Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,615
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#65981 Jan 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Noted.
Observation, the laws of MOST countries disagree with you and call it WRONG.
Who determines wrong? What is wrong?
So? At one point, the laws of most nations supported slavery, too

#65982 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I believe in non-violence? I'm no hippy, I like violence.
That being said, I'm not so big on terrorist hunting. They taste awful and their hides are useless
You aren't supposed to eat them, you just bag them for their heads for the mantle...

#65983 Jan 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Chill, doofus. Both you and I know that I was posting well before 9 PM last night. Last time I checked, New years was at midnight. Besides, truthfully, its not my holiday anyhow. real New Years was back in September, and again coming up on the 15th for round two.
You could just celebrate all of them: Celtic (31October), Jewish (floating - September-ish), Western (1 January) and Chinese (floating - end of Jan beginning of Feb). And doesn't that bring you up to the time for Purim?
:)

#65984 Jan 15, 2014
Well, I managed to get through about half of the posts posted since mid December. Tomorrow, it is back to page 2941 and the posts from 3 January and forward.

See ya!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65985 Jan 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Grobin - never heard of him. Looked him up on wiki and still never heard of him.
Huey Lewis is still around, lol? I didnt even recognize Meatloaf.
Huey Lewis was that guy who I knew but couldn't quite put my finger on!

And I totally missed the Loaf - will have to take another look at it.

Ever hear of Michael Buble? He's the Josh Gobin of this decade! Kind of like Michael Bolton was years ago I guess. Eaaassssssy listening.

I'm more a progressive rock guy!(Though last two concerts were Alice Cooper and John Fogerty...)

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#65986 Jan 15, 2014
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
While hares are seen as symbols of fertility, they don't really have a part in the "liturgy" per se. Santa is purely xian, invented for commercial reasons. It was an ad for Coke, IIRC...
Au contraire, the image of "Santa" -- a Saint -- has been around for a long time. He's been part of the Xtian rebranding of Saturnalia since 1600 or befor (I'm pretty sure that even predates the Coca Cola Corporation -- citation needed).

St Nicholas, Sinterklaas, Tomte, Father Xmas ... all incarnation of the same person. Like Doctor Who with a sleigh instead of a TARDIS.

The good folks at Coca Cola have been using his image since the '20s and have probably done more to canonize his image as the morbidly obese, flamboyantly dressed, elf molester that we have come to know and love. But, they didn't invent him or his likeness.

Location hidden

#65987 Jan 15, 2014
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't supposed to eat them, you just bag them for their heads for the mantle...
And you don't typically need a permit to hunt varmints.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65988 Jan 15, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Stein is a creationist (of the intelligent design variety). The "documentary" is complaining about how Intelligent Design is not being taught in schools as a viable, alternative scientific theory, alongside evolutionary theory.
From wiki...
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is a 2008 documentary film directed by Nathan Frankowski and hosted by Ben Stein.[2][3] The film contends that the mainstream science establishment suppresses academics who believe they see evidence of intelligent design in nature and who criticize evidence supporting Darwinian evolution and the modern evolutionary synthesis as a "scientific conspiracy to keep God out of the nation's laboratories and classrooms."[4][5] The scientific theory of evolution is portrayed by the film as contributing to fascism, the Holocaust, communism, atheism, and eugenics.[6][7] The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue.
I'm confused.

".....The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue. "

How can he say Intelligent Design is "motivated by science" if he doesn't trust scientists?

Location hidden

#65989 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
".....The film portrays intelligent design as motivated by science, rather than religion, though it does not give a detailed definition of the phrase or attempt to explain it on a scientific level. Other than briefly addressing issues of irreducible complexity, Expelled examines it as a political issue. "
How can he say Intelligent Design is "motivated by science" if he doesn't trust scientists?
The design might have been intelligent -- but anyone who has spent more than five minutes on Topix can tell you the execution of that design most certainly wasn't.

G-d should never has outsourced his design to biochemistry.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65990 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more a progressive rock guy!(Though last two concerts were Alice Cooper and John Fogerty...)
I was so excited when I found Yes on Spotify - havent listened to them for 20 years or more - but then I never got around to listening to the tracks, so finally I just deleted them from my playlists...

you probably already read this about Alice Cooper (we might be going around in circles)- but just in case..
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142...

Location hidden

#65991 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of Michael Buble? He's the Josh Gobin of this decade! Kind of like Michael Bolton was years ago I guess. Eaaassssssy listening.
I think I miss out on a lot of this because I generally avoid dentist office waiting rooms and elevators.

Michael Bolton used to (or still does) live in Westport, a few houses down from a friend of mine.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#65992 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
Perhaps he considers theologians to be trustworthy "scientists".

Hey, no one ever said these guys were consistent or made any sense. Religion tends to cloud their judgement.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#65993 Jan 15, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused.
What does motivated by science mean?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#65994 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
The design might have been intelligent -- but anyone who has spent more than five minutes on Topix can tell you the execution of that design most certainly wasn't.
G-d should never has outsourced his design to biochemistry.
I'm surprised God didn't oversee the execution of his design considering how much of a micromanager he was during the periods covered by the Old Testament. That's just lazy if you asked me.

I see he's also taken a more hands off approach these days. Perhaps like everyone else, he's outsourcing to India.

Location hidden

#65995 Jan 15, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
What does motivated by science mean?
Its obvious to the rest of us what that means.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#65996 Jan 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Its obvious to the rest of us what that means.
What that means then?

Location hidden

#65997 Jan 15, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm surprised God didn't oversee the execution of his design considering how much of a micromanager he was during the periods covered by the Old Testament. That's just lazy if you asked me.
I see he's also taken a more hands off approach these days. Perhaps like everyone else, he's outsourcing to India.
As someone who has actively worked in outsourcing work to India -- I can tell you that G-d, like most everyone else, is most probably regretting his decision.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#65998 Jan 15, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who has actively worked in outsourcing work to India -- I can tell you that G-d, like most everyone else, is most probably regretting his decision.
So He should start dismantling.....beginning with you?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#66000 Jan 15, 2014
HUGH: Please I am not a believer so make me one by telling the greatest of yogis to confirm your assertion on live television for the entire world to see. The world will have an interest in it. The media would love the revenues generated. The scientists would have an interest.

JOEL: The last truly great Yogis in full public glare were Sri Aurobindo and the Mother - they could execute all those yogic feats of bypassing the brain and the sense organs. A feeble connection is retained with the body energy field so as to facilitate re-entry into the body and to prevent the body from decaying.

In fact Sri Aurobindo lived in a state of existence above the head by which I mean his energy field with its inherent consciousness withdrew itself from the brain and stationed itself in a force field above the head.

They drew towards themselves thousands of seekers mainly Jews and Christians from the West including scientists who were fully satisfied with the great supramental yoga of Aurobindo and the Mother with visible manifestations and far reaching effects that were documented. Most the disciples of the ashram themselves began experiencing numerous Psi phenomena including the descent of the Force etc. Read the talks with the Mother by a French disciple who gave himself an Indian name, Satprem. It's on the net.

Another great Yogi who lived at the same time was Sri Ramanna who was accessible to people including scientists who were his followers.

To get a beginner's glimpse into yogic phenomena, read An Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda - a minor yogi himself.

Most great yogis shun the limelight and even those like Aurobindo who were out in the open never sought publicity.

Some years ago, the Times of India ran a report of a minor Yogi who was tested by doctors after he claimed to have abstained from food, rest, medication and excretion for 66 years. The team of doctors were apparently satisfied with his claims after the testing.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#66001 Jan 15, 2014
Where're you, dear blackberry?

(smiles)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Nov 21 savant 40
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov 7 Realist 615
Hearing set for teen who allegedly shot father ... (Jan '11) Oct 29 Circe 6
Mimbres area Oct '14 Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct '14 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct '14 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct '14 yankeedudell 47
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:15 am PST

NBC Sports11:15AM
Weekend Preview: Can Chiefs bounce back in Week 13?
NBC Sports11:36 AM
No practice for Larry Fitzgerald on Wednesday
Yahoo! Sports 4:12 PM
Moore makes comeback from life-threatening injury
NBC Sports 4:37 PM
Cardinals look to revive offense against Falcons - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 4:50 PM
Week 13 Rankings