Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66990 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you can predict my answer to this....the brain.
thoughts, maybe. But the "self"? Its more complicated than a single cell.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66991 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
What distinguishes them from the Messianics? Is it the fact that they don't consider themselves Jews?
Messianics pretend to be Jews in order to convert actual Jews to their Xtian beliefs, The Messianic movement was created and still funded by various Xtian denominations.

It appears these others, not sure what you call them, just want to be left alone (an more importantly, leave others alone) to do their thing.

As far as I'm concerned, you can believe that Slim Whitman is the messiah and yodel three times a day as long as you don't call yourself Jewish.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66992 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
thoughts, maybe. But the "self"? Its more complicated than a single cell.
But not more complicated than billions of neurons interacting.

Do you believe that at some point in the future, an artificial intelligence simulation can achieve self-realization? What implications, if any, do you think this will have if it is acheived?

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66993 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>But not more complicated than billions of neurons interacting.

Do you believe that at some point in the future, an artificial intelligence simulation can achieve self-realization? What implications, if any, do you think this will have if it is acheived?
"The day a computer kills itself because it thinks it's too fat is the day I'll believe artificial intelligence has arrived. " -- unknown

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66994 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
But not more complicated than billions of neurons interacting.
Do you believe that at some point in the future, an artificial intelligence simulation can achieve self-realization? What implications, if any, do you think this will have if it is acheived?
To be simplistic about it - how can you disprove that even that isnt Gods will?

In other words, the consequences would be interesting in its own right, but wouldn't necessarily have implications as to people's beliefs.

Pew survey today said 92% of people on an Evangelical website thought the Science guy WON. But the commentary from the online press seems to unite around the idea that despite that, the Creation guy won as he was awarded his platform before millions of viewers.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66995 Feb 6, 2014
Devil's court appointed attorney here. What is it to Bill Nye if this guys wants to create a museum dedicated to the proposition that the world was created last Wednesday and that G-d put fossils in the ground to frak with people who dare to study science?

Surely it's not the most stupid waste of real estate on the planet.

I'm not sure what was achieved here except maybe a replay of the King-Riggs match of '73.

I'm already cheesed at Bill Nye because he filed a restraining order against Sheldon Cooper.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66996 Feb 6, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
Devil's court appointed attorney here. What is it to Bill Nye if this guys wants to create a museum dedicated to the proposition that the world was created last Wednesday and that G-d put fossils in the ground to frak with people who dare to study science?
Surely it's not the most stupid waste of real estate on the planet.
I'm not sure what was achieved here except maybe a replay of the King-Riggs match of '73.
I'm already cheesed at Bill Nye because he filed a restraining order against Sheldon Cooper.
So you don't think a nationally renowned science educator is within his rights to call BS on the purveyor of junk science (and even this term is being too generous)- particularly when this purveyor is associated with organizations that are attempting to push this pseudo-science into public school science classes?

And yes, I agree with you re: Sheldon.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66997 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
To be simplistic about it - how can you disprove that even that isnt Gods will?
Burden of proof wouldn't rest wth me. You know that.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66999 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't think a nationally renowned science educator is within his rights to call BS on the purveyor of junk science (and even this term is being too generous)- particularly when this purveyor is associated with organizations that are attempting to push this pseudo-science into public school science classes?
And yes, I agree with you re: Sheldon.
Sure he has the right. But what was accomplished? The debate was just sideshow. If actual facts were enough to sway believers in this type of junk to change their minds there would be no believers in this. There were no epiphanies, both sides claim victory.

If we're truly interested in preventing junk science from getting school curriculum then a better approach (and a far better use of Mr Nye's notoriety and reputation) is for him to attend as many school board meetings as possible, and encourage other renown scientist to do the same. Additionally, train other concerned citizens to do the same by arming them with talking points and lucid rebuttals ( a lot of people recognize junk science when they see it but are not well enough informed to articulate arguments against it).

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#67000 Feb 6, 2014
What Mr. Nye did accomplish was to give steer cred to his minions and allow him to scream 'Look! The heathen scientists are attacking us because we're right!'

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67001 Feb 6, 2014
Consciousness is an epiphenomenon of energy/matter.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67002 Feb 6, 2014
Consciousness is not a thing but an activity of energy/matter.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67003 Feb 6, 2014
The prophets/sages were wrong in positing consciousness as the prime thing that counts in the universe and in the individual's life.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67004 Feb 6, 2014
The prophets/sages would enter into a particular mode of consciousness and get so deeply involved in it that they'd fail to see the basis of consciousness which is activity of energy/matter of a system in various stages of organization.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#67005 Feb 6, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure he has the right. But what was accomplished? The debate was just sideshow. If actual facts were enough to sway believers in this type of junk to change their minds there would be no believers in this. There were no epiphanies, both sides claim victory.
With this, I agree and I said as much the other day. It is a pleasant surprise, however, that many evangelicals are acknowledging that Nye won the debate. Could be a sign of the apocalypse.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#67006 Feb 6, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
What Mr. Nye did accomplish was to give steer cred to his minions and allow him to scream 'Look! The heathen scientists are attacking us because we're right!'
Giving the quacks an air of credibility. Yea, I get that. In case you're not aware, the secular community was overwhelmingly against this debate.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#67007 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason--What a bizarre rant. Is it that time of the month for you?

HughBe--- The thing is your nonsense above is not strange and indeed it is a typical rant that one expects from you. In addition, it is that time of month when I try to enlighten those that dwell in darkness e.g. YOU.

COR---Tell me, Hugh, what is a Labarum. Which letters does it consist of? What was it used for?

HughBe--- 1. I have no idea. 2. I know about your DUMB part but I was not aware that you were also BLIND. Anyhow, the letters are : L-A-B-A-R-U-M. Tell me, do you understand that YOU have spoken about LETTERS and NOT a letter?

So when you speak about LETTERS I take it that in your neck of the HOLE it means ONE letter and it explains your use of xtian and xtianity. Please be kind and tell me the labarum LETTERS in your words. 3. Toilet paper?

COR---Go do some homework and get back to me you silly xtian.

HUghBe--- As you know personally, when confronted with reality and truth the weak-minded express themselves as you have done.

Now go as you were instructed to. The instructions are below.

HughBe--- You are NOT a bloody fool and YOU know that your "xtianity" is DISRESPECTFUL etc.(Flattery)

Lesson 1-- no Christian would refer to the religion in that way.

Do you care to hazard a guess as to why Christians would not speak the way that you did?

Give it a try.

I want YOU to speak to any real atheists or agnostic and NOT a pretender like you and describe Christianity in the way that you did and see his or her response. Do the same to ANY Christian that you know or encounter in your area and let me know the response.
Wake-up, COR.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67008 Feb 6, 2014
Given the ignorance of the prophets and sages in failing to understand that consciousness is not a thing but an activity of energy/matter in various stages of organization, we, as a result, see the prophets and sages making multiple errors in talking about reality. The reality is not consciousness which is merely the surface activity of energy/matter in different stages of organization. This would mean that consciousness, like, say, mass, space, time, gravity and so on, arises from energy/matter not that consciousness created energy/matter. Consciousness is devoid of substance and of energy and so it can neither create anything nor do work. Consciousness can be altered by psychotropic drugs and consciousness is affected if the brain is damaged. Thus, consciousness is always associated with matter/energy and can neither exist by itself nor do work on its own. To conclude, not surprisingly, on account of their ignorance about the basis of consciousness (which is simply an activity of energy/matter which gets manifested at various levels of organization of energy/matter of a system), none of the prophets could tell us anything about the true laws of nature or about the origins of the universe or about the emergence of life or about appearance of the species nor could they efface the sufferings of humankind nor ease the burden of people by inventing machines and expectedly not a single prophecy on a long term basis made by a prophet/sage has fulfilled itself. So, the prophets/sages were mere mind control specialists, preachers of superstitions, liars, murderers, ignorant bronze age barbarians and megalomaniacs who lived in the surface activity of energy/matter which is their individual consciousness.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67009 Feb 6, 2014
Each degree of organization of energy/matter gives rise to a specific degree of consciousness. The more organized a system is - like say the human brain - in terms of its complexity of parts and with respect to the interactions of these complex parts among themselves and with their surroundings the more does consciousness as an epiphenomenon manifest in the given system.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#67010 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>...In case you're not aware, the secular community was overwhelmingly against this debate.
I wasn't. I no longer get the newsletter because of back dues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southwest Print Fiesta will be held on Labor Da... Aug 18 just asking 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... (Jun '15) Aug 4 save the water 5
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul '16 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul '16 mrtnz1955 2
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Jun '16 Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun '16 Tony 625
News Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2

Pinos Altos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pinos Altos Mortgages