Brentwood residents sound off about W...

Brentwood residents sound off about Walmart

There are 54 comments on the Brentwood Press story from Aug 25, 2011, titled Brentwood residents sound off about Walmart. In it, Brentwood Press reports that:

Allowing a Walmart store to open in Brentwood would sound the death-knell to the newly revitalized downtown area, residents told the City Council Tuesday, vowing to fight any attempt for the mega-retailer to locate in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brentwood Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
U sound dumb

United States

#44 Jun 18, 2012
First off the word Ghetto is not a person its a place so get that shit right locate your dictionary and look it up stupid .......
sarah

Antioch, CA

#45 Jun 18, 2012
OakleyMom wrote:
Oh and FYI......all of us SEE you Brentwood people shopping at WalMart so don't say you don't!
Yeah the broke people in brentwood. Hahahahaha
vote yes for Walmart

Germany

#47 Jun 20, 2012
Yes, I think a Walmart at the streets of Brentwood would be very good. so when I come back to visit there will be American version of Culture. I didn't know Brentwood was so High Brow either. Is it that golf course that makes it uppity classy?
sarah

Antioch, CA

#48 Jun 20, 2012
vote yes for Walmart wrote:
Yes, I think a Walmart at the streets of Brentwood would be very good. so when I come back to visit there will be American version of Culture. I didn't know Brentwood was so High Brow either. Is it that golf course that makes it uppity classy?
At the streets of brentwood? That would never happen! The streets of brentwood is for upscale retailers not walmart.
sarah

Antioch, CA

#52 Jun 22, 2012
Except the people in Antioch got greedy! you should look up craigslist and look at all the homes for section 8 or check out the HUD Website. There is like no homes for section 8 in brentwood.
Literally there is a big difference between the cities.
wtf

Antioch, CA

#53 Jun 22, 2012
Antioch median income is not even comparable to what brentwood's is. We keep on attracting higher income people because we are building large executive homes for them. We have a thriving downtown and a thriving mall, While antioch just has poor poor and more poor people!!!
dgod

San Pablo, CA

#54 Jun 22, 2013
WALMART YAY, cheap foreign labor, depress ppl working there, closing all the mom and pop stores, the people of walmart ayaya.
Winter Bird

Brentwood, CA

#55 Jan 29, 2016
Its really sad that a town like Brentwood is so racist. Wallmart is not about Ghetto People or low lives. Its about purchasing at low price. If you Brentwood people think that just because you pay high price for an item. Does not make you better. It makes u stupid. Why pay more when you can get it for less. It looks to me the the ghetto people and those so call low lives. have a jump start on Brentwood. I came here from the big city of Chicago. No! Im not black, white or Mexican. But what I see here are nothing but a bunch of Racist, people with their nose up in the air. I welcome Chicago any time. Their the people are devirsify and yes we have walmart in the low income neighborhood and upper scale neighborhood. Regardless of the winters, Im out of here.
Winter Bird

Brentwood, CA

#56 Jan 29, 2016
You must live in Brentwood. The message is the same. Ghetto neightbor hood or people. Brentwood is still a racist town to live in.
Stay informed

Antioch, CA

#57 Jan 30, 2016
Regina wrote:
Walmart is not the devil incarnate. Non union is not illegal. Low pricing is a positive. Lower wages may be a reality, however none of us are forced to accept wages that we do not agree to. Health insurance is a fringe benefit that has and is provided to Walmart employees depending upon their employment status, part-time or full time. The opposition to this store appears to be an amalgam of the major grocery retailers, unions, and a handful of snobs that consider anything but Whole Foods, or Gene's worthy of our exhaulted city. Walmart provides good merchandise, at lower cost. Brentwood needs an outlet for those not earning high end salaries. The permit should be granted, and soon.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-walmarts-low... #!
Nice Mom

Antioch, CA

#58 Feb 1, 2016
We make almost $ 200k, and I am college educated as well. Although I prefer Target because it is cleaner and brighter, I have also shopped at Walmart. I live in Antioch and have paid off my house. I don't want another mortgage payment! I do love Brentwood though and their city planners are usually smarter about the placement of businesses. However, don't assume that people with higher incomes don't shop at Walmart! I am on the PTA board and usually a room mom or team mom, and it is easier and cheaper to buy the snacks, party goods, prizes, materials for the Harvest Fair, etc. at WM. It stretches our dollar to be able to give back to the schools.

My sister who owns a biotech consulting firm makes even more than we do combined and just bought a 2 million dollar fixer-upper in SF and my brother who also makes more than us and head of an IT dept (and 1.8 million dollar house plus another rental property) also love to visit us and come to shop at Walmart bc they don't have one in their area! So please don't think people who have a good income don't shop at WM- many of us are prudent with our finances. I am just showing examples of people I know with good incomes that shop at WM and not trying to brag. I have other relatives that make decent incomes, but they won't even shop at Target! However,when they ask where did I buy certain items that they are admiring, they are surprised it was from Target!

I could afford to move to Brentwood and have looked and bid on houses in the past( but they already had their first buyer), but I like down to earth people and I am surprised of the snobbery! Brentwood is a nice place, but don't make it ugly by your attitudes.
Nice Mom

Antioch, CA

#59 Feb 3, 2016
wtf wrote:
Antioch median income is not even comparable to what brentwood's is. We keep on attracting higher income people because we are building large executive homes for them. We have a thriving downtown and a thriving mall, While antioch just has poor poor and more poor people!!!
A few years ago Antioch actually had a higher median income than Brentwood, it was after the collapse of the housing market that brought the section 8 housing that trashed Antioch. Many left or foreclosed on their homes,but I refused to move and let them win and take over. Plus then I have to go into debt to buy a more expensive house in another area after paying this one off!?I mean how far do you have to move and keep moving as the riff raff moves too. They will be in Brentwood bc it is not that far away and we are already the outer part of the SF Bay Area. And bad guys are everywhere,even in million dollar neighborhoods.
dickie

Discovery Bay, CA

#60 May 10, 2016
Brentwood is slowly going downhill. It's unfortunate but pretty hard when people keep voting for people like obama.

Obama’s last act is to force suburbs to be less white and less wealthy - http://nypost.com/2016/05/08/obamas-last-act-...
Wake up America

Antioch, CA

#61 May 10, 2016
You can fight all you want. The middle class has been getting fazed out since the 70's. Most of our union jobs have been outsourced. Uninformed people have no clue those union jobs could provide them a better life. We will all be equal and poor someday. When that happens when no monies will be going to these welfare leeches pockets so they better start saving money now. Ignorant people want Walmarts, Dollars Stores and Fastfood. Enjoy it why you can. When us middle class and upper class get fazed out "you know the snobby ones that want a Wholefoods" your welfare checks will be cut because the hard workers supporting your low lifes will be broke like you. Ignorance is bliss. So go put some more rims on your broke down cars in the driveway, smoke another J, get those nails, weaves and snort your last lines of crank because it's just a matter of time you will be the homeless and we will atleast have our pride and dignity. God Bless the USA and good riddens to the low lifes. FYI, It's in all inclusive issue, all races are guilty. Being a low life isn't about color, it's about being a lazy dirtbag. Not intended for the people that really need aide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman Accused of ID Theft, Registering Fraudule... (May '08) Mon Kimmcd 29
Fraud Jul 23 Stan harris 1
Fair Housing in Contra Costa County (May '12) Jul 20 cprincesspaulita 3
News 4 suspects in Bay Area retail theft ring arrest... Jul 17 ACAB 1
Pittsburg High School Coaches Fired (Dec '14) Jul 8 Ed Q 4
News Pregnant East Bay woman shot in back during Eas... Jul 8 jmda 3
Pioneer Antoich Norteno Rapper Dies (Mar '07) Jul 1 Omar559 1,591

Pittsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance