is only a misdeamor. My brother was charged with the same thing but his was a felony. Something fishy there.
Blindd Justice

Pawling, NY

#7 Jan 11, 2012
I see the berkshire country CJ system still had PLENTY OF WHITEWASH!s
heyjude

Albany, NY

#8 Jan 11, 2012
Hit and Run Laws in

Massachusetts

----------

(a 1/2)(1) Whoever operates a motor vehicle upon any way or in any place to which the public has right of access, or upon any way or in any place to which members of the public shall have access as invitees or licensees, and without stopping and making known his name, residence and the registration number of his motor vehicle, goes away after knowingly colliding with or otherwise causing injury to any person not resulting in the death of any person, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years and by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars.

This law should apply in this case, Mr. Moore's head went through the windshield of the car, not a dog or any other animal. Misleading the police to another location should not be acceptable as to clear any charges.
Hidey Ho

Hoboken, NJ

#9 Jan 11, 2012
heyjude wrote:
Hit and Run Laws in
Massachusetts

----------

(a 1/2)(1) Whoever operates a motor vehicle upon any way or in any place to which the public has right of access, or upon any way or in any place to which members of the public shall have access as invitees or licensees, and without stopping and making known his name, residence and the registration number of his motor vehicle, goes away after knowingly colliding with or otherwise causing injury to any person not resulting in the death of any person, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years and by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars.
This law should apply in this case, Mr. Moore's head went through the windshield of the car, not a dog or any other animal. Misleading the police to another location should not be acceptable as to clear any charges.
Good Stuff!
turkey killer Wynn

Albany, NY

#10 Jan 11, 2012
Molly wrote:
lucky for the victim that he didn't die because dead or alive he's not going to see much justice for this injustice
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Mclean, VA

#11 Jan 11, 2012
It would help to look up the article about the Lee teen that was charged just the other day for drunk driving that led to the death of his passenger, and compare how he was charged and whether it's a criminal citation versus how Meredith Nilan is being charged, along with whether notice is being given in re his arraignment, etc..

This citation lacking any other charges also begs the question whether Pittsfield Police even bothered to interview Meredith Nilan's fellow BYP party-goers at Allium Restaurant that night to see whether or not she imbibed alcohol beverages and how much.
The bartender and the waitress/server might also remember details about serving the group and who was tipsy and who was not.
turkey killer Wynn

Albany, NY

#12 Jan 11, 2012
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
It would help to look up the article about the Lee teen that was charged just the other day for drunk driving that led to the death of his passenger, and compare how he was charged and whether it's a criminal citation versus how Meredith Nilan is being charged, along with whether notice is being given in re his arraignment, etc..
This citation lacking any other charges also begs the question whether Pittsfield Police even bothered to interview Meredith Nilan's fellow BYP party-goers at Allium Restaurant that night to see whether or not she imbibed alcohol beverages and how much.
The bartender and the waitress/server might also remember details about serving the group and who was tipsy and who was not.
Cops are crime fabricators.
kate

Brockton, MA

#13 Jan 11, 2012
omg! nilan again gets away with yet another crime. first the strazzi drama now his daughter, boy if it where our kids!!! hit and run not serious!(only if you kids dad works in court) otherwise throw the book at that person. you mean she went home to daddy then went back! how stupid does that sound with her father working for the courts(is that what that teach there kids) i have alway told my kids never leave the scene! omg i teach the truth!

Mclean, VA

#17 Jan 11, 2012
That begs the question, why aren't Pittsfield Police charging Meredith Nilan with a felony given that it was a hit-and-run?
Why charge the Lenox 18-year-old with a felony but not the person who hits and runs?
Concerned

North Adams, MA

#18 Jan 11, 2012
That begs the question, why aren't Pittsfield Police charging Meredith Nilan with a felony given that it was a hit-and-run?
Why charge the Lenox 18-year-old with a felony but not the person who hits and runs?
It's likely because they didn't, at the time they issued the citation, have enough evidence to meet the knowingly collided element of the statute.
Scales of Justice

Wilbraham, MA

#24 Jan 11, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Most parents go out of their way to protect their kids. I'm not saying it's right, but I understand it.
What makes you think anyone posting here doesn't "understand" a parent protecting their kid? The offensiveness is the extreme, bone-head, effort to cover up the collision AND the complete lack of regard for life (whether human or animal).

Most parents would have asked, "What do you mean you 'think' you hit a dog or a deer?" Seeing the damage on the car, any resonable, rational, prudent person would have called the police FIRST (rather than taking a ride around the block, in the direction away from the main road she came off of).

Most parents are able to discern whether their kid was drinking. I can "understand" even a 20-year old taking a drink, but those "Buzzed-Driving" commercials were made for dopes like you and the Nilan's!!!
Molly

Albany, NY

#26 Jan 11, 2012
heyjude wrote:
Hit and Run Laws in
Massachusetts
----------
Good work! And leading the police to a different location should results in FURTHER charges! Yet she's only been cited with a misdemeanor...
Molly

Albany, NY

#27 Jan 11, 2012
From Iberkhires:
Philip Baruch Jr., 18, of Lenox was charged with one count of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and operating to endanger and causing the death of another and one count of speeding.
Baruch was the driver of a vehicle that struck a tree on Greylock Street in Lee on Dec. 30, 2011 and 17-year-old Remy Kirshner died as a result of the crash.
Baruch will be arraigned on in Southern Berkshire District Court on Feb. 2.<<<<<
----------
If Philip Baruch, Jr. is being charged with 'operating to endanger'(and other things) and is being arraigned on a known specified date, then why isn't Meredith Nilan also being arraigned on a known specified date and why isn't she similarly being charged with 'operating to endanger' rather than just being sent "a criminal citation for two misdemeanors" (which includes 'negligent operation of a motor vehicle').
Why are these two drivers being treated differently by the local prosecutor?
You're absolutely right! But we all know the answer...Nilan!!GOB!
Molly

Albany, NY

#29 Jan 11, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Because one is a felony and the other isn't. For misdemeanors, the police always send citations, which generate a show cause hearing. If the Clerk finds probable cause for a complaint to issue, then she'd be arraigned on a date certain.
You're just not getting it -- a hit and run is a FELONY! If the Lenox boy is being indicted, so should this girl. What - are you one of Meredith's little friends or what?
Concerned

North Adams, MA

#30 Jan 11, 2012
Molly wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just not getting it -- a hit and run is a FELONY! If the Lenox boy is being indicted, so should this girl. What - are you one of Meredith's little friends or what?
I agree with you that she should be punished. I'm just a little skeptical of some grand conspiracy being at work here. Nilan is already damaged goods. I don't think he has any pull with the Pittsfield Police Department. He should have been fired for his nonsense with Angelo, but this is a comedy of errors for his daughter. If she doesn't have a record, she'll do no time.
Winesap

Albany, NY

#31 Jan 12, 2012
I wonder if the deer and dog fable was Papas story. It is possible that the daughter told Papa the truth and he or his lawyer improvised.

And this could have just as easily been a kid on a bike who could not dodge a car speeding at them. Wonder if the response would have been any different.

Mclean, VA

#32 Jan 12, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you that she should be punished. I'm just a little skeptical of some grand conspiracy being at work here. Nilan is already damaged goods. I don't think he has any pull with the Pittsfield Police Department. He should have been fired for his nonsense with Angelo, but this is a comedy of errors for his daughter. If she doesn't have a record, she'll do no time.
'Concerned' of North Adams, is Meredith's daddy, Clifford Nilan, has no pull, why did Pittsfield Police have to go to Southern Berkshire District Court in Great Barrington to get a search warrant in this matter?

Mclean, VA

#33 Jan 12, 2012
Correction: Concerned' of North Adams, if Meredith's daddy, Clifford Nilan, has no pull, why did Pittsfield Police have to go to Southern Berkshire District Court in Great Barrington to get a search warrant in this matter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blacks are better off now than from 7 min Obama is finished 9
Obama has 2 years left to pass 8 min Obama is finished 11
Bruce Barnaby anything displayed are lies 3 hr brucebarnaby 7
Two NY cops shot dead in their car, brought to ... 5 hr Obama is finished 3
2 dead blacks, now 2 dead white cops, Obama say... 5 hr Obama is finished 1
Obama will do nothing to N.Korea for hacking, h... 9 hr Glen Back is Alwa... 14
Pittsfield man indicted on murder charge in fat... 10 hr Glen B 5
Pittsfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web