Bankruptcy judge approves Pilgrim's P...

Bankruptcy judge approves Pilgrim's Pride exit plan

There are 87 comments on the The Dallas Morning News story from Dec 10, 2009, titled Bankruptcy judge approves Pilgrim's Pride exit plan. In it, The Dallas Morning News reports that:

A U.S. bankruptcy judge in Fort Worth on Thursday approved the exit plan for Pilgrim's Pride Corp., clearing the way for the poultry processor to become part of a giant Brazilian beef company.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Dallas Morning News.

ChickenedOut

United States

#21 Aug 31, 2010
canceled grower wrote:
jbs pilgrims is not planing to build new houses in the good old u.s.a. they plan expand in mexico why should they build here when they can can do it there for five percent of what it costs here.they are in it for the money and they dont care about our problems.
In the same boat.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#22 Aug 31, 2010
Mexico is not very strong on Human rights issues. Ever wonder why the USDA sent into Mexico a team of food inspectors? Could it be that they are preparing to import poultry from Mexico, into the United States? There are sinister plans in the works, and is suspect none of them will be good for the American workforce, or the American poultry farmer.
Farm18

United States

#25 Aug 31, 2010
Not much new here. Same thins happening
ScottB

United States

#26 Sep 1, 2010
Same going on here.
Bernie

United States

#27 Sep 2, 2010
Judge didnt approve my bankruptcy
Seth

United States

#29 Sep 21, 2010
I know....
Hammering Mike

Mount Pleasant, TX

#30 Sep 21, 2010
canceled grower wrote:
jbs pilgrims is not planing to build new houses in the good old u.s.a. they plan expand in mexico why should they build here when they can can do it there for five percent of what it costs here.they are in it for the money and they dont care about our problems.
I agree.
formergrower

United States

#31 Sep 22, 2010
so where was my exit plan in all of this.
Mark

Mount Pleasant, TX

#32 Sep 28, 2010
former grower wrote:
I cant beleive any grower/farmer would even consider building new houses for Pilgrims Pride with their history of treating growers bad, first of all the new houses would not cash flow at the current contract price to grow chickens, growers should be paid at least TEN cents per pound in todays economey with expenses continuly increasing. I do not think anymore houses will ever be built in the Live Oak division. The growers have been screwed long enough by Pilgrims Pride.
Then quit whining and go to work for someone else. If you dont like whom you are working for then have the balls to leave. Dont be a wimp and stay where you are and whine about it all the time. god you sound like a 30 year old kid that thinks his parents should let him move in and bum off them.
old chicken farmer

United States

#33 Sep 29, 2010
Mark,I don't understand how anyone that is currently raising chickens can just leave and go to work for someone else. Please explain HOW you are going to raise chickens for someone else when they are the ONLY game in town. It doesn't sound as if you are very knowledgeable concerning the poultry business. Once these large integrators induce you into building these poultry houses you are hooked. With a loan of $1.2 million there is no way a person can just leave because of the very nature of this business. Each major poultry integrator have their territory staked out and they very rarely will intrude upon another integrator's area. So as you can plainly see, there is NO ONE else in which to raise birds. It is like an unwritten law between the major integrators to stay out of each others area. In other words, like a monopoly. By operating in this manner, the major poultry integrators can hold growers in virtual bondage with very little hope of ever breaking free. And as far as wanting to "bum" off anyone, well that is absurd.

Location hidden

#34 Sep 29, 2010
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then quit whining and go to work for someone else. If you dont like whom you are working for then have the balls to leave. Dont be a wimp and stay where you are and whine about it all the time. god you sound like a 30 year old kid that thinks his parents should let him move in and bum off them.
Mark, have you ever owned a business, investing hundred of thousands of dollars, I have my doubts. The majority of people who make responses like yours, have a wage earner mentality, and have no concept of what is involved in owning and operating a business. As a rule of thumb, the banks want your home, land, every thing that they can get as collaterial to stand for the loans, they would take your first born children if they could. So it is not as simple as, hey, I don't like my job, I think I'll find me another one. If that was all that was involved, the farmers would just change integrators. From your comment, I know that you are either totally ignorant of the farmers plight, or you are somehow tied in with the criminals who have visited this evil on the farmers. Either way as per your comment, you obviously do not have a clue as to what you think you know. So many people just do not realize, this is not merely a job, for these farmers. In farming, the farmer who has the poultry houses, not only works, His/Her entire family generally works on the farm, to make it work. Most farmers have to work an extra full time job somewhere else, as do their spouses, in addition to doing the farm work. Before you spout off at the mouth, get a clue as to what you are talking about.
old chicken farmer

United States

#35 Sep 29, 2010
Mark's comment is futher evidence of the need to educate the public concerning the plight of poultry farmers. The major integrators have been spewing out their propaganda and putting a spin on their downright illegal business practices and it is time the public hears the truth. This is the moment in time for ALL poultry growers to unite and demand these billion dollar tyrants are held accountable for their actions. The word is beginning to spread about this business and needs to continue. We need to be viligant in our effort to expose the wrong inflicted upon farmers by these mega corporations. Our effort to bring this issue before the public may prevent an unknowingly potential grower from being suckered into this ponzi scheme the integrators are operating.
Bubba

United States

#36 Sep 29, 2010
former grower wrote:
I cant beleive any grower/farmer would even consider building new houses for Pilgrims Pride with their history of treating growers bad, first of all the new houses would not cash flow at the current contract price to grow chickens, growers should be paid at least TEN cents per pound in todays economey with expenses continuly increasing. I do not think anymore houses will ever be built in the Live Oak division. The growers have been screwed long enough by Pilgrims Pride.
Then have the guts to quit Pilgrims, quit whining about them and go somewhere else. Clearly all these whiners havent got the guts to strike out on their own. Pilgrims doesnt owe you any favors. Your in it for the money and so are they.

Location hidden

#37 Sep 29, 2010
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
Then have the guts to quit Pilgrims, quit whining about them and go somewhere else. Clearly all these whiners havent got the guts to strike out on their own. Pilgrims doesnt owe you any favors. Your in it for the money and so are they.
Bubba as I wrote to Mark, and this also goes to all those out there who don't have a real clue as to what it is to be a poultry farmer, have you ever owned a business, investing hundred of thousands of dollars, I have my doubts. The majority of people who make responses like yours, have a wage earner mentality, and have no concept of what is involved in owning and operating a business. As a rule of thumb, the banks want your home, land, every thing that they can get as collaterial to stand for the loans, they would take your first born children if they could. So it is not as simple as, hey, I don't like my job, I think I'll find me another one. If that was all that was involved, the farmers would just change integrators. From your comment, I know that you are either totally ignorant of the farmers plight, or you are somehow tied in with the criminals who have visited this evil on the farmers. Either way as per your comment, you obviously do not have a clue as to what you think you know. So many people just do not realize, this is not merely a job, for these farmers. In farming, the farmer who has the poultry houses, not only works, His/Her entire family generally works on the farm, to make it work. Most farmers have to work an extra full time job somewhere else, as do their spouses, in addition to doing the farm work. Before you spout off at the mouth, get a clue as to what you are talking about.
old chicken farmer

United States

#38 Sep 29, 2010
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bubba" you really are ignorant about poultry farming. You have no clue what you are talking about. How does a poultry farmer with a million dollars invested, with only one integrator in his particular area, go somewhere else? I would really like an answer to this question as many cancelled growers would also. And if you can come up with a plauseable answer I can assure you that every cancelled grower will come running. I am patiently waiting to hear the "miracle" answer from you.
Rascal

Taylor, AR

#39 Sep 29, 2010
How is Bo gonna make chicken out of beef?
MP Native

United States

#40 Sep 30, 2010
Rascal wrote:
How is Bo gonna make chicken out of beef?
Genetic engineering.
Rascal

Taylor, AR

#41 Oct 1, 2010
MP Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetic engineering.
Ok,,,Cool. At least it won't be fat, yellow beef....:)
Possible Stockholder

Newark, NJ

#42 Oct 7, 2010
Pilgrim's Pride completely sold out. I hope something stops their move to Mexico.

Check out my site. www.internationalfundingcorp.com
We are in the bankruptcy business.

Is there any home for the domestic chicken industry? Or will we import that too?
Bubba

East Peoria, IL

#43 Oct 7, 2010
old chicken farmer wrote:
<quoted text>"Bubba" you really are ignorant about poultry farming. You have no clue what you are talking about. How does a poultry farmer with a million dollars invested, with only one integrator in his particular area, go somewhere else? I would really like an answer to this question as many cancelled growers would also. And if you can come up with a plauseable answer I can assure you that every cancelled grower will come running. I am patiently waiting to hear the "miracle" answer from you.
I may be somewhat ignorant as you say in some matters, but then again you are the dumbshit that put all your eggs in one basket and are now screaming like an old hen. Find other buyers for your product, if you can't then you are right, you are screwed. Tysons is not far from here. If you can't sell there or anywhere else then chalk this up as an expensive learning experience. All this crying is going on, but compared to the rest of the United States you are in pretty good shape. When you put "all your eggs in one basket" then don't complain. When everyone was riding high with Pilgrims, we didnt see all this stuff on the internet. Now that you feathers have been plucked your screaming there's a wolf in the hen house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah Wilks in Lafayette 14 hr Willie Granville 1
Mt Pleasant Dirty Cops (Aug '10) Aug 14 Greendragon 28
News Former Daingerfield man writes book about 1980 ... (Dec '09) Aug 13 Willie Granville 8
Lone Star Music Thread Aug 11 Musikologist 1
Winnsboro High Jul 28 Kmorrow721 3
Mt. Pleasant Music Thread (Oct '13) Jul 27 Musikologist 10
Counterfeit Money in Daingerfield (Oct '16) Jul 25 api 2

Pittsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsburg Mortgages