Raid nets drugs, money are found in a Curtis Street apartment o...

Full story: Berkshire Eagle

A drug raid in Pittsfield's troubled Morningside neighborhood resulted in the arrest of four city residents and the seizure of more than $12,000 in cash and drugs, according to law enforcement officials.
Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 17, 2009
 
Editor: this story title makes no sense...it should read either:

"Raid nets drugs and money in a Curtis Street apartment on Thursday"

or ...

"Drugs and money are found in a Curtis Street apartment drug raid"

How can we expect a high level of work from our local students if we don't get it from our own paper?
Prove me wrong

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 17, 2009
 
Either way, they will be released and home for dinner.
john

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 17, 2009
 
they wont be released they did not rape anyone

“Someone needs an Enema”

Since: Feb 09

Pittsfield

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 17, 2009
 
Lets publish the names of the owners of the 10 cars that Officer Price wittnessed at the drug house on the front page of the Eagle! Eliminating the demand will assist in eliminating the supply.
we all pay

Great Barrington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 17, 2009
 
Austin's son must be so proud. Its sick. You get everything that is deserved. Another broken family. Just to do and sell drugs!! Congratulations looser!
Automatic 2 yrs for school zone
SENSITIVE

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 17, 2009
 
I hate these people who comment on errors that they catch in The Eagle. Hell, if I had a penny for every mistake I've caught over the years I could buy the Eagle. What people like the fellow who criticized the paper don't realize is that newspapers are produced very quickly, without the luxury of multiple revisions. Weekly and monthly magazines have that luxury, but not our own daily here in the Berks. It's better than many I've seen, and I've been all over the country.

Since: Aug 08

Lee. MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 18, 2009
 
It seems to me that this same article on been in the on line version of the paper for the last 3 or 4 days. I know they can find more to write about and quit with the reruns.
Observer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 18, 2009
 
SENSITIVE wrote:
I hate these people who comment on errors that they catch in The Eagle. Hell, if I had a penny for every mistake I've caught over the years I could buy the Eagle. What people like the fellow who criticized the paper don't realize is that newspapers are produced very quickly, without the luxury of multiple revisions. Weekly and monthly magazines have that luxury, but not our own daily here in the Berks. It's better than many I've seen, and I've been all over the country.
You miss the point. I think that there is a certain level of standard expected of professional writers, one that would eliminate or severely minimize the number of careless grammatical and English usage mistakes you find regularly occuring in the Eagle. Multiple revisions shouldn't be needed if it was done properly in the first place.

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 18, 2009
 
SENSITIVE wrote:
I hate these people who comment on errors that they catch in The Eagle. Hell, if I had a penny for every mistake I've caught over the years I could buy the Eagle. What people like the fellow who criticized the paper don't realize is that newspapers are produced very quickly, without the luxury of multiple revisions. Weekly and monthly magazines have that luxury, but not our own daily here in the Berks. It's better than many I've seen, and I've been all over the country.
If you are willing to accept a lower level of excellence be my guest. However, there are those of us who try hard to maintain a certain level of professionalism.

Don't criticize schools for graduating illiterate people and then congratulate those same people when they still can't put together a decent sentence!People will only rise to the level of excellence to which they are held.

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 18, 2009
 
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You miss the point. I think that there is a certain level of standard expected of professional writers, one that would eliminate or severely minimize the number of careless grammatical and English usage mistakes you find regularly occuring in the Eagle. Multiple revisions shouldn't be needed if it was done properly in the first place.
Exactly! Thank you.
lady

Chicopee, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 18, 2009
 
It's such a shame that just about every day I have to read about drug raids, stabbings, and shootings that occur in Pittsfield in the Eagle. The city is going to hell and I am actually ashamed to tell people that I grew up there. I wish these dirty low lifes would leave my city! There are a lot of good people who live in Pittsfield who deserve better than to have to live around these scumbags!
whattheheck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 18, 2009
 
lady wrote:
It's such a shame that just about every day I have to read about drug raids, stabbings, and shootings that occur in Pittsfield in the Eagle. The city is going to hell and I am actually ashamed to tell people that I grew up there. I wish these dirty low lifes would leave my city! There are a lot of good people who live in Pittsfield who deserve better than to have to live around these ****!
Well.. unfortunately we invite this type of people in many ways. We allow more and more section 8 programs into our city. We make it easier for teenagers to have kids at 15 or 16. We make it even easier by making more programs available when they continue to spit kids out with numerous fathers. We have too many assistance programs and don't give that assistance to the right people.

If we cut off this assistance, the losers will move or stay away. If we get tougher on crime, the criminals will as well.

It makes sense to me, but in this liberal state it would never happen.

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 18, 2009
 
whattheheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.. unfortunately we invite this type of people in many ways. We allow more and more section 8 programs into our city. We make it easier for teenagers to have kids at 15 or 16. We make it even easier by making more programs available when they continue to spit kids out with numerous fathers. We have too many assistance programs and don't give that assistance to the right people.
If we cut off this assistance, the losers will move or stay away. If we get tougher on crime, the criminals will as well.
It makes sense to me, but in this liberal state it would never happen.
Oh, of course, what were we "liberals" thinking? How could we give assistance to those in need? Let's throw all those kids out into the night to fend for themselves, shall we? And, while we're at it, lets cut off all those nasty little programs dedicated to stopping hunger in this country...after all, if we just let all those we deem as 'undesirable' wither in the wind, we may have a lot more problems within the emergency rooms and hospitals, what with all the issues like malnutrition and homelessness... but we'll just wait til they all die and bury them in unmarked graves. Then those of us who still have money can go on with our little lives knowing that, although we could have made a difference and helped those who needed us, we'd much rather keep our money and watch them suffer.

It must be nice to have tickets in the front row, rather than those way up in the cheap seats the rest of us occupy. I'd much rather sit with those people though as they have more compassion and caring than those of you who were lucky enough to have either families who gladly support you...or better yet, enough education to garner you the lifestyle and accoutrements gathered from a lifetime of looking out for number one.

I only hope you are among those who haven't lost their life savings due to others' negligence and/or have enough to last you through til your old age, after all Social Security won't last that long and "we" want to eliminate all those "liberal" programs that might offer you health care, food and a place to live.

There, but for the grace of whomever you believe in, go every one of us! Count your blessings darlin', it can all disappear in a heartbeat these days. Being poor isn't a disease... it's a fact of life. While some people do abuse the system, the majority got there through no fault of their own, so the next time you see a homeless person remember...someday it could be you, in fact, with today's economy...tomorrow it just might be.
whattheheck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 18, 2009
 
Another Reader 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, of course, what were we "liberals" thinking? How could we give assistance to those in need? Let's throw all those kids out into the night to fend for themselves, shall we? And, while we're at it, lets cut off all those nasty little programs dedicated to stopping hunger in this country...after all, if we just let all those we deem as 'undesirable' wither in the wind, we may have a lot more problems within the emergency rooms and hospitals, what with all the issues like malnutrition and homelessness... but we'll just wait til they all die and bury them in unmarked graves. Then those of us who still have money can go on with our little lives knowing that, although we could have made a difference and helped those who needed us, we'd much rather keep our money and watch them suffer.
It must be nice to have tickets in the front row, rather than those way up in the cheap seats the rest of us occupy. I'd much rather sit with those people though as they have more compassion and caring than those of you who were lucky enough to have either families who gladly support you...or better yet, enough education to garner you the lifestyle and accoutrements gathered from a lifetime of looking out for number one.
I only hope you are among those who haven't lost their life savings due to others' negligence and/or have enough to last you through til your old age, after all Social Security won't last that long and "we" want to eliminate all those "liberal" programs that might offer you health care, food and a place to live.
There, but for the grace of whomever you believe in, go every one of us! Count your blessings darlin', it can all disappear in a heartbeat these days. Being poor isn't a disease... it's a fact of life. While some people do abuse the system, the majority got there through no fault of their own, so the next time you see a homeless person remember...someday it could be you, in fact, with today's economy...tomorrow it just might be.
well.. let's make it clear... I know some people do deserve help. But statistics and research will prove... most criminals come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Im not knocking on the people that need it.. I am stating the fact we give handouts to people that are too lazy to work and milk the system. Why should the rest of the hard working population have to pay because some loser gets knocked up by a different guy every year and has three or more kids by the time they turn 21. It's a joke. The welfare system not only helps the deserved but it also sends the message.. don't get a job.. the state will take care of you.. have as many kids as you want.. claim disability... and we will take care of you. This type of attitude invites losers into this state and this area.

And if you are making an excuse for people to commit crimes just because they have fallen on tough economic times, then you really fail to see the big picture. There are plenty of people living on the smallest of means and never breaking a law. All of these stabbings, rapes, drug dealings, armed robberies are products of losers milking the above mentioned system. None of these criminals give a rat's ass about looking for a job.

Give out the food and shelter to those that need it. Those who work full time and are making a attempt to better themselves. Not the ones who fake a disability or never look for a job. Why should they they can fake it and get section 8, food stamps, and welfare assistance. They know this state will always take care of them.

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 19, 2009
 
whattheheck wrote:
<quoted text>
well.. let's make it clear... I know some people do deserve help. But statistics and research will prove... most criminals come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Im not knocking on the people that need it.. I am stating the fact we give handouts to people that are too lazy to work and milk the system. Why should the rest of the hard working population have to pay because some loser gets knocked up by a different guy every year and has three or more kids by the time they turn 21. It's a joke. The welfare system not only helps the deserved but it also sends the message.. don't get a job.. the state will take care of you.. have as many kids as you want.. claim disability... and we will take care of you. This type of attitude invites losers into this state and this area.
And if you are making an excuse for people to commit crimes just because they have fallen on tough economic times, then you really fail to see the big picture. There are plenty of people living on the smallest of means and never breaking a law. All of these stabbings, rapes, drug dealings, armed robberies are products of losers milking the above mentioned system. None of these criminals give a rat's **** about looking for a job.
Give out the food and shelter to those that need it. Those who work full time and are making a attempt to better themselves. Not the ones who fake a disability or never look for a job. Why should they they can fake it and get section 8, food stamps, and welfare assistance. They know this state will always take care of them.
In as much as you'd like to claim that all the drug dealers are from lower socio-economic levels, I have to point to the fact that, while the 'street" dealers may very well come from that level, the guys behind them are all from much higher up the ladder. Those are the people who know how to run a business and not get caught. If memory serves, the ones who sold the most drugs when I lived there were the rich kids of well-connected parents who knew how to play the game. Little "Johnny" had "pillar of the community" parents who were able to cover him, while those he employed were left to swing in the wind and face the court systems.

Also, while you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder concerning those living off the system, I agree that there are indeed some who do but they are not the majority, and to suggest that we rid the system of the very programs these families need to survive is "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" thinking...

Maybe if the citizens of Pittsfield saw some of the positive things accomplished by the majority of their youth, you wouldn't think these programs were as useless as they seem. But those kids don't deal drugs, break laws or get into the court reports, so you don't see them or hear about them.

Come down off your high horse and see the real world around you. Plenty of positive minded kids, in all socio-economic levels, life here. It's just the few bad apples (from all the levels) that ruin it for the rest of them.
SAL

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 19, 2009
 
is Massachusetts going down hill faster then I ever thought it could/would do??????????
lady

Northampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 19, 2009
 
whattheheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.. unfortunately we invite this type of people in many ways. We allow more and more section 8 programs into our city. We make it easier for teenagers to have kids at 15 or 16. We make it even easier by making more programs available when they continue to spit kids out with numerous fathers. We have too many assistance programs and don't give that assistance to the right people.
If we cut off this assistance, the losers will move or stay away. If we get tougher on crime, the criminals will as well.
It makes sense to me, but in this liberal state it would never happen.
I agree. I've said this before, they ought to at least drug test these welfare/section 8/masshealth, etc, recipients.

Here's a personal story: I was single, working hard, and had no kids but couldn't afford health insurance so I went without for awhile. As soon as I got pregnant (not married) I applied for masshealth and got it. They even tried to push WIC on me, which I didn't take because I didn't feel i needed it. Since then I got married, got a job with health insurance, etc. I just couldn't believe how easy it was to get a free ride doing things the "wrong" way. I probably could have went back to college for free, instead I'm paying back school loans. I'm sure i could have gotten free daycare also...
lady

Northampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 19, 2009
 
Just to add to my above comment, I wouldn't have minded one bit to random drug testing. I had nothing to hide. People who truly do need assistance shouldn't worry about random drug testing, either.

Since: Aug 08

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 19, 2009
 
lady wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I've said this before, they ought to at least drug test these welfare/section 8/masshealth, etc, recipients.
Here's a personal story: I was single, working hard, and had no kids but couldn't afford health insurance so I went without for awhile. As soon as I got pregnant (not married) I applied for masshealth and got it. They even tried to push WIC on me, which I didn't take because I didn't feel i needed it. Since then I got married, got a job with health insurance, etc. I just couldn't believe how easy it was to get a free ride doing things the "wrong" way. I probably could have went back to college for free, instead I'm paying back school loans. I'm sure i could have gotten free daycare also...
So because you felt you diddn't 'need' it, those programs should be eliminated? Forget those whose diets aren't that good anyway, and get progressively worse during preganancy; forget those who don't have the means to further their educations and decide to remain where they are and collect; forget those who cannot afford insurance even though they are working (either their employers don't offer it to part-time workers or their budgets don't allow for it); and forget those who just need a hand for a while till they get back on their feet.

Although you should be commended for getting through without such services, they are necessary for millions more who live under the poverty level! If not for the grants and scholarships given by the government, millions more would remain below that very level and spend their lives feeling trapped in the cycle.

I'm not against drug testing for those who are on such programs, but I think those addicts who aren't on the system are just as much a drain...shall we have mandatory testing for everyone? Drugs don't discriminate...rich people are addicts too, and they buy from the same dealers that poor people do.
whattheheck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 19, 2009
 
Another Reader 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In as much as you'd like to claim that all the drug dealers are from lower socio-economic levels, I have to point to the fact that, while the 'street" dealers may very well come from that level, the guys behind them are all from much higher up the ladder. Those are the people who know how to run a business and not get caught. If memory serves, the ones who sold the most drugs when I lived there were the rich kids of well-connected parents who knew how to play the game. Little "Johnny" had "pillar of the community" parents who were able to cover him, while those he employed were left to swing in the wind and face the court systems.
Also, while you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder concerning those living off the system, I agree that there are indeed some who do but they are not the majority, and to suggest that we rid the system of the very programs these families need to survive is "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" thinking...
Maybe if the citizens of Pittsfield saw some of the positive things accomplished by the majority of their youth, you wouldn't think these programs were as useless as they seem. But those kids don't deal drugs, break laws or get into the court reports, so you don't see them or hear about them.
Come down off your high horse and see the real world around you. Plenty of positive minded kids, in all socio-economic levels, life here. It's just the few bad apples (from all the levels) that ruin it for the rest of them.
You still didn't see my point is that we give handouts to plenty of people who don't deserve it and there is no accountability. I wasn't even referring to kids in that aspect. But this lack of accountability allows more scum to move here and milk the system more. I'm not saying people don't need help but let's get rid of those bad apples, be more aware of whose getting the assistance because whether you choose to believe it or not there are a lot more people screwing the state over then you would think.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Pittsfield Forum right now

Search the Pittsfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Worst Trolls On The Internet Are The Govern... 30 min Praxis33 152
Ex-city councilor resigns state post (May '10) 31 min Praxis33 125
Hearing on Bianchi Complaint Adjourns After... 33 min Praxis33 15
Hell hole 9 hr Geoff johns 2
Malumphy is prepared to be mayor (Sep '09) 16 hr Praxis33 17
the real Praxis33: REDACTED 17 hr Praxis33 33
Budget cuts threaten dental service (May '10) 19 hr are you kidding 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pittsfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pittsfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pittsfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pittsfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••