Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,255
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65628 Jan 11, 2014
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
To make the distinction (given matthew 28:17-19 where jesus is revered as a god)
And some say it's a messianic custom, kind of acknowledging Ha-Shem and not jesus as god. Though i never got to understand the ratio behind that custom. Given that christians in general borrow verses willy-nilly to substantiate the gospel.
A form of respect. But that would in christian terms also be served by using the term 'father'.
"So why write G-d and not God?"

I answered that question already, I think FR missed the post, and Hughe, in usual fashion is oblivious even if I did answer it.

There is no traditional (i.e. halachic) prohibition against writing God. The custom of writing it as a G-d instead of God is a modern custom. The traditional view is that you can write God because God is not the name of "God" - i.e. its an English, not a Hebrew term.

However, some Jews follow the modern custom as if it is a traditional prohibition anyway.

I believe the rationale in that case is the same "as if" God was the name of God (i.e they are extending the Hebrew concept to English), and that if you spell it out and it becomes discarded on paper, it is the same as desecration (which is the primary reason why you dont spell it out in Hebrew). Therefore, to be safe, those Jews dont take the risk of writing it. Speaking the English word God is not desecration (i,e, no act of destructing the name) so it doesnt matter if you speak it.

That said, it is usually not my "modern" custom to write God, I follow the tradition which does not apply to the English for the above reasons. However, there are Jews here that do follow the modern custom. Its an individual choice, I guess, whether you extend the traditional prohibition to include the English word and make it a modern custom as well.

Location hidden

#65629 Jan 11, 2014
correction

That said, it is usually not my "modern" custom to write it as G-d,
usually I prefer to write it as God.(unless I am communicating directly to someone who I know uses the form G-d, and then I might write G-d out of respect of their beliefs).
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65630 Jan 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I give up!
But I will try again. The nicknames CAN be spelled, and they CAN be spoken.
Pretend your name is Joe. I cant say or spell Joe. But I can call you Leroy. And I can spell out Leroy. Leroy is my term of endearment for Joe (i.e. my nickname for Joe).
It does appear we're going in circles....so here goes again anyway:

1. We agree that God is a nickname.
2. We agree that it CAN be spelled and/or spoken.

My original question remains (and perhaps you cannot answer it, which I would gladly accept):

Several posters on this forum choose to NOT spell out the word God - they write G-d.
Why? I'm certain they speak the word on a regular basis.
This strikes me as inconsistent. Why "encrypt" one and not the other?

You've clearly indicated there is no rule such as this in the scripture/rulebook (as applies to nicknames for the deity). Correct?

I hope at the very least this clears up my question.....

(What do you think the Jamaican is up to on his Sabbath?)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65631 Jan 11, 2014
HughBe wrote:
HughBe--- I love being GAY and I would NEVER change my nationality.
At least we have this out in the open !!

While you may enjoy and celebrate your own gayness, you do not tolerate it in others.

You also deny the spoken language of your own people.

You wrote "mon" on this forum, yet you deny it is said by your fellow Jamaicans.

This makes no sense.

Location hidden

#65632 Jan 11, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
It does appear we're going in circles....so here goes again anyway:
1. We agree that God is a nickname.
2. We agree that it CAN be spelled and/or spoken.
My original question remains (and perhaps you cannot answer it, which I would gladly accept):
Several posters on this forum choose to NOT spell out the word God - they write G-d.
Why? I'm certain they speak the word on a regular basis.
This strikes me as inconsistent. Why "encrypt" one and not the other?
You've clearly indicated there is no rule such as this in the scripture/rulebook (as applies to nicknames for the deity). Correct?
I hope at the very least this clears up my question.....
(What do you think the Jamaican is up to on his Sabbath?)
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/judaism/T...

like I said, some have extended the Hebrew tradition (law) to the English. I dont, but some do. For the reasons in the above post. The same reasons as to the Hebrew tradition, just extended to apply to English too.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65634 Jan 11, 2014
HUGH,

Since you're so hooked on the words "sin", "sinners" and "divine retribution" (whatever these meaningless terms may mean to you), kindly answer the following question.

QUESTION:

Why is it that nothing visibly bad happens to big-time criminals like corrupt politicians, autocratic kings, religious figureheads preaching intolerance and hatred, blood and scam billionaires, terrorist masterminds, intel chiefs, drug lords, human traffickers, human sacrificers and other perverts?

Location hidden

#65635 Jan 11, 2014
HUGH,

Why is it that the poor people suffer the most during natural calamities, wars, economic crash, riots and epidemics?

Location hidden

#65636 Jan 11, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
HUGH,
Since you're so hooked on the words "sin", "sinners" and "divine retribution" (whatever these meaningless terms may mean to you), kindly answer the following question.
QUESTION:
Why is it that nothing visibly bad happens to big-time criminals like corrupt politicians, autocratic kings, religious figureheads preaching intolerance and hatred, blood and scam billionaires, terrorist masterminds, intel chiefs, drug lords, human traffickers, human sacrificers and other perverts?
What profit hath man of all his labour wherein he laboureth under the sun?

Location hidden

#65637 Jan 11, 2014
HUGH,

In most religious scriptures poverty is glorified while harsh criticism is heaped on the accumulation of great wealth and the leading of a lavish lifestyle - why is this so?

Is it a "sin" to be rich and to spend lavishly on material comforts?

Location hidden

#65638 Jan 11, 2014
HUGH:

Shouldn't this creature called G-d be wisely governing his creation that he supposedly created from nothing and so why isn't there "divine intervention" in world affairs that are so unjust, violent, cruel, manipulative, damaging to the ecosystem and harmful to the poor sections of the population who constitute the vast majority of people in the world?

Location hidden

#65639 Jan 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

What profit hath man of all his labour wherein he laboureth under the sun?
Human thoughts, words and deeds sink into the subconscious from where they add to or subtracts from the evolution of the individual's consciousness.

However, if the human will is potent and if the individual's mind, emotions and body are resilient and tuned in to the powerful will then even adverse karma do not upset the driving force in the individual's being and so devolutionary effects or potentially harmful waves of vibration generated by bad karma can be nullified to a great extent and the person's evolution based on positive instincts can continue largely unhindered.

On death, the disembodied force field of such a person maintains its stability and evolutionary urge.

This mechanism as described above explains why those person possessing these superior inborn qualities are in many ways immune to suffering despite indulging in certain bad karma of a serious nature. Nothing really bad happens to them during earthly life or in the disembodied state, as explained above.

The survival of the fittest is the natural law.

The weak and inefficient, no matter how virtuous they may be, have no place in the world and suffer a lot during their earthly existence and the same suffering follows them in the disembodied state since their force fields are weak, unbalanced and easily subject to suffering.

This is the logical conclusion one reaches based on close observation of people which of course is directly perceived through the yogic consciousness.

Location hidden

#65640 Jan 11, 2014
It 5:33 am, here. Going out for a jog. Later.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#65641 Jan 11, 2014
There's nothing like divine retribution.

Location hidden

#65642 Jan 11, 2014
Adverse karma can be nullified to a large extent by the application of a potent will (on the subconscious) that's supported by a resilient mental, emotional and physical basis. This ensures the stability and further evolution of the driving force organizing the individual's being.

Location hidden

#65643 Jan 11, 2014
Divine intervention is a myth.

Location hidden

#65644 Jan 11, 2014
At the most, an individual sorcerer may harm a person out of revenge or due to egoism.

Location hidden

#65645 Jan 11, 2014
YOU ARE THE ARCHITECT OF YOUR DESTINY:

1) You are an individualized formation of the universe energies and so you are responsible for charting out your own life based on heredity, application of will and karma.

2) If you happen to closely tune in to the energy formations of other persons or of external nature or of the higher frequencies of the universal consciousness-energy field then the manner these impact your driving force will depend on your aspiration, receptivity, assimilation, retention and adaptability to these invasions.

3) Best is to largely stay within your own force field (provided it is strong enough to sustain your progress and if it has the capacity to keep sufferings at bay), to cultivate a strong will supported by resilient mental, emotional and physical capacities and to aspire only for those force formations that bring greater strength, greater progress and greater stability in your being that add to the capacity of your driving force. As far as possible, avoid disturbing vibrations or disturbing force formations outside of you.

Bye.

Location hidden

#65646 Jan 11, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Human thoughts, words and deeds sink into the subconscious from where they add to or subtracts from the evolution of the individual's consciousness.
However, if the human will is potent and if the individual's mind, emotions and body are resilient and tuned in to the powerful will then even adverse karma do not upset the driving force in the individual's being and so devolutionary effects or potentially harmful waves of vibration generated by bad karma can be nullified to a great extent and the person's evolution based on positive instincts can continue largely unhindered.
On death, the disembodied force field of such a person maintains its stability and evolutionary urge.
This mechanism as described above explains why those person possessing these superior inborn qualities are in many ways immune to suffering despite indulging in certain bad karma of a serious nature. Nothing really bad happens to them during earthly life or in the disembodied state, as explained above.
The survival of the fittest is the natural law.
The weak and inefficient, no matter how virtuous they may be, have no place in the world and suffer a lot during their earthly existence and the same suffering follows them in the disembodied state since their force fields are weak, unbalanced and easily subject to suffering.
This is the logical conclusion one reaches based on close observation of people which of course is directly perceived through the yogic consciousness.
I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine, that feeds among the lilies.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65647 Jan 11, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/judaism/T...
like I said, some have extended the Hebrew tradition (law) to the English. I dont, but some do. For the reasons in the above post. The same reasons as to the Hebrew tradition, just extended to apply to English too.
I think the whole nickname thing threw is off the track.

I should have focused on this from one of your earlier posts:

"However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better."

This explains the difference in treatment of the word, written vs spoken.

Location hidden

#65650 Jan 11, 2014
I will be busy today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:28 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:28AM