Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Jun 21, 2008 Read more: Newsday 71,941
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Read more

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#68356 Feb 26, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

The swami doesnt realize that the IVY's strength has never been in STEM, though they do have significant contributions to those areas.

The IVYs strength has traditionally been in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Policy.
I am aware of this fact.

I am all for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) subjects and have little or no time to waste on the frivolous humanities.

Anyway, each to his own.

Location hidden

#68357 Feb 26, 2014
I admire MIT, Caltech, Stanford, UC at Berkeley.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68358 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>.......I'm sure there is some statistical measure that the professional hand-wringing class can point to to show an overall decline in prosperity but, I have as broad a wealth of experience as any merchant of woe statistician and I'm reporting that the patient is alive and healthy (just as long as he doesn't sign up for Obamacare).
Well, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

:)

I can see there is nothing I can say that will convince you that the real world is not exactly the same as your personal experience and anecdotal evidence.

You do sound like every Fox News watcher I've ever met, but perhaps that isn't fair. Then again.....

What's wrong with Obamacare? Do you think it's ok that 30+ millions of us had no healthcare? I hadn't seen any good solutions being offered from the other side. I will assume that Singapore has good healthcare. Anyplace where you can get arrested for spitting on the sidewalk I would think has that covered. How about Down Under?

Location hidden

#68359 Feb 26, 2014
Carnegie Mellon is another great US university and is globally renowned especially for its Computer Science program.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#68360 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
...You do sound like every Fox News watcher I've ever met, but perhaps that isn't fair. Then again.....
Hate to break it to you ... I don't even have cable. I download all my shows. Back when I did, the only Fox Show I ever watched was "Red Eye" -- but they don't carry that on Singapore cable.

We have CNN running 24/7 in my office, thankfully on mute. I think they used to have MSNBC here but both their viewers died.

Location hidden

#68361 Feb 26, 2014
FOND WISH

If someone here can pull me out of the problems I am facing, I'll scoot back in no time to academics and complete the PhD and get down to serious research. I had a great grounding in Math/Science at Cathedral School and later at IIT. Many of our profs were educated at the finest universities abroad and exposed us to the intricacies of the subjects in depth and the questions given to solve were extremely challenging. What needed to be done was to focus equally hard on practical skills in the subjects. Things are now changing with the new education policy. I've lost touch with academics these past few years. Oh, I miss those academic challenges and the thrill of topping the class.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#68362 Feb 26, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Interestingly, there was a major study released a few days ago saying childhood obesity was actually on a significant decline here. More than 30% decrease over 10 years if I recall. Attributed to the rise of the nanny state (harder to find soft drinks in the schools), and due to public educational efforts by Michelle Obama (this is her pet issue) and others.
Where there is good news to be had, there will always be a politico standing up to take the credit -- its the one immutable constant in the Universe.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68363 Feb 26, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The swami doesnt realize that the IVY's strength has never been in STEM, though they do have significant contributions to those areas. The IVYs strength has traditionally been in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Policy.
I only used the Ivies as an example or figure of speech or whatever.

Didn't intend to exclude MIT/Berkley/Chicago/ etc.

Just meant we all weren't cut out for these types of schools. And maybe limited resources should be allocated to those who show real promise.

Location hidden

#68364 Feb 26, 2014
MENTOR

I am seriously on the look out for a mature mentor who can help me channelize my incisive intellectual talents and push me back into the depths of mainstream academics because at heart I am a nerd and not a socialite. Till then, it remains a fervent wish. I earnestly want to get out of the dangerous mess I've landed myself in. Maybe, I'll be lucky, soon.

Location hidden

#68365 Feb 26, 2014
If I ever succeed in the near future in getting my life in proper shape and re-enter the stratosphere of serious academics, I'll enroll at the BARC in Mumbai (IIT sucks at the doc level) or I would simply love to study at MIT, Caltech or UC at Berkeley. I just love being involved in serious academic work, being surrounded by top-notch students and to have inspirational profs to push me to the limits of my capacity.

Location hidden

#68366 Feb 26, 2014
Many of my classmates from Cathedral School and IIT have studied at MIT, Caltech, UC at Berkeley and Stanford and are doing so well in their respective fields. Well, more good wishes to them to achieve even greater heights, while I rot over here in mental depression/ill-effects of occult. I have no one to help me get out of the serious mess. I am very sad for myself. My life is almost ruined.

Location hidden

#68367 Feb 26, 2014
I don't wish to talk any more about academics, top notch universities and my former classmates. I am slipping into deeper depression and am feeling ill. I am very sad.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68368 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Americans eat a lot of fast food, but that's because it's FAST.

It's also cheap. Many "urban Americans" eat fast food because it's relatively cheap.
Try walking through the produce isle, the meat sections and putting together a dinner for a family vs stopping in at McD's and ordering off the value menu or event he regular menu,
Fresh, healthy food here costs a lot.

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
, American fast food rules.
I live in a town of 30,000 people and we have one fast food place (if you don't count Subway and Dunkin Donuts). That's exactly one more fast food place than I need 300 days of the year. I'm no health nut but eating McDonald's make me very, very thirsty. That can't be a good sign.

I think it sxcks. I would go anywhere else. If you don't have 5-10 minutes for someone to make you a real lunch, you probably don't have time to eat lunch. We are just addicted to sugar/fat and salt. And we're cheap. And yes, in a hurry.
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
, but Americans work out more than the citizens of any other country I've seen.
If that's true, we need more of it, perhaps due to our everyday habits.

In Europe people ride bikes more and walk more. We sit around and feed our fat cells.

In Hong Kong I remember the old folks all walking in the early morning and doing exercise in public. Mid-level section.

Now I've been around a little too and we are FAT!!

Guessing you've never been down south? Mississippi? How about Disney World?

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
American live in larger houses today than we did in the '70s, own more possessions, take better vacations, eat better food, and live longer,
We are downsizing our houses - can't afford to heat them.

We have a lot of stuff but it's all on credit - we have a low savings rate.

Europeans travel much more than we do, esp around Europe and they come over here to go shopping. Americans are much more narrow and. provincial.

Typical American vacation: a Carnival cruise or Disney World. Duhhhhhh! Most of us are bran dead idiots!:)))

Just ask Joel!

:))))

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#68369 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Where there is good news to be had, there will always be a politico standing up to take the credit -- its the one immutable constant in the Universe.
But she didnt stand up to take credit - it was attributed to her by those who investigated as to why the rate has dramatically decreased. I guess you are not aware, but she has been rather effectively implementing a nationwide program towards better nutrition in the schools at other places.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#68370 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.

I live in a town of 30,000 people and we have one fast food place (if you don't count Subway and Dunkin Donuts). That's exactly one more fast food place than I need 300 days of the year. I'm no health nut but eating McDonald's make me very, very thirsty. That can't be a good sign.
)
I cut out all fast foods 20 plus years ago. It wasnt a conscious decision and as such there was no ideology behind my change of behavior. It just happened as a consequence of lifestyle.(The same for drinking coffee).

HOWEVER, what I discovered afterwords was that I could not go back. Apparently I lost my taste for the sugar, salt, and fat. The few times over the last few years I have tried to eat it, the food tastes repulsive to me. Again, not out ideology, but out of taste.(OTOH I still enjoy pizza, and on occasion the more artfully prepared burger - maybe its the sugar more than the salt and fat that I dont like?).

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#68371 Feb 26, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I cut out all fast foods 20 plus years ago. It wasnt a conscious decision and as such there was no ideology behind my change of behavior. It just happened as a consequence of lifestyle.(The same for drinking coffee).
HOWEVER, what I discovered afterwords was that I could not go back. Apparently I lost my taste for the sugar, salt, and fat. The few times over the last few years I have tried to eat it, the food tastes repulsive to me. Again, not out ideology, but out of taste.(OTOH I still enjoy pizza, and on occasion the more artfully prepared burger - maybe its the sugar more than the salt and fat that I dont like?).
If you're into burgers, you should try the mushroom burger at Plan B. One of the best burgers I ever had.

Location hidden

#68372 Feb 26, 2014
Morality has almost everything to do with conflict-resolution, taking a pro-social attitude and the need to feel wanted.

Location hidden

#68373 Feb 26, 2014
"No man is an island, " said John Donne. Correct!

Location hidden

#68374 Feb 26, 2014
Religion seriously mucks up morality by introducing tribal affinity, a false air of superiority, superstition, genocides, fanaticism and a bargaining attitude.

Location hidden

#68375 Feb 26, 2014
These days medical studies have shown that praying for patients usually worsens their condition. I knew this all along. Praying for an ill person directs at him the personality defects via energy fields radiated from the bodies of those praying for the speedy recovery of the patient.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Apr 13 Tony 617
News Barshaw on suicide watch (Dec '10) Apr 5 yankeedudell 57
News Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Apr 3 Tyler King 4
News City Attorney: Peddlers may be breaking law on ... Apr 1 Msgt Don 1
test Mar 28 dfandw 3
which sponsor pulled out of 2015 tour of gila ? Mar 19 A Volunteer 2
News Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]