Review: Berkshire Hills Coins and Est...

Review: Berkshire Hills Coins and Estate Jewelry

Posted in the Pittsfield Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ripped Off

Pittsfield, MA

#1 May 5, 2013
Berkshire Hills Coins and Estate Jewelry, owned by Peter Karpenski routinely pays many dollars less for scrap gold than out-of-area scrap gold dealers. NEVER take his offer until you've got others. The people in Albany came right out and told me he was a crook when I showed them the pittance he offered me. Instead of $200 that Karpenski offered, I got over $500 from the Albany deakler!

BEWARE YOUR WALLET WHEN DEALING WITH PETER KARPENSKI!!
DOA

United States

#2 May 5, 2013
Ripped Off wrote:
Berkshire Hills Coins and Estate Jewelry, owned by Peter Karpenski routinely pays many dollars less for scrap gold than out-of-area scrap gold dealers. NEVER take his offer until you've got others. The people in Albany came right out and told me he was a crook when I showed them the pittance he offered me. Instead of $200 that Karpenski offered, I got over $500 from the Albany deakler!
BEWARE YOUR WALLET WHEN DEALING WITH PETER KARPENSKI!!
This thread promises to have a short lifespan.
what

United States

#3 May 5, 2013
Go to Ferris coins in Albany for twice as much.
Ferris Coins

United States

#4 May 5, 2013
Yes this is where dealers go to sell their gold.

Top Dollar.

Don't deal with middle men.
Me too

Pittsfield, MA

#5 May 7, 2013
I never go to that place. Take your stuff anywhere but to that crook.
No better

Pittsfield, MA

#6 May 7, 2013
In the long run, he's not much better than Mark Joseph Jewelry.
Yup

Pittsfield, MA

#7 May 7, 2013
Yup, he's a crook.
Underweight

Pittsfield, MA

#8 May 8, 2013
Have a trusted person weigh your gold first. Pete's scale is very closely guarded, no one is allowed to examine it. You can guess why.
Plays Nice

United States

#9 May 8, 2013
Go to Ferris Coin...Go to New York.. Don't mail away you might as well throw it away.
Plays Nice

United States

#10 May 8, 2013
Ferris Coins wrote:
Yes this is where dealers go to sell their gold.
Top Dollar.
Don't deal with middle men.
Great Place!
I wonder if

United States

#11 May 8, 2013
Doesn't the govt have people who check scales and measurements and such?

Otherwise how do you know you are getting a full gallon at a gas station?

If a person feels cheated on the weight he is quoted then can he call in a surprise audit and checking of someone's scales?

Anyone know how this works?
Too easy

Pittsfield, MA

#12 May 8, 2013
I wonder if wrote:
Doesn't the govt have people who check scales and measurements and such?
Otherwise how do you know you are getting a full gallon at a gas station?
If a person feels cheated on the weight he is quoted then can he call in a surprise audit and checking of someone's scales?
Anyone know how this works?
Pete has a hand-held scale and there are NO STICKERS ON IT like there are on gas pumps and bottle redemption machines. So, even if the guy comes to check, how do we know which scale he's checked?

Also, every morning when the gold report comes out Pete supposedly adjusts the scale to reflect that day's price. So how do you double-check that?

It's just too damn easy to be a cheat.
I wonder if

United States

#13 May 8, 2013
Too easy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete has a hand-held scale and there are NO STICKERS ON IT like there are on gas pumps and bottle redemption machines. So, even if the guy comes to check, how do we know which scale he's checked?
Also, every morning when the gold report comes out Pete supposedly adjusts the scale to reflect that day's price. So how do you double-check that?
It's just too damn easy to be a cheat.
Couldn't the agency go in there with a knowen amount of gold and it had better match what they already know is the weight?

If they do catch someone cheating like a scrap steel yard, what do they do? Is everyone who sold to them entitled to a refund or are they just fined?

Somebody should be out there checking these things.
Too easy

Pittsfield, MA

#14 May 8, 2013
In this town, where everything is always done on the up and up and nobody is corrupt Pete would ever be tipped off in advance. Right?
Family

United States

#15 May 8, 2013
Too easy wrote:
In this town, where everything is always done on the up and up and nobody is corrupt Pete would ever be tipped off in advance. Right?
THANKS PPD
Jimmy P

Pittsfield, MA

#16 May 9, 2013
I wish I ahd red this before I went there. It seemed like an awfully low offer for all the gold I had.
Me too

United States

#17 May 9, 2013
Wish others would step up and speak up. Time to stop CRIME.
swtldy

Pittsfield, MA

#18 May 9, 2013
Too easy wrote:
In this town, where everything is always done on the up and up and nobody is corrupt Pete would ever be tipped off in advance. Right?
I have been told:

That is because he has been known to bribe with gold watches or whatever. He has people at banks that give him your private info.
Light weight scales

Pittsfield, MA

#19 May 9, 2013
I wonder if wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't the agency go in there with a knowen amount of gold and it had better match what they already know is the weight?
If they do catch someone cheating like a scrap steel yard, what do they do? Is everyone who sold to them entitled to a refund or are they just fined?
Somebody should be out there checking these things.
Speaking of cheating at a scrap steel yard is that guy on Merriam street still in business. Cuz I hear he has a tendency to, well lets just say you can get more for you metal elsewhere. A lot more
nurse at BMC

United States

#20 May 9, 2013
I took some 14K & 18K here and got $250.00. Now I'm wondering how much I should have gotten. I didn't know they paid so much better elsewhere. I wish I did.

Someone should have posted these warnings long ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Youth Works delivers hope and real-world experi... 3 hr Cops are degenerates 2
I Guess Tom Didn't Like Con Exposure. 9 hr Harley Rider 1
Donald Trump: The next President of the United ... (Aug '15) 10 hr Dink 45
Help a Brother Out 13 hr Harley Rider 2
Someone is drinking again 14 hr george t 2
News Methadone clinic eyeing move from Summer Street... Fri Cops are degenerates 2
News Hoop Dreams: New Dower Square basketball court ... Fri cops are degener... 24

Pittsfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsfield Mortgages