Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 2,985)

Showing posts 59,681 - 59,700 of65,185
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you say that they exist in some cosmic plain?
I saw what you meant after reading the Genesis of religion.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

The science deniers will love this one......"So you mean it's cold because it's getting warmer???" Evidently, yes. Though they say the cause is still up for discussion.

The cold experienced in early January was actually a result of the polar vortex weakening, becoming warmer and therefore releasing its powerful chill beyond its normal reach through the northern climes, NOAA says.

Weather experts at NOAA said the intense cold air the U.S. has experienced is in fact a result of a warming world and increasing climate variability. While researchers cannot yet determine whether the fluctuations are a result of natural patterns or environmental effects, meteorologists can predict that parts of the U.S. will see freezing weather again in the coming days as a result of a polar vortex breakdown.

The first stops for the next wave of cold air are the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes region on Sunday, according to Weather.com . The Northern Plains to the Upper Mississippi Valley, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and Northeast will get hit by the blast on Tuesday into Thursday.

Temperatures will hover in the single digits and teens in these areas, which are 10 to 25 degrees below average for this already-chilly time of year.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/18/22...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: or trying to be a fake, head jew replacement!
From what I understand, the position of high priest was/is very lucrative.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Perhaps you can tell me why the pope wears a yarmulke. In Jewish tradition, this is not a commandment, only a custom, though a custom adopted by 100% of observant Jews.
The zucchetto began existence as the Greek pilos and is a descendant of the beret (which itself was originally a large zucchetto). It was adopted circa the Early Middle Ages, if not earlier, to keep clerics' tonsured [shaved] heads warm. Its name derives from its resemblance to half a pumpkin. Its appearance is almost identical to the Jewish kippah (yarmulke), though its significance is quite different.[3][4]

The zucchetto (/ts&#650;&#712;k& #603;to&#650;/; Italian pronunciation:[t&#865;suk &#712;ketto];[1] Italian: "small gourd", from zucca, "pumpkin",[note 1] figuratively referred to the human head[2]) is a small, hemispherical, form-fitting ecclesiastical skullcap worn by clerics of various Catholic Church rites and used by the higher clergy in Anglicanism as well as in the Eastern Orthodox Church tradition. The plural is zucchetti; it is also known by the names pilus, pilos, pileus, pileolus (pileolo), subbiretum, submitrale, soli deo ("solideo"), berettino, calotte ("calotta").[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchetto

So originally worn to keep their bald heads warm.
I wear a hat when I haven't had a shower and my hair
is messed up.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, I like that and it's probably closer to defining my own personal belief than I previously considered.
That being said, most people don't know that most of the best Superman stories were speculation about how Superman could the the Messiah and how he would both benefit and hinder the human race (Lex Luthor had some very valid points). One of my favourites is "Red Son" -- where Superman lands as a child in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas and goes on to be Stalin's successor and spreading the Communist way of life. Eventually he is defeated by the Lex Luthor (who is the US President) and then Luthor leads the world to a global renaissance which -- spoiler alert -- ends up in the far future being Krypton and the whole cycle begins again.
But, I have been painting models all morning and I might be high as a glue-sniffing cat.
I'm glad it was you rather than me to draw the parallel between religion and comic books.

If I had said it, it might have come off as condescending.

Some might mention fairly tales in the same vein.

All due respect of course.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Had some pretty lively discussions about his with the religious community. Over-emphasis on messianic prophecy leads to a lot of bad things, in my iopinion. I understand fully that it has been a central tenet of Judaism since pre-Talmudic times and something that has held us together as a people for an equally long time. However,, I'm concerned that over-emphasis on seeking the Messiah (not the concept of a Messiah itself) leads to diversion from world that is to the world that will be, poor selection criteria and cults of personality. There are lots of people out there more than willing to volunteer for the position and a lot of us stupid enough to let them take the job.
IMHO we might want to rethink the undoubtedly appealing but nevertheless potentially distracting business of waiting for the Messiah.(This is of course my own opinion and not that of Jewish Conspiracy Inc, it's holding company or subsidiaries).
I used to work with a guy who couldn't possibly have been more miserable in his life, on so many levels.

He claimed he didn't care because "this life doesn't matter and all will be different and better in the next life."

It was something for him to hold onto. He ended up going out on disability for psychological, stress-related causes.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Religion has been debunked long ago.
Why would a non-believer frequent this forum?

:))

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Those couple of quotes of Devarim,(one of the Moses' books) from the link talks about the end of the days rather than the jewish concept of Messiah that you were referring to.
In Jewish theology its the same process. Thats what I said before.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The zucchetto began existence as the Greek pilos and is a descendant of the beret (which itself was originally a large zucchetto). It was adopted circa the Early Middle Ages, if not earlier, to keep clerics' tonsured [shaved] heads warm. Its name derives from its resemblance to half a pumpkin. Its appearance is almost identical to the Jewish kippah (yarmulke), though its significance is quite different.[3][4]
The zucchetto (/ts&#650;&#712;k& #603;to&#650;/; Italian pronunciation:[t&#865;suk &#712;ketto];[1] Italian: "small gourd", from zucca, "pumpkin",[note 1] figuratively referred to the human head[2]) is a small, hemispherical, form-fitting ecclesiastical skullcap worn by clerics of various Catholic Church rites and used by the higher clergy in Anglicanism as well as in the Eastern Orthodox Church tradition. The plural is zucchetti; it is also known by the names pilus, pilos, pileus, pileolus (pileolo), subbiretum, submitrale, soli deo ("solideo"), berettino, calotte ("calotta").[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchetto
If the Catholics want to wear a gourd on their head, who am I to make fun of them?

Though I suspect a streimel would be more snazzy

https://www.google.com/search...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad it was you rather than me to draw the parallel between religion and comic books.
You do realize that many of the early Comic books were created by young Jews who stumbled into the fact that pop culture offered a decent market for an adaption of their traditional lore and themes. Sci-Fi as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
The science deniers will love this one......"So you mean it's cold because it's getting warmer???" Evidently, yes. Though they say the cause is still up for discussion.
The cold experienced in early January was actually a result of the polar vortex weakening, becoming warmer and therefore releasing its powerful chill beyond its normal reach through the northern climes, NOAA says.
Weather experts at NOAA said the intense cold air the U.S. has experienced is in fact a result of a warming world and increasing climate variability. While researchers cannot yet determine whether the fluctuations are a result of natural patterns or environmental effects, meteorologists can predict that parts of the U.S. will see freezing weather again in the coming days as a result of a polar vortex breakdown.
The first stops for the next wave of cold air are the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes region on Sunday, according to Weather.com . The Northern Plains to the Upper Mississippi Valley, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and Northeast will get hit by the blast on Tuesday into Thursday.
Temperatures will hover in the single digits and teens in these areas, which are 10 to 25 degrees below average for this already-chilly time of year.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/18/22...
A lot of that can be explained by the notion that "global warming" is kind of a misnomer. Its "climate change", and the basic idea is that much of the world will be subject to a higher frequency of temp extremes and larger magnitude storm events (along with the higher AVERAGE temperatures).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a non-believer frequent this forum?
:))
Benghazi!!!
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Catholics want to wear a gourd on their head, who am I to make fun of them?
Though I suspect a streimel would be more snazzy
https://www.google.com/search...
Yikes! Now that's a hat.

I prefer one of my baseball caps.

Usually the Ocracoke (NC) one or the Martha's Vineyard one I got this summer. Guess I like islands.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that many of the early Comic books were created by young Jews who stumbled into the fact that pop culture offered a decent market for an adaption of their traditional lore and themes. Sci-Fi as well.
Absolutely.

And I don't think it matters much which came first. Do you?

Much easier to share a message if you can entertain the folks at the same time.

Which goes back to my original point.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Comic books allow us to (frequently) speculate into theological and philosophical issues without offending anyone's religious sensibilities. I'm not the first to draw parallels between Suiperman and The Jewish Messiah.

It's no coincidence that many of the great comic artists and writers (including the creators of Superman) were Jewish.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely.
And I don't think it matters much which came first. Do you?
Much easier to share a message if you can entertain the folks at the same time.
Which goes back to my original point.
Myth is myth, regardless of its trappings, and being myth doesnt detract from its value. Myth provides a structure to derive deeper layers of meanings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Comic books allow us to (frequently) speculate into theological and philosophical issues without offending anyone's religious sensibilities. I'm not the first to draw parallels between Suiperman and The Jewish Messiah.
It's no coincidence that many of the great comic artists and writers (including the creators of Superman) were Jewish.
What comes to mind is the incantation "Abra Cadbabra", a totally "nonoffensive" declaration of magic.

Which, unknown to most, is just Hebrew for "I create as I speak", in most likelihood derived directly from Kaballa (Jewish mysticism), and undoubtably shared by many other world mysticisms as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes! Now that's a hat.
I prefer one of my baseball caps.
Usually the Ocracoke (NC) one or the Martha's Vineyard one I got this summer. Guess I like islands.
http://www.mywesternwall.net/2013/05/06/the-s...

The Shtreimel Where is it From? Poles or Mongols?

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What comes to mind is the incantation "Abra Cadbabra", a totally "nonoffensive" declaration of magic.
Which, unknown to most, is just Hebrew for "I create as I speak", in most likelihood derived directly from Kaballa (Jewish mysticism), and undoubtably shared by many other world mysticisms as well.
Is it surprising that so many non-Jews attribute magical powers to the Jews? They've been trying to wipe us out for millennia and we're still here, bigger than ever. The Penn and Teller of ethnic groups.

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.mywesternwall.net/2013/05/06/the-s...
The Shtreimel Where is it From? Poles or Mongols?
I'm sorry, but there is now and will always be only ONE cool hat for the remainder of time.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/xara...

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 59,681 - 59,700 of65,185
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pinos Altos Discussions

Search the Pinos Altos Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Community education classes continue in April Fri Carrie Nation 2
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Apr 17 Joe 221
No charges yet in deadly shooting (May '11) Apr 17 Silver 11
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Apr 17 Silver 43
New Mexico to receive new veterans cemeteries Apr 16 all well 1
Silver City-Grant County TEA Party Patriots hos... Apr 5 Jackie 1
Santa Clara Police Officer Arrested (Feb '12) Apr 4 Peon 16
•••

Fire Weather Watch for Grant County was issued at April 20 at 2:20PM MDT