Would you consider that Pittsburgh is...
Angry Native

League City, TX

#283 Dec 28, 2012
Mike Anthony wrote:
Jade and ReneeDumbass should go back to Africa!!!
And your dumbass should go back to Europe
Roots

Carnegie, PA

#284 Dec 28, 2012
One chi'gger tribe enslaved and sold other tribes' chi'ggers to whites. Blame the African chi'ggers who sold their slaves.
Roots sux

Uniontown, PA

#285 Dec 28, 2012
Roots wrote:
One chi'gger tribe enslaved and sold other tribes' chi'ggers to whites. Blame the African chi'ggers who sold their slaves.
Bullsh*t! If there hadn't been a market in the US,, the tribes wouldn't have captured and sold their neighbors to them. Similarly, Mexico is becoming a failed state because of the colossal American drug demand, and our foolish and ineffective "war on drugs."

And beyond that, you're simply a bigoted piece of white trash!
Roots

Carnegie, PA

#286 Dec 29, 2012
Mexico is a failed state because of the chicano 'ggers aka chi'ggers.
Roots sux

Uniontown, PA

#287 Dec 29, 2012
Keep it up, bubba! America's racial composition is becoming far more colorful, and socially, with the advancement of gay rights, the full rainbow is emerging in American politics. Now how do you think that's gonna work out for the aging, ol' white trash of the GOP's base, fool?
Roots

Carnegie, PA

#288 Dec 29, 2012
drug resistant AIDS will set us free from gay chi'ggers aka your ilk.
Black Elmo

Carlisle, PA

#289 Dec 29, 2012
I've been to Pittsburgh many times and it is most certainly NOT a racist City. In fact it is probably the most Liberal City in the Rust Belt today.
renee

Pittsburgh, PA

#292 Jan 29, 2013
steelsmithinc wrote:
I see alot of comments about race here in Pgh. I really would like to know true Pittsburgher's thoughts on this ongoing subject. Thanks!
It should be ranked number 1 in my opinion.
renee

Pittsburgh, PA

#293 Jan 29, 2013
If you don't think it is going on it is because you really don't want to admit it. I have endored it on numerous occassions. So you the people can keep denying it but it happens everyday. If you never had to go through it then you really wouldn't know.
renee

Pittsburgh, PA

#294 Jan 29, 2013
Black Elmo wrote:
I've been to Pittsburgh many times and it is most certainly NOT a racist City. In fact it is probably the most Liberal City in the Rust Belt today.
Well, you have not been here long enough. It is the most racist place that I have seen so far. I lived here for most of my life, come to the area where I live and you will change your mind.

“Clinton is a Liar, Period!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#295 Jan 29, 2013
renee wrote:
<quoted text> Well, you have not been here long enough. It is the most racist place that I have seen so far. I lived here for most of my life, come to the area where I live and you will change your mind.
I agree completely. I am one of the last white people left in the Perrysville Ave. area and I am constantly harassed with racist threats, "whitey" go home, this is our "hood", and of course, "what's that white mf'er doing here. My house has been vandalized, my car has been vandalized and I've had many things stolen from my property.

Pittsburgh is definitely a racist city, especially if you are a white man in a black neighborhood.
Da Old Fool trolls on

Greensburg, PA

#296 Jan 29, 2013
TROLL!
june

Portland, ND

#297 Jan 29, 2013
renee wrote:
If you don't think it is going on it is because you really don't want to admit it. I have endored it on numerous occassions. So you the people can keep denying it but it happens everyday. If you never had to go through it then you really wouldn't know.
you sound like someone that will complain about something no matter what?you seem to be black and a complainer! for your spelling(endored) is wrong so stop bitching about others and go back to school!stop the poor me attitude and get to work!!!
East Liberty Liberal

Hanover, PA

#298 Jan 29, 2013
Old Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Pittsburgh is definitely a racist city, especially if you are a white man in a black neighborhood.
Very true. I tried to be nice to my negro neighbors but they weren't having it so after my house was broken into for the 27th time I decided to pack up and move east to the whitest and safest part of PA I could find. Last I heard the house that I once lived in in East Liberty was turned into a crack house then subsequently burned to the ground. Very typical behavior by black racists is what I was told by an expert in African American studies.
trekkie

United States

#299 Mar 11, 2013
I grew up in the Pitts. My father grew up in the Pitts. You have a lot of nerve calling Pittsburgh a "racist city." Your probably racist yourself rather than going all around Pittsburgh, you staying in one place is NOT calling Pittsburgh a racist city. If you live in Pittsburgh, instead of spending your free time watching television, take a walk through the city with a journal in your hand and every time you hear a racist comment, write down what that person said, until you run out of space. Then you can start calling the Pitts a racist city, but in the meantime, Pittsburgh is not called a racist city, nor one of the most racist cities in the U.S. Thank you for your time.
Nobama

Carnegie, PA

#300 Mar 11, 2013
Best to carry a 9mm than a journal if walking thru pittspuke.
Anon

Pittsburgh, PA

#302 Aug 28, 2013
I'm a native Yinzer, born and raised in Pittsburgh. I went to Northern California in Sept. 2012 for college and come back for breaks, and I don't necessarily view Pittsburgh as really blatantly racist. I have a lot of Pittsburgh pride, grew up in the North Hills in the upper-middle class, my room is decorated in Steeler garb. My parents are native Iranian, but my sister and I were born in the US in Pittsburgh. Looking back on high school, I can't really find elements of BLATANT racism to those of Middle Eastern descent on a large scale. Growing up I didn't have many issues, I had a good amount of friends, was well-liked in school- had the same interests as a lot of teenage guys (sports, video games, the Steelers, Pens, etc.) and was pretty heavily involved in extracurriculars. I can only really recall two occasions of direct prejudice. On the first occasion I asked this girl in my 8th grade Health class if she could pass me the sign in sheet and she said she doesn't talk to terrorists. I thought she was joking- so I went along with it... turns out she wasn't. On the second occasion I was playing basketball with neighborhood friends when one of the neighbors got his thumb jabbed from my block, went on a rage and blurted our "TERRORIST!" before storming off. Some jokes were made growing up, but as an easy going and laid back guy I went along, if not adding, to them. 9/11 seemed to be a major catalyst for all this to occur, at least in my mind. Some airplane jokes, some Arab jokes (I'm Iranian- aka Persian, not Arab), but again I went along with them. I was reading through my HS yearbook and a few signatures regard things like "Don't blow me up loljk have a great summer," but I was well-liked and was easily able to make the same jokes, I didn't care that people did- I understood it. In my senior year of high school, when prior to our Disney World trip our choir director notified us that we would have to go through security instead of boarding our plane directly from the tarmac, one of my friends blurted out my name and caused a big laugh, but I honestly didn't mind it- I understood it was in good fun. I made similar jokes and understood that they know I'm not a terrorist, that I didn't carry out those attacks, and that I was a peace-loving Pittsburgher and America etc. etc. Outside of my friends from Persian family gatherings/Persian family friends, 99% of my friends are white. Back to the topic at hand, I think growing up in this culture kind of makes one racist. One summer, I went to Subway to get a sandwich for my sister, and when getting out of the car saw three black guys walking in. Saggy jeans, oversized white tees. I realized my GPS was attached to my windshield. I got back in the car and detached the GPS until walking into the store. Most of my neighborhood is also white, as was my high school. Homes are in the $400-$650k range, which for Pittsburgh is middle to upper middle class. We have one NFL player, still majority white, but a good amount of Indians and Asians, definitely a diverse neighborhood by Pittsburgh standards. I think the city and area in general is more black-on-white racist than outright. I hear the N-word often, my friends say it. We seem to try to stay away from blacks because we are raised in a society in which a lot of city crime is committed by them, so we tend to stay away. In addition, it is very segregated. Like another post said, many Jews in Squirrel Hill, blacks in the Hill, other minorities scattered throughout. As much as I think it may be due to race relations of the past, the shifts haven't really changed, because Pittsburghers typically don't change. Overall, though, Pittsburghers are actually insanely nice, and it has its own sense of community and pride. House prices are low, and I would come back after college if the right opportunity presented itself. Pittsburgh overall is very livable, but segregation and a majority black/white population does cause some issues.
hmf

Pittsburgh, PA

#303 Sep 1, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>. "But just the general misconception that black people are all criminals, druggies, welfare recipients, etc. Its appalling." How do you think this misconception was formed?
...the same way the misconception was formed that all white people kill there families or all white people are predjudice or all white people smell like dogs .....how did those misconceptions get formed......I tell you some people r not bright at all...
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#304 Sep 2, 2013
thanks, Anon, for what I consider an honest assessment of growing up a Pittsburgher. I actually believe your post as this is how I grew up in the burbs of a big city and saw this very scenario as you described. Culturally I am Appalachian/Scottish Highlander but my earliest formative years were big city burb.
There were a lot ethnic neighbourhoods in the big city I was suburbanite of and I went into the place of my culture a lot, more and more as I grew older and had my choice. so basically I am a combinational product of both.
enough about me. again I appreciate your sharing about your outlook and dealings with racism!
sincerely,
dunadd
Mike Anthony

Mckees Rocks, PA

#306 Oct 18, 2013
too many blacks in da burg and the ruining the city. good thing is that they're shootin each other so that should thin out the population except the black welfare HOs have a dozen plus kids to different baby daddys to collect more welfare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WTAE Weekend News - Appreciation Thread (Dec '13) Fri Love beauty 240
Affordable care act Mar 22 adorable deplorable 5
Oakdale Mini Mart/Dairy Mart Mar 22 Misanthropy 1
Allegheny County Riot Mar 21 SMH 1
women selling pantyhose Mar 21 finerminer 1
Where to buy k2 in pittsburgh Mar 20 Jessica Juicer 5
http://www.pahomepage.com/ Mar 19 Jack 1

Pittsburgh Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance