Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,544
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66934 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense. It's pretty much what I've been saying all along. And to his list of religious words, I would add worship, divine, spiritual, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.
Which leads me back to my earlier views. Religion and Science are separate entities. They can be combined, imperfectly, of course (I could be a religious but still be a scientist if I follow its methods, and a scientist could study SOME aspects of religion such as the neuroscience on a biological level).

But they go off in different directions to address different questions. Science offers (and proves with the aid of a vocabulary) explanations as to "how", while religion offers a vocabulary to describe perceptions that by definition are difficult to describe scientifically, and to address questions such as purpose, which are too squishy to be operationalized by science.

Location hidden

#66935 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, read about it last night. Pot, meet Kettle :-)
My thoughts as well.

Little late for Roberston to attone*.

Probably its all about an internal power dispute anyhow. Though apparently he has knocked Ham before in the past as well.

*Is attonement one of your religious terms as well?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66936 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no problem with making fun of religion, any more than any other topic. Why must religion get a free pass?
Making fun of religion in general is an actual pastime for me.

I've even compared its adherents with mental patients, with original credit to Bill Maher.
(Consider the definition for psychosis...)

Not exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about a more one-on-one type situation.

"Your Jesus wore a dress." "You people are all idiots."

Location hidden

#66937 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points, but 2 thoughts come to mind:
1. People find things in the bible to support whatever it is they already think about something. So what come first? The backwards ways or the religion? So what's the true motivation? Religion? Or homophobia? Anti- sex in general (so that would rule out abortion and birth control)? And then are those who just don't anything to change, ever!
HEY! Thats been my view.
former res wrote:
<quoted text>2. So they vote to support the way they want things to be.
And we do the same thing. The would call us god-less and lost. We would say "practice beliefs on your own time, at home, at church." Not in public. Not in front of town hall etc.
But to them god and country go together. It's all part of the identity.(Separation of church and state be damned.)
Thats a really good point!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66938 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit I am offering reflective rationalizations - never really parsed the issue out
I would agree with COR to a point that it does depend whether you are directing it to a people or a concept. But I think intent (i.e. the emotion attached to it) also matters.
If I insult your religion, but I didnt mean to, either because you are thinner skinned, or because time has changed the standards and it is now considered insulting (i.e. PC catches up), I think that this is not the biggest sin in the world. However, if I insult your religion KNOWING I am going to insult it, then that is wrong.
In case of the prophet cartoon - I could argue that in some cases it is not meant as an insult (and in some cases it is), and standards have not changed (i.e its a standard of free speech)- however knowing that it WILL be received as an insult, then I would put this example as more as a political issue than an interpersonal issue. Its a gray area, for sure.
Very rational. Perhaps you should have considered law school.

I sometime think I should have. Good enough for Dad. First in his class.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#66939 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
On the Wednesday edition of his TV show,“The 700 Club,” Robertson indirectly implored Ham to put a sock in it, criticizing Ham’s view that the Earth is only 6,000 years old.
“Let’s face it, there was a bishop [James Ussher]… who added up the dates listed in Genesis and he came up with the world had been around for 6,000 years,” Robertson began.“There ain’t no way that’s possible … To say that it all came about in 6,000 years is just nonsense and I think it’s time we come off of that stuff and say this isn’t possible.”
“We’ve got to be realistic that the dating of Bishop Ussher just doesn’t comport with anything that’s found in science,” Robertson continued,“and you can’t just totally deny the geological formations that are out there.”
“Let’s be real,” Robertson begged,“let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/05/pat_robertson...
rabbee: well who you believe in, is your g-d/s or G-D. pick one, G-D or science?

just because a religious group, calls themselves scientist. does not mean they, do not lie and make up their own religious myths.

and actually the length, of The Torah session is 6818 years. as Adam always does, appear twice in the same Scroll. Once as both Grandpa/Grandma, and once as Grandpa and Grandma, because this is what it says in The Torah. and The G-D of Only TheTorah, never lies like all of you do about this here in IT just aaagain.

Location hidden

#66940 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Very rational. Perhaps you should have considered law school.
I sometime think I should have. Good enough for Dad. First in his class.
Most lawyers I know,(and I work often with them professionally) are unhappy with their choice of profession. Client relations, staff management, and cash flow are major issues. Law school apparently forgot to tell them they would be running a business first, and practicing law second.

Location hidden

#66941 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Making fun of religion in general is an actual pastime for me.
I've even compared its adherents with mental patients, with original credit to Bill Maher.
(Consider the definition for psychosis...)
."
The older I get, the more I learn that superficialities (i.e.things like modes of dress and outward expression) may, or may not, be connected what really goes on in one's heart. Its impossible to know from the outside. Therefore the bizarreness is really beyond the point.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66942 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
..."You people are all idiots."...
Again, this is attacking the person, not the idea. Something I typically frown upon, unless the other person did the attacking first.

Mocking religion has it uses. Look what happens when people take their religion too seriously. Violence and death because someone drew a picture of Mohammad? People need to be desensitized to the things they take offense at. They need to deal with the emotions of being offended and stop behaving like petulant children.

Location hidden

#66943 Feb 6, 2014
former res wrote:
Good points, but 2 thoughts come to mind:
1. People find things in the bible to support whatever it is they already think about something. So what come first? The backwards ways or the religion? So what's the true motivation? Religion? Or homophobia? Anti- sex in general (so that would rule out abortion and birth control)?
I think both.

There are some people that have inherent prejudices, and use religion as an excuse to justify them.(Bad people doing bad things with or without religion)

But then there is a subset of people who are genuinely good and initially devoid of such prejudices, but are compelled to support such prejudices because they are convinced by their religion that it's the right thing to do (Good people doing bad things because of religion).
former res wrote:
2. So they vote to support the way they want things to be.
And we do the same thing. The would call us god-less and lost. We would say "practice beliefs on your own time, at home, at church." Not in public. Not in front of town hall etc.
But to them god and country go together. It's all part of the identity.(Separation of church and state be damned.)
Yes, but our position is verifiably supported by the Constitution. Our position is inherently neutral. Worship whatever you want, just leave the government out of it. Of course, to Fox viewers, this translates to xtian persecution.
former res wrote:
My point is only that everyone votes their own interests.
And we, as atheists are clearly in the minority.
We could easily become a theocracy. The numbers of evangelicals is mind-boggling.
Huckabee scares the hell out of me.
I personally think their days are numbered. The younger generations are increasingly less religious, and most polls are reflecting this shift. Time will tell.

Location hidden

#66944 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Which leads me back to my earlier views. Religion and Science are separate entities. They can be combined, imperfectly, of course (I could be a religious but still be a scientist if I follow its methods, and a scientist could study SOME aspects of religion such as the neuroscience on a biological level).
But they go off in different directions to address different questions. Science offers (and proves with the aid of a vocabulary) explanations as to "how", while religion offers a vocabulary to describe perceptions that by definition are difficult to describe scientifically, and to address questions such as purpose, which are too squishy to be operationalized by science.
Science can offer us clues into why humans need/want religion.

Regarding the perceptions that you say religion helps us address, again, science can offer its take on it by claiming and studying them as manifestations of psychological or social constructs.

Likewise, regarding purpose, that is a subjective attribute we humans layer on to our existence. But, through the study of psychology, sociology, neuroscience, etc., science can attempt to understand the drive for purpose, even if none really exists. Ultimately, purpose becomes whatever we want it to be.

Location hidden

#66945 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally think their days are numbered. The younger generations are increasingly less religious, and most polls are reflecting this shift. Time will tell.
I dont think they are less religious, rather I think the younger generation is less likely to adopt the collateral BS that goes along with fundamentalist strands of religions. For example, there has been much in the news about (younger?) evangelical Christians who believe in climate change and resultant advocacy. And also those that carry no stigma about homosexuality.

Location hidden

#66946 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Science can offer us clues into why humans need/want religion.
Regarding the perceptions that you say religion helps us address, again, science can offer its take on it by claiming and studying them as manifestations of psychological or social constructs.
Likewise, regarding purpose, that is a subjective attribute we humans layer on to our existence. But, through the study of psychology, sociology, neuroscience, etc., science can attempt to understand the drive for purpose, even if none really exists. Ultimately, purpose becomes whatever we want it to be.
Sure, science can tell us something about HOW the religious impulse functions. But it has nothing to offer regarding the EXPRESSION of the religious impulse. Nor can it offer any speculation regarding the meaning or purpose of life other than on the micro-operational level. Yes, I believe evolution can explain HOW the species has differentiated, but it offers nothing as to a purpose of why we are here in the first place other than (religious?) speculation and perhaps an internal reframing of the issue to meet its vocabulary.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66947 Feb 6, 2014
former res---We give money to a few charities.How do you "give back?"

HughBe--- Friend, I never "give back" much to your disappointment.

Former---Why gender matter? Does it to you?

HughBe--- YES. It matters because women are more in need of help, speaking physically.

Former---They are: 2 widows and one elderly couple.

HughBe--- I speak from memory only, previously did you say 3 persons?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66948 Feb 6, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is why we have thousands of sects of xtianity, not to mention all the variations of all the other religions... Seems no one can come to agreement on anything.
HughBe----Robertson lacks understanding and the same for the other fellow. Also is Robbie really saying that God could not create ALL things in a SECOND or shorter? The fellow Robbie is senile.

COR---And this is why we have thousands of sects of xtianity, not to mention all the variations of all the other religions... Seems no one can come to agreement on anything.

HughBe---- Correct me if I am wrong, my memory tells me that you are either an atheist or an agnostic and if I am correct please explain your emotional,disrespectful and HATEFUL description of Christianity.

I need a couple of verses-- "Sanctify the Lord of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem." Isaiah 8

Location hidden

#66949 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think they are less religious, rather I think the younger generation is less likely to adopt the collateral BS that goes along with fundamentalist strands of religions. For example, there has been much in the news about (younger?) evangelical Christians who believe in climate change and resultant advocacy. And also those that carry no stigma about homosexuality.
But religiosity IS dropping, and not just among the fundamentalist strands.

http://tinyurl.com/d49zmd2

From the article:

"According to the global index, there has been a notable decline in religiosity worldwide.

... according to trending data, religiosity has fallen by 9 points globally since 2005 and the number of people who identify as atheist rose from 4 percent to 7 percent."
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66950 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
and so are "Judaites"
Frijoles---Swastikas are a symbol of hate.

HughBe--- Agree and so are "Jeebus" and "Xians"

Frijoles----and so are "Judaites"

HughBe--- The thing is, you are not the brightest but you know better than the BS that you have spewed out. I call members of your RELIGION Judahites in order to make the distinction between the MEMBERS of Judaism who can be either JEWS or non-Jews and BIOLOGICAL Jews.

Lesson 1---JEWS are a RACE of people or SEEDS/BIOLOGICAL descendants of a man who God called Israel.

Lesson 2-- Anyone can CONVERT to Judaism BUT no one can enter into his mother's womb and change his descent to that of a CHILD of Israel.

Lesson 3---Finally, Eric, the Jew said being Semitic has NOTHING to do with RELIGION. Connecting it for you, Jews are Semitic and it has NOTHING to do with Judaism.

In essence I do NOT want to be a part of the web of DECEPTION that is promoted by people like you and the rabbis.

Now go quickly and teach those blind dumb rabbis these TRUTHS.

Location hidden

#66951 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, science can tell us something about HOW the religious impulse functions. But it has nothing to offer regarding the EXPRESSION of the religious impulse. Nor can it offer any speculation regarding the meaning or purpose of life other than on the micro-operational level. Yes, I believe evolution can explain HOW the species has differentiated, but it offers nothing as to a purpose of why we are here in the first place other than (religious?) speculation and perhaps an internal reframing of the issue to meet its vocabulary.
Yes, but like I said, my contention is that purpose is what we humans define (either consciously or subconsciously). And science certainly CAN speculate as to how and why the brain manufactures purpose. But I agree with you that religion is a conduit of expression, even though we may only be expressing ideas and beliefs that which our own brains manufacture.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66952 Feb 6, 2014
Frijoles---Do you know what hypocritical means?

HughBe--- When I checked I saw the following meanings.

1. RABBIS
2. You and people like you
3. People who DELIBERATELY pretend e.g. not understanding when the reality is otherwise.

Location hidden

#66953 Feb 6, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe----Robertson lacks understanding and the same for the other fellow. Also is Robbie really saying that God could not create ALL things in a SECOND or shorter? The fellow Robbie is senile.
COR---And this is why we have thousands of sects of xtianity, not to mention all the variations of all the other religions... Seems no one can come to agreement on anything.
HughBe---- Correct me if I am wrong, my memory tells me that you are either an atheist or an agnostic and if I am correct please explain your emotional,disrespectful and HATEFUL description of Christianity.
I need a couple of verses-- "Sanctify the Lord of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem." Isaiah 8
HughBe: Robertson lacks understanding and the same for the other fellow. Also is Robbie really saying that God could not create ALL things in a SECOND or shorter? The fellow Robbie is senile.

COR: And this is why we have thousands of sects of xtianity, not to mention all the variations of all the other religions... Seems no one can come to agreement on anything.

HughBe: Correct me if I am wrong, my memory tells me that you are either an atheist or an agnostic and if I am correct please explain your emotional,disrespectful and HATEFUL description of Christianity...blah, blah blah...

Tell me Hugh, what part of my response was emotional,disrespectful and HATEFUL?

Is it not a fact that multiple sects of xtianity exist?

Is it not a fact that most people can't seem to come to an agreement on the nature of God, Jesus, Religion?

Seems to me you are projecting your emotions, disrespect and HATE onto other posters when you really should focus on why those attributes apply more to you than most anyone else on this forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town council approves restoration of the Silco ... Fri Tony Betterton 2
Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Fri Maybe 2
Silver City police search landfill for missing ... (Jun '11) Fri citizencares 22
Your View: Letters to the editor (April 5) (Apr '11) Jan 13 Adl 5
Silver City-Grant County TEA Party Patriots hos... (Apr '14) Jan 7 WherdaPhuckawee 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Jan 5 curli 7
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Dec 28 Simo2504 616
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 am PST

NBC Sports 3:16AM
Report: Broncos reach out to Wade Phillips with defensive coordinator needed
NBC Sports 4:09 AM
Bears add two more assistants
Bleacher Report 6:03 AM
Is Balance of Power Shifting in AFC West?
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 7:42 AM
Kubiak the Right Coach, with or Without Peyton