MCLA Professor explores African Ameri...

MCLA Professor explores African American history in Berkshire County

There are 82 comments on the Capital News 9 story from Oct 1, 2010, titled MCLA Professor explores African American history in Berkshire County. In it, Capital News 9 reports that:

A history professor at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts has dedicated her research to tracing the history of African Americans in the Berkshires and with the help of a new grant, doing so just got easier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Capital News 9.

Jermaine Malik Floyd

New London, CT

#64 Oct 7, 2010
George wrote:
<quoted text>

I think too, you will find that the construct of race was financially motivated as well. Most things are.
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
Please remember the poor, the ignorant, the less informed, the blind, those disenfranchised value a dollar. The affluent, those who control society, value the power/control. Finances without principles equals slavery. Those who are decent value the opportunity to uplift humanity by legal processes after humanity recognizes we must do for self while giving God the credit.

Race was constructed to divide and conquer for power/control.
George

Schenectady, NY

#65 Oct 7, 2010
Jermaine Malik Floyd wrote:
<quoted text>I will research the Scythians -- do not know anything about the Scythians. Indo-Europeans, there are many conflicting information about the classification.
Indo-European is a language family that originally stretched from Europe to India, with many related languages.
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#67 Oct 7, 2010
Seems that bringing language in complicates the topic a tad. A quick look at Europe shows many spoken by the same ethnic/race. Africa, Asia are two more examples. The discussion has begun in pre-history, before there was any known lingua franca, and brings us up to the 18th Century (or so).

You both bring intriguing points to bear. It appears to me that each position, valid in their own rights, are in conflict only in minor trivialities of context. Not being an academic historian, that's only an observation. Good chat nonetheless.
George

Schenectady, NY

#68 Oct 7, 2010
hard dude wrote:
Seems that bringing language in complicates the topic a tad.
Yes and no. My position is that there are many ethnicities, most have their own language. Lumping them all together as Caucasian, Asian and African implies similarities that don't exist and glosses over differences that go back centuries.
hard dude wrote:
A quick look at Europe shows many spoken by the same ethnic/race. Africa, Asia are two more examples.
Not really. Each ethnicity has/had its own language. They may speak other languages as well in order to communicate with those outside their group, but for the most part they speak the same language within the group.
Buckwheat

Albany, NY

#69 Oct 7, 2010
No comments from chbpod today.
I heard that he is attending a Klan Meeting in Providence.
chbpod

Warwick, RI

#70 Oct 7, 2010
Buckwheat wrote:
No comments from chbpod today.
I heard that he is attending a Klan Meeting in Providence.
Actually I just got back from an appointment with the gynecologist---chbpod
T Leary

Gansevoort, NY

#71 Oct 7, 2010
chbpod wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I just got back from an appointment with the gynecologist---chbpod
I didn't know a gynecologist was the person to see to pull your head out of your butt.
chbpod

Warwick, RI

#72 Oct 7, 2010
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't know a gynecologist was the person to see to pull your head out of your butt.
I was going to see a proctologist-- but he was already busy with you--chbpod
T Leary

Gansevoort, NY

#73 Oct 7, 2010
chbpod wrote:
<quoted text>
I was going to see a proctologist-- but he was already busy with you--chbpod
You should have waited, it didn't take long, my head wasn't in very far, unlike yours at times.
chbpod

Warwick, RI

#74 Oct 7, 2010
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text> You should have waited, it didn't take long, my head wasn't in very far, unlike yours at times.
And I'll bet it was an easy procedure since you have a pinhead--chbpod
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#76 Oct 7, 2010
George:
" Not really. Each ethnicity has/had its own language" >>>>..........

I see the 'ethnic' and language as seperate -- but then too, there is the going off on a bit of tangent there with the meaning of 'ethnic'. The roots of which go back too far in history. Language, on the other hand, is a more recent development of Homo sapiens. Though mixing the two can be successfully done, like Italian dressing, it has to be shaken a bit.

The thoughts of JMF have some merit. His perspective seems more from a historical socio-economic hierarchy than what appears to be your more anthropological treatise.

Still,(before the butt jokes entered the thread) the back and forth, the exploration of ideas, the there's something to look into, was a flavor of joy. But, it's like they say, it takes a real college man to put just regular folk back on the learning track. Carry on. <:-)
Jermaine Malik Floyd

United States

#77 Oct 7, 2010
hard dude wrote:
George:
" Not really. Each ethnicity has/had its own language" >>>>..........
I see the 'ethnic' and language as seperate -- but then too, there is the going off on a bit of tangent there with the meaning of 'ethnic'. The roots of which go back too far in history. Language, on the other hand, is a more recent development of Homo sapiens. Though mixing the two can be successfully done, like Italian dressing, it has to be shaken a bit.
The thoughts of JMF have some merit. His perspective seems more from a historical socio-economic hierarchy than what appears to be your more anthropological treatise.
Still,(before the butt jokes entered the thread) the back and forth, the exploration of ideas, the there's something to look into, was a flavor of joy. But, it's like they say, it takes a real college man to put just regular folk back on the learning track. Carry on. <:-)
George and you are uplifting individuals - you two make others think. Thank you.
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#78 Oct 7, 2010
Thinking is the best way to travel.
older

Albany, NY

#79 Oct 8, 2010
Thinking...
I always thought
that later in life
I would have fond memories
to occupy my thoughts
But now I find
that many bad memories
also have reared their ugly heads
travel is a way to avoid thinking
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#80 Oct 8, 2010
older -- no doubt there are always unfond memories that raise their ugly heads.

There are brief moments though when a glimmer of beauty, a sight of inspiration, a sound of solem serenity breaks through.

Those are the little gifts of relief, morsels dished out when we least expect them that feed us and give strenght to face the next day.

Whadda think? Life ain't no carnival! Look out the window -- watch a bird fly. or, watch a fly give you the bird. Either way, one has to be open to receiving those little gems. Because without them, we'd all go nuts.

(maybe that's the problem)
Crass

Albany, NY

#81 Oct 8, 2010
Some days when I feel that I am full of sh-it and in Pain, I fa-rt and feel a wonderfuls sense of relief.
Passing Gas is like watching a sunset on Fiji.
uncle tron

Albany, NY

#83 Oct 8, 2010
How about the Southern White Inbreeds
with white hoods and livers when they are alone
Jermaine Malik Floyd

United States

#87 Jun 15, 2011
June 14, 2011
chbpod

North Kingstown, RI

#88 Jun 15, 2011
Jermaine Malik Floyd wrote:
June 14, 2011
look you have Kwanzaa- Martin Luther King Jr. Day-- the month of February for Black History month and the month of October so what are you whining about- you pathetic loser--Oh I know the lack of manufactured self-esteem----tooooooooo bad
Jermaine Malik Floyd

Gilbert, AZ

#89 Jun 15, 2011
chbpod, I'm not sure why you always put me down. I be a 26 yr ole guy, that be livin with my momma. I be at my job when the white honkey manger, be making me stack boxs up. One of them boxs felt off the shelff and land it on my back. It mest me all up. Now I collekt SSDI cause I cant be working. Butt I no one thing you prolly get all hot under the coller about, I be loving the white girls. White girls be loving my big black ****. I be doing the nasty with all dose girls with no rubber on. **** them and **** you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is Kersey really thinking 1 hr Nazda Never 10
News Pittsfield police recognized for service 5 hr Cops are Degenerates 13
The Jewish War in Syria 19 hr The Worlds Bigges... 55
News New Pittsfield City Clerk Election: Phillips Ou... 20 hr Tardy Lil Pupe 3
Good Memories Of Pittsfield 22 hr Peter G 47
Berkshire United Way 22 hr Wild stuff 15
Twisted logic argues for immigration reform (Jan '15) Sat Cops are Degenerates 5

Pittsfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsfield Mortgages