Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#71412 Apr 11, 2014
MY DAD AND MATH

My late Dad who had university degrees in Math and Law was some kind of a genius in Math and was extremely quick in getting to the root of tricky Math theorems/questions. He was a top scorer in Math all throughout his academic career and would often score 100 % marks in Math in exams. He would encourage me at times to enter deep into the study of Math and taught me some useful fundamentals. I have inherited his great aptitude for anything to do with Math.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71413 Apr 11, 2014
My late sister, too,had a fantastic aptitude for Math but showed no interest in appearing for the IIT Joint Entrance Exam. She was a top scorer in high school at Cathedral and was later admitted to Cornell in Ithaca where she studied Biochemistry in grad school. We would at times visit her in university and she too would come home during breaks. Often, she would tell our parents and me that she found the standard of the course work quite easy and most of the students just average. She is now dead and her husband and their son at present live in Tel Aviv after leaving Vancouver, Canada, after her tragic demise in a car crash that she was deriving when dead drunk. She was facing problems with Aaron and turned to booze and crashed her car when she was drunk after one such fight with him. Sad.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71414 Apr 11, 2014
My late mother was a humanities person and had great style.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71415 Apr 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you profess to be of Jewish ancestry you need to know about such things:
http://www.jta.org/2014/04/10/news-opinion/un...
A new survey of medical data going back more than two decades has found that the health benefits of circumcision far outweigh the risks. The publication of the article on April 4 by the medical journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings is the latest development to tip the scales in favor of circumcision in the long-running scientific, cultural and political struggles over the practice.
Some say this series of blows has damaged the efforts of American anti-circumcision activists.
What risks?

I wouldn't do it if I had kids and wish it hadn't been done to me but I don't blame anyone. It was the norm at the time.

It's an unnecessary mutilation. If good hygiene is taught, it's no real benefit.

You have a sensitive area that our creator intended to be covered and protected,

I say, leave it that way.

But clean it out regularly. I'm all for smegma control.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71416 Apr 11, 2014
Notice that when confronted with his BS, he never replies.

But also seems to show no shame about it.

He just goes on babbling about the dead and other such.

Not unlike a sociopath.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71417 Apr 11, 2014
Well, my mind frequently goes back to family and to those halcyon days of youth. Now, nothing remains except for painful memories often tinged with regret.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71418 Apr 11, 2014
This reminds me that I need to clear out my text books that I used at IIT and earlier during high school days. They're still piled up in a huge chest in one of the bedrooms. Maybe, I'll retain some books for memories' sake.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71419 Apr 11, 2014
I have a huge pile of reference books and texts and handwritten/computerized notes that were part of my life during days spent at IIT and before that at Cathedral School. I may gift the books and notes to a needy and deserving student.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#71420 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
What risks?
I wouldn't do it if I had kids and wish it hadn't been done to me but I don't blame anyone. It was the norm at the time.
It's an unnecessary mutilation. If good hygiene is taught, it's no real benefit.
You have a sensitive area that our creator intended to be covered and protected,
I say, leave it that way.
But clean it out regularly. I'm all for smegma control.
I guess the risks include the circumciser screwing up...or the baby moving at an inopportune time....

Mutilation is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of parents force their little ones to get their ear's pierced, yet no one complains....

The benefit in the US is cultural. For some groups, obviously.

Not a big controversy in the US, though it does erupt from time to time. But it is a huge issue in Europe, where the intactivist ideology, along with anti-kosher slaughter is a smoke screen for antisemitism (and anti-muslim).

Location hidden

#71421 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
Notice that when confronted with his BS, he never replies.
But also seems to show no shame about it.
He just goes on babbling about the dead and other such.
Not unlike a sociopath.
he does reply - by posting a third person monologue on a subject.

Thats why I just threw him a bone (pun intended)

At least he keeps coming back for more. Krishnas bless him. MUQ, OTOH, who posts equally silly stuff, limits his reply to a single reply per day, as if that somehow makes things less abstruse.

Location hidden

#71422 Apr 11, 2014
I have a huge pile of reference books and texts and handwritten/computerized notes that were part of my life during days spent in reform school and before that at while committed at the institution. I may gift the books and notes to a needy and deserving student.

Location hidden

#71423 Apr 11, 2014
Well, my mind frequently goes back to family and to those halcyon days of youth when I was the first to show my cousin Shirley my pee pee. Now, nothing remains except for painful memories often tinged with regret.

Location hidden

#71424 Apr 11, 2014
My childhood pet was a humanities pooch and had great style and verve.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71425 Apr 11, 2014
Between 1979 and 2010, the rate of newborn circumcision among males declined from 64.5 percent to 58.3 percent, the report found.

The rate was highest in 1981, at 64.9 percent, then declined during the 1980s, rose again in the 90s, and fell again in the 2000s, reaching a low of 55.4 percent in 2007, the report said.

In 1989, the American Academy of Pediatrics said that there were potential benefits to circumcision, but in 1999, the organization said there was insufficient evidence to recommend the procedure.

Last year, the AAP said the health benefits of circumcision outweighed the procedure's risks, but the organization still did not recommend the procedure, saying that the decision to circumcise should be left up to the parents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/circ...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71426 Apr 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the risks include the circumciser screwing up...or the baby moving at an inopportune time....
Mutilation is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of parents force their little ones to get their ear's pierced, yet no one complains....
The benefit in the US is cultural. For some groups, obviously.
Not a big controversy in the US, though it does erupt from time to time. But it is a huge issue in Europe, where the intactivist ideology, along with anti-kosher slaughter is a smoke screen for antisemitism (and anti-muslim).
Actually it's kind of a big thing for some folks and nothing to do with religion in the anti-movement that I've ever heard of. I have two nieces, both young mothers of boys who are big time against it. And I agree with them. Cutting off a piece of one's child for no good reason isn't right.(Note I'm not talking about religious folks - they do a lot of things I wouldn't do - play with snakes etc,,)

The fact that a report says benefits out weighs risks is a no-brainer. A real duhh actually.
The risks are largely non existent. I've seen it done in the clinical setting it looks fairly idiot-proof. You have lay people doing it your own religion.(And you can always site aids reduction in Africa etc...)
I wouldn't pierce my child either but neither would I compare a pin prick in an earlobe with removing a piece of their body that was put there for a good and real purpose.

What's anti kosher slaughter? I know kosher slaughter has to be done a certain way.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71427 Apr 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
I have a huge pile of reference books and texts and handwritten/computerized notes that were part of my life during days spent in reform school and before that at while committed at the institution. I may gift the books and notes to a needy and deserving student.
I may donate my important papers to the National Archives, along with my old shopping and To-do lists.

This all depends on whether I'm still alive in the morning.

That's all I can say about that right now.

Something or someone is inside my head.

I must go and rest now. Good-bye.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71428 Apr 11, 2014
For Jews, circumcision is mandatory, as it is prescribed in the Torah:

In the Book of Genesis as a mark of the Covenant between God and the descendants of Abraham: "Throughout all generations, every male shall be circumcised when he is eight days old...This shall be my covenant in your flesh, an eternal covenant. The uncircumcised male whose foreskin has not been circumcised, shall have his soul cut off from his people; he has broken my Covenant"[3]

In Leviticus: "God spoke to Moses, telling him to speak to the Israelites: When a woman conceives and gives birth to a boy ... on the eighth day, the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised."[4]

Location hidden

#71429 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's kind of a big thing for some folks and nothing to do with religion in the anti-movement that I've ever heard of. I have two nieces, both young mothers of boys who are big time against it. And I agree with them. Cutting off a piece of one's child for no good reason isn't right.(Note I'm not talking about religious folks - they do a lot of things I wouldn't do - play with snakes etc,,)
The fact that a report says benefits out weighs risks is a no-brainer. A real duhh actually.
The risks are largely non existent. I've seen it done in the clinical setting it looks fairly idiot-proof. You have lay people doing it your own religion.(And you can always site aids reduction in Africa etc...)
I wouldn't pierce my child either but neither would I compare a pin prick in an earlobe with removing a piece of their body that was put there for a good and real purpose.
What's anti kosher slaughter? I know kosher slaughter has to be done a certain way.
In the US, there are well intentioned people who advocate against circumcision. In Europe the intent isnt that pure.

Anti-kosher slaughter: You have heard the blather from Apu about how kosher slaughter supposedly isnt humane. Jews sincerely believe it is humane, or course, since we also have prohibitions against cruelty against animals. In Europe there is a large movement against Kosher type slaughtering,(they favor stunning rather than slicing the jugular) but really it is a movement against Muslims, who do a similar type of slaughter, and Jews are caught, perhaps inadvertently, in the same net.

Personally, I think an ear pierce is an abomination. Its all a matter of perspective. Which is why the argument of mutilation is so hollow, IMO. If there was a medical reason against, then that would be a different story. But there is not, apparently.

Location hidden

#71430 Apr 11, 2014
former res wrote:
Between 1979 and 2010, the rate of newborn circumcision among males declined from 64.5 percent to 58.3 percent, the report found.
The rate was highest in 1981, at 64.9 percent, then declined during the 1980s, rose again in the 90s, and fell again in the 2000s, reaching a low of 55.4 percent in 2007, the report said.
In 1989, the American Academy of Pediatrics said that there were potential benefits to circumcision, but in 1999, the organization said there was insufficient evidence to recommend the procedure.
Last year, the AAP said the health benefits of circumcision outweighed the procedure's risks, but the organization still did not recommend the procedure, saying that the decision to circumcise should be left up to the parents.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/circ...
I have no idea why non-Jews bother to circumcise. We do it for religious reasons, of course, not for the alleged health benefits.

Reminds me of the people who advocate eating organic fruit because it is more nutritious (sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt). I eat organic (when I can) because I know the production is more earth friendly, and the nutritional benefit is a side effect. But people get hung up on the unintended parameters.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71431 Apr 11, 2014
The biggest objection to circumcision is that it intentionally destroys thousands of sensitive nerve endings thereby giving a jolt to the nervous system and the brain centers. I wonder what the effects of such a mutilatory act could be on the circumcised person's brain centers and the indwelling consciousness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul 9 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul 5 mrtnz1955 2
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Jun 29 Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun '16 Tony 625
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun '16 Tiger37 1
News Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
News Tour of the Gila benefits everyone not just cyc... (May '12) May '12 Old Man 1

Pinos Altos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pinos Altos Mortgages