Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,541
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#71421 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
Notice that when confronted with his BS, he never replies.
But also seems to show no shame about it.
He just goes on babbling about the dead and other such.
Not unlike a sociopath.
he does reply - by posting a third person monologue on a subject.

Thats why I just threw him a bone (pun intended)

At least he keeps coming back for more. Krishnas bless him. MUQ, OTOH, who posts equally silly stuff, limits his reply to a single reply per day, as if that somehow makes things less abstruse.

Location hidden

#71422 Apr 11, 2014
I have a huge pile of reference books and texts and handwritten/computerized notes that were part of my life during days spent in reform school and before that at while committed at the institution. I may gift the books and notes to a needy and deserving student.

Location hidden

#71423 Apr 11, 2014
Well, my mind frequently goes back to family and to those halcyon days of youth when I was the first to show my cousin Shirley my pee pee. Now, nothing remains except for painful memories often tinged with regret.

Location hidden

#71424 Apr 11, 2014
My childhood pet was a humanities pooch and had great style and verve.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71425 Apr 11, 2014
Between 1979 and 2010, the rate of newborn circumcision among males declined from 64.5 percent to 58.3 percent, the report found.

The rate was highest in 1981, at 64.9 percent, then declined during the 1980s, rose again in the 90s, and fell again in the 2000s, reaching a low of 55.4 percent in 2007, the report said.

In 1989, the American Academy of Pediatrics said that there were potential benefits to circumcision, but in 1999, the organization said there was insufficient evidence to recommend the procedure.

Last year, the AAP said the health benefits of circumcision outweighed the procedure's risks, but the organization still did not recommend the procedure, saying that the decision to circumcise should be left up to the parents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/circ...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71426 Apr 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the risks include the circumciser screwing up...or the baby moving at an inopportune time....
Mutilation is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of parents force their little ones to get their ear's pierced, yet no one complains....
The benefit in the US is cultural. For some groups, obviously.
Not a big controversy in the US, though it does erupt from time to time. But it is a huge issue in Europe, where the intactivist ideology, along with anti-kosher slaughter is a smoke screen for antisemitism (and anti-muslim).
Actually it's kind of a big thing for some folks and nothing to do with religion in the anti-movement that I've ever heard of. I have two nieces, both young mothers of boys who are big time against it. And I agree with them. Cutting off a piece of one's child for no good reason isn't right.(Note I'm not talking about religious folks - they do a lot of things I wouldn't do - play with snakes etc,,)

The fact that a report says benefits out weighs risks is a no-brainer. A real duhh actually.
The risks are largely non existent. I've seen it done in the clinical setting it looks fairly idiot-proof. You have lay people doing it your own religion.(And you can always site aids reduction in Africa etc...)
I wouldn't pierce my child either but neither would I compare a pin prick in an earlobe with removing a piece of their body that was put there for a good and real purpose.

What's anti kosher slaughter? I know kosher slaughter has to be done a certain way.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71427 Apr 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
I have a huge pile of reference books and texts and handwritten/computerized notes that were part of my life during days spent in reform school and before that at while committed at the institution. I may gift the books and notes to a needy and deserving student.
I may donate my important papers to the National Archives, along with my old shopping and To-do lists.

This all depends on whether I'm still alive in the morning.

That's all I can say about that right now.

Something or someone is inside my head.

I must go and rest now. Good-bye.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71428 Apr 11, 2014
For Jews, circumcision is mandatory, as it is prescribed in the Torah:

In the Book of Genesis as a mark of the Covenant between God and the descendants of Abraham: "Throughout all generations, every male shall be circumcised when he is eight days old...This shall be my covenant in your flesh, an eternal covenant. The uncircumcised male whose foreskin has not been circumcised, shall have his soul cut off from his people; he has broken my Covenant"[3]

In Leviticus: "God spoke to Moses, telling him to speak to the Israelites: When a woman conceives and gives birth to a boy ... on the eighth day, the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised."[4]

Location hidden

#71429 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's kind of a big thing for some folks and nothing to do with religion in the anti-movement that I've ever heard of. I have two nieces, both young mothers of boys who are big time against it. And I agree with them. Cutting off a piece of one's child for no good reason isn't right.(Note I'm not talking about religious folks - they do a lot of things I wouldn't do - play with snakes etc,,)
The fact that a report says benefits out weighs risks is a no-brainer. A real duhh actually.
The risks are largely non existent. I've seen it done in the clinical setting it looks fairly idiot-proof. You have lay people doing it your own religion.(And you can always site aids reduction in Africa etc...)
I wouldn't pierce my child either but neither would I compare a pin prick in an earlobe with removing a piece of their body that was put there for a good and real purpose.
What's anti kosher slaughter? I know kosher slaughter has to be done a certain way.
In the US, there are well intentioned people who advocate against circumcision. In Europe the intent isnt that pure.

Anti-kosher slaughter: You have heard the blather from Apu about how kosher slaughter supposedly isnt humane. Jews sincerely believe it is humane, or course, since we also have prohibitions against cruelty against animals. In Europe there is a large movement against Kosher type slaughtering,(they favor stunning rather than slicing the jugular) but really it is a movement against Muslims, who do a similar type of slaughter, and Jews are caught, perhaps inadvertently, in the same net.

Personally, I think an ear pierce is an abomination. Its all a matter of perspective. Which is why the argument of mutilation is so hollow, IMO. If there was a medical reason against, then that would be a different story. But there is not, apparently.

Location hidden

#71430 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
Between 1979 and 2010, the rate of newborn circumcision among males declined from 64.5 percent to 58.3 percent, the report found.
The rate was highest in 1981, at 64.9 percent, then declined during the 1980s, rose again in the 90s, and fell again in the 2000s, reaching a low of 55.4 percent in 2007, the report said.
In 1989, the American Academy of Pediatrics said that there were potential benefits to circumcision, but in 1999, the organization said there was insufficient evidence to recommend the procedure.
Last year, the AAP said the health benefits of circumcision outweighed the procedure's risks, but the organization still did not recommend the procedure, saying that the decision to circumcise should be left up to the parents.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/circ...
I have no idea why non-Jews bother to circumcise. We do it for religious reasons, of course, not for the alleged health benefits.

Reminds me of the people who advocate eating organic fruit because it is more nutritious (sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt). I eat organic (when I can) because I know the production is more earth friendly, and the nutritional benefit is a side effect. But people get hung up on the unintended parameters.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#71431 Apr 11, 2014
The biggest objection to circumcision is that it intentionally destroys thousands of sensitive nerve endings thereby giving a jolt to the nervous system and the brain centers. I wonder what the effects of such a mutilatory act could be on the circumcised person's brain centers and the indwelling consciousness.

Location hidden

#71432 Apr 11, 2014
Circumcision, animal offering, human sacrifice and cannibalism are ugly relics of a barbaric past that were devised by diabolical sorcerers.

Location hidden

#71433 Apr 11, 2014
With the exception of Vedanta and Buddhism, the other religions like Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism and the mystery cults of Babylon represent the uncivilized faces of a savage humanity.

Location hidden

#71434 Apr 11, 2014
There's not a single truly spiritual teaching in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism and the mystery cults of Babylon

Location hidden

#71435 Apr 11, 2014
Religion is realization. Any teaching that falls short of realization is flawed. By realization is meant self-realization by which the lower self merges with the power, light, peace, knowledge and bliss of the higher self. Self realization is the first decisive step on the path to the highest realization which is the union in consciousness and force of the individualized higher self with the absolute.

Location hidden

#71436 Apr 11, 2014
Neither belief nor ritual nor science can lead to self-realization.

Location hidden

#71437 Apr 11, 2014
Self-realization is the supreme aim of human life by which every unknown becomes known and due to which perfection of the unregenerate aspects of being is achieved.

Location hidden

#71438 Apr 11, 2014
While a scientist inferentially studies say the phenomenon of gravitation which to the yogi is merely an effect of deeper causes at work in matter, the yogi busies himself with identifying his consciousness-force field with the whole of cosmic existence and thereby gains a direct perception of the objects of investigation, acquires the ability to manipulate them at will and becomes perfect by at last uniting in consciousness-force with the supracosmic source from which everything has arisen by an act of self-manifestation.

Location hidden

#71439 Apr 11, 2014
BUDDHA, AUROBINDO, NIRVANA & THE SUPRAMENTAL YOGA

Buddha was a vast improvement in intellect, yogic realization and morals over the barbaric prophets of Tanach, NT, Quran but he too stopped short of Nirvana and preached as a last resort escapism as the way to liberation.

In modern times, Sri Aurobindo, with his Jewish spiritual collaborator, the Mother, pioneered what is known as the supramental yoga which is a union in consciousness-force of the individual's self with those ranges of consciousness-force that far exceed the highest intuitional degree of the mental range of consciousness. Besides, he advocated a perfection of being by bringing about through an act of will the dynamic descent of the supramental consciousness into the planes of the mind, vital, physical and subconscious as a way of perfecting these instrumental parts of being by drawing them out of their repetitive habits centered around unregenerate tendencies that finally result in disease and death. Aurobindo was successful in attaining to the supramental state of consciousness but fell short of supramentalizing his being and as such had to leave his body in an act of willed-death.

Location hidden

#71440 Apr 11, 2014
Higher than even the planes of the supramental consciousness are the rarefied planes of the bliss consciousness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument may rais... Jan 26 msgtdon 1
Town council approves restoration of the Silco ... Jan 23 Tony Betterton 2
Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Jan 23 Maybe 2
Silver City police search landfill for missing ... (Jun '11) Jan 23 citizencares 22
Your View: Letters to the editor (April 5) (Apr '11) Jan 13 Adl 5
Silver City-Grant County TEA Party Patriots hos... (Apr '14) Jan 7 WherdaPhuckawee 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Jan 5 curli 7

Winter Storm Warning for Grant County was issued at January 29 at 4:38AM MST

Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 am PST

NBC Sports 3:16AM
Report: Broncos reach out to Wade Phillips with defensive coordinator needed
NBC Sports 4:09 AM
Bears add two more assistants
Bleacher Report 6:03 AM
Is Balance of Power Shifting in AFC West?
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 7:42 AM
Kubiak the Right Coach, with or Without Peyton