Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72030 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66746 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
People believe different things.
I posted "What Jews believe" including belief in god but you don't per se.
Christians also have "rules" but people believe what they believe. or not.
Some choose to take it all only as allegory, for example.
It seems you want to say the Christians are all robotic followers while Jews are thoughtful, thinking types. Christians also have free will.
Belief in some form is part of any religion or why bother with it? How about "I believe it brings me closer to humanity..."
I do believe in God. But I come from a different frame of reference as you. hence all these posts.

Didnt mean to typologize Christians. I understand there are differences, and I even have posted nondual Christian links in the past. But there are some important differences in the two religions that go beyond belief. That involve the social, i.e. the tribal covenant. AS well as priorities. These deeply affect the frame of reference, and therefore the definitions.

Location hidden

#66747 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think Jews believe god commanded the mitzvah?
Many years ago it was written. They created the god concept
then wrote that he issued commandments?
To provide a path to achieve kedosha (holiness)

My belief is that the Torah is an expression of HOW the ancestors experienced God. I.E. As humans, we have no choice but to understand it and codify it using language, but Torah itself is revelation - a process (experience). And Torah did not end with Mt Sinai - the process continues to this day.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66748 Feb 3, 2014
All good, Mr. Bean. I feel we are at peace now.

Maybe I've found god!

;)

Snowing like hell out there. More to come tomorrow night into Wednesday.

Will have to fire up ole Honda snow blower this afternoon.

I take care of the elderly neighbors' sidewalks too.

Like a good Christian!

;)

Location hidden

#66749 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
All good, Mr. Bean. I feel we are at peace now.
Maybe I've found god!
;)
Snowing like hell out there. More to come tomorrow night into Wednesday.
Will have to fire up ole Honda snow blower this afternoon.
I take care of the elderly neighbors' sidewalks too.
Like a good Christian!
;)
Not a big fan of snow today. Had to cancel all my outside work for the next two weeks or so until the next big melt. Plus its the heavy sticky stuff today.

former res

Cheshire, CT

#66750 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a big fan of snow today. Had to cancel all my outside work for the next two weeks or so until the next big melt. Plus its the heavy sticky stuff today.
You're right. This is the kind that clogs the snow blower.
OTOH not as much drifting, blowing of it. Blame that
on climate change.

Re: Chris Christie. Looking worse for him now.
At the very least guilty of bad judgment in his
hiring. Still not proven though that he had
prior knowledge. Will have to see what happens.
Still haven't heard from the woman he fired.

Re Woody Allen. At first it sounded like BS.
Now I'm not so sure. What would her motive be for
lying plus his affair with teenage adopted daughter (who
he later wed). Predict he's toast on Hollywood.
Not a bad run though.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66751 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
Not a bad run though.
Motive: Divorce, Custody Battle and Revenge for hitching up with her daughter.

Keep in mind that experts from Yale had interviewed the child and determined that no abuse had occurred.

Just food for thought. I haven't made up my mind as it seems unlikely we'll ever know beyond a reasonable doubt.

Location hidden

#66752 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. This is the kind that clogs the snow blower.
OTOH not as much drifting, blowing of it. Blame that
on climate change.
Re: Chris Christie. Looking worse for him now.
At the very least guilty of bad judgment in his
hiring. Still not proven though that he had
prior knowledge. Will have to see what happens.
Still haven't heard from the woman he fired.
Not a bad run though.
Woody Allen has been damaged goods for quite a long time already. And most significantly, IMO, his last few movies sucked.

It doesnt matter whether Christie had prior knowledge in reality. In the court of public opinion, its been decided he has. Whats going to take him down isnt Bridgegate but Sandy. Though for the life of me I cant understand why they couldnt prosecute him for terrorism from Bridgegate, They have prosecuted on less.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66753 Feb 3, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Motive: Divorce, Custody Battle and Revenge for hitching up with her daughter.
Keep in mind that experts from Yale had interviewed the child and determined that no abuse had occurred.
Just food for thought. I haven't made up my mind as it seems unlikely we'll ever know beyond a reasonable doubt.
Good motives for Mia but not necessarily for 28-year-old Dylan.

I am familiar with the background which is why I originally though it was BS.

Tim Russert's widow wrote the Vanity Fair piece.

But perception is everything. I think he's done on Hollywood and the court of public opinion.

No one important will work with him again. Just a prediction.

BTW, Mia's son Ronin (questionable who is dad is) will be new host on MSNBC. Smart guy if a little preachy. He was on the Bill Maher show this weekend. Yale law grad, Rhoades schlar. 25 I think
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66754 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Woody Allen has been damaged goods for quite a long time already. And most significantly, IMO, his last few movies sucked.
It doesnt matter whether Christie had prior knowledge in reality. In the court of public opinion, its been decided he has. Whats going to take him down isnt Bridgegate but Sandy. Though for the life of me I cant understand why they couldnt prosecute him for terrorism from Bridgegate, They have prosecuted on less.
Not damaged enough to keep stars from wanting to be in his movies or keep the public away from the box office. I think his will change now. Enough is enough.

I don't enjoy most of his movies but enjoyed "Blue Jasmine" this weekend on BluRay. Excellent casting and good watch.

Blue Jasmine received praise from the critics, particularly for Blanchett's performance; additionally, they compared the film to Tennessee Williams' play A Streetcar Named Desire.[9][10] It was a box office success, earning $94.7 million worldwide against a budget of $18 million.[11] The film has received several awards and nominations, including a Golden Globe Award win for Blanchett in the Best Actress – Drama category; as well as a SAG-AFTRA win for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama category.

US attorneys don't like to take on case unless they think they can win. What would be the possible evidence for terrorism? that we know so far that is?

I never though he would get the nominations so the only question is will he keep his current job.

The mayor lady had a credibility problem. She changed her story. She seems a bit flakey to me

Re the bridge - no real contradiction seen yet even in Wildstein's letter. If Christis is shown to have lied at the press conference (or worse) then we'll have a story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66755 Feb 3, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Good motives for Mia but not necessarily for 28-year-old Dylan.
I am familiar with the background which is why I originally though it was BS.
Tim Russert's widow wrote the Vanity Fair piece.
But perception is everything. I think he's done on Hollywood and the court of public opinion.
No one important will work with him again. Just a prediction.
BTW, Mia's son Ronin (questionable who is dad is) will be new host on MSNBC. Smart guy if a little preachy. He was on the Bill Maher show this weekend. Yale law grad, Rhoades schlar. 25 I think
It's not impossible to implant false memories in a child, but now I digress into conspiracy territory, so I'll just call it quits here ;-)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66756 Feb 3, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not impossible to implant false memories in a child, but now I digress into conspiracy territory, so I'll just call it quits here ;-)
Maybe he'll make a movie where an 80-year-old guy
confesses to something along those lines from decades ago.

It might be therapeutic for him.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66757 Feb 3, 2014
wow wrote:
Jew on Jew violence, sounds like a chicago issue of black on black violence ,why do races kill each other instead of coming together, never did make much sense?
Speaking about not making sense, you spoke about members of the SAME race or group killing each other. You then asked an unrelated question i.e. why do the races or DIFFERENT groups kill each other. The link made by you is senseless.

However, I do agree with your coming together sentiments. The fact is people are people regardless of race and the true difference between people is the degree of morality or some would say righteousness.

Location hidden

#66758 Feb 3, 2014
not sure if it is a step up, or step down, that you chose to communicate with a troll.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66759 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles---note the qualifier

HughBe--- Actually, I did note it. Tell me the % of Jews that have Jewish education beyond the 7th grade?

What is Jewish education?

Frijoles---Even better, show me in the bible where the holiday theologies come from.
Good luck with that. I'll save you time. The detailed theologies came later.

HughBe--- Don't save me time, the theologies are NOT hidden in the Tanach. Note, I cannot account for the man-made or as you have described it DETAILED theologies of Judaism. However, I can account for the God given theologies of the bible and they do have rewards and punishments. YOU should try reading the Tanach sometimes.

Research the BLESSINGS/rewards and the PUNISHMENTS that are DETAILED in the Torah.

The PUNISHMENT associated with the Day of Atonement and that is found in the Tanach reads-- "For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be CUT OFF from among his people."

The holiday THEOLOGY for TRUMPETS in the Torah are below.

Step 1 (tells WHEN it must be done)--"In the seventh month, on the first day of the month"

Step 2 (HOW)--"you shall observe a day of solemn REST"

STEP 3 (HOW)---"a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation."

Step 4 (PROHIBITION)---You shall not do any ordinary work,

Step 5(HOW)--- and you shall present a food offering to the Lord.

----------
"And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 24 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, In (D)the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall observe a day of solemn rest,(E)a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation. 25 You shall not do any ordinary work, and you shall present a food offering to the Lord.

----------
Frijoles---Almost 98% of most Jews today, those with Jewish educations that surpass 7th grade, believe or follow any of a plethora of God models that are far from the literal man in the sky that you have inherited from your Christian background.

HughBe----What a totally DISHONEST statement. It is NOT possible for 98% to do as you say when almost 50% are atheists or agnostics. In addition there are many Jews who are into Eastern religions and Christianity, a religion that for 4 centuries was regarded as a Jewish sect.

Frijoles--- And almost NONE follow mitzvot as an response to reward/punishment.

HughBe--- Are you really a Jew and more importantly a member of Judaism? Explain the lack of reward/punishment that is associated with the Rosh Hashanah and the Day of Atonement. Tell us what are the teachings associated with these festivals.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66760 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
To continue to save you time and worthless rhetorical questioning, I might add that the central mitzvot of the holidays - the central mitzvah of Rosh Hashanah (to hear the shofar) and the central mitzvah of Yom Kippur (to afflict yourself)- ARE in the primary text of the bible.
However, the holiday theologies you are referencing are not, rather they are found in the Talmud.
Which brings us back to the question, why follow those mitzvot? Or any mitzvot? The answer to that question would be subject to interpretation, and with no due respect, given your obnoxiousness, you are the LAST person I would have that discussion with.
FRijoles---However, the holiday theologies you are referencing are not, rather they are found in the Talmud

HughBe---Incorrect. I spoke about reward/punishment and it is to be found in the Torah.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66761 Feb 3, 2014
where is Virgin?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66762 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
not sure if it is a step up, or step down, that you chose to communicate with a troll.
Help me to understand the passage below by telling me who is talking to who. THANKS.

"And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?

15 And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so"
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66763 Feb 3, 2014
This is indeed a sloppy, heavy type of wet snow to deal with.

And we're expecting 6-10 more inches of it Tuesday night/Wed morning.

Huggy, you're lucky you don't have to deal with this.

Just the occasional hurricane I guess.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66764 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
View it in the way that makes you happy as you are into happiness.

I cannot only communicate with the righteous, you and company, as I am a mere mortal and therefore like the troll is not perfect.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#66765 Feb 3, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that one is a Christian if one accepts (i.e. believes) Jesus into his heart. Then behavior follows that.
Its not the same for Jews. One is not Jewish by accepting (believeing in) God. One is Jewish by accepting (i.e. behaving) the laws of Moses (halacha / mitzvot). Then belief follows that (in fact belief in God is one of many mitzvot).
rabbee: that is the wrong way to put that Frijoles. They are The Commandments of G-D, given to Moshe. the way you said it alters, TheTorah. and makes it sound like Moshe, made up the laws like muhammed did. believing that G-D, gave these Commandments to Moshe is most critical to all true belief. and jews are not obeying all, 611 + 2 commands of G-D today. and have not been, for quite some time. and to even disobey one commandment, takes away from The Whole Torah. and have robbed themselves, of all the temples dedicated to G-D. and how many times, have they robbed themselves from The Land of Yesrael? and still trying to do this today, by not being true to HaShem G-D. so just where is, their faith today? faith in other jews, makes for a very lousy g-d/s. for the true to G-D of yesteryear, did not place there faith in other jews.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... 5 hr SPAM 6
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun 11 Tiger37 1
News Armory celebrates 100 years Jun 7 my opinion 1
News Old-fashioned Fourth of July party (Jul '13) May 27 YUUUUP 4
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) May '16 CrookedHillary 57
News Man charged with murder gets probation (Aug '08) May '16 operation greylord 45
News Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pinos Altos Mortgages