Controversy over Oceano Dunes ATVs af...

Controversy over Oceano Dunes ATVs after accident

There are 6 comments on the www.ksby.com story from Sep 6, 2010, titled Controversy over Oceano Dunes ATVs after accident. In it, www.ksby.com reports that:

It's a Labor Day tradition for many: BBQ, ATV and R-and-R, but 16-year-old Tyler Schilhabel's accident at the Oceano Dunes raises the question: just how safe are ATV's there? The Oceano Dunes is the only state park where vehicles can go on the beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ksby.com.

Lori from Pismo

United States

#1 Sep 7, 2010
How many children (and adults) have to DIE in order to stop this life threatening,alcohol infested, environmental nightmare on the dunes??? Not to mention the terribly ill behaved crowds in Pismo and Grover Beach weekly. As a Pismo Beach resident, I wouldn't be caught ANYWHERE near downtown in either city on the weekend when the ATV crowd is in. It's disgusting...and now another young promising life is wrecked. Shame on these cities, their elected officials,the county and the state for not addressing this tragic problem area. Almighty dollar be darned...let's do the right thing and SAVE LIVES. Pismo and Grover have MANY other attributes that will keep tourism alive. Let's be known for something OTHER than death on the dunes!
slowalker

Oceano, CA

#2 Sep 7, 2010
nuisance. But the story of this heartbreaking tragedy got out.

http://www.ksby.com/news/controversy-over-oce...

We did a documentary on this subject, a year or so ago. We interviewed local medical staff who must give the bad news to victims and their families that they are paralyzed from activities at the Oceano Dunes.

See "Deadly Dunes and the Dollar" at http://vimeo.com/978788
slowalker

Oceano, CA

#3 Sep 7, 2010
OOps, here is my complete comment.

State Parks does not report accidents or crimes in the Oceano Dunes, so it continues operating as an attractive nuisance. But the story of this heartbreaking tragedy got out.

http://www.ksby.com/news/controversy-over-oce...

We did a documentary on this subject, a year or so ago. We interviewed local medical staff who must give the bad news to victims and their families that they are paralyzed from activities at the Oceano Dunes.

See "Deadly Dunes and the Dollar" at http://vimeo.com/978788

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/09/06/2068349/i...
grover girl

Nipomo, CA

#4 Sep 15, 2010
I agree with Lori from Pismo. Not only are human lives at stake, but the life of the cities themselves. The rough crowd attracted by the OHV is not the type of tourism we need here. Looking at other beach towns along the coast, it's obvious the OHV blights our towns, making them desirable only to a certain minority that behave as lawlessness is something admirable. Then they spend our tax money attempting to make it appear that this is the All-American Way, and great family fun. Their kids grow up with a false sense of entitlement, that they should have the right to thrash our coast in the name of having fun, regardless of the damage it causes the rest of us. Yet if this was their backyard, they'd be up in arms, crying foul. Total NIMBYs!
Lol

San Luis Obispo, CA

#5 Jun 14, 2014
grover girl wrote:
I agree with Lori from Pismo. Not only are human lives at stake, but the life of the cities themselves. The rough crowd attracted by the OHV is not the type of tourism we need here. Looking at other beach towns along the coast, it's obvious the OHV blights our towns, making them desirable only to a certain minority that behave as lawlessness is something admirable. Then they spend our tax money attempting to make it appear that this is the All-American Way, and great family fun. Their kids grow up with a false sense of entitlement, that they should have the right to thrash our coast in the name of having fun, regardless of the damage it causes the rest of us. Yet if this was their backyard, they'd be up in arms, crying foul. Total NIMBYs!
no I'd be happy if it was in my back yard actually wouldn't have to drive so far
Paul

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jun 24, 2014
Lol wrote:
<quoted text> no I'd be happy if it was in my back yard actually wouldn't have to drive so far
I would circle of the trailers in your backyard. as long as you are closer to covina Then pismo. I just got back from Pismo took my samurai up there for fathersday I had a great time. while we were there A rider Road of the back of the dune and got airlifted to the hospital. The craziest thing was he had gear on and all kinds of saftey stuff that you have to put on yourself. I feal like someone forced this person to put on all that gear to start the bike and open it up out on the dunes. Maybe we should focus on finding the mystery person that forces all these people to do things they dont want to do and bring the blame to him. BRING HIM TO JUSTICE I SAY!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pismo Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
katcho out 2 hr Dana 2
IF YOU SEE "Something" SAY SOMETHIGN NOT IN SLO 13 hr SERPICO 1
News Military units find large marijuana grow Jun 22 Operation Green s... 2
News Oakland slaying suspect shoots himself in Santa... Jun 10 OMF 1
SNITCHING GAME Paid CI's New Times Headlines News Jun 8 SLONET 3
Grand Jury Members caught Drunk and talking Jun 5 Ben L 2
Public Corruption Investigation in San Luis Obi... Jun 5 Candice Kelper 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pismo Beach Mortgages