Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,008
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66785 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
Huggy
And in case you are wondering where the theology for Rosh Hashanah comes from
http://halakhah.com/pdf/moed/Rosh_HaShanah.pd...
scroll down to 16A
Thanks but you may recall that I gave the theology from the scriptures, see below. Also, I tend to separate theology from customs and this does not mean that there is no merit in customs but I like to keep them separate.

The holiday THEOLOGY for TRUMPETS in the Torah are below.

Step 1 (tells WHEN it must be done)--"In the seventh month, on the first day of the month"

Step 2 (HOW)--"you shall observe a day of solemn REST"

STEP 3 (HOW)---"a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation."

Step 4 (PROHIBITION)---You shall not do any ordinary work,

Step 5(HOW)--- and you shall present a food offering to the Lord.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66786 Feb 3, 2014
Forgive me, I used only Leviticus 23 in my previous post to outline biblical theology for the Day of Atonement. So, I omitted the most important part of the theology i.e. "For on that day shall the PRIEST make an ATONEMENT for you"

Observation, there are other teachings associated with the Day of Atonement and they are integral to the TEMPLE.

Finally, nothing that I have said in this post is post-biblical.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66787 Feb 3, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- It seems to me that you have a lot of bending over to do. Be careful as it could damage your backside. Is Frijoles living near to you?
It seems you have shown a lot concern on here for the backsides of men.

And then you go and try to blame it on Frijoles.

I hope you know I only want to be friends with you.

I think of you only as a brother.

Sorry. That is all I can offer you at this time, Mon.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66788 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
Huggy
And in case you are wondering where the theology for Rosh Hashanah comes from
http://halakhah.com/pdf/moed/Rosh_HaShanah.pd...
scroll down to 16A
Hey you called him Huggy! funny!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66789 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I would consider buying one if I knew with any certainty that our winters required one. The last bunch of winters have been very inconsistent - about 1 snow year out of four.
We lived for the first 13 years in a city row house - 14 feet of sidewalk in front - whole "lot" was 14 by 38 feet - 700 sq ft house. Just us and 2 dogs.

Then moved to the corner house in the burbs. In January. It snowed 3X in a row, After the 3rd time, I started checking out Consumer Reports under "snow blowers."

The 50 feet of sidewalk in front wasn't bad - it was the 100 down the side that did it!
(Plus a small, shared driveway.) Still only a 5000 sq ft lot but with a lot of sidewalk.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66790 Feb 4, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks but you may recall that I gave the theology from the scriptures, see below. Also, I tend to separate theology from customs and this does not mean that there is no merit in customs but I like to keep them separate.
The holiday THEOLOGY for TRUMPETS in the Torah are below.
Step 1 (tells WHEN it must be done)--"In the seventh month, on the first day of the month"
Step 2 (HOW)--"you shall observe a day of solemn REST"
STEP 3 (HOW)---"a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation."
Step 4 (PROHIBITION)---You shall not do any ordinary work,
Step 5(HOW)--- and you shall present a food offering to the Lord.
I guess this is the point where you need a REMINDER as to why we are conversing

You stated that reward and punishment was a dominant theology of Judaism (not of the Bible, but of Jews like me) and used Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur as examples.

My response was that the only references from the bible regarding these holidays were two commandments - shofar for Rosh Hashanah and affliicting for Yom Kippur. I followed up with source of the customs and meanings of the holidays which were not biblical but Talmudic.

The implication being two fold
1) any quotes from the bible regarding Gods nature, though potentially fascinating, were not necessarily relevant to those holidays despite your earlier citation
2) and that any theology attributed to them were not law but custom (actually they tend to be midrashic). Meaning that they are not canon. In fact they are the opposite. The theology ( the notion of book of life and death, and God as sitting on throne judging everyone) is basically a folk story (thats what midrash are).

So basically you just AGREED with my train of posts, and then (earlier) started to attack me for following the Talmud (red herring and straw argument)

Location hidden

#66791 Feb 4, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--I spoke about reward/punishment and it is to be found in the Torah.
Frijoles----When you understand the Hebrew give me a ring. Then we can talk.
HughBe--- I take that as an attempt at humour. Note, it is not necessary for me to know Hebrew in order to know that there are BLESSINGS/rewards and CURSES/punishments in the scriptures/ Torah. In addition, I believe that the English translation of the following is ACCURATE and so there is no need for me to know Hebrew. The ULTIMATE PUNISHMENT is clearly stated in relation to non-observance of the Day of Atonement.
" For any person who will not be afflicted on that very day, shall be cut off from its people." The Complete Jewish Bible.
Do you think that the rabbis mistranslated the text?
One of many contradictory passages in the Bible about the nature of God

But more importantly none of them directly linked to the Jewish High Holidays - whose theological underpinnings are widely known (and previously cited) as coming from post biblical texts.

If you want to give up on the High Holidays for a while and refocus on your argument on how Jews understand God, and more significantly, the commandments, I direct you to a book by Gillman called The Way into Encountering God in Judaism
http://www.amazon.com/Way-Into-Encountering-G... .

In that book, he methodically shows ALL the ways God is depicted in the Bible, with ALL the CONTRADICTIONS (i.e. he doesnt just cherry pick concepts like reward and punishment, rather he documents them, and then shows how God later reverses himself.)

If you prefer to FREEZE and follow just a few lines in the Bible - who am I to stop you? But dont conflate that with my religion, mon.

And definitely dont post google-able misstatements about the meanings behind my religion's holidays - thats lame at best, and devious at worst.

Location hidden

#66792 Feb 4, 2014
From the book reviews
(in case you are too intellectually lazy to follow the link)

".....This audacious exploration of the Jewish concept of God squarely faces many contradictions and conundrums....

"....Gillman surveys the more traditional images of God. He sees the development of these images as developing from a God who instantly seeks to punish sins, such as the punishment of Adam and Eve, and the punishment of Cain after killing Able, to a God who may delay or postpone punishment, to the image of God who, through repentence, cancels punishment completely, such as when the people of Nineveh repented in the book of Jonah....

".....In 4,000 years of reading, writing, and talking, Jews have imagined countless images of God. The Way into Encountering God in Judaism is an introductory survey of this imaginative tradition. Neil Gilman, a philosophy professor at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York, freely asserts that that "nothing that we human beings say about God or God's activities in the world is literally true." Given that, Gilman asserts, "To think and talk of God ... is to think and talk metaphorically. We must make our peace with that conclusion and then trace its implications." The image of God as presented in the Bible and in Jewish tradition is "a complex metaphorical system" whose main characteristics are plurality and fluidity. The metaphors change over time, as God's people come to understand God in new ways....

Location hidden

#66793 Feb 4, 2014
".....The metaphors change over time, as God's people come to understand God in new ways....

SHOCKING, SHOCKING, SHOCKING

(not)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66794 Feb 4, 2014
Frij

Your judge seems to find you mostly funny, nuts and most recently clueless.

His viewpoints seem nuanced. Either that or he just likes the pretty pictures.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#66795 Feb 4, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
What keeps this conversation from being a total snoozefest is the use of words like "sinister".
rabbee: well i already know, the end of this story we are here all in. because i know WHO, The Real AUTHOR is. and it ain't, muhammed or obama. because this world is evil and wicked, and filled with debauchers of idolatry. and refuses to consider being here, in The Only Story from G-D again.

when you teach only what men say as truth, and nothing what G-D says is true. it is all, called idolatry. if G-D had as many true believers, as obama has. this world, could be redeemed. even muhammed or the pope has more believers in them, than G-D ever had here in TheTorah again...

Location hidden

#66796 Feb 4, 2014
former res wrote:
Frij
Your judge seems to find you mostly funny, nuts and most recently clueless.
His viewpoints seem nuanced. Either that or he just likes the pretty pictures.
Its done by rote, so I think he just likes the pretty pictures. I think it is Joel. I thought it was MUQ until I saw he was judged too.

Interestingly enough my judging button hasnt worked for a few days. I dont know if Topix has the ability to turn it off (I doubt it) or some new incompatibility - maybe with my Adobe Flash. I have no problem with the reply button.

Location hidden

#66797 Feb 4, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
So man did create god? In a sense?
To revisit this:

I believe that God is real (i.e. not created by man), but man invented "Godtalk" and religion.

former res

Cheshire, CT

#66798 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Its done by rote, so I think he just likes the pretty pictures. I think it is Joel. I thought it was MUQ until I saw he was judged too.
Interestingly enough my judging button hasnt worked for a few days. I dont know if Topix has the ability to turn it off (I doubt it) or some new incompatibility - maybe with my Adobe Flash. I have no problem with the reply button.
My judging button was acting a little funny too here and there. I would go to click on it and everything would just slide out of the way. Seems better now.

All I know is you can't judge yourself. On here and perhaps also in life. Deep.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66799 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed the same thing. Not working for me either. Are you using a Chrome browser by any chance?

Location hidden

#66800 Feb 4, 2014
I LOVE peanuts!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66801 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
To revisit this:
I believe that God is real (i.e. not created by man), but man invented "Godtalk" and religion.
Although you believe that God is real, do you acknowledge that, even if he didn't, religion could still flourish, driven strictly by personal psychology and/or group sociology?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66802 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
To revisit this:
If you consider the universe/nature/everything around us to be god, then this is one thing.

But most folks who believe in god I think mean a creator, an entity with a master plan, or even an all-knowing presence who perhaps even judges us.

And some people just say, "There is something out there," and they are comfortable calling this god.

Stephen Hawking helped to show that we needed no "creator." Big bang.

Saw a fascinating film on his life on PBS the other night.

Location hidden

#66803 Feb 4, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Although you believe that God is real, do you acknowledge that, even if he didn't, religion could still flourish, driven strictly by personal psychology and/or group sociology?
I define religion as mans response to his perception of God. So religion always manmade,

What is at the root of the questioning here is whether the perception is real or not.

Location hidden

#66804 Feb 4, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider the universe/nature/everything around us to be god, then this is one thing.
But most folks who believe in god I think mean a creator, an entity with a master plan, or even an all-knowing presence who perhaps even judges us.
And some people just say, "There is something out there," and they are comfortable calling this god.
Stephen Hawking helped to show that we needed no "creator." Big bang.
Saw a fascinating film on his life on PBS the other night.
Again, you are confusing "most folks" with theism, and (arguably) probably a Christian version of theism

But as we spent much time previously, I disagree with the qualifier "most folks". Some folks. Many folks, perhaps. But not necessarily most folks.

There are A LOT of people, and a lot of Jews, who approach it from a more nondual perspective.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:49 am PST

Bleacher Report11:49AM