Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes

Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes

There are 283 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Feb 26, 2009, titled Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

After 40 years of serving young women with emotional issues, the Valleyhead school has closed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Dr Roths Child

Pittsfield, MA

#273 Apr 5, 2014
It's like a box within a box around here, only the dimensions are much more symmetrical. Oh, and and all the colors. "Don't" forget the colors.
Dr Roths Child

Pittsfield, MA

#274 Apr 5, 2014
And the circles! Never forget the circles. No one size is the same as the other.
Ever....
Pie.
luckygirl83

East Hartford, CT

#275 Apr 22, 2014
I have to say that I'm not at all surprised that Valleyhead is shut down I heard stories about girls getting over medicated and sexually abused I was lucky I didn't die there I was there in 99 to 2001 I heard the art teacher had a relationship with a girl there at the time .Also I was giving some kind of meds that weren't right I started to hallucinate real bad like I was on acid or something git was bad my heart was speeding up and when I talked to the staff there he told me I know what I did I got know help whats so ever it was two nights before I left out of there I saw a staff member go up and the stairs and when I opend the door again it was like he was doing the same thing coming up the stairs I was freaked out I had no help to support me to tell me everthing was fine I went back in my room that I was gonna jump out the window I was scared and know one helped me they had a lot of African staffs there for some reason i dont know I loved some of the staffs there though I miss the sceneries and talking to the horses when I ranned away to the horse farm some things were good and bad for me I was lucky and lucky I only stayed for a short time.I was way below average with my learning but I passed high school with other help from Hartford hospitals school at grace web for mental illness kids they helped me a lot but I will never forget Valleyhead and me being drugged and could had died there.
luckygirl83

East Hartford, CT

#276 Apr 22, 2014
Anyhow I was never abused sexually and always treated nice there only got one restraint and it wasn't bad at all just a misunderstanding when I first got there but Valleyhead was wonderful for me I loved the staffs there papa merit gave me a t shirt for the presidential election he wanted to take me along to the white house but I couldn't go he was a nice guy I loved the trips we took I loved going places with staffs they had a place near Valleyhead to do yoga and or meditate it was fun we went shopping for clothes and got a prom dress I go two dresses we went to the museum there I had a blast and it was better then home in my opinion at staff there brought my self esteem way up and im thankful for that yes I ran away yes I had my personal issues there with myself but no staff touched me or said hurtful things about me but the only thing I didn't like was the night that I was drugged with a different medication I really thought I was dying not a good experience but other then that I loved it there. Couldnt wait to leave though to move on with my life but I will never forget the good times at valleyhead and I loved the horses there when I ranned away they listen to me loved the power walks it was a good overall experience for me wont forget it.I'm sorry for those that had bad experience there but ya got to look at the good times there too like the scenery it was so beautiful there I wont forget it.
Anonymous

Waterbury, CT

#277 May 7, 2014
Lisa Thibault wrote:
I no how vally head burnd down I no who did ti but I cant say ha ha he he za zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa can I have last drag he he I will drag you all to your grave I will see vally head in helllllllllll ha ha ha ha ha za za zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lisa, You're a trip. I always liked your attitude. You go girl. LOL.
Gabby

Mount Vernon, NY

#278 Jul 4, 2014
Brian wrote:
Dear Grace. I am not sure which cognitively distorted rose colored glasses you look out of? but i worked there for two years. Their financial records, investigations over the years, The kids there were financially exploited by Matthew Merrit Its called misappropriation of funds,Willful Denial, Over medication, There have been so many complaints by staff and parents that the FBI and a whole group of Private Investigators (some that worked there) Hint and it was all a collaborative effort with Special Investigators from dys,occs,dss(mutistate level). this has been a long time coming and was well worth it. Are any of you really surprised?? Money can only protect you for so long. I wish all the best to the survivors of valleyhead,desisto and many other crappy residential school across this country.
-M-
I'm not sure which staff you are but I was a resident at valley head 06-07 I stayed in Roosevelt house then was later moved to Anthony
DSS DYS DCF are Monsters

Hope, ME

#279 Jul 5, 2014
Never ending allegations of DYS/DSS/DCF/CPS profiting off the exploitation of kids. Drugging kids with psychotropic drugs, FOR PROFIT, again, I'm NOT shocked.
Praxis33

United States

#280 Jul 7, 2014
DSS DYS DCF are Monsters wrote:
Never ending allegations of DYS/DSS/DCF/CPS profiting off the exploitation of kids. Drugging kids with psychotropic drugs, FOR PROFIT, again, I'm NOT shocked.
I see your mother was shocked to find out that you are really smaller than the 1 inch you claim to be. Only a mm or so but still. You have to be the most pitiful mother satisfyier on this earth. You mom gets you off with her wealth of experience but you can't return the favor. Just because you mother is "well worn" shouldn't stop you. No doubt there are have been 100's before you.
Renelle

United States

#281 Jul 9, 2014
I attended valleyhead myself. I remember one girl swallowed a fork and nothing was done. I watched my friends walk around with staples in there skin. I'm glad I was removed from the school. No young girl should have to be in a place like that. Thank goodness its been closed.
lisa mckeon

Melbourne, FL

#283 Jul 11, 2014
rebecca wrote:
Kárma's a bitch. Mrs. Meritt is burning in hell...one can only hope. Mr ( Doc) is in jail. The rest of us will suffer from PTSD for our remaking years. No good came from VH. MAY IT DIE with all of our pain.
Lisa M class of77-78
I couldn't have said it any better myself.. I knoe th state of ri paid $150,000.00 a year for me alone..I am so sad to here how many other girl, lost girls who were abused in the real world, only to be handed off to the Merritts for more abuse...I will pray for us all always..I love you all
lisa mckeon

Melbourne, FL

#284 Jul 11, 2014
Marianne Smith wrote:
<quoted text> I was there in the middle 80's and I know this was still happening then. You are not a liar. These people were evil.
Kkww like I said before I was at VH 77-78, I remember the merrits bid house up theon the hill and just before tennis courts. I can still picture the wooden house with hugh clear window were the Merritts would look down on thier " kingdom". I heard of the sex that went on with staff and eachother ,that is why Dr M watched over his oen kids in fear of what could happen to us would happen to them. BTW someone mentioned what happen to them when they ran, here's what happen when I ran in 77.I was in transition house the only newer building except for merrit house. An loud alarm rang out as all the staff and students were sent into the woods an dirt road going toward bird sanctuary. Then when caught you had to wear your pj's and my footwear was taken, I had to sit in corner,sleep and eat in corner. You could talk to anyone not even expediter for.2 weeks. Life sucked at Valley Head, there was not enough good to save us from ptsd.. Yet I am a survived, yes will ptsd but Merritt didn't kill me cause my girls, my roommates, my sisters of Valleyhead had my back thank you ladies especially Norma
Darros

Turners Falls, MA

#285 Jul 17, 2014
I was there in the 70's maybe 76 77 something like that and it was a beautiful location with some scary shit going on. I was removed from there but I had to run away a few times and call and scream for help to deaf ears. I remember my last day there.......... all hell was breaking loose and fr some reason my mother called and a teacher answered and told her that it wasn't safe for anyone to sty there. We the kids were running down a hill trying to escape some over drugged kid who was trying to slash us with shards of mirror.
I can think of anything good to say except.......... I made a coupe of friends there that I have stayed friends with for all this time.
No one in my family.......... nore my friends will ever know and understand the suffering we endured in that hell hole. And there is no compensation high enough to compensate us for the pain and the anguish that lingers still after over 30 years.

Since: Jul 14

Waterbury, CT

#286 Jul 27, 2014
"Lisa M class of77-78
I couldn't have said it any better myself.. I knoe th state of ri paid $150,000.00 a year for me alone..I am so sad to here how many other girl, lost girls who were abused in the real world, only to be handed off to the Merritts for more abuse...I will pray for us all always..I love you all"

Lisa, I was at VH in 1985-86. When I was there some of the staff members were ignorant and abusive towards the clients. There was one male staff member that tried to get in my pants and I wouldn't let him. Mr. Martin , Mr. Worth, and Mr. Hanser were my favorite staff members. They never did any harm to me.
NY TOMBOY

Norfolk, VA

#287 Jul 27, 2014
lisa mckeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Kkww like I said before I was at VH 77-78, I remember the merrits bid house up theon the hill and just before tennis courts. I can still picture the wooden house with hugh clear window were the Merritts would look down on thier " kingdom". I heard of the sex that went on with staff and eachother ,that is why Dr M watched over his oen kids in fear of what could happen to us would happen to them. BTW someone mentioned what happen to them when they ran, here's what happen when I ran in 77.I was in transition house the only newer building except for merrit house. An loud alarm rang out as all the staff and students were sent into the woods an dirt road going toward bird sanctuary. Then when caught you had to wear your pj's and my footwear was taken, I had to sit in corner,sleep and eat in corner. You could talk to anyone not even expediter for.2 weeks. Life sucked at Valley Head, there was not enough good to save us from ptsd.. Yet I am a survived, yes will ptsd but Merritt didn't kill me cause my girls, my roommates, my sisters of Valleyhead had my back thank you ladies especially Norma
Hi Kim
Valleyhead Survivors Club

Albany, NY

#288 Oct 7, 2014
Gabby wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure which staff you are but I was a resident at valley head 06-07 I stayed in Roosevelt house then was later moved to Anthony
Gabby, I remember you as the youngest, most resilient resident at that hellhole. You are a survivor honey, I hope you have healed from that traumatic experience. I am still haunted by those horrific memories of that dreadful place, my prayers go out to all the girls who suffered there.
DCF and other Monsters

Hope, ME

#289 Oct 8, 2014
History have proved over and over again that the mission of agencies and organizations eager to "help" save your kids is really only interested in zealously exploiting kids to death. History has also proved beyond all doubt that agencies and organizations interested in "saving" kids are a haven for greedy frauds and charlatans and perverts and quacks and sexual predators and sadists.
Praxis33

United States

#290 Oct 8, 2014
DCF and other Monsters wrote:
History have proved over and over again that the mission of agencies and organizations eager to "help" save your kids is really only interested in zealously exploiting kids to death. History has also proved beyond all doubt that agencies and organizations interested in "saving" kids are a haven for greedy frauds and charlatans and perverts and quacks and sexual predators and sadists.
The valleyhead girls will show you have to strap on a big one so you can spread your mothers legs wide and go to town. You mother might even look at you and say faster son, faster. As she moans faster you might just satisfy her whoring skank for the first time. Make sure you clean up your mothers happy ending with your tongue. Don't be the same greedy fraud or the loser we all know your are.
SCk

United States

#291 Oct 9, 2014
I attended in 1977! My experience was a nightmare.
DCF and other Monsters

Hope, ME

#292 Oct 9, 2014
History has proven over and over again that the mission of these agencies and organizations eager "help" save kids are really only interested in zealously exploiting kids to death. History has also proven beyond all doubt that agencies and organizations eager to get their hands on kids are a haven for greedy frauds, cheats, charlatans, perverts, quacks, sexual predators, and sadists.
Praxis33

United States

#293 Oct 9, 2014
DCF and other Monsters wrote:
History has proven over and over again that the mission of these agencies and organizations eager "help" save kids are really only interested in zealously exploiting kids to death. History has also proven beyond all doubt that agencies and organizations eager to get their hands on kids are a haven for greedy frauds, cheats, charlatans, perverts, quacks, sexual predators, and sadists.
You really should have the girls show you how to strap one on. That will help when your mother spreads wide and you look at her huge hole. You ever wonder how your whoring mother got that big? Forget using your 1 inch boner on your mother as it will never work in satisfying her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New SABIC Leaves 'Bittersweet' Parting Gift To ... 6 hr RITA Y CHATTE 8
Never Marry A 14 Year Old. 6 hr Tom Fontaine 10
New hires 11 hr concerned citizen 11
Trump now leads RCP average 11 hr Sparky Fire Dog 5
Trump will cut benefits 11 hr Sparky Fire Dog 1
News Self storage and U-Haul store planned for old p... 11 hr Sparky Fire Dog 2
News Ex-Pittsfield city councilor submits to probati... (Jan '16) Sun cops are degenerates 10

Pittsfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsfield Mortgages