Historic town where Hollywood Westerns filmed saved from wildfire

Full story: Canoe

A wildfire in the California desert grew quickly Tuesday, threatening towns and prompting evacuations but apparently sparing an historic site where dozens of Hollywood Westerns were filmed.
Comments
1 - 20 of 70 Comments Last updated Jul 17, 2006
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Siobhan

Palm Desert, CA

#1 Jul 11, 2006
I live in 29 Palms, and what I can see is nothing but a wall of black smoke filling the west horizon. I can even see a dim orange glow through the smoke as the sun sets. The sight gave me the chills despite the heat of the desert evening. Only this afternoon, when we went to a picnic, it seemed like only a dark stormcloud not an eerie black being threatening to swallow all that lay in it's path. Just in case it's unable to be controlled, we've packed an emergency bag and have extra water on hand should we be forced to leave our home behind. My heart goes out to those who have suffered losses due to this fire and I hope that nothing further is destroyed.
Lisa

United States

#2 Jul 12, 2006
I live in Landers and I can see the fire barely over the mountains...i drove to 247 to see how close the fire was to me and you can see that the fires (yes fires...like four fires merging together) are heading straight towards OWS 247 and the wind is blowing it fast...i sat on the side of the road at 247 and skyline rd and watched the fire for about 15 minutes and the fire is moving fast towards 247 and shows no signs of containment what so ever.
carol

Placentia, CA

#3 Jul 12, 2006
I am said to hear that there has been so much burned but i am happy to hear that pioneertown was spared...i hope that rimrock faired ok also. my husband and i were married at rimrock and had our pre-wedding dinner at pappy and harriet's...we are also frequent visitors. we have many specail memories in yucca valley.

I do hope the fire is contained soon...
Dave

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jul 12, 2006
Lisa wrote:
I live in Landers and I can see the fire barely over the mountains...i drove to 247 to see how close the fire was to me and you can see that the fires (yes fires...like four fires merging together) are heading straight towards OWS 247 and the wind is blowing it fast...i sat on the side of the road at 247 and skyline rd and watched the fire for about 15 minutes and the fire is moving fast towards 247 and shows no signs of containment what so ever.
I assume most of it is burning up the Little Bighorn Mountain recreation lands? and is heading towards "homesteads" which are located towards Reche or Napa rd?
Are the winds blowing towards you or blowing more towards Lucerne /Apple Valley? I actually have an acquaintence that is off of Napa rd... wonder if that area has been evacuated. With its close proximity to Pioneertown, I would guess that he has evacuated.
Keep me posted. Hope you don't have to evacuate yourself.
Joel Rane

United States

#6 Jul 12, 2006
Greetings...
Anyone know if Pappy & Harriet's survived the fire?
Dave- Evacuations

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jul 12, 2006
K: If you are still around can you tell me if the homes around Reche Road and north off 247 are in any danger?
I have a place off 247 and New Dixie Mine and I am wondering if I should drive out there.
:K
one report quotes: "CDF Capt. Debbie Chapman said about 200 homes were threatened. About 2,500 firefighters aided by 13 helicopters and eight air tankers were working the blaze, which prompted mandatory evacuations of Pioneertown, Rimrock, Gamma Gulch, Pipes Canyon, Flamingo Heights and Bowden Flats."
Flamingo Heights is where Napa is, and Reche is just a stones throw from there.
Kevin, it looks like your house is in the evacuation area.
christine Gallagher

West Hollywood, CA

#8 Jul 12, 2006
How can you find out if Rimrock Ranch or Pappy and Harriets' survived at this point?
Is there some information site available?
Shari

Downey, CA

#9 Jul 12, 2006
Yes, Pappy & Harriet' survived. I don't know about Rimrock Ranch
christine Gallagher wrote:
How can you find out if Rimrock Ranch or Pappy and Harriets' survived at this point?
Shari

Downey, CA

#10 Jul 12, 2006
I live in Yucca Valley, not Whittier, CA.
Shari

Downey, CA

#11 Jul 12, 2006
Go to thedesertsun.com they have a pretty good updated info system going on.
georgia

AOL

#12 Jul 12, 2006
christine Gallagher wrote:
PAppys is ok, im not sure about rimrock ranch
shebaby

New York, NY

#13 Jul 12, 2006
Shari wrote:
Go to thedesertsun.com they have a pretty good updated info system going on.
Shari-
Any idea of how close fire is to Johnson Valley??(NW of Flamingo Heights)
anonomous

Palm Desert, CA

#14 Jul 12, 2006
Joel Rane wrote:
Greetings...
I'm sorry but i heard it didn't survive. Not sure though.
l towers

Tehachapi, CA

#15 Jul 12, 2006
Joel Rane wrote:
Greetings...
Pappy and Harriets survived the fire
Carol in LA

United States

#16 Jul 12, 2006
I emailed Pappy and Harriets because I couldn't get through on the phone lines.
Here's the email response I got:

club is still there as of now..
keep your fingers crossed..
thanks so much for your concern..it means a lot
robyn
www.pappyandharriets.com
Toby

Sacramento, CA

#17 Jul 12, 2006
Joel Rane wrote:
Greetings...
I'm getting conflicting reports about Pioneertown and Pappy And Harriets. Does anyone have accurate info yet?
roxanne

Afton, WY

#18 Jul 12, 2006
So sorry to hear of about all the devestation. Does anyone know if the fire is up by Hondo Road back in the wilderness there east of hwy 247? I also want to know if anyone knows about fire in Bowden Flats? My dad has a small cabin there and we have land up off of Road Runner Rut by Hondo.
Lisa wrote:
Donna

AOL

#19 Jul 12, 2006
I used to go to Pioneertown as ateen with my best friend, Chris, amd her family. Also lived in Yucca Valley ten years ago. This place is a diamond in the rough, times long since gone--preserved. It breaks my heart to see such destruction. God bless the full time residents, please rebuild. There is no place like Pioneertown, and its residents.
desertwanderer

Las Vegas, NV

#20 Jul 12, 2006
I have both telephoned Pappy's and emailed them. As far as I know they are all right for now.
kylie

United States

#21 Jul 12, 2006
does anyone know about yucca valley? what is the extent of the damage. i live in nebraska and i can't get ahold of anyof my friends in yucca!!! any help is greatly appreciated!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pioneertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 35 min Go aways 5,004
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr lazy posts 200,590
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 6 hr lazy posts 15,963
Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) 19 hr AHM LOS BGS 4,791
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
Trashy Sugarloaf (Jul '08) Aug 26 Green power ranger 29
Debate: Immigration - Sugarloaf, CA (May '10) Aug 26 Arizona called to bl 5
•••

Pioneertown News Video

•••
•••

Pioneertown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••