Enough whining about Tanglewood

Enough whining about Tanglewood

There are 23 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jun 10, 2010, titled Enough whining about Tanglewood. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Sometimes it seems as if Tanglewood is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. In response to a clamor in recent years from nearby inn owners, restaurateurs and other merchants for more popular artists, preferably in slower mid-week period, this summer's concert schedule includes a significant number of pop bookings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Roger D

Stafford Springs, CT

#1 Jun 11, 2010
Your article is very informative. The prices to the public are NOT what you state. The Ticketmaster prices are UNCONSCIONABLE. The tickets are marked up 200% to 300% from your mentioned already high prices and Ticketmaster is the ONLY place that sells the tickets according to Tanglewood. Do you think that $1185 +$219 +$15 =$1419 PER TICKET.is fair? In my opinion this is against everything that Tanglewood is SUPPOSED to stand for and I"m surprised that this kind of ticket scalping is legal. REGULAR people should be able to attend concerts, not just the rich, the powerful and the Wall Street bankers who brought our economy down.
Worth it

Berne, NY

#2 Jun 11, 2010
To see Clarence Fanto writing about the benefits of free enterprise near the end of the piece is worth the effort of slogging through the first 75%.
Prove me wrong

Albany, NY

#3 Jun 11, 2010
Very good #2!
OhMy

Cummington, MA

#4 Jun 11, 2010
Fanto writes:
Sorry, but no sympathy from this corner; those who price themselves into the stratosphere, especially in tough economic times, or who shut down for the winter, thumbing their noses at local residents, should re-examine their business models.

Isn't that the truth .. some of these so called B-and-B's charge an arm and a leg for a night's stay ( and then say a three night minimum ).. and these same "business-people" cry because of a room tax .. There are places in the Berkshires that charge over $600.-- a night for a room. But the artsy-fartsy's love it .. and then there is the price of gasoline that is controlled by two oil distributors .. But that's another subject .........
Check mate

New York, NY

#5 Jun 11, 2010
"Sorry, but no sympathy from this corner; those who price themselves into the stratosphere, especially in tough economic times, or who shut down for the winter, thumbing their noses at local residents, should re-examine their business models. "

First off bs, if any of the local residents actually went to lenox in January or February they would see how dead it is. The reason businesses close for the winter is because they get no local support. Unfortunately it is the tourists who spend the money and who keep the businesses open so they can pay there ridiculous taxes. This article gives perfect insight to this,$45 is not too much money to pay to see simon and garfunkel. If $45 drains your bank account then I am sure that you wouldn't be supporting your local restaurants before the show on top of the $45. This is a show for people with the money to spend on tickets, B&B's, food before, drinks after, and a little shopping when there is time. Bonus for locals because it adds a lot of money to a dreadful economy. For the locals that can afford the $45 per ticket they get to pack a picnic and zip home on the back road of their choice instead of sitting in traffic on main st.
Trey

Ballston Spa, NY

#6 Jun 12, 2010
Bring phish to town. That'll attract millions. Best phreaking band ever.
Phish Phace

Berne, NY

#7 Jun 12, 2010
Trey wrote:
Bring phish to town. That'll attract millions. Best phreaking band ever.
Just what we need, a bunch of stoned kids who haven't taken a bath in six months. No thanks!
Flo Baker

Pittsfield, MA

#8 Jun 12, 2010
Check mate wrote:
"Sorry, but no sympathy from this corner; those who price themselves into the stratosphere, especially in tough economic times, or who shut down for the winter, thumbing their noses at local residents, should re-examine their business models. "
First off bs, if any of the local residents actually went to lenox in January or February they would see how dead it is. The reason businesses close for the winter is because they get no local support. Unfortunately it is the tourists who spend the money and who keep the businesses open so they can pay there ridiculous taxes. This article gives perfect insight to this,$45 is not too much money to pay to see simon and garfunkel. If $45 drains your bank account then I am sure that you wouldn't be supporting your local restaurants before the show on top of the $45. This is a show for people with the money to spend on tickets, B&B's, food before, drinks after, and a little shopping when there is time. Bonus for locals because it adds a lot of money to a dreadful economy. For the locals that can afford the $45 per ticket they get to pack a picnic and zip home on the back road of their choice instead of sitting in traffic on main st.
"Unfortunately it is the tourists who spend the money and who keep the businesses open so they can pay there ridiculous taxes. "

So that's the way it is and has been for many years. Could be worse. Adapt, adapt, adapt.
Trey

Ballston Spa, NY

#9 Jun 12, 2010
Phish Phace wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what we need, a bunch of stoned kids who haven't taken a bath in six months. No thanks!
I have never been stoned at a phish show. Err I've never been not stoned. I can't remember and I've only seen them 36 times. I take showers, not baths.

Since: May 10

Adams, MA

#10 Jun 12, 2010
Lenox is a ghost town, lots of stores are closed, and forget about shopping in most of them as they are priced for the summer crowd.
wilbur

Boulder, CO

#11 Jun 12, 2010
another retread summer w/ a bunch of lefty has-beens.
wilbur

Boulder, CO

#12 Jun 12, 2010
Trey wrote:
Bring phish to town. That'll attract millions. Best phreaking band ever.
phish sucks, the "followers" are a bunch of lice infested slugs. one good thing, the chicks will do anything for a hit.
Okay wilbur

Berne, NY

#13 Jun 12, 2010
wilbur wrote:
<quoted text>
phish sucks, the "followers" are a bunch of lice infested slugs. one good thing, the chicks will do anything for a hit.
Okay, wilbur we know you don't like "lefty retreads" or Phish.

What DO you like?
Aww wilbur

Berne, NY

#14 Jun 12, 2010
wilbur wrote:
another retread summer w/ a bunch of lefty has-beens.
What does Mr. Ed say during sex?

Aww, Wilbur
yeah right

Granby, MA

#15 Jun 12, 2010
Okay wilbur wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, wilbur we know you don't like "lefty retreads" or Phish.
What DO you like?
He likes nude men
P Ditty Do Nuthin

Northville, NY

#16 Jun 12, 2010
Trey wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never been stoned at a phish show. Err I've never been not stoned. I can't remember and I've only seen them 36 times. I take showers, not baths.
Can I follow you? To Hell
Check mate

New York, NY

#17 Jun 12, 2010
Flo Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
"Unfortunately it is the tourists who spend the money and who keep the businesses open so they can pay there ridiculous taxes. "
So that's the way it is and has been for many years. Could be worse. Adapt, adapt, adapt.
The Unfortunate point that I was referring to was that it is a shame that locals don't support the businesses in the winter months when the tourists aren't around. Thank god for the tourists. It gets tiring hearing the locals say how businesses close for the winter and don't cater to the locals while the locals. There is a reason why places close for the winter, because the locals would rather sit home, when summer comes around they gripe because of the tourists. The fact is that a couple from the city comes to town for a three day weekend and spends more money at B&B's, restaurants, bars, and shops then Fanto does from the first snowfall until the end of mud season.
Maybe if

Berne, NY

#18 Jun 12, 2010
Check mate wrote:
<quoted text>
The Unfortunate point that I was referring to was that it is a shame that locals don't support the businesses in the winter months when the tourists aren't around. Thank god for the tourists. It gets tiring hearing the locals say how businesses close for the winter and don't cater to the locals while the locals. There is a reason why places close for the winter, because the locals would rather sit home, when summer comes around they gripe because of the tourists. The fact is that a couple from the city comes to town for a three day weekend and spends more money at B&B's, restaurants, bars, and shops then Fanto does from the first snowfall until the end of mud season.
Maybe if the residents had trust funds and stock portfolios that matched what the tourists have, they would spend like drunken sailors, too.

Besides, it's hard for many residents, especially the elderly to find spending money when they have to save up so many thousands to pay the onerous taxes in South County.
Check mate

New York, NY

#19 Jun 13, 2010
Maybe if wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if the residents had trust funds and stock portfolios that matched what the tourists have, they would spend like drunken sailors, too.
Besides, it's hard for many residents, especially the elderly to find spending money when they have to save up so many thousands to pay the onerous taxes in South County.
I don't necessarily argue with that, I find it frustrating that people like Fanto continuously whine about how places close in the winter while not supporting those places.
Fulltime resident now

United States

#20 Jun 13, 2010
Maybe if wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if the residents had trust funds and stock portfolios that matched what the tourists have, they would spend like drunken sailors, too.
Besides, it's hard for many residents, especially the elderly to find spending money when they have to save up so many thousands to pay the onerous taxes in South County.
If residents didn't complain so damn much about the people who keep the local economy going they'd figure out how to work the system to their benefit. That's right - second home owners (and tourists) spend the bucks and the savvy long time Berkshire resident has worked out a good symbiotic relationship with them to the point that the two groups are indistinguishable. Only the losers whine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McGovern Tapped as Executive Director of Boys &... 13 hr Kersey Fan 3
Baberuth Baseball 15 hr Orange Aid 123
News New Earl Persip Jumps Into Pittsfield City Coun... 17 hr Cops are Degenerates 3
News Earl Persip III announces run for Pittsfield Ci... 17 hr Cops are Degenerates 1
News Three suspects held without bail after large dr... 17 hr Cops are Degenerates 1
Where was the Stabbing Last Night 17 hr Cops are Degenerates 6
News Working group tackles addiction from all angles 17 hr DCF and other MON... 1

Pittsfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsfield Mortgages