Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,397
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70958 Apr 7, 2014
"He is born in vain, who, having attained the human birth, so difficult to get, does not attempt to realize the Supreme Self in this very life."

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramhans

(Guru of Swami Vivekananda)

Location hidden

#70959 Apr 7, 2014
UNIFICATION OF MIND-MATTER:

"Quantum theory thus reveals a basic oneness of the universe. It shows that we cannot decompose the world into independently existing smallest units. As we penetrate into matter, nature does not show us any isolated "building blocks," but rather appears as a complicated web of relations between the various parts of the whole. These relations always include the observer in an essential way. The human observer constitute the final link in the chain of observational processes, and the properties of any atomic object can be understood only in terms of the object's interaction with the observer.”

― Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Location hidden

#70960 Apr 7, 2014
EXISTENCE-NON EXISTENCE

“Subatomic particles do not exist but rather show 'tendencies to exist', and atomic events do not occur with certainty at definite times and in definite ways, but rather show 'tendencies to occur'.”

- Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Location hidden

#70961 Apr 7, 2014
CARTESIAN WORLD

“A person functioning exclusively in the Cartesian mode may be free from manifest symptoms but cannot be considered mentally healthy. Such individuals typically lead ego-centred, competitive, goal-oriented lives. Overpreoccupied with their past and their future, they tend to have a limited awarenessof the present and thus a limited ability to derive satisfaction from ordinary activities in everyday life. They concentrate on manipulating the external world and measure their living standard by the quantity of material possessions, while they become ever more alienated from their inner world and unable to appreciate the process of life. For people whose existence is dominated by this mode of experience no level of wealth, power, or fame will bring genuine satisfaction”

- Fritjof Capra

Location hidden

#70962 Apr 7, 2014
GENUINE MENTAL HEALTH

“Genuine mental health would involve a balanced interplay of both modes of experience, a way of life in which one's identification with the Ego is playful and tentative rather than absolute and mandatory, while the concern with material possessions is pragmatic rather than obsessive.”

- Fritjof Capra, The Turning Point: Science, Society, and the Rising Culture

Location hidden

#70963 Apr 7, 2014
STATO-DYNAMISM

"In Indian philosophy, the main terms used by Vedantists and Buddhists have dynamic connotations. The word Brahman is derived from the Sanskrit root brih - to grow - and thus suggests a reality which is dynamic and alive. The Upanishads refer to Brahman as ‘this unformed, immortal, moving’, thus associating it with motion even though it transcends all forms.’ The Rig Veda uses another term to express the dynamic character of the universe, the term Rita. This word comes from the root ri - to move. In its phenomenal aspect, the cosmic One is thus intrinsically dynamic, and the apprehension of its dynamic nature is basic to all schools of Eastern mysticism.
They all emphasize that the universe has to be grasped dynamically, as it moves, vibrates and dances."

-(Fritjof Capra, 1975)

Location hidden

#70964 Apr 7, 2014
SYSTEMS VIEW & EASTERN MYSTICISM

"The Eastern mystics see the universe as an inseparable web, whose interconnections are dynamic and not static. The cosmic web is alive; it moves and grows and changes continually. Modern physics, too, has come to conceive of the universe as such a web of relations and, like Eastern mysticism, has recognized that this web is intrinsically dynamic. The dynamic aspect of matter arises in quantum theory as a consequence of the wave-nature of subatomic particles, and is even more essential in relativity theory, where the unification of space and time implies that the being of matter cannot be separated from its activity. The properties of subatomic particles can therefore only be understood in a dynamic context; in terms of movement, interaction and transformation."

-(Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics)

Location hidden

#70965 Apr 7, 2014
ECO-AWARENESS, ONENESS & YOGA:

"Deep Ecology is rooted in a perception of reality that goes beyond the scientific framework to an intuitive awareness of the oneness of all life, the interdependence of its multiple manifestations and its cycles of change and transformation. When the concept of the human spirit is understood in this sense, its mode of consciousness in which the individual feels connected to the cosmos as a whole, it becomes clear that ecological awareness is truly spiritual. Indeed the idea of the individual being linked to the cosmos is expressed in the Latin root of the word religion, religare (to bind strongly), as well as the Sanskrit yoga, which means union."

- Fritjof Capra, Turning Point, 1982

Location hidden

#70966 Apr 7, 2014
ABSOLUTE & ITS MANIFESTATION

"The central aim of Eastern mysticism is to experience all the phenomena in the world as manifestations of the same ultimate reality. This reality is seen as the essence of the universe, underlying and unifying the multitude of things and events we observe. The Hindus call it Brahman, The Buddhists Dharmakaya (The Body of Being) or Tathata (Suchness) and the Taoists Tao; each affirming that it transcends our intellectual concepts and defies further explanation. This ultimate essence, however, cannot be separated from its multiple manifestations. It is central to the very nature to manifest itself in myriad forms which come into being and disintegrate, transforming themselves into one another without end."

- Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics, p210

Location hidden

#70967 Apr 7, 2014
DUALISM - A FALSEHOOD

"In ordinary life, we are not aware of the unity of all things, but divide the world into separate objects and events. This division is useful and necessary to cope with our everyday environment, but it is not a fundamental feature of reality. It is an abstraction devised by our discriminating and categorising intellect. To believe that our abstract concepts of separate ‘things’ and ‘events’ are realities of nature is an illusion."

- Capra, The Tao of Physics, 1975

Location hidden

#70968 Apr 7, 2014
WAVE-PARTICLE DUALITY EXPLAINED?

Dr Milo Wolff explains the obvious fact that spherical waves necessarily form a 'particle' effect at their wave-center, thus solving the decades old paradox of the particle-wave duality of matter.

He says: The 'particle' is two identical spherical waves travelling radially in opposite directions so that together they form a spherical standing wave. The wave which travels inward towards the center is called an In-Wave, and the wave travelling outward is an out-wave. The nominal location of the ‘particle’ is the wave-center, but as must be true for any charged particle, it has presence everywhere in space because the charge forces extend throughout the universe.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70969 Apr 7, 2014
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
A book from 1824 lamenting the at most small increase in believers since the ages of it's hardpressed inception. In absolute numbers close to zilch so to say.
Mind at least four episodes of plaque in the meantime.
But Mahomet considered as the competition.
I suppose people are more naief nowadays or go off on a tangent, as if a different church would remedy the issue.
Or you might say that diversity works it's wonders.
http://books.google.nl/books...
pg 235
best take the FrontPage and leaf to the content, press blue.
Or, more likely, find a different church that better matches with their value system (which is what Jews do with the Conservative movement vs orthodoxy), or create a new movement (i.e. new age movement), or become individual believers with support from the internet....

My point being is that the response to modernity is more sophisticated than is being posited here.

Location hidden

#70970 Apr 7, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, are you implying that scientific realists can't appreciate and discuss art?
And speaking of Cosmos, have you watched the latest incarnation with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Not bad, but definitely not Carl Sagan.
I am stating that a discussion about art from the scientific perspective is OBVIOUSLY different than a discussion from the perspective of art appreciation.

Cosmos - no, not having TV hampers me a bit, though I am still searching for a good way to wacth the original series as a start. I never saw it in the first place. I went to school at the same university as Sagan, by the way, met him a few fleeting times. According to latest Smithsonian (??) biography, he was a bit of a pot head...lol

Location hidden

#70971 Apr 7, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Art, literature and dance - yes
Pseudo-scientific, mystical double speak - no
Its the same, or similar, process of appreciation - involves expressions of subjectivity

Location hidden

#70972 Apr 7, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No disagreement here. I had the same complaint about the pew survey. And I do think spiritualism will rise as organized religion falls.
Ahh - some common points of possible agreement

Though I dont think organized religion will ever fail, judging from my own religion - it will just mutate into new institutions
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text> I just don't happen to see that as a good thing.
Fine, as long as we are all clear that is a statement of values.
Others might see this a good thing, as part of the social evolution of religious institutions

I doubt you know this, but what you see from the outside as "orthodox" Judaism is a relatively new institution, Before the 19th century, there were no labels. Judaism was Judaism, with variants, but all somewhat similar (the only real differences in Europe at that time was being Hasidic or nonhasidic - none of that having to do with orthodoxy).

Then, AS a response to European modernity (i.e. free choice), both Reform Judaism AND Orthodox Judaism emerged (as well as assimilation and Zionism) as responses to 19th century modernity. Conservative Judaism arose much later, mainly in the 20th century, as a direct response to Orthodox.

The point being, is that nothing is what it seems. Orthodox Judaism is not really traditional Judaism, any more so than any of the other brands. All organized religion is a response to the times, and its institutional ability to sustain is based upon its ability to evolve, or suffer the consequences.

The web actually encourages religion in many cases because it not only provides fellowship to the like minded, and the seamless exchange of religious information - both things that used to be only attainable by physical church/synagogue attendance.

Location hidden

#70974 Apr 7, 2014
LIMITATIONS OF MATHEMATICO-LOGICAL MODELS:

The physics-inspired term mathematico-logical derivation has been elevated to the level of "gospel truth" despite the fact that mathematico-logical models have their limitations as many are not grounded in reality.

Current mathematical theories about the origin and most fundamental nature of the cosmos are beyond observation, beyond verification and unsupported by any sort of objective analysis or subjective experience - quantum vacuum state, M theory, multiverse, anthropic principle, strings and superstrings are such examples that cannot be directly or indirectly confirmed despite them being purely physical models and not something as abstruse as mystical experience related to individual consciousness.

The conclusion that can be reached is that mathematics may be regarded as a tool and a technique that's useful in dealing with events in gross physical contexts that correspond to outer experience which lie within the domain of the ordinary aspects of mind in its inferential mode.

Location hidden

#70975 Apr 7, 2014
BOTTOM LINE

MATHEMATICS has inherent limitations and until one clearly knows what data or information is to be collected and how the relevant data or information is to be interpreted, it stands to reason that a mere application of a mathematical model (or the mere belief that a mathematical model is correct despite the absence of corroborative evidence of the physical event speculated about) can not lead to a fruitful prediction of natural events that lie beyond the event horizon of the mind.

If this analytical tool is stretched beyond its natural limits then we end up with paradoxes, contradictions, sophisms and fantasies with sheer egoism preventing its proponents from admitting that we can never hope to know the correct answers to the most fundamental nature of the universe or of life.

An example of such blind insistence that's backed by limited success in ordinary situations thereby giving rise to overconfidence is that complexity, order and life developed from simplicity (low degree of information) because it is seen that as atoms combine in fixed proportions to form molecules thus the cosmos too in all its variety leading back to its origin can be explained using reductionist mathematical models. What is overlooked in the process is that even atoms (or even particles subtler than atoms at the subatomic scale) display such fine tuning in their structure and function that no one knows how this precision came about and which no mathematical model based on probability factors, blind forces and chance can ever hope to explain.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70976 Apr 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Former,
How're you?
When're you taking that trip to exotic Istanbul?
How's your job going?
Hey there Joel. How's it hangin'?

I need to shine a lot more shoes before I can plan
any fancy vacations. People don't tip as well as they used to.

You can relate I'm sure :))

Location hidden

#70977 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I need to shine a lot more shoes before I can plan any fancy vacations.

People don't tip as well as they used to.

You can relate I'm sure :))
Hi there.

Oh, I'm sure that you'll manage to collect the sum of money soon and be off to Istanbul.

I missed chatting with you.

Take care.

Location hidden

#70978 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
))
Dont ask unless you really want to know

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Range Artist plan plein air show Thu I love the southwest 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Wed Insect Trust 30
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Sep 11 FEDUPw-dumb-mean-... 45
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Sep 7 Tony 608
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Sep 5 Yes 11
Mimbres Valley woman still missing Sep 5 Raquel Placencio 7
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
•••
•••
Pinos Altos Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pinos Altos Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE