North Catholic High to move to Cranbe...

North Catholic High to move to Cranberry for 2010-11 school year

There are 8 comments on the - Neighborhoods story from Oct 2, 2007, titled North Catholic High to move to Cranberry for 2010-11 school year. In it, - Neighborhoods reports that:

North Catholic High School has a date for its move to Cranberry. ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at - Neighborhoods.

“Trump is so right!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Oct 2, 2007
There you go poitico's, even chased a catholic high school out of the county. Gee, I wonder why???
DC to the Burgh

Bryantown, MD

#2 Oct 12, 2007
As a DCer (really No Va) thinking of relocating to Pgh and having three kids hoping to attend catholic shcools, this got my attention.
Is the question...has Allegheny county "chased" North Catholic out or did the HS decide to move closer to the majority of student population?
Just wondering the history behind this move and the posters' implied message.
Thanks for any feedback.

“Trump is so right!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Oct 13, 2007
The High School decided to move closer to most of it's students, as you suspected. But, Allegheny County really did chase most of the parents away. Catholic schools have a tendency to create more affluent people, and these folks, being smart and educated, did the math and most have left the county. Taxes, taxes, taxes, a bad urban area and no "gee whiz" in county services is sending the higher earning people to Butler and Westmoreland counties.
mad mom

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Jan 14, 2009
I'm so angry about this whole "move". My daughter will be graduating next year from NC. The talk of the move has been allowed to go on for years now and has discouraged many Pittsburgh (and surrounding area) residents from sending their kids to North.

The administration from NC has been lying (to validate the decision to move) that the majority of their students come from the Cranberry area. The fact is that the Cranberry residents don't prefer to send their kids to NC because it's not in their neighborhood. Mr. Orga (the Prez of NC) has been known to badmouth the Troy Hill neighborhood to discourage enrollment. Again, to shore up his arguement for the move.

What is his real motive for the move? How will he benefit from the move?His son's company (located in Butler, how convenient!) already has a monopoly on all school uniforms (including all sports). Wouldn't that be considered a conflict of interests?

And how can Mr. Rooney and Mr. Ravenstahl (both grads of NC) support the move. I thought Pittsburgh was starting a new growth era. I can see it, especially in the Strip District area.(New businesses, housing, and young professionals.) Wouldn't the money raised, so far, be better spent on improving the existing building? Let the wealthy folks in Cranberry build a high school in their own neighborhood. Don't take our neighborhood school away.

I did hear that the Pittsburgh politicians have their eyes on the NC property because of its beautiful view of the city. Now, wouldn't that be an ideal marketing tool to use to build enrollment for the school?
rational thinker

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Jun 22, 2010
No conspiracy here. NC will cease to exist if it is left in Troy Hill. Attendance has been on the decline for many years. If they don't move soon, they will close forever.

I was very excited about sending my son to the new Cranberry location in 2012. With all of the opposition, I don't see it happening.........ever. What a shame.

CC and NC are much too close. Time for a change.
Out of loop

United States

#7 Apr 9, 2011
I have been a lifer of the north hills, and now have 3 children. I have to travel 40 minutes to the public school. I love the idea of NC in Cranberry. Would it be acceptable if the name was different? What if this keeps the legacy alive???
The Deep Thinker

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Oct 21, 2011
To be fair and honest, There is alot of reasons to why North Catholic is moving to Cranberry and such. As a recent Graduate I can tell you that the date to move is like the endless bridge to no where project. No one has a settled date, no one knows anything. So any hooo, here are the main reasons.

1. Pittsburgh Promise from Mayor Douchebag.

Yes, I do not care if you support Ravenstahl or not, this really discouraged families from sending kids to private schools. I mean think about it, your child has their entire first year or two of college paid for with no loans, but your tax payer dollars... I mean, why would you not send your kid to Perry or Oliver if they can get a free ride for a year or two in College?

2. Terrible President and Political Corruption.

Enrollment for North has been going down for a little over a decade. But as soon as Frank Orga took the helm as President, enrollment saw an even worse decline. Thats not an exaggeration considering my class has about eighty-five people and now they are just barely over forty... He's primary responsible for rasising the tuition so dramatically and its been an even bigger nightmare since.

Now to mention the political corruption of North Catholic through a basic principle. After watching many North Catholic football games and have even seen the team ranked high in the WPIAL pre-season standings, and to assure I did play football. Heres comes the worse part. Terrible Coaching. I have never seen so much bad coaching in my entire life of watching any type of Football. the football teams in the falls of 2007 and 2009 were the best I have ever seen, they had so much talent and it was blown because of terrible calls and political corruption on the field. North Catholic could of been a big name not once, but twice! But was ruined because of bad decisions and calls.

I'm not saying anymore,
He is Deep Sh-t Thinker

West Mifflin, PA

#9 Oct 22, 2011
Tax dollars fund the "Pittsburgh Promise?"

Announced on December 13, 2006, The Pittsburgh Promise initiativen will make available to all graduates satisfying the criteria a scholarship to any accredited post-secondary institution within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The $57 million per year necessary to fund this will be raised through private contributions from foundations and corporations.

No tax dollars. I can see the value of a North Catholic education... NOT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump and Russia 8 hr Liberals smell 12
Where do all the NICE gay guys hang out??? (Jul '08) 9 hr David Denison 62
Lookin4subs 11 hr directo78 1
Connor Lamb wins Sat Voter 7
U.S. Life Expectancy Increased with President O... Sat Get a life 2
WTAE Weekend News - Appreciation Thread (Dec '13) Mar 16 galaxy 378
Global Warming......Yeah, Right Mar 15 Voter 9

Pittsburgh Jobs

Personal Finance

Pittsburgh Mortgages