Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72030 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Cheshire, CT

#69295 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I would imagine for the non coastal Fairfield County areas (i.e. your neck of the woods), even $60,000 would be more than comfortable.
Plenty of folks in my area live for a lot less than 60k. Not that I would enjoy that situation.
The only thing cheaper here is probably the real estate.

Our house would probably be worth triple in Greenwich.

We're in New Haven county, fairly close to Hartford County.

Did you know all county gov't in CT was abolished in I think 1970? or 1960 maybe

In PA county gov't was very important. You even paid them a RE tax. along with town and school taxes (3 different RE tax bills each year - the school taxes being the biggest bite).
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69296 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What I have observed of the folks in the wealthier zip codes over the border from me, is that even though their incomes are often in multiples of mine, they are also more likely to be cash poor due to mortgage payments, private schooling, car payments, etc etc.
Yeah it's not just the pricey house but everything they think must go along with the address.
Hard to maintain. I've seen it in my own family.

My mom will be moving soon and my sis after her whole life in OG recently moved to Stamford - though still a nicer house than I can afford. Or would want to. She was bummed at losing her beach pass.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69297 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Along with some other sticker shocks moving from PA to CT (heating oil vs gas; gasoline; DMV; car insurance; RE taxes...) was the income tax.
In PA it's a flat 3.07% on everything. Here it goes up over 6%.
Just finished doing the taxes.
We still like it here. Not so much the sauna in the summer. But one pays for it a little over the winter. Rob Peter to pay Paul. Something nice about New England.
However, the state tax is deductible from the fed taxes. And you need to get back in the RE business so that your entire lifestyle can be deductible, lol.

We are on natural gas - so no worries there.

Location hidden

#69298 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing cheaper here is probably the real estate.
Our house would probably be worth triple in Greenwich.
We're in New Haven county, fairly close to Hartford County.
Did you know all county gov't in CT was abolished in I think 1970? or 1960 maybe
In PA county gov't was very important. You even paid them a RE tax. along with town and school taxes (3 different RE tax bills each year - the school taxes being the biggest bite).
There has been talk lately locally about trying regionalize some the services again - not as county but more like merging services from some local cities with their adjacent towns. But the fact is people are terrified of county taxes because they look over the border at Westchester and see that tax morass.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69299 Mar 13, 2014
Jeebus,

Where're you?

LOL

Location hidden

#69300 Mar 13, 2014
St. Louis Congregation Seeks to Convert Jews
Local Jews object to Messianic-Lutheran congregation’s misleading services

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/165889/st-lou...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69301 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been talk lately locally about trying regionalize some the services again - not as county but more like merging services from some local cities with their adjacent towns. But the fact is people are terrified of county taxes because they look over the border at Westchester and see that tax morass.
The courts are still organized by county though not in Fairfield or New Haven counties.

In PA they have yet another layer of gov't called the TownSHIP.(LIke what you're saying, a couple of towns but much smaller than a county.) Often schools and police/fire etc are by township. Does some efficiency result? Maybe.

Lots of ways to get taxed.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#69302 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:

Haven't you heard? They're only doing this because they 'love' us.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69303 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
However, the state tax is deductible from the fed taxes. And you need to get back in the RE business so that your entire lifestyle can be deductible, lol.
We are on natural gas - so no worries there.
Not sure if you are aware, but if you set up a CT 529 College Savings Plan for your kid(s), you can deduct up to $10,000 a year from your CT income taxes.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69304 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
"Their mission is to preach that Jesus was the messiah, and to convert their Jewish follows to Christianity. "

An example of why spell check isn't good enough.

And isn't all religion potentially "offensive and misleading?!"

"The congregation is led by Rev. Kevin Parviz, who grew up in an observant Jewish home before marrying a Lutheran woman and converting to Christianity."

He took the next leap of faith and thinks others should to.

It actually makes sense to me that if you're trying to convert people to Christianity, you wouldn't go after Hindus or Muslims when you could go after those who have already bought into the underlying story, Part 1 of the Good Book as it were.

He's only asking them to make that next leap as early Christians did. And as he himself did.

From a marketing point of view, it makes sense. Cost-benefit etc.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69305 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Darien leverages the Stamford water treatment facility.

Location hidden

#69306 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you are aware, but if you set up a CT 529 College Savings Plan for your kid(s), you can deduct up to $10,000 a year from your CT income taxes.
I have one. Hopefully my accountant was awake enough to notice. Taxes have been filed.

Location hidden

#69307 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
"Their mission is to preach that Jesus was the messiah, and to convert their Jewish follows to Christianity. "
An example of why spell check isn't good enough.
And isn't all religion potentially "offensive and misleading?!"
"The congregation is led by Rev. Kevin Parviz, who grew up in an observant Jewish home before marrying a Lutheran woman and converting to Christianity."
He took the next leap of faith and thinks others should to.
It actually makes sense to me that if you're trying to convert people to Christianity, you wouldn't go after Hindus or Muslims when you could go after those who have already bought into the underlying story, Part 1 of the Good Book as it were.
He's only asking them to make that next leap as early Christians did. And as he himself did.
From a marketing point of view, it makes sense. Cost-benefit etc.
There is a picture of the storefront at the bottom of the article. On the right there is signage for a ministry. On the left is the signage for the "Hebrew" congregation. Any real Jew who walks in there would HAVE to be buyer beware. Can't make it any more obvious than that.

Doesnt make it any less offensive.

He gotta know that his success rate will be low, so it doesnt make marketing sense. He is only doing it to stick a thorn in other people's eyes, and in the process to get publicity. Of which he succeeded, apparently. His real audience would be those Christians interested in becoming "biblical Christians", a movement that is definitely growing.

Location hidden

#69308 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The courts are still organized by county though not in Fairfield or New Haven counties.
In PA they have yet another layer of gov't called the TownSHIP.(LIke what you're saying, a couple of towns but much smaller than a county.) Often schools and police/fire etc are by township. Does some efficiency result? Maybe.
Lots of ways to get taxed.
NY has a similar system - villages, towns, cities, counties, school districts -often with some degree of overlap - and some with the SAME name except one may be a village while the other is a town. It drives me nuts when I work over the border - never quite sure where I am and who's regs I am under...

Location hidden

#69309 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Darien leverages the Stamford water treatment facility.
Rich people sht the same way as us poor people. Except we have to live with the stink.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69310 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I have one. Hopefully my accountant was awake enough to notice. Taxes have been filed.
I paid a few times to have them done then really took a loot at what they were doing.

Not rocket science at all.

Try TurboTax - that's what the pros use.

Easy as pie. Almost idiot-proof!

It gently prompts your through the process.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69311 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a picture of the storefront at the bottom of the article. On the right there is signage for a ministry. On the left is the signage for the "Hebrew" congregation. Any real Jew who walks in there would HAVE to be buyer beware. Can't make it any more obvious than that.
Doesnt make it any less offensive.
He gotta know that his success rate will be low, so it doesnt make marketing sense. He is only doing it to stick a thorn in other people's eyes, and in the process to get publicity. Of which he succeeded, apparently. His real audience would be those Christians interested in becoming "biblical Christians", a movement that is definitely growing.
Is it anymore offensive then Nissan targeting Toyota drivers for conversion?

They already like Japanese cars so it's just one step away from Toy to Nissan.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69312 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich people sht the same way as us poor people. Except we have to live with the stink.
I though they sent anything nasty over to Jersey!

That's the way it was in the old days.

:))

Location hidden

#69313 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I paid a few times to have them done then really took a loot at what they were doing.
Not rocket science at all.
Try TurboTax - that's what the pros use.
Easy as pie. Almost idiot-proof!
It gently prompts your through the process.
The days of me doing my own taxes are long gone. Too many complications - investments, business,depreciation schedules, etc etc. And turbo wont represent you when you get a letter from the IRS, as a friend of mine got - it was an accident on behalf of the IRS but still took time to resolve.

Location hidden

#69314 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I though they sent anything nasty over to Jersey!
That's the way it was in the old days.
:))
The other day I heard a story (will not even speculate if it was true) of hospital demolition waste from out of state being delivered as fill on a private residence here in CT. So it goes both ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) 16 hr Tony 625
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Sat SPAM 6
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun 11 Tiger37 1
News Armory celebrates 100 years Jun 7 my opinion 1
News Old-fashioned Fourth of July party (Jul '13) May '16 YUUUUP 4
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) May '16 CrookedHillary 57
News Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pinos Altos Mortgages