Pilgrim's Pride town stays calm despi...

Pilgrim's Pride town stays calm despite bankruptcy

There are 44 comments on the KRISTV.COM Corpus Christi story from Dec 6, 2008, titled Pilgrim's Pride town stays calm despite bankruptcy. In it, KRISTV.COM Corpus Christi reports that:

Chicken tycoon Bo Pilgrim drives a few miles down U.S. Hwy. 271 some Saturday mornings, buys a $3.99 oatmeal breakfast at Herschel's Restaurant and hands out $20 bills along with a "Jesus Saves" pamphlet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRISTV.COM Corpus Christi.

Ralph

United States

#24 Sep 21, 2010
lol wrote:
Welcome to Texas......now go home, yep that's us.
thats it
Hammering Mike

Mount Pleasant, TX

#25 Sep 21, 2010
What a crock. Everything in the area is down because of pilgrims downfall. Wake up people.
Hammering Mike

Mount Pleasant, TX

#26 Sep 21, 2010
what a bunch of bull
HAMMERING MIKE

United States

#27 Sep 22, 2010
bankruptfarmer wrote:
All the poultry farmers need to go to the farmaid.org site, and read the petition, add comments about your own problems with the integrators, and submit it. They will send it to the right places. Or, keep silent, and enslaved.
going there right now.
Larry

Mount Pleasant, TX

#28 Sep 30, 2010
I dont know who check out this article, but it is a bunch of BS.
old chicken farmer

Marshall, TX

#29 Sep 30, 2010
www.farmaid.org/site/c.qlI5IhNVJsE/b.4952885/... This will take you right to the page where there is a petition to stop the abusive contracts of the large poultry integrators. The poultry companies' lobyisit have descended upon Washington in an effort to exclude provisions being considered that will begin to protect poultry farmers from these billion dollar mega-corporations.
Sales Rep

Mount Pleasant, TX

#30 Oct 11, 2010
Hammering Mike wrote:
What a crock. Everything in the area is down because of pilgrims downfall. Wake up people.
I ran across this while fishing the internet and wanted to respond. Things are a little down in this area, but it is not really because of Pilgrim's. Most of the local positions that were cut were low level positions. As I read in another article the higher positions had people driving in from Longview, Tyler, Canton and other areas. So local business is not really imapcted. Local businesses have stated they are really surprised that Pilgrim's downfall has impacted their business so little. Area people are still buying the same products, in about the same amounts, with most businesses I visit. My business has been good and so is theirs. I know banks have tightened up their lending in the area, but it is mostly because of their banking regulations, bank auditors and the recession nation wide, not because of the Pilgrim's cutbacks. Unless you want to blame Pilgrim's for the recession I think you need to rethink this issue and start using facts instead of personal biased emotion.
canceled grower

College Station, TX

#31 Oct 11, 2010
well sales rep you dont seem to be very well informed. it was not pittsburg that bo hurt it was the 7 plants in arkansas,la,gorgia and florida that bo bought up to close down that were hurt ten thousand people lost their jobs intire communities were hurt hundreds of growers were cut off after putting million and millions into their farms sure its ok in texas they were not harmed by bo's greed and pilgrims corruption thats bo's home base.that is the way this whole thing was planned out.this wasnt because of the economy it was done to force the price of chicken to make more money and to hell with the people that were hurt.
Sales Rep

Mount Pleasant, TX

#32 Oct 11, 2010
canceled grower wrote:
well sales rep you dont seem to be very well informed. it was not pittsburg that bo hurt it was the 7 plants in arkansas,la,gorgia and florida that bo bought up to close down that were hurt ten thousand people lost their jobs intire communities were hurt hundreds of growers were cut off after putting million and millions into their farms sure its ok in texas they were not harmed by bo's greed and pilgrims corruption thats bo's home base.that is the way this whole thing was planned out.this wasnt because of the economy it was done to force the price of chicken to make more money and to hell with the people that were hurt.
Well I was responding to Hammering Mikes blog from Mt. Pleasant, TX in regards to things being down in this east Texas area, not other states. I do know that Pilgrims encountered increases in the price of feed, fuel and other factors that they could not forsee. No one could have. This impacted their operations. You know, my company managers will listen to me, but in most cases do not act on the information I have or that of those higher up the totem pole 99% of the time. That is because there is a company owner at the helm. It is the owners job to make the decisions for the company, not the managers, the sales reps, or anyone elses. This is the case with Pilgrim's. You all want to act like you are owners when you are just suppliers. Alot of people lost their jobs, but you know that is just business. I'm sitting in a hotel doing my reports, traveling all over Texas and other states working 60+ hours a week for a 40 hour paycheck and I am happy to have it. Many people are out of work from the recession. If Bo Pilgrim had not have done it to you it would have been someone else. It is this way everywhere. If you want to blame the real problem makers blame China, Japan, India, Thailand, Vietnam and other countries for our trade imbalance that was created through our democratic presidents. Most everything already comes from these countries and your chicken and steaks are probably next if Pilgrims, Tysons and others do not remain profitable. If you think it is bad now, just wait another year with Obama. An old saying sums this up in that it is not personal it is just business. That is all this is. Companies acquired in an acquisition were probably deemed not profitable enough to keep open or not needed because of duplication of services or other factors, so they were closed. Yes, people lost their jobs, but this is a normal function in business. It has happened to me before. Yes I was upset but I had to pick up the pieces and was sending out resumes that evening. You put out alot of hate trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I do. Just because people disagree with your position does not make them wrong or your right. Sadly I know your anger in this matter will just fester inside you as there is little to nothing you and all of your cohorts can do. Best wishes in your endeavors as I have to get back to filling out my sales reports. I made an incredible amount of sales today in an area that "Hammering Mike" thinks is down because of Pilgrims. On another note, you might be interested to know that all the business owners I have spoken with want Pilgrims/JBS to do well as business in this area. Not one single business has express the hatred that your blogs have. That really says it all.
Sarah

Mount Pleasant, TX

#33 Oct 11, 2010
Sales Rep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I was responding to Hammering Mikes blog from Mt. Pleasant, TX in regards to things being down in this east Texas area, not other states. I do know that Pilgrims encountered increases in the price of feed, fuel and other factors that they could not forsee. No one could have. This impacted their operations. You know, my company managers will listen to me, but in most cases do not act on the information I have or that of those higher up the totem pole 99% of the time. That is because there is a company owner at the helm. It is the owners job to make the decisions for the company, not the managers, the sales reps, or anyone elses. This is the case with Pilgrim's. You all want to act like you are owners when you are just suppliers. Alot of people lost their jobs, but you know that is just business. I'm sitting in a hotel doing my reports, traveling all over Texas and other states working 60+ hours a week for a 40 hour paycheck and I am happy to have it. Many people are out of work from the recession. If Bo Pilgrim had not have done it to you it would have been someone else. It is this way everywhere. If you want to blame the real problem makers blame China, Japan, India, Thailand, Vietnam and other countries for our trade imbalance that was created through our democratic presidents. Most everything already comes from these countries and your chicken and steaks are probably next if Pilgrims, Tysons and others do not remain profitable. If you think it is bad now, just wait another year with Obama. An old saying sums this up in that it is not personal it is just business. That is all this is. Companies acquired in an acquisition were probably deemed not profitable enough to keep open or not needed because of duplication of services or other factors, so they were closed. Yes, people lost their jobs, but this is a normal function in business. It has happened to me before. Yes I was upset but I had to pick up the pieces and was sending out resumes that evening. You put out alot of hate trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I do. Just because people disagree with your position does not make them wrong or your right. Sadly I know your anger in this matter will just fester inside you as there is little to nothing you and all of your cohorts can do. Best wishes in your endeavors as I have to get back to filling out my sales reports. I made an incredible amount of sales today in an area that "Hammering Mike" thinks is down because of Pilgrims. On another note, you might be interested to know that all the business owners I have spoken with want Pilgrims/JBS to do well as business in this area. Not one single business has express the hatred that your blogs have. That really says it all.
Boy there are a bunch of hateful "growers" on these Pilgrims blogs. They are clearly alienating any sympathy from people with their hate. They are like a bunch of Nazis trying to push their own little agenda. I noticed if you don't agree with them they really get ugly. In looking at the information on this site and what has been in the newspapers the past year I know it is not all Pilgrims fault. The economy and rises prices took an impact on their business. I'm praying for all of them tonight and hopefully everyone will do well in the future.
old chicken farmer

Banks, AR

#34 Oct 12, 2010
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy there are a bunch of hateful "growers" on these Pilgrims blogs. They are clearly alienating any sympathy from people with their hate. They are like a bunch of Nazis trying to push their own little agenda. I noticed if you don't agree with them they really get ugly. In looking at the information on this site and what has been in the newspapers the past year I know it is not all Pilgrims fault. The economy and rises prices took an impact on their business. I'm praying for all of them tonight and hopefully everyone will do well in the future.
Then tell me why no other poultry integrator in the United States have went bankrupt or shut down any of their facalities? Why? It was all Pilgrim's Pride fault. Their lact of due diligence in the acquisition of Gold Kist propelled this company into bankruptcy along with their ill advised practice of hedging on corn futures. Bankruptcy could have been avoided, plants could have remained opened, hourly workers jobs could have been saved, and farmers would not be facing eviction from their farms and homes if only Pilgrim's Pride had been willing to sell the facalities that were shut down. But Pilgrim's Pride was trying to manipulate the poultry market by shutting down plants in their effort to create an artificial shortage of poultry. How absurd the analogy of comparing the growers with Nazi. If anything, Bo Pilgrim acted like Hitler dictating and controlling the future of workers, farmers, and entire communities. All the growers are asking for is "a crumb that fell from the rich man's table".
old chicken farmer

Banks, AR

#35 Oct 12, 2010
I have been fortunate to avoid being sucked under by the mismanagment and greed of this company. But others were not as fortunate. Young couples with kids that had everything taken from them due to simple corporate greed. If Bo was truly concerned he would be helping those that were destroyed by the actions of his company. Our church is doing everything we can in an effort to help those families. Buying them food, clothes for those with school kids, trying to help them find employment, a place to live, and transportation. Some that have been foreclosed on had their cars and trucks tied up in those loans. They basically had to leave their homes with just the clothes on their back. We are tying to encourage these families to remain active in church but some have dropped from church because of what they perceive the actions of a Christian man. I rather have a millstone tied around my neck.
Tammy

East Peoria, IL

#37 Oct 13, 2010
old chicken farmer wrote:
<quoted text>Then tell me why no other poultry integrator in the United States have went bankrupt or shut down any of their facalities? Why? It was all Pilgrim's Pride fault. Their lact of due diligence in the acquisition of Gold Kist propelled this company into bankruptcy along with their ill advised practice of hedging on corn futures. Bankruptcy could have been avoided, plants could have remained opened, hourly workers jobs could have been saved, and farmers would not be facing eviction from their farms and homes if only Pilgrim's Pride had been willing to sell the facalities that were shut down. But Pilgrim's Pride was trying to manipulate the poultry market by shutting down plants in their effort to create an artificial shortage of poultry. How absurd the analogy of comparing the growers with Nazi. If anything, Bo Pilgrim acted like Hitler dictating and controlling the future of workers, farmers, and entire communities. All the growers are asking for is "a crumb that fell from the rich man's table".
I'm sorry, I did not see your name on the company prospectus. You seem to have been left off as an owner or even a major investor in the company information. Until you are one of these people, then you have no right to judge their actions. It is their company to do with as they please. The person that catches the chickens or scoops up the chicken poop is not the person in charge of the company. That is just how business works. Clearly you have no formal business education or you and the rest of the yahoos on this forum would not be showing the public what ignorant asses they are. You make decisions in accordance with your company involvement. Clearly your involvement is substandard to being a major player so you are subject to what happens to you because of that. To put it all in language you can understand, people with little to no risk have little to gain and everything to lose. This is what happened to all of you. Duh.......
canceled grower

College Station, TX

#38 Oct 13, 2010
before this is over contract growers will have alot more say in how they are treated. you surley work for pilgrims pr you think you can stop all of this with your filthy mouth. i have not heard one single grower spout the bile that comes from your mouth.shame on you tammy you really should wash your mouth out.i wouldnt put all that stuff in my mouth if i were you.maybe you should find yourself a good man and buy yourselves a nice little chicken farm and see what a good life is all about.there are alot of them on the market.please calm down and have a nice evening.
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#39 Oct 13, 2010
Here is a report that was in MarketWatch. It seems that some people are wrong in their assumption that PPC is bouncing back. This report is on the 10 major stocks that institutional investors are dumping.

9. Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC): Market cap of $411M. RSI(14) at 30.72. Institutional investors currently own 25,709,395 shares vs. 26,835,594 shares held 3 months ago (-4.2% change). Short float at 5.48%, which implies a short ratio of 6.27 days. The stock has lost -18.38% over the last year.

The fact that institutional investors are beginning to move away from PPC,(4.2% in the last quarter) should be a concern of anyone holding PPC stock. If I owned PPC stock I'd be getting rid of it quickly. Corn prices are increasing along with fuel prices and it will cut futher into PPC's profit margin.
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#40 Oct 13, 2010
Tammy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, I did not see your name on the company prospectus. You seem to have been left off as an owner or even a major investor in the company information. Until you are one of these people, then you have no right to judge their actions. It is their company to do with as they please. The person that catches the chickens or scoops up the chicken poop is not the person in charge of the company. That is just how business works. Clearly you have no formal business education or you and the rest of the yahoos on this forum would not be showing the public what ignorant asses they are. You make decisions in accordance with your company involvement. Clearly your involvement is substandard to being a major player so you are subject to what happens to you because of that. To put it all in language you can understand, people with little to no risk have little to gain and everything to lose. This is what happened to all of you. Duh.......
This is still the United States where I DO HAVE THE RIGHT (it's in the U.S. Constitution) to voice my opinion about the actions of a corporation. Also if anything is substandard it's your vulgar language or maybe it is your lack of intelligence that you aren't capable of expressing yourself in any other manner.
Beth

Mount Pleasant, TX

#41 Oct 13, 2010
old chicken farmer wrote:
<quoted text>This is still the United States where I DO HAVE THE RIGHT (it's in the U.S. Constitution) to voice my opinion about the actions of a corporation. Also if anything is substandard it's your vulgar language or maybe it is your lack of intelligence that you aren't capable of expressing yourself in any other manner.
Guess you need to read some of your earlier postings. One of the commandments comes to mind, "Thou Shalt Not Lie." Your postings are pretty deep and then other postings attack people when they disagree with you and then it all escalates.
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#42 Oct 13, 2010
Beth wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you need to read some of your earlier postings. One of the commandments comes to mind, "Thou Shalt Not Lie." Your postings are pretty deep and then other postings attack people when they disagree with you and then it all escalates.
Back again huh, "Tammy".
Beth

Mount Pleasant, TX

#43 Oct 13, 2010
old chicken farmer wrote:
Here is a report that was in MarketWatch. It seems that some people are wrong in their assumption that PPC is bouncing back. This report is on the 10 major stocks that institutional investors are dumping.
9. Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC): Market cap of $411M. RSI(14) at 30.72. Institutional investors currently own 25,709,395 shares vs. 26,835,594 shares held 3 months ago (-4.2% change). Short float at 5.48%, which implies a short ratio of 6.27 days. The stock has lost -18.38% over the last year.
The fact that institutional investors are beginning to move away from PPC,(4.2% in the last quarter) should be a concern of anyone holding PPC stock. If I owned PPC stock I'd be getting rid of it quickly. Corn prices are increasing along with fuel prices and it will cut futher into PPC's profit margin.
Real investors hold stocks for the long haul, not the short profit and sell. I bought Pilgrims at about .25 cents a share. I've made a good bit of money now on a $250,000 investment, which has turned into $6,460,000 as of today, but I am holding on to it. The stock value today is $6.46 a share and I am still going to buy more as it keeps going up. On Pilgrims website they have 12 pages of jobs across the US. Most are managerial. If they were hurting these jobs would not be posted to be filled. One thing you will quickly learn about stocks is you don't follow the emotions of the market or some little Market Watch report as you have posted. People panic and sell when they should hold and these little reports help create that with the inexperienced investor. Look at how much money I have made in a very short time. Personally, I am glad this is happening for Pilgrims, I am now very well off because of it. I gambled my retirement on Bo Pilgrim and now I am a millionaire six times over. Everyone knew they would come back and they are doing it. Its too bad you have had bad luck with the company, but that happens. I understand your frustration, but people like myself see through you and what you are really trying to do in promoting a false sense of downfall for Pilgrims because of your misfortunes. As much as you hate Bo Pilgrim and the company, you have become just such a similar person with all of your hatred. Take what money you have and buy PPC Stock it will keep going up and you will make money. I'm living proof of it and thank God now everyday for Bo Pilgrim and Pilgrim's Pride. Even the security guard at the freezer plant gate stocked up on every penny of Pilgrim's Pride stock he could buy. He is now fairly well off because of Bo Pilgrim.
Tammy

Mount Pleasant, TX

#44 Oct 13, 2010
old chicken farmer wrote:
<quoted text>Back again huh, "Tammy".
Yes, back momentarily, you give me much humor. I've told all my friends to look at your sad little postings. I'm sure they will find you as interesting as I have. Some work at Pilgrims and have found your information comical in its fictionalization of the facts.

I see you are still unable to truthfully answer questions and continue making up lies about business, "old chicken farmer?"

I really hope you and the rest are able to recover from your problems. Just remember you are responsible for your life and situation, no one else is. Trying to blame others for your downfall is just being irresponsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Judge Brian Lee Crooked???? (Jan '17) 21 hr bigfoot 3
just wondering May 16 bigfoot 1
Brian Whitfield Nuwave reporter (Jan '11) May 14 NSA 45
Pilgrims JBS Pittsburg May 10 bigfoot 4
Corruption In The Mt. Pleasant Police Department (Aug '11) May 7 Unknown 8
Consondra Beard May 6 bigfoot 2
Couple Harrassed By Mt. Pleasant Police Dept**W... (Oct '10) Apr 22 bigfoot 22

Pittsburg Jobs

Personal Finance

Pittsburg Mortgages