Pittsfield Police Union Email May Violate Federal Law

Posted in the Pittsfield Forum

HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Alexandria, VA

#1 Apr 1, 2011
The following series of comments is currently posted on Dan PlanetValenti's Web site (specifically, yesterday's thread dated March 31).
Reference is made to an email sent by a union official, the president of the Pittsfield Police union local, to union 'rank and file'.

In Mr. Valenti's words, "It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti. You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted. We’re exaggerating our paraphrase here for effect. There were members who did not appreciate getting scolded."

Those union rank and file to which Mr. Valenti refers have good reason not to appreciate 'getting scolded'.

That's because the content of the union president's email may in fact violate a number of federal laws, especially if that email says what Mr. Valenti claims it says.

The specific federal laws that could apply to the matter of an official union communication containing an implied warning followed by an implied threat if rank and file exercise their right of free speech and/or right of association would be as follows:
'Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959';
'Wagner Act' aka 'National Labor Relations Act'; 'The Whistleblower Protection Act of 2007'.
----------

The series of comments posted to Mr. Valenti's Web site is as follows:
----------
danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

The Planet got word of the e-mail President Maddalena sent to the members immediately after it was sent … well almost. We were a step ahead (though we admire the move by Ofc. Maddalena in trying to head that off from the pass in his second letter to this website) and 15 steps ahead of the BB. The memo quotes from The Planet’s reportage. It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti. You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted. We’re exaggerating our paraphrase here for effect. There were members who did not appreciate getting scolded. Despite what some may want to say, The Planet isn’t manufacturing any of this. We are reflecting what’s going on in the department. We are neutral. Mirrors don’t make judgments.

----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Mr. Valenti,
Is there any state or federal law that addresses union officials ‘warning’ union members not to engage in free association and/or free speech under ‘threat’ of union punishment?
In other words, is it even legal for a union official to make threats of that nature?
If possible, please publish on your Web site the email you received (redacting, of course, any information that would identify from whom you received this document.

----------
danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Don’t know.
Also, I wouldn’t classify the union head’s communication with the members as a “warning” with a “threat.” It was a request for all troops to lower the Blue Curtain by stop talking to the press.

----------

GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Understood, but you, yourself, construed that email as saying that “It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti,” as you so succinctly stated above.
No doubt your source for the email also construed it similarly (otherwise why bother forwarding it to you).

----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

And you further paraphrase the email as saying,“You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted.”
You don’t consider that giving a warning and making a threat of retaliation in the event that warning is not heeded?

----------

danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I won’t characterize it other than what I’ve written.

----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Mr. Valenti,
Please post the wording of the email so that your readers can decide for themselves whether there was a warning and/or threat implied in this email from local union officials to union members specifically not to exercise their free speech rights.
Thank you.

----------
--END--

Alexandria, VA

#3 Apr 1, 2011

North Hatfield, MA

#4 Apr 2, 2011
That was so good it had to be posted twice.

Alexandria, VA

#5 Apr 2, 2011
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC wrote:
That was so good it had to be posted twice.
The imposter, SharonMomofBobby, out of Chicopee must be seeing double.
Theuglysister

Pittsfield, MA

#6 Apr 2, 2011
How about this from Kris Knutson on another post?True, true. When I worked for B.C.H.C, I did steroids myself. There were approximately a dozen other officers doing the same thing. The source of the steroids was a member of the Berkshire County Drug Task Force. When that source got found out due to circumstances out of contol, that source was allowed to resign from the police department and he is apparently still dealing to his old buddies in the law enforcement circle. I worked with this source at the jail until he moved on to work for the Pittsfield Police. Yes, this individual was dealing while he worked at the jail and then as a police officer and he was even given a job at the Pittsfield Fire Department after his felonious activities were found out. I tried to tell Sheriff Tom Bowler about all this but don't you know, they are friends. They worked closely together at the police department when Tom was still a detective. The sources name was and is Dave Sinopoli. And how about Roberto Mazzeo as his little lieutenent. I suspect there is a pedophile ring and it is protected by certain thug types in law enforcement. That's why they get away with dealing drugs. They are protected by powerful people. And since the drug dealers are protected, you can be sure that they are willing to return the favor, even if that favor be illegal or immoral. So they all work together. If the feds are involved, they probably don't know what to do due to the enormity and complexity of the situation. Collectively they have all gone past the point of no return and will not let go of the stranglehold they have on Berkshire County, no matter what! They are who they are and they feel entitled to be in "power". And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
honest sheriff bowler

Albany, NY

#8 Aug 29, 2011
Theuglysister wrote:
How about this from Kris Knutson on another post?True, true. When I worked for B.C.H.C, I did steroids myself. There were approximately a dozen other officers doing the same thing. The source of the steroids was a member of the Berkshire County Drug Task Force. When that source got found out due to circumstances out of contol, that source was allowed to resign from the police department and he is apparently still dealing to his old buddies in the law enforcement circle. I worked with this source at the jail until he moved on to work for the Pittsfield Police. Yes, this individual was dealing while he worked at the jail and then as a police officer and he was even given a job at the Pittsfield Fire Department after his felonious activities were found out. I tried to tell Sheriff Tom Bowler about all this but don't you know, they are friends. They worked closely together at the police department when Tom was still a detective. The sources name was and is Dave Sinopoli. And how about Roberto Mazzeo as his little lieutenent. I suspect there is a pedophile ring and it is protected by certain thug types in law enforcement. That's why they get away with dealing drugs. They are protected by powerful people. And since the drug dealers are protected, you can be sure that they are willing to return the favor, even if that favor be illegal or immoral. So they all work together. If the feds are involved, they probably don't know what to do due to the enormity and complexity of the situation. Collectively they have all gone past the point of no return and will not let go of the stranglehold they have on Berkshire County, no matter what! They are who they are and they feel entitled to be in "power". And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
So has sheriff bowler cleaned up the jail? Made it respectable?
chichi

Pittsfield, MA

#9 Aug 29, 2011
honest sheriff bowler wrote:
<quoted text>So has sheriff bowler cleaned up the jail? Made it respectable?
Nope liar just like the rest
Silk Purse

Albany, NY

#10 Aug 29, 2011
I think from now on voters should assume that every candidate is GOB until proven otherwise.
chichi

Pittsfield, MA

#11 Aug 29, 2011
Silk Purse wrote:
I think from now on voters should assume that every candidate is GOB until proven otherwise.
Yup
cops are liars

Albany, NY

#12 Aug 30, 2011
Theuglysister wrote:
and thugs and liars
chichi

Pittsfield, MA

#13 Aug 30, 2011
cops are liars wrote:
<quoted text>and thugs and liars
We have established that The PPD has no credibility. The mayor runs PPD and their little drug selling organization. What to do?
cops are liars

Easthampton, MA

#14 Dec 25, 2011
Theuglysister wrote:
and thugs. If the FBI did come to Pittsfield and didn't find SOMETHING they didn't look.
cops are liars and thugs

Presque Isle, ME

#15 Aug 19, 2014
Theuglysister wrote:
I believe all of these rumors and innuendo are factual. I believe the corruption is enormous. And MicHELL Wynn needs to go. That won't charge what's wrong with Pittsfield, or within the PPD, but he still needs to go. I don't care where he goes, just as long as he goes far away. Israel, or maybe Syria, just some place far, far, away.
Praxis33

United States

#16 Aug 19, 2014
cops are liars and thugs wrote:
<quoted text>I believe all of these rumors and innuendo are factual. I believe the corruption is enormous. And MicHELL Wynn needs to go. That won't charge what's wrong with Pittsfield, or within the PPD, but he still needs to go. I don't care where he goes, just as long as he goes far away. Israel, or maybe Syria, just some place far, far, away.
So rumor has it that you tasted you mothers skank last night and you liked it. On the other hand it looks likt you are still trying to line poeple up for a train on your mother. I bet she will like it, no doubt she has had many but again don't you want to be the one to spread your mother on the floor and go down on her. Stay with you tongue in your mothers skank and keep her away from your zipper or she will find and laugh at your pitiful 1 incher.
call me a cynic

Pittsfield, MA

#17 Jan 29, 2015
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
The following series of comments is currently posted on Dan PlanetValenti's Web site (specifically, yesterday's thread dated March 31).
Reference is made to an email sent by a union official, the president of the Pittsfield Police union local, to union 'rank and file'.
In Mr. Valenti's words, "It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti. You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted. We’re exaggerating our paraphrase here for effect. There were members who did not appreciate getting scolded."
Those union rank and file to which Mr. Valenti refers have good reason not to appreciate 'getting scolded'.
That's because the content of the union president's email may in fact violate a number of federal laws, especially if that email says what Mr. Valenti claims it says.
The specific federal laws that could apply to the matter of an official union communication containing an implied warning followed by an implied threat if rank and file exercise their right of free speech and/or right of association would be as follows:
'Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959';
'Wagner Act' aka 'National Labor Relations Act'; 'The Whistleblower Protection Act of 2007'.
----------
The series of comments posted to Mr. Valenti's Web site is as follows:
----------
danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm
The Planet got word of the e-mail President Maddalena sent to the members immediately after it was sent … well almost. We were a step ahead (though we admire the move by Ofc. Maddalena in trying to head that off from the pass in his second letter to this website) and 15 steps ahead of the BB. The memo quotes from The Planet’s reportage. It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti. You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted. We’re exaggerating our paraphrase here for effect. There were members who did not appreciate getting scolded. Despite what some may want to say, The Planet isn’t manufacturing any of this. We are reflecting what’s going on in the department. We are neutral. Mirrors don’t make judgments.
----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Mr. Valenti,
Is there any state or federal law that addresses union officials ‘warning’ union members not to engage in free association and/or free speech under ‘threat’ of union punishment?
In other words, is it even legal for a union official to make threats of that nature?
If possible, please publish on your Web site the email you received (redacting, of course, any information that would identify from whom you received this document.
----------
danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm #
Don’t know.
Also, I wouldn’t classify the union head’s communication with the members as a “warning” with a “threat.” It was a request for all troops to lower the Blue Curtain by stop talking to the press.
----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm #
Understood, but you, yourself, construed that email as saying that “It basically warns members to shut the heck up and don’t speak to Valenti,” as you so succinctly stated above.
No doubt your source for the email also construed it similarly (otherwise why bother forwarding it to you).
----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm
And you further paraphrase the email as saying,“You get caught speaking to Valenti, you’re busted.”
You don’t consider that giving a warning and making a threat of retaliation in the event that warning is not heeded?
----------
danvalenti
April 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm
I won’t characterize it other than what I’ve written.
----------
GMHeller
April 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Mr. Valenti,
Please post the wording of the email so that your readers can decide for themselves whether there was a warning and/or threat implied in this email from local union officials to union members specifically not to exercise their free speech rights.
Thank you.
----------
--END--
I'm not convinced there's any exaggeration.
call me a cynic

Pittsfield, MA

#18 Jan 29, 2015
Theuglysister wrote:
Well how about Roberto Mazzeo?
call me a cynic

Pittsfield, MA

#19 Jan 29, 2015
Theuglysister wrote:
And how is it that "acting" chief MicHELL Wynn, a former DEA agent, would be clueless about all of this?
Praxis33

United States

#20 Jan 30, 2015
call me a cynic wrote:
<quoted text>And how is it that "acting" chief MicHELL Wynn, a former DEA agent, would be clueless about all of this?
This all started when you @whore mother went down on your and you couldn't return the favor with your one in boner. Does she call you a RETARD too?
greener pastures

Pittsfield, MA

#21 Feb 6, 2015
Theuglysister wrote:
I'm sure its just a coincidence that Roberto Mazzeo has been arrested and charged with illegal drug and gun related offenses. Right! Certainly that thing about drug dealers being protected is just unsubstantiated folklore, just like the folklore about a pedophile ring protected by certain thug types. And I won't be surprised if these filthy charges against Roberto Mazzeo are all just a terrible misunderstanding. Like that terrible thing allegedly involving poor former city councilor Paul Capitanio involving illegal drugs and/or tipping off drug dealer[s] of an impended raid. How ridiculous is that! I would have thought that thing would have been all cleared up by now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police Seeking Information on Missing Pittsfiel... 2 hr Praxis33 4
TOM Please Report To FEDEX Do Not Deliver Depar... 2 hr Praxis33 2
White parents protest black history month 2 hr Praxis33 13
Told you Bibi. 2 hr Glen Back 1
Lock and load? Really Charlie? 3 hr Glen Back 1
Pay up 4 hr Glen Back 1
Another Niogger black thug shoots a cop in New ... 4 hr Glen Back 4
More from around the web

Pittsfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE