Reports: Pilgrim's Pride nears $2B sa...

Reports: Pilgrim's Pride nears $2B sale to Brazilian beef producer JBS but both companies mum

There are 61 comments on the WHNT-TV Huntsville story from Sep 2, 2009, titled Reports: Pilgrim's Pride nears $2B sale to Brazilian beef producer JBS but both companies mum. In it, WHNT-TV Huntsville reports that:

Media reports say beleaguered chicken producer Pilgrim's Pride Corp. is nearing a sale to Brazilian beef producer JBS SA for $2 billion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT-TV Huntsville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
IMPORTANT

Petersburg, WV

#1 Sep 4, 2009
I hope abs buy you out working in your plant SUCKSSS
SUPERVISOR

Petersburg, WV

#2 Sep 4, 2009
I cant wait Bo sure has cause a plenty of trouble for honest people to earn a honest living...

moorefield wv
ELLIJAY GEORGIA

Covington, LA

#3 Sep 5, 2009
OK WHERE DO THE EMPLOYEES START I HOPE THE SALE HAPPENS DUE TO THE FACT THAT BO PILGRIM AND HIS SON ARE GREEDY AND FRAUDS WHEN HE BOUGHT GOLD KIST OUT WE WERE ALL TO BE ''PARTNERS'' THAT IS BS ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE OLE MIGHTY DOLLAR. WE GOT A 25 CENTS RAISE EACH YEAR BUT OUR INSURANCE WENT UP 75 CENTS SO LONNIE ''BO'' PILGRIM I HOPE ALL THE GREED YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAS WILL TAKE YOU ALL TO THE POOR HOUSE LIKE IT HAS TAKEN ME JBS PLEASE BUY US OUT
robert

Carrollton, GA

#4 Sep 7, 2009
i work former goldkist plant in carrollton we feel same way pilgrms sux dont care about work here
sue

Gilmer, TX

#5 Sep 8, 2009
working as a supervisor in mt pleasant plant use to be injoyable,but lately they expect you to work 50/70 hours for no extra pay. pilgrims pride does not care about family life just their money.Everyone is afraid to say anything,because upper management may let you go with no warnning because you voiced your oppion
James

Mount Pleasant, TX

#6 Sep 9, 2009
I work for a trucking company that is contracted out to Pilgrim's and over the two and a half years i've worked under the Pilgrim's cvontract i've noticed a change. When we get fuel for our trucks we have to go to a Pilgrim's site to fill the refers, it doen't matter that we have to drive extra miles to get there and it doesn't matter if we are late with the loads. All Pilgrim's cares about is their pocketbooks and how fat they get. they do not care who's throat they cut or how much business they steal or take from others. I will not mention any names, but there is a curtain company that bent over backwards for Pilgrim's for seven years, done everything Pilgrim's asked of them and when the time came for the new contract to be signed, Pilgrim's gave the new contract to another trucking company jeopordizing everyone job and making it hard on others. When i heard that Pilgrim's was being sold i jumped for joy. And when i heard Pilgim's was filing for bankrupcy it made my day. This company is getting everything they deserve. I hope they go out of business and go broke. This company does not know how to run a businees and they make everyones job harder than it should be. I've been driving a truck for over eight years and driving a truck working under Pilgrim's Pride hasn't been a very good experience because everything has to be difficult when it comes to Pilgrim's. I hope the new owners care more about their employees than Pilgrim's has and i hope the pay and benefits will change for the better under the new owners. I agree with others when they say upper manegement for Pilgrim's are a bunch of suckasses and didn't care for others, only themselves. Well, they are 100% right. Thanks for the HEADACHE PILGRIM"S PRIDE.
old chicken farmer

Camden, AR

#7 Sep 10, 2009
Pilgrim's Pride has no morals. With their corporate lawyers, they have dodged laws; such as enviromental, immigration, fair labor, and P&S guidelines; in order to put more money in their pockets. I can still remember when Pilgrim bought out ConAgra the remark made by Bo Pilgrim, "this company will be run on Bible based principals". Well it looks as if Bo's greed got in the way of his beliefs. There is one principal in the Bible that Bo has proven. The love of money is the root of all evil. I'm not saying Bo is evil, it's just that he has sure shown a tremendous love of money even to the point of causing entire communities severe hardship without any remorse. Since the beginning of this mess Bo Pilgrim single-handily created, he has went into hiding. Looks to me like if Bo was even slightly remorseful for the hardship he caused so many families, he would have at least publicly apologized or at least sent each person affected a letter showing some concern. But no one has heard one word from Lonnie "Bo" Pilgrim. I wonder if he is still handing out those religious tracts with $20 stuck in them? Probably not! I don't know how this man could go out in public and face anyone after this fiasco. I hope and pray that JBS buys out Pilgrim's Pride and finally put an end to this company. Continue to BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
MP native

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2009
The "upper class" of Pilgrim's has always claimed Biblical standards as proof of their success or as a way to cajole the masses into blindly following their decisions.

I remember a letter sent out by Corporate that contained the following verses:

Eph 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;
Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from1 the heart;
Eph 6:7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:
Eph 6:8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

They conveniently left out the rest of the Chapter:

Eph 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

Mr. Pilgrim, you don't "claim the Name" and then use the tactics of the world ( as in the thinly-veiled hostile takeover of GoldKist , the sale of millions of dollars' worth of exaggerated-value stock, etc.) and expect the Lord to bless such actions. Your problems have come from your own actions, NOT from the people who have worked in your plants for years (and who are now being treated like dirt by the bullies you have placed in positions of power in order to "straighten this mess out").

Repent, sir. You don't have to make a grand public apology to satisfy the media. Go into your private place and get it right with God before the whole mess (along with several thousand people's aspirations) comes crashing down around you.

Please.
reasonable thoughts

United States

#9 Sep 11, 2009
It is interesting to see how people can judge others so easily. We all have our personal thoughts and frustrations with Pilgrim's Pride, yet those of us that still work here would like to see nothing more than our company to come out of this bankruptcy more productive and a better place to work than it is now. We tend to get caught up in all the bueracracy and want to vent to anyone that will listen, but what good does that do when you have so many chiefs making decisions for the few working hard to make a living for our families. Had Pilgrim's not gone into bankruptcy and had to cut cost, jobs, and plants none of us would feel this frustrated with the jobs normally we would enjoy. Life happens and you have to take the bad with the good. Everyone is saying they would like JBS to buy out Pilgrim's Pride, but have you really research that company? It has it's problems as well and at least at Pilgrim's we have the right to worship or take a break to pray to whatever God we chose. JBS fired Muslim's because they walked out after being promised time to pray and was denied. Then fired those very people. So you tell me which is better? Half a dozen of one or 6 of the other. All businesses are in it for the money or they wouldn't be "businesses".
old chicken farmer

Monticello, AR

#10 Sep 11, 2009
You will know them by the fruit they bear. Alot of people could have been spared financial hardship if only Bo had been willing to sell the plants he shut down. So don't give me this stuff about how good this company has performed. It's called greed!! Pilgrim's Pride shut plants down and put people and entire communities into dire financial trouble in order to reduce the amount of low-value chicken on the market. Pure and simple!!! It was done without any regard to those that would suffer in order to increase their profits. It is call "market manipulation" which just happens to be against the law. Currently there are numerous lawsuits against Pilgrim's Pride concerning just this issue. Add to that the violation of labor laws, immigration laws and environmental laws and it becomes very apparent this is a company that needs to be put out of business. And let's not forget ole Bo trying to influence Texas state legislators by passing out envelops stuffed with money in order to get bills passed that would be favorable to his company. Oh, and using untaxed diesel in his trucks. The list is very long. This company needs to be put out of business. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
Former Grower

Fort Scott, KS

#11 Sep 11, 2009
What about the fact that many of the growers who are out of chickens now can not pay their taxes. Did they go to the counties and beg to be allowed to pay only a percentage of their taxes because they were broke? No, they have to pay their taxes even if they are about to lose their farms. And all the time, where is Bo living? Tell me what is fair!!!
robert

Carrollton, GA

#12 Sep 11, 2009
i work carrollton,ga former goldkist plant we were goldkist 1 plant now we fill like we in pure hell working for pilgrim pride these people want you to kiss there ass and work three times hard for same money no rasied in two years
MP native

United States

#13 Sep 12, 2009
Sorry to burst your bubble Robert , but they'd sell their souls to get their stock back up to a reasonable level so they can make their money back. There are good people being fired left and right for no reason other than the higher ups don't like their "attitude".

Don't be fooled by the "freedom of religious expression " rhetoric so glibly spouted by the execs. They don't care if you worship God but are only interested in if you'll support their worship of Mammon (Matthew 6:24) by going to their churches and playing along with the world's system.
MP native

United States

#14 Sep 13, 2009
Sorry Robert. That post was directed at "reasonable thoughts".
reasonable thoughts

United States

#15 Sep 14, 2009
I am not saying that they are the best company to work for. They have thier major issues as far as not paying enough, the insurance is horrible for what we pay and the way the company is ran is not in the best interest of it's employee's. All I am saying is that every company has it's ups and downs and its issues. I am just thankful to have a full time job in this economy and wishing that a company will just up and close or fall to shambles is just self-fish for the person thinking it. Those of us who are still lucky to have a job are greatful no matter what. And as far as enjoying working at Pilgrim's, I believe there was a time when it was successful people really did enjoy working here. And we took advantage of the liberties we had. Now that it is falling apart people are now seeing a different side of things. We tend to live the dream while in prosperity and dread the nightmares as that era ends.
Bankrupt poultry farmer

Jasper, FL

#16 Sep 14, 2009
sounds like "reasonable thoughts" comments tells me his last name might be Pilgrim!!!!!!! standing up for a company that treats employees and contract growers like dirt11111
old chicken farmer

Marshall, TX

#17 Sep 14, 2009
The issue is not Pilgrim's Pride trying to their company into one that is profitable. It is the manner in which they have conducted business. And if someone wants to talk about who's being selfish, let's take a good look at Pilgrim's Pride. Because of reckless decisions made by this company's management, esp. Bo Pilgrim, it went bankrupt. It was the "selfish" obession of Bo to be the top integrator that led him to borrow $1.4 billion to buy Gold Kist and load this company with debt. And it was a "selfish" act of Bo Pilgrim to shut down facalities in order to manipulate the price of chicken on the market. It was "selfish" of Pilgrim's Pride to shutter the plants and remove them completely from the market instead of putting them up for sale. So, if we are talking about someone being "selfish", take a good long look at Bo Pilgrim and this greedy, selfish, and self-satisfying company. Pilgrim's Pride not only caused me and my family to lose our way of life, they have prevented us from trying to re-establish our way of life by refusing to act in good faith and sell these closed facalities. But you must remember, being "selfish" as Bo is, he just doesn't want anyone else to own these shuttered plants. I just refuse to buy Pilgrim's Pride products and hope that someone buy out this company. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
Former Grower

Tickfaw, LA

#18 Sep 15, 2009
I just don't see how the man (Bo) who calls himself a Christian can treat people the way he has done. Or at least allow them to be treated by his employees. How can he sit there in his huge house when the growers are all losing theirs? He even got a break in his tases because "he could not pay such high taxes"? How about all of the farmers who have to still pay their taxes? I can not understand how the man can look in the mirror or sleep at night. It is beyond me how a man could live with himself. I could never live with myself if I had done this to anyone. Maybe that is why he has billions and I can hardly pay my bills.
Moshulator

San Antonio, TX

#19 Sep 15, 2009
James wrote:
I work for a trucking company that is contracted out to Pilgrim's and over the two and a half years i've worked under the Pilgrim's cvontract i've noticed a change. When we get fuel for our trucks we have to go to a Pilgrim's site to fill the refers, it doen't matter that we have to drive extra miles to get there and it doesn't matter if we are late with the loads. All Pilgrim's cares about is their pocketbooks and how fat they get. they do not care who's throat they cut or how much business they steal or take from others. I will not mention any names, but there is a curtain company that bent over backwards for Pilgrim's for seven years, done everything Pilgrim's asked of them and when the time came for the new contract to be signed, Pilgrim's gave the new contract to another trucking company jeopordizing everyone job and making it hard on others. When i heard that Pilgrim's was being sold i jumped for joy. And when i heard Pilgim's was filing for bankrupcy it made my day. This company is getting everything they deserve. I hope they go out of business and go broke. This company does not know how to run a businees and they make everyones job harder than it should be. I've been driving a truck for over eight years and driving a truck working under Pilgrim's Pride hasn't been a very good experience because everything has to be difficult when it comes to Pilgrim's. I hope the new owners care more about their employees than Pilgrim's has and i hope the pay and benefits will change for the better under the new owners. I agree with others when they say upper manegement for Pilgrim's are a bunch of suckasses and didn't care for others, only themselves. Well, they are 100% right. Thanks for the HEADACHE PILGRIM"S PRIDE.
I understand what you are saying James, And tell me this why are all the Pilgims Pride semi's I see here in Georgia and Alabama running Texas plates???
Downright Fed UP

United States

#20 Sep 15, 2009
I say we find John bekkers and kick his @ss!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police? (Mar '15) Sep 15 muledeer 7
Sarah Wilks in Lafayette Aug '17 Willie Granville 1
Mt Pleasant Dirty Cops (Aug '10) Aug '17 Greendragon 28
News Former Daingerfield man writes book about 1980 ... (Dec '09) Aug '17 Willie Granville 8
Lone Star Music Thread Aug '17 Musikologist 1
Winnsboro High Jul '17 Kmorrow721 3
Mt. Pleasant Music Thread (Oct '13) Jul '17 Musikologist 10

Pittsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pittsburg Mortgages