Boy Killed At Zoo Mourned In Pennsylv...

Boy Killed At Zoo Mourned In Pennsylvania As Thousands Donate Trucks In Honor Of Maddox Derkosh

There are 42 comments on the International Business Times story from Nov 9, 2012, titled Boy Killed At Zoo Mourned In Pennsylvania As Thousands Donate Trucks In Honor Of Maddox Derkosh. In it, International Business Times reports that:

Tributes poured in Friday for Maddox Derkosh, the 2-year-old Pennsylvania boy who was killed by African painted dogs at a Pittsburgh zoo, as family, friends and community members mourned the boy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at International Business Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Politically Incorrect

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Nov 10, 2012
Hate me if you see fit to, BUT: I'm sooo sorry that little angel had to go thru that HELL, and I'm sooooo sorry that those who love him, have to grieve his loss, BUT, if his mother hadn't put him in potential danger, he'd be home playing with is little trucks, laughing, gigglein, happy and awaiting his next trip to the zoo.
the 2 above sux

Uniontown, PA

#3 Nov 10, 2012
Wow, the first poster is not "politically incorrect," bt rather, simply- and grossly- insensitive! I doubt veruy much that you're capable of the slighest empathy to feel any sincere sorrow for another's plight, and obviously not for this child, his mother, or their family and friends.

Mike Anthony, on the other hand, is just a simple, garden variety, bigoted azzhole, unworthy of any other comment, though none is necessary!
Bob

Mckeesport, PA

#4 Nov 10, 2012
Every parent makes mistakes and 99.99% of the time it works out fine, and in hindsight you say, boy was that stupid. I have been ill over this story for a week having a two year old the same age and frequenting the zoo about a dozen times a year. Maybe he squirmed, he leaned, her grip was not expecting him to move that way. The angle of railing made him slide backwards and mom acted as the fulcrum of the catapult. Regardless of who is at fault a little angel is gone and his mother is left to burden that grief for the rest of her life. I wish everyone would stop placing blame, and offer condolences instead.

Derkosh family, you are in my thoughts and prayers, may you weather the storm and remember the smiles that this boy brought to your face. He will watch over you from above. This tragedy has touched my heart and I will never forget you Maddox. Rest in peace sweet angel.
obamasux

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Nov 10, 2012
Criminal charges are pending completion of several agencies' investigations, against both the zoo and the mother.
Ann Onymous

United States

#6 Nov 11, 2012
Here is what the laws of the state of Pennsylvania have to say about negligence causing death;
2504. Involuntary manslaughter.
(a) General rule.--A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes the death of another person.
(b) Grading.--Involuntary manslaughter is a misdemeanor of the first degree. Where the victim is under 12 years of age and is in the care, custody or control of the person who caused the death, involuntary manslaughter is a felony of the second degree.
So those idiots here who are so upset about the outpouring of anger and indignation towards the mother - why are you thinking that it wouldn't apply here? Intent is not necessary for criminal responsibility. There are plenty of people doing hard time under the above law, and there are no exceptions for mothers. In fact, the law specifically holds care-givers to a higher standard - a second degree felony for them.
We should either remove this law and open the jails to all of the people convicted under it, or prosecute this absolute idiot. Any other course of action is unfair.
Does anyone care about justice for the boy?
Wild Wonder

Scottdale, PA

#7 Nov 11, 2012
I remember when zoos were built to keep animals in and people safely out.
These days the trend is to make you believe the animals are content and happy in these artificial man made habitats.
Tragedies like this might make us reconstruct that concept for public safety.
SHAME ON THEM

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Nov 27, 2012
Here's what's up. This mother is holding fundraising events to honor her child.This family is requesting toy trucks to deliver in his memory HOWEVER a recent Italian dinner was served where proceeds went to THE FAMILY!!!
Are you serious? I see obituaries where it's requested that donations be made to the family HOWEVER the funeral is over and the family is accepting monetary donations.What a load of BS.This wasn't a matter of a sick spouse who couldnt work due to a critical disease and the family needed assistance paying bills. It's troubling that the family is accepting monetary donations.If they want trucks then accept trucks or gift cards to toy stores. I find it appalling that they are using their sons death to gain financially. SHAME ON THEM!!
Jeff D

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Nov 28, 2012
Shame has no place in barack's black americka.
sickening

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Nov 28, 2012
Mike Anthony wrote:
This criminal mom is making money on this child's death. She needs to go to jail.
An accident is clearly an accident but why is this family allowing fundraiers to take place and allow caring people to give them money? A childs death is devastating for them however what's up with the financial gain. It's almost like the family is trying to do good for the community so what the mother did is overlooked and the good is shining brighter.The mother was negligent. Taking money is terrible. There's a family I know with a sick child.One parent works and the other one stays with the child 24-7. They're struggling. Another single parent is taking care of her sick child and cant work.Maybe she should get handouts to pay their bills.This family has zero reason to take money.Im disgusted.
I agree

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Nov 28, 2012
sickening wrote:
<quoted text>
An accident is clearly an accident but why is this family allowing fundraiers to take place and allow caring people to give them money? A childs death is devastating for them however what's up with the financial gain. It's almost like the family is trying to do good for the community so what the mother did is overlooked and the good is shining brighter.The mother was negligent. Taking money is terrible. There's a family I know with a sick child.One parent works and the other one stays with the child 24-7. They're struggling. Another single parent is taking care of her sick child and cant work.Maybe she should get handouts to pay their bills.This family has zero reason to take money.Im disgusted.
That's some screwed up $h!t.Why would this family take cash from people?
The Truth about sickening

Uniontown, PA

#13 Nov 29, 2012
Here's the truth situation:

Kristin Nock, a mother with NO CONNECTION to the Derkosh family, wants to help ease their financial burden and is spreading the word through the R.I.P. Maddox Derkosh Facebook group. More than $15,000 has been donated through PayPal, according to the Facebook page, which also says a spaghetti dinner is scheduled for Nov. 25 at Brentwood Presbyterian Church

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/Hund...

The woman did this on her own; you're the truly "sickening" one, praying on a family in the midst of a tradgedy, putz!
pgh

Greensburg, PA

#14 Nov 29, 2012
Mom's been cleared...possible charges pending against the zoo.
Screw you

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Nov 29, 2012
The Truth about sickening wrote:
Here's the truth situation:
Kristin Nock, a mother with NO CONNECTION to the Derkosh family, wants to help ease their financial burden and is spreading the word through the R.I.P. Maddox Derkosh Facebook group. More than $15,000 has been donated through PayPal, according to the Facebook page, which also says a spaghetti dinner is scheduled for Nov. 25 at Brentwood Presbyterian Church
Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/Hund...
The woman did this on her own; you're the truly "sickening" one, praying on a family in the midst of a tradgedy, putz!
This family is not in financial dire straights and if they were...loads of folks lose family members and DON'T accept monies from the community to "pay their bills". Give me a break!!
At what point does taking from the community for financial gain become unacceptable? After KN raises another 10k?
Who cares who raised the money..the family is gaining financially because their son unfortunately passed away. Accepting trucks in his memory and giving them to an organization makes much more sense then taking cash from people.The funeral was given to the Derkosh's for FREE!!So they most likely paid for a headstone.Give it up.You have one excuse after the next.It's a TRAGEDY that this young baby died but to take money IS SICKENING even if KH started the proccess. The parents could have used the money to help the zoo fix the problem and/or had a memorial there for the boy.No one cares what you say.TAKING MONEY IS WRONG! Plain and simple!
Screw you too

Uniontown, PA

#17 Nov 29, 2012
Why do you care if people freely give their money to this family? Nothing is beng hidden from them; no misrepresentations are being made.

Are you some kind of perverse,meddling moralist? Smply envious, perhaps?

One thing is certain, however... YOU are most indeed "sickening!"
jgl

United States

#18 Nov 30, 2012
Screw you too wrote:
Why do you care if people freely give their money to this family? Nothing is beng hidden from them; no misrepresentations are being made.
Are you some kind of perverse,meddling moralist? Smply envious, perhaps?
One thing is certain, however... YOU are most indeed "sickening!"
After reading these posts I have to agree with the other poster. Why is this family taking monetary gains due to the death of their child. The mom was cleared yesterday and its a sad situation but to take money instead of trucks is shady. People most likely aren't 'envious' as most adults are professional contributing members of society. It doesn't look good for the family. That's it in a nut shell.
Hmm

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Nov 30, 2012
jgl wrote:
<quoted text> After reading these posts I have to agree with the other poster. Why is this family taking monetary gains due to the death of their child. The mom was cleared yesterday and its a sad situation but to take money instead of trucks is shady. People most likely aren't 'envious' as most adults are professional contributing members of society. It doesn't look good for the family. That's it in a nut shell.
I donated cash and now have a new perspective. i should of bought a truck.Hmm.
An Observation

Uniontown, PA

#20 Dec 1, 2012
Perhaps the family means were strained by funeral expenses; though I've not seen any indication of that cause, it would be a reasonable assumption.
An Observation

Uniontown, PA

#21 Dec 1, 2012
And in some communities, their members reach out to each other in tragedy. That has been the American experience. Again, why does someone have a problem with anyone freely giving to another human being in pain? It's their money, and their choice.
I agree

Pittsburgh, PA

#23 Dec 1, 2012
An Observation wrote:
Perhaps the family means were strained by funeral expenses; though I've not seen any indication of that cause, it would be a reasonable assumption.
I know this family.Thery are not financially strained.
New perspective for me as well.
Truth

Uniontown, PA

#24 Dec 1, 2012
I won't challenge the supposed knowledge of an anonymous poster, conveniently provided to prove the supposed correctness of his opinion... it's obviously not worth the effort.

Again, why are you upset that someone wants to offer money to these people? Where is the harm? Is it envy? That is so very sad... and so are hateful, judgmental people such as yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Power 39 min Fat Abbott 5
Teachers strike 1 hr Overtaxed 1
Toughen up Shazier Tue Fat Abbott 2
WTAE Weekend News - Appreciation Thread (Dec '13) Aug 13 Jimmie C 270
Need some help Aug 13 Lookinforfun 17
Men painting their toenails Aug 12 Ben Dover 6
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Pittsburgh (Nov '13) Aug 10 mandym331 128

Pittsburgh Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsburgh Mortgages