Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,159
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#68337 Feb 26, 2014
Just Like That, American Atheists Booted from CPAC

After a Republican gay rights group had problems getting into CPAC, I was stunned that American Atheists managed to get a booth at the uber-conservative conference so easily… and it appears that CPAC finally realized what they had done.

Less than a day after AA made the announcement, CPAC has booted them from the conference. Why? Check out this reaction from Christian Right leader Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council:

“CPAC’s mission is to be an umbrella for conservative organizations that advance liberty, traditional values and our national defense,” said Perkins, who spokes at CPAC in 2012.“Does the American Conservative Union really think the liberties and values they seek to preserve can be maintained when they partner with individuals and organizations that are undermining the understanding that our liberties come from God? Thomas Jefferson warned against such nonsense.”

The social conservative leader added:“If this is where the ACU is headed, they will have to pack up and put away the ‘C’ in CPAC!”
What Perkins wants, Perkins gets. So CPAC is now telling American Atheists they will not be allowed to attend:

American Conservative Union Executive Director Dan Schneider, the head of the team organizing CPAC, called Dave Silverman up today to explain the decision:

According to Silverman, Schneider cited “the tone” in the quote “The Christian right should be threatened by us.”, which was in a Tuesday CNN article, as the reason for the revocation. This reversal came just hours after a press release from American Atheists announcing the booth, one week before the conference.

Silverman repudiated Schneider’s assertion:“This is exactly the problem. The ACU, which has invited CPAC speakers such as Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Sarah Palin, is afraid of my tone? My ‘tone’ was clearly an excuse to back out after our press release angered religious conservatives.”

“Continuing to conflate religion and conservatism is not a viable strategy; this was apparently too scary for CPAC attendees to hear,” Silverman said.“America’s religious conservatives can deny it all they want, but soon they’re going to realize that ignoring the growing number of atheist constituents is a losing proposition.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#68338 Feb 26, 2014
Yawn.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68339 Feb 26, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The religious right is notorious for intermingling religion with politics, often illegally. They SHOULD be afraid of American Atheists, as well as any other secular or non-secular group that advocates for the separation of church and state. I fail to see how that's being a dick.
2. If being dicks is their only crime and the reason for the disinvite, then how do you explain the Right's constant association with Ted Nugent?
Like I said, they were within their rights to disinvite the group, but I stand by my statement that they are being hippocrates.
And I think it's more forthright and honest for the atheists to be upfront about their agenda than to get inside the convention and then ambush the bible thumpers.

I doubt their basic message has ever changed. So not sure what all the drama was about.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#68340 Feb 26, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
If being dicks is their only crime and the reason for the disinvite, then how do you explain the Right's constant association with Ted Nugent?
To answer that, I will cite America's foremost philosophical work, the movie "Animal House". By any objective measure, the members of Delta House and the members of Omega House were equally dicks. They just didn't seem like dicks to each other.

I find Ted Nugent to be a fun-loving and provocative dick (ala Delta House) and Piers Morgan (CNN's own Omega pledge) to be just a plain dick (or spotted dick).

I'm sure there are a few people on this planet who find just the opposite of that to be true (although I've personally never met one).

Location hidden

#68341 Feb 26, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Rick,
In Boolean algebra, how would you find the conjunction (XnY)^''
(smiles in advance)
It's kind of cute that he didn't get it. Equal parts cute and sad. Like a kitten with Feline Leukemia.

Location hidden

#68342 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.

Don't forget TV and the internet. Many distractions. Don't know if there is any one causative agent at work. The schools? Parents not making sure their kids are studying and doing their homework? A decedent society?
Or, is it due to too much of liberty given to kids?

Just a handful of educated Americans (kids and adults) have decent Math, Physics and Chem skills and surprisingly their language skills are also ebbing.

The overall standard of education in the US is slipping fast.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68343 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>..... But ... I almost never knowingly invite a Vegan for dinner. Not because I am not willing to prepare a special dish for them. But, because of my dread of the inevitable moment when the meat dish is brought to the table and they announce with a smugness usually reserved for members of the royal family to all assembled that, "Oh! I'm a Vegan". My biggest fear is that I will straight up murder them and serve their livers with fava beans and a nice chianti.......

Sounds like a tolerance issue.

Some might feel the same about guests who refuse the grated parmesan for their spaghetti and meatballs lest they anger the man up in the sky (or for whatever reason). This might come off as smug as well. It's all in the presentation but also (evidently) in the eye of the host.

But if one refused to "have a Jew to dinner" you might call that anti-Semitic. In fact I think you would.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68344 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
People have had "wet-dreams" about turning the US into a theocracy since the first white folk showed up on this shore (the Pilgrim Fathers were only interested in the freedom to bring everyone else to THEIR religion). That being said, I have no doubt it predates White migrations and that Clovis Man fantasized regularly about turning the American Southwest into a fundamentalist Animist homeland. The urge to bring your neighbours under the yoke of collective thought is what separates man from fungi.
But, a fantasy is all it will ever be, It will never happen. America was founded on fun (pursuit of happiness) and fun it too engrained in the American DNA to ever allow a significant portion of the population to submit to theocratic rule.
American might FLIRT with religious authority (in the '20s religion had smeared America's lipstick and got a few of its corset hooks undone by managing to pass Prohibition) but all it takes is a good public evangelical scandal to pour cold water over our national heads.
Let them have their fantasies, goodness knows I have a few of my own. I don't care if they have wet dreams and I don't involve them in mine.
As fun loving as we may be, we are still a very religious country (as compared with other western democracies) and we work longer hours and take far fewer vacations.

The best fun most American can afford these days is watching TV and eating fast food. As the middle class has been disappearing and the standard of living has been dropping since the 1970s.

The theocratic rule is not codified but its impact is very real, esp in the middle of the country. Look what happened to the atheists. Lack of tolerance for different beliefs - most certainly not what this country was founded on.

Location hidden

#68345 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.

Everybody isn't Ivy League material.
I'm not impressed with Ivy League and think that non-Ivy League schools like MIT, Stanford, UC at Berkeley and Caltech are by far the best schools for STEM subjects in the US.

These top US schools accept a significant number of top ranking students from Cathedral School (Mumbai) at the undergrad level and from the IITs at the grad level.

Brilliant Asian students form a huge chunk at these elite US schools.

Location hidden

#68346 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>,

But if one refused to "have a Jew to dinner" you might call that anti-Semitic. In fact I think you would.
You forget, we have literal volumes of religious laws dedicated to preventing us from eating with (or even associating casually with) non-Jews. Could you blame them for not wanting to eat with us?

Location hidden

#68347 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>

It's kind of cute that he didn't get it. Equal parts cute and sad. Like a kitten with Feline Leukemia.
Dunce, stick to nursing. LOL.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68348 Feb 26, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, is it due to too much of liberty given to kids?
Just a handful of educated Americans (kids and adults) have decent Math, Physics and Chem skills and surprisingly their language skills are also ebbing.
The overall standard of education in the US is slipping fast.
As I said, promote and support the best and the brightest.

Everyone isn't meant to be a rocket scientist.

We need folks in all kind of jobs.

Location hidden

#68349 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.

Promote and support the best and the brightest.
I am all for merit at all levels of education and don't support quotas and reservations for certain communities in universities.

Weak students should be diverted to vocational schools where they can pick up a useful trade like carpentry, tailoring, nursing, cookery etc to help them enter the job market instead of living on government handouts.

I believe the number of American families living near or below the poverty line is high and increasing. Dole, dole, dole....

Location hidden

#68350 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Students still come from around the world to attend top US universities.
The best brains in the US are usually born outside the US.

By luring the best brains in the world from other countries to study, work and live in the US, the US is gaining at their expense.

Brain drain is a harsh reality.

Location hidden

#68351 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes, the natural law of unity in variety at work

Aptitude decides one's field of study/work.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#68352 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget, we have literal volumes of religious laws dedicated to preventing us from eating with (or even associating casually with) non-Jews. Could you blame them for not wanting to eat with us?
I don't think you're always this understanding as I recall over perceived slights.

Terms like "Jew hater" come to mind.

Just trying to keep it real.

Location hidden

#68353 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

...The best fun most American can afford these days is watching TV and eating fast food. As the middle class has been disappearing and the standard of living has been dropping since the 1970s...
I hear stuff like that all the time (mostly in the films of Michael Moore) but it's just ridiculous. I've lived in a lot of countries (not just visited, but lived as a resident for years at a time) and Americans are hand's down the most fun people on the face of this planet (a close second goes to Australia).

Yes, a lot of Americans watch TV -- that is because American TV is the best out there. Shows like "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire" have production values and writing that even the Brits can't match (yes, I watch 'Downton Abbey' but they only shoot seven episodes a season, so it's a totally different weight class).

Yes, Americans eat a lot of fast food, but that's because it's FAST. Americans have active lifestyles and when they're not working they're doing something else. Besides, American fast food rules. Try fast food in Korea, or China or India -- if it doesn't give you dysentery. Americans eat a lot of (tasty) crap, but Americans work out more than the citizens of any other country I've seen. Obesity in America is on the rise but, spoiler alert, its on the rise everywhere else as well. At 25 BMI I'm svelt even in Asia these days. North Koreans tend to stay thinner -- not sure how. People here in Singapore think I'm crazy for running daily in this heat and humidity. On any give morning I will bump into one or two other runners -- compare that to any morning in the parks of any American large city.

My parents were reasonably affluent middle class in the '70s when I was in High School. I can count the number of consumer electronics we had in our house on my fingers. Two TVs in 1970 -- only one was colour. American live in larger houses today than we did in the '70s, own more possessions, take better vacations, eat better food, and live longer, healthier lifestyles than we did in the '70s.

I'm sure there is some statistical measure that the professional hand-wringing class can point to to show an overall decline in prosperity but, I have as broad a wealth of experience as any merchant of woe statistician and I'm reporting that the patient is alive and healthy (just as long as he doesn't sign up for Obamacare).

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#68354 Feb 26, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, promote and support the best and the brightest.
Everyone isn't meant to be a rocket scientist.
The swami doesnt realize that the IVY's strength has never been in STEM, though they do have significant contributions to those areas. The IVYs strength has traditionally been in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Policy.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#68355 Feb 26, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
. Obesity in America is on the rise but, spoiler alert, its on the rise everywhere else as well.
Interestingly, there was a major study released a few days ago saying childhood obesity was actually on a significant decline here. More than 30% decrease over 10 years if I recall. Attributed to the rise of the nanny state (harder to find soft drinks in the schools), and due to public educational efforts by Michelle Obama (this is her pet issue) and others.

Location hidden

#68356 Feb 26, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

The swami doesnt realize that the IVY's strength has never been in STEM, though they do have significant contributions to those areas.

The IVYs strength has traditionally been in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Policy.
I am aware of this fact.

I am all for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) subjects and have little or no time to waste on the frivolous humanities.

Anyway, each to his own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hearing set for teen who allegedly shot father ... (Jan '11) Oct 29 Circe 6
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Oct 26 Insect Trust 37
Mimbres area Oct 24 Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct 21 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos People Search