City panel divided over Shaker grant

Full story: Berkshire Eagle

A City Council subcommittee has given mixed reviews to Hancock Shaker Village receiving a $250,000 city grant for a major restoration project that proponents said would stimulate the local economy.
Comments
41 - 59 of 59 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Praise the Lord

Amherst, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2010

JIMMY G PITTSFIELD MA wrote:
<quoted text>I am not, in any sense of the word, your friend. You are the fool to be duped by these people who are only out for self gain. Ellen, you still haven't answered my question- How many permanent, full time jobs will this provide FOR PITTSFIELD RESIDENTS?
JimBo you have to be the dumbest person I know!! How the Heck can you say only Pittsfied residents can only be hired? Maybe they need a greeter so you can apply for that job! Iknow your on disablility but just because your in a wheel chair isn't there a job that will pay you to get off your lazy Arse?/ Im sick of my tax money paying you to play on the computer.. Time to get a life and get off the tax roll that you hate so much. GET A FRIGGIN LIFE!! GET A JOB!!!!
confused one

South Hadley, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2010

First of all ;This is monies that are to off set taxes for the people of Pittsfield . THey are not for private use Jimmy R please stop giving away my tax $'s to private project I just pad $ 1775 in taxes .You have no right to give it to anyone or anyone.Use my taxes to put teachers in the schools,maybe we can get the kids some paper in the bath rooms or maybe the sport kids off the roadsbegging $'s to play sports in this fine city. Elen I don't care about your roof .I care about our streetsOur cities well being . I can't believe you have the nerve to even ask for our tax $ for your personal use . The Bank isclosed

“Limitedtimeoffer exps21122012”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsfield

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2010

Judged:

confused one wrote:
First of all ;This is monies that are to off set taxes for the people of Pittsfield . THey are not for private use Jimmy R please stop giving away my tax $'s to private project I just pad $ 1775 in taxes .You have no right to give it to anyone or anyone.Use my taxes to put teachers in the schools,maybe we can get the kids some paper in the bath rooms or maybe the sport kids off the roadsbegging $'s to play sports in this fine city. Elen I don't care about your roof .I care about our streetsOur cities well being . I can't believe you have the nerve to even ask for our tax $ for your personal use . The Bank isclosed
HSV and UMASS Amherst are private? If my private M2 is mounted on top top of my private house you should not be concerned.
jackass

Rensselaer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Idontlivethere wrote:
Many of these so called struggling High Schools have some nice property too. Perhaps they should sell some?
Perhaps.
immoral greed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, keep it civil, also keep it from being political favors. It is a museum,all these years been running on its on with donations and gate fees. Keep it that way! Pittsfield cannot fix my street, and you need $250K, I have a historical house, could I have some of that funding, I think not.
Right. If the city was flush with cash maybe I could understand it. But as the man says the streets are worse than they have been in 40 years. We have no money for park directors or enough life guards. Taxes are going up EVERY GD YEAR. Library funding cut. Would not it be a better use for this money to fund the library that EVERYONE can use???

It is all politics with the same glad handing crap that Ruberto has made famous. If the Shaker village takes this money from the Pittsfield taxpayers the place should be boycotted...just like the Beacon theater and Spice. I am so sick of the greedy parasites that have infested this area.
Spider

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

immoral greed wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. If the city was flush with cash maybe I could understand it. But as the man says the streets are worse than they have been in 40 years. We have no money for park directors or enough life guards. Taxes are going up EVERY GD YEAR. Library funding cut. Would not it be a better use for this money to fund the library that EVERYONE can use???
It is all politics with the same glad handing crap that Ruberto has made famous. If the Shaker village takes this money from the Pittsfield taxpayers the place should be boycotted...just like the Beacon theater and Spice. I am so sick of the greedy parasites that have infested this area.
How right you are!!!! I completely forgot about the "library" issue. Charity begins at home!

By the way, has Spear been a big contributor to Ruberto, or is that just a rumor?

Since: May 10

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Since she seems to be ignoring the other thread:

Please answer the following:
As part of the HSV master land plan, have you explored with the help of developers and real estate agents, that are both local and from out of the area, a sighting plan for a series of condos and an office park near the corner of RT 41 and 20.
Both parcels of land now have access to cities sewer because of the pumping station and sewer line put in for Interprint and Richmond shores.
One of the people that came up with this master land plan is a developer, and another a local real estate agent who estimated the value of the total development as a partner deal at approximately $4 million.

How much are you paid each year and how much did you spend last year, or your last fully audited year, on travel and entertainment? So we do not play semantics, travel and entertainment in the sense that you traveled, using HSV funds, spent money on lodgings and meals, seeing sights, and all secondary travel expenses such as car rentals, etc.
My understanding, from members of your own staff, is that if there is an opportunity to save money on a trip, you don't. An example would be hiring a car service when a taxi would do; staying at better than average hotels when economy hotels are available and sufficient. If you need more examples to jog your memory they can be provided.

Why, during business hours, do you spend so much time on facebook and using HSV technology and equipment to make personal plans for dinner, chat with friends, and basically surf the web for frivolous purposes not related to the operation of HSV?

Why should Pittsfield give a grant to your organization when your office's lack of fiscal austerity is so blatant?

So please address each question as best you can as you seem to have ignored the last attempt at getting clarification on HSV plans when more facts were presented.
killjoys

Monson, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

immoral greed wrote:
<quoted text>
So the city is going or has it gone to hell in a handbasket. So Mayor Ruberto wants to take care of his cronies and really does not want to hear all this complaining bullshit from taxpayers. Leave the guy alone, let him give money away to anyone he want, as if we could stop him anyway. Or, start boycotting all his success stories and you might get his attention. I really hope the Ethics Commission confirms what many of us already know. I'd really like to know how he got elected again.

Since: Jan 09

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

killjoys wrote:
<quoted text>So the city is going or has it gone to hell in a handbasket. So Mayor Ruberto wants to take care of his cronies and really does not want to hear all this complaining **** from taxpayers. Leave the guy alone, let him give money away to anyone he want, as if we could stop him anyway. Or, start boycotting all his success stories and you might get his attention. I really hope the Ethics Commission confirms what many of us already know. I'd really like to know how he got elected again.
By his supporters threatening people and threatening to call in LOANS (A.S.) By threatening boycotts of businesses and spreading lies about his opponent by using a slimy PR company to do so. By promising city employees raises and not delivering. Just little stuff like that.
goat testis hucksters

Monson, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

What makes anyone thing a lady of such obvious class and substance like Ms. Spears would take time out of her busy schedule to respond to questions from crass clods who don't want to give her money. It appears that the only way this lady is going to respond to you is if you're willing to give her money. Just drop $250,000 in this lady's lap and I'm sure she'll respond to you. And isn't she promising you won't be disappointed? It's not a money back guarantee but what is these days.

Since: May 10

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

As part of the HSV master land plan, have you explored with the help of developers and real estate agents, that are both local and from out of the area, a sighting plan for a series of condos and an office park near the corner of RT 41 and 20.
Both parcels of land now have access to cities sewer because of the pumping station and sewer line put in for Interprint and Richmond shores.
One of the people that came up with this master land plan is a developer, and another a local real estate agent who estimated the value of the total development as a partner deal at approximately $4 million.

How much are you paid each year and how much did you spend last year, or your last fully audited year, on travel and entertainment? So we do not play semantics, travel and entertainment in the sense that you traveled, using HSV funds, spent money on lodgings and meals, seeing sights, and all secondary travel expenses such as car rentals, etc.
My understanding, from members of your own staff, is that if there is an opportunity to save money on a trip, you don't. An example would be hiring a car service when a taxi would do; staying at better than average hotels when economy hotels are available and sufficient. If you need more examples to jog your memory they can be provided.

Why, during business hours, do you spend so much time on facebook and using HSV technology and equipment to make personal plans for dinner, chat with friends, and basically surf the web for frivolous purposes not related to the operation of HSV?

Why should Pittsfield give a grant to your organization when your office's lack of fiscal austerity is so blatant?

So please address each question as best you can as you seem to have ignored the last attempt at getting clarification on HSV plans when more facts were presented.
utopia

Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Were we misled?
utopia

Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

immoral greed wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another little $250,000 jem to add to Ruberto's infamous legacy.
Spider

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

It's now been two years since we gave $250,000 to Hancock. Did they live up to their promises....you know,a UMASS satellite campus complete with students living and buying in Pittsfield....helping Pittsfield preserve historic homes, ETC.) Oh yes, and $90,000 coming back to Pittsfield?

Any one out there know? Or have we been duped again?
bye bye money

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Spider wrote:
It's now been two years since we gave $250,000 to Hancock. Did they live up to their promises....you know,a UMASS satellite campus complete with students living and buying in Pittsfield....helping Pittsfield preserve historic homes, ETC.) Oh yes, and $90,000 coming back to Pittsfield?
Any one out there know? Or have we been duped again?
Good Luck getting a quick answer to that. And god luck getting an answer that makes any sense.
really

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

bye bye money wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Luck getting a quick answer to that. And god luck getting an answer that makes any sense.
yessir - for sure. lots out there that should be questioned. how soon we forget - I guess I had. Dan Valenti - here's another one for you to investigate.
Spider

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

really wrote:
<quoted text>
yessir - for sure. lots out there that should be questioned. how soon we forget - I guess I had. Dan Valenti - here's another one for you to investigate.
Wouldn't you think that some member of the city council would take it upon themselves to find out. Everyone's upset about Spectrum's $100,000 (including me), but I want to know exactly how Hancock spent our gift of $250,000. Aren't they accountable to us?
Old Grampy

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you think that some member of the city council would take it upon themselves to find out. Everyone's upset about Spectrum's $100,000 (including me), but I want to know exactly how Hancock spent our gift of $250,000. Aren't they accountable to us?
these folk are not going to investigate misdeeds they are in on dude.
Autumn in the Berkshires

Stillwater, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2012

confused one wrote:
Maybe a methadone clinic should consider opening at HSV. It's absolutely lovely there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Pittsfield Forum right now

Search the Pittsfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Worst Trolls On The Internet Are The Govern... 9 min are you kidding 148
Hearing on Bianchi Complaint Adjourns After... 55 min DCF are Monsters 13
Ex-city councilor resigns state post (May '10) 1 hr the city I hate 124
Malumphy is prepared to be mayor (Sep '09) 1 hr Praxis33 17
the real Praxis33: REDACTED 3 hr Praxis33 33
Budget cuts threaten dental service (May '10) 5 hr are you kidding 26
Councilor targets Collingwood, wants him to be ... 7 hr Praxis33 11
•••
•••