Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,028
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70939 Apr 6, 2014
DEBUNKING MICHAEL SHERMER ON REBIRTH

MICHAEL SHERMER:: "a young boy alleged to be a reincarnated World War II fighter pilot. During the show segment on reincarnation, I asked Deepak if the little boy's body is now occupied by the soul of a World War II fighter pilot, where is the boy's soul?

JOEL: A huge logical error made by Michael Shermer.

If the boy claims he's a reincarnation of a WW 2 fighter pilot, Shermer's question - is the little boy's soul now occupied by the soul of the WW 2 fighter pilot?- is nonsense.

Why?

The dead fighter pilot and his reincarnation (the boy) are not 2 different entities but the same entity born in different time frames and in different places with the heredity being different in each case.

The psychic (soul) of the pilot lifted off at death some 60 to 70 years ago and vibrated in a consciousness-force dimension suited to the karmic causation it had generated during its earthly life as the pilot.

After exhausting much of its emotional and psychological karma in the discarnate state after death, the residual seeds of karma, forming distinct tendencies, sought reincarnation in a family whose characteristics were best suited to its own emotional/psychological propensities and so to further its evolution or to reap what still remained of his emotional/psychological instincts as imprints in his psychic, it (dead pilot's psychic) took birth as the little boy years later.

So, the same psychic (soul, organizing sentient principle) of the pilot has reincarnated as the young boy who appeared on the talk show recently.

Thus, the question posed by Shermer inquiring about the whereabouts of the boy's soul is sheer nonsense when it is clear that the pilot's disembodied psychic was reborn many years later as the boy.

Had the boy been alive during the lifetime of the pilot and then had he claimed (after the death of the pilot) that he is the reincarnation of the dead pilot his claim would be nonsense since the boy (had he lived during the lifetime of the pilot) had his own soul to begin with and so he would not be in a position to receive another soul from the dead pilot.

But, the fact is that the boy was born nearly 6 or 7 decades after the death of the pilot and so if his inner memories are correct then it's plausible that the pilot's discarnate psychic has been reincarnated as the boy who appeared on the show.

So, SHERMER has been exposed as a FOOL with poor reasoning skills.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#70940 Apr 6, 2014
DIMWIT DEEPAK CHOPRA ON RED COLOR

DEEPAK CHOPRA: "But if I ask you to imagine the color red or look at the color red, there's no red in your brain. There's just electrical firings."

JOEL: The color red has a specific wavelength (620740 nm ) that's part of the visible light region, VIBGYOR, of the EM spectrum.

The neurons in the visual center in the brain get activated when the sensory nerves in the eyes convey the waves of electrical signals of red light to the brain center where the processing takes place (as a collapsed wave function on encountering the detecting neural instrumentation of the specific brain center) by comparing the incoming pulse (corresponding to a specific wavelength) to existing cognates of the same color (assuming the person has been exposed to the wavelength of red color in the past).

The red color is processed in terms of its wavelength (or frequency of vibration).

If a cognate corresponding to the same wavelength is found imprinted in the neural memory as an electrical pulse, then the associated neurons fire in synchrony to indicate "recognition" of the electrical pattern (red color) and as a result the consciousness within the energy field of the brain takes note of the sensation and the qualia (or the sensing or the subjective perception) of the red color takes place with full attention and understanding and many past memories (with or without emotion) associated with red color may simultaneously arise in the consciousness of the person.

Location hidden

#70941 Apr 6, 2014
BIRTH-DEATH AS OPPOSITES

DEEPAK CHOPRA: "So the opposite of life is not death. The opposite of death is birth. And the opposite of birth is death. And life is the continuum of birth and death, which goes on and on."

JOEL: Chopra means that "energy is alive (conscious)", and, so, in keeping with the principle of conservation, energy is always conserved and can never be created or destroyed in isolated system whether in the unmanifest or in the manifest state in keeping with the cycles of the cosmos.

So, from this mystico-philosophical viewpoint, life (living energy) keeps getting recycled from one birth to the next in the manifest phase of the cosmos, until, via yogic methods, it attains to the universal degrees of freedom and rises out of the cycles of birth and life.

Since, life is imperishable - thus to think of death as an annihilation of life is illogical.

Whereas, birth is entry of life into a body and death is exit of life from the body into a disembodied state and as such in this sense birth and death are opposite movements of life.

Location hidden

#70942 Apr 6, 2014
I will be leaving for home in 15 or 20 minutes. I am seated in a nice standalone restaurant called Barbecue Nation. Later.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70943 Apr 6, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
I will be leaving for home in 15 or 20 minutes. I am seated in a nice standalone restaurant called Barbecue Nation. Later.
This post is more appropriate as a Facebook update.

No one here has "friended" you as far as I know.

Consider my indifference to this information to be profound.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70944 Apr 6, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
be a good place to post his gonadal status as well.

Location hidden

#70945 Apr 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
All this round and round, and talk about mysticism and alternate consciousness, just to tell me that Science is a journey that never end? well, duh :-) Then you wonder why I approach topics of spirituality/mysticism/meta-ph ysics with skepticism. It adds nothing new to our knowledge as far as I can tell, but sure as heck does muddy the waters with an imprecise vocabulary.
does art or literature or dance add anything to our "knowledge"?

Location hidden

#70946 Apr 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps true, but I see a loss of ORGANIZED religious affiliation a first step towards a loss of belief in general. Baby steps. And I would argue that there are those (myself included) that have taken that least leap away from faith with the aid of information more readily available on the Internet - Debates, Philosophical arguments, firmer understanding of logical fallacies, deeper understanding of scientific principles and explanations, etc...
Waiting to see the data on that which supports an actual trend

The Pew survey was roundly criticized for implying that same idea with no actual support. Thats why I mentioned it.

No doubt that there are people that fall into your camp. But that can be potentially anecdotal as any other observation to be used as a basis for a claim. I offered my anecdotes as well. Both outcomes are conceivable.

Location hidden

#70947 Apr 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
Deepakese: The Woo-Woo Master Deepak Chopra Speaks
Deepak Chopra is unhappy with my brand of skepticism--the type that identifies woo-woo nonsense and calls it for what it is: baloney - By
Michael Shermer
Last week Deepak and I debated life after death on Larry King Live, which did not include Larry King and was not live, but did feature guest host Jeff Probst, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Dinesh D'Souza, a reincarnation researcher, a young boy alleged to be a reincarnated World War II fighter pilot, and Deepak rolling his eyes and mumbling to his table-mates in the New York studio while I was alone in the Hollywood studio trying to get an edge in wordwise. You can read my account of the show at TrueSlant.
No one uses fuzzy language more adroitly than Deepak Chopra, who has an uncanny knack for stringing together words and phrases that, with his punctuated delivery style, actually sounds like something intelligible is being said.(All quotes are from the complete transcript of the show available here.) Deepak Chopra is obviously a smart guy, and maybe it's just me, but what do you make of Deepak's explanation for Near-Death Experiences?:
"There are traditions that say the in-body experience is a socially induced collective hallucination. We do not exist in the body. The body exists in us. We do not exist in the world. The world exists in us."
Maybe I'm dim witted, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this means. Likewise this ditty on life and death:
"Birth and death are space-time events in the continuum of life. So the opposite of life is not death. The opposite of death is birth. And the opposite of birth is death. And life is the continuum of birth and death, which goes on and on."
Uh? Can someone please tell me what this means? Likewise this gem of obfuscation:
"And life is, as he said, it's a process. It's one process. It's perception, cognition, emotions, moods, imagination, insight, intuition, creativity, choice making. These are not the activities of your networks. You orchestrate these activities through your synaptic networks. But if I ask you to imagine the color red or look at the color red, there's no red in your brain. There's just electrical firings."
If these "are not the activities of your networks" what are they? Oh, they are "just electrical firings." Uh? Isn't that a contradiction? What am I missing here?
During the show segment on reincarnation, I asked Deepak if the little boy's body is now occupied by the soul of a World War II fighter pilot, where is the boy's soul? Chopra offered this jewel of Deepakese:
"Imagine that you're looking at an ocean and you see lots of waves today. And tomorrow you see a fewer number of waves. It's not so turbulent. What you call a person actually is a pattern of behavior of a universal consciousness. There is no such thing as Jeff, because what we call Jeff is a constantly transforming consciousness that appears as a certain personality, a certain mind, a certain ego, a certain body. But, you know, we had a different Jeff when you were a teenager. We had a different Jeff when you were a baby. Which one of you is the real Jeff?"
Guest host Jeff Probst looked as confused as I felt.
Deepak has challenged me to a debate. I accept. I'm looking forward to collecting many more quotable maxims from the master of Deepakese.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shermer...
Have never been a real fan of Deepak, though I understand what eh was trying to do initially - which was to bring a generic Eastern form of philosophy to the masses. He obviously suffers from over simplification. But I get where the roots of several of his ideas are from.

I think your issue is that you are a scientific realist. Nothing wrong with that, but not the companion I would want to visit the Louvre with. OTOH you would be interesting to discuss Cosmos with. Different strokes.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70948 Apr 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Have never been a real fan of Deepak, though I understand what eh was trying to do initially - which was to bring a generic Eastern form of philosophy to the masses. He obviously suffers from over simplification. But I get where the roots of several of his ideas are from.
I think your issue is that you are a scientific realist. Nothing wrong with that, but not the companion I would want to visit the Louvre with. OTOH you would be interesting to discuss Cosmos with. Different strokes.
Hmmmm, are you implying that scientific realists can't appreciate and discuss art?

And speaking of Cosmos, have you watched the latest incarnation with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Not bad, but definitely not Carl Sagan.

Location hidden

#70949 Apr 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
does art or literature or dance add anything to our "knowledge"?
Art, literature and dance - yes

Pseudo-scientific, mystical double speak - no

Location hidden

#70950 Apr 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pew survey was roundly criticized for implying that same idea with no actual support. Thats why I mentioned it.
No doubt that there are people that fall into your camp. But that can be potentially anecdotal as any other observation to be used as a basis for a claim. I offered my anecdotes as well. Both outcomes are conceivable.
No disagreement here. I had the same complaint about the pew survey. And I do think spiritualism will rise as organized religion falls. I just don't happen to see that as a good thing.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70951 Apr 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
be a good place to post his gonadal status as well.
If we're all going to start posting every time we have one of those......we may run out of space and time for the religious chat.

If it were junior high....forget about. Try all day!!

But now, I've said too much!

:))

Location hidden

#70952 Apr 6, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Hi Former,

How're you?

When're you taking that trip to exotic Istanbul?

How's your job going?

Location hidden

#70953 Apr 6, 2014
ORIGINS

The origin of the cosmos remains shrouded in mystery and reductionistic models have failed to explain it. Similarly, the origin of sentience remains beyond the reach of crass materialistic science and the appearance of sentient species with simple/complex biological structures also remains unexplained. The fundamental questions on the origins will never be explained through crass materialism.

Location hidden

#70954 Apr 6, 2014
To keep the funds flowing, to promote the flawed idea of reductionism and to prevent the general public from seeing through the lies, the scientific community has perfected the art of verbal sophistry drawing on erroneous inferences of data that are at the best highly inadequate and often contradictory.

Location hidden

#70955 Apr 6, 2014
COSMOS - UNMANIFEST COMPLEXITY TO MANIFEST COMPLEXITY

1) I have proposed a 3 tier model of cosmology that begins with devolution of a complex system and ends in the appearance of living organisms.

The three stages are:

a) DEVOLUTION of the cosmic complexity which could have taken place via the Big Bang

b) INVOLUTION of the manifested complex information and

c) EVOLUTION (emergence) of the complex information from a state of involution leading to the graded appearance of life forms - that best explains the origin and complexity of nature and being, whereas the scientific model of cosmology that seeks to explain everything complex (higher information content) as a gradual buildup from simplicity (less information content) is flawed and ends in serious contradictions.

2) Complexity can only arise from complexity. If the information to form a complex structure exists in involved form then it's just a matter of a series of emergences (under appropriate stimuli) from the state of involution that brings the principle governing the complex form into manifestation.

3) This 3 tiered approach, as a broad outline, that I have suggested makes perfect sense and does away with the artificial need of trying to explain away complexity especially where the perplexing problem of the fine tuning of the universe is concerned by proposing a fictional MULTIVERSE (that juggles with the probability theory or that of chance in a more foolish manner and fails to explain the origin of the meta-laws) and in the context of the LIVING WORLD by talking nonsense about how insentient chemicals somehow combined by chance to produce sentience and how a single cell divided and underwent natural selection and mutations that ultimately gave rise to higher life forms with all their complexities when it is apparent that neither can insentient chemicals combine to produce life nor can a simple cell with limited information give rise to complex biological forms having much higher information content and besides there's no evidence in support any of these hallucinatory ideas.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#70956 Apr 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
A book from 1824 lamenting the at most small increase in believers since the ages of it's hardpressed inception. In absolute numbers close to zilch so to say.
Mind at least four episodes of plaque in the meantime.
But Mahomet considered as the competition.

I suppose people are more naief nowadays or go off on a tangent, as if a different church would remedy the issue.
Or you might say that diversity works it's wonders.

http://books.google.nl/books...
pg 235
best take the FrontPage and leaf to the content, press blue.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#70957 Apr 6, 2014
head -> desk
devolution.

Location hidden

#70958 Apr 7, 2014
"He is born in vain, who, having attained the human birth, so difficult to get, does not attempt to realize the Supreme Self in this very life."

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramhans

(Guru of Swami Vivekananda)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) 11 hr silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Sep 29 Insect Trust 32
WNMU students graduate from Police Academy (Jun '10) Sep '14 Really 8
Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos Jobs