Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,285
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
CTM

Southbury, CT

#65505 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a bit off topic from the subject of grants for published science. What you are talking about is consulting, which is a whole other can of worms. Those "studies" are not peer reviewed or published in journals - they are tailored to regulatory authorities and the general public to put the client in the most favorable light.
As of N Stamford, the problem IS pesticides, but, as we found out in LI last decade, cancer clusters are not so easy to explain when subject to statistical analyses. The lesson learned from N stamford was not that the town was contaminated (we all knew that) but that similar contamination is more common than we think statewide. I.E. what happened in the Town wasnt much different than what happened every else - just that noone thought to test everywhere else for the same contaminants.
I fail to see what Blumenthal has to do with any of this. I think you are overreaching a bit on that one.
..........When blumenthal first took office he touted himself as the "Environmental A.G." He lied big time. The suit he was given that had many years of work done by the courts including several Judges Decisions, ended up being transferred to another court and then he pulled not onlt that suit but a lot of other ones for the dumpers. He let them get away clean. One of the 24 sites on just that one suit is in newtown at 48 Birch Hill Rd. The town changed the owners name and the street address to hide the fact that about 15,000 cubic yards of demolition debris, radio-active medical waste and asbestos is buried there. They just sold the house at auction for taxes and someone is renovating it for sale or rental. The state and town show water tests, drinking water tests, to show no detect on lead and God knows what else.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65506 Jan 9, 2014
(wink wink whistles)

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#65507 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. What I was referring to was grant sponsored research, involving stat testing, subject to peer review, and published in a credible professional journal. Not "applied" research as you are alluding to.
rabbee: almost all grant sponsored research, involves the advanced forefront of science and technology. universities, colleges, and national labs all receive grant currencies. even individuals, can apply for grants. and the bureaucracy and politicians, determine whether there is a peer review or not. they are in control of almost all the research currency in the united states. i do not care how good of an idea, someone has. if it is not for studying the sex life, of a butterfly you lose. you do not have a scientific panel, to determine where the grant money goes. personally i think, the bureaucracy and politicians should be removed from the process. there is a problem when you have non-scientists, telling scientists what is not important to them.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#65508 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a bit off topic from the subject of grants for published science. What you are talking about is consulting, which is a whole other can of worms. Those "studies" are not peer reviewed or published in journals - they are tailored to regulatory authorities and the general public to put the client in the most favorable light.
As of N Stamford, the problem IS pesticides, but, as we found out in LI last decade, cancer clusters are not so easy to explain when subject to statistical analyses. The lesson learned from N stamford was not that the town was contaminated (we all knew that) but that similar contamination is more common than we think statewide. I.E. what happened in the Town wasnt much different than what happened every else - just that noone thought to test everywhere else for the same contaminants.
I fail to see what Blumenthal has to do with any of this. I think you are overreaching a bit on that one.
rabbee: yes i know about, the manipulation of data. even if you example is not precisely what is being discussed. the basic theme is the same, for research grants. it does happen, when the desired results are not what was observed. so the boundary line, is moved. they did this with mercury contaminated wheat, back in the 1960's with more immediate disastrous results.

but pesticides, are really nasty stuff. basically most are the precursor, to nerve gases. with them being just one or two elements, shy of being actual nerve gas.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65509 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>First, the tradition relates to how you write, not how you speak. Its not about what God thinks or doesnt think about you. Its about setting a tone within yourself when encountering the subject - Note when you call someone Mr Smith rather than Jim has a different effect on your personal attitude. Now, whether you WANT to develop an attitude of respect or worship is a different question - I suspect you do not, but to those people who are religious, its desired and part of the path.....
I do understand how it would set a different (more respectful) tone - but also wonder why it would apply to the written but not the spoken word.

Then again, the rules (custom) for the written word tend to be a bit more formal than for speaking.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65510 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come
Corporation teeshirt, stupid bloody Tuesday
Man you been a naughty boy. You let your face grow long
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo goo joob
Cool! Great reference.
Max

Silver Spring, MD

#65511 Jan 9, 2014
Words and names mean little unless you stand up for Israel which is being demonized by the haters , terrorists and their vocal supporters.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#65512 Jan 9, 2014
Max wrote:
Words and names mean little unless you stand up for Israel which is being demonized by the haters , terrorists and their vocal supporters.
List the haters e.g. by country, group or leading individuals. Also support your words "Israel which is being demonized "

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65513 Jan 9, 2014
CTM wrote:
<quoted text>..........When blumenthal first took office he touted himself as the "Environmental A.G." He lied big time. The suit he was given that had many years of work done by the courts including several Judges Decisions, ended up being transferred to another court and then he pulled not onlt that suit but a lot of other ones for the dumpers. He let them get away clean. One of the 24 sites on just that one suit is in newtown at 48 Birch Hill Rd. The town changed the owners name and the street address to hide the fact that about 15,000 cubic yards of demolition debris, radio-active medical waste and asbestos is buried there. They just sold the house at auction for taxes and someone is renovating it for sale or rental. The state and town show water tests, drinking water tests, to show no detect on lead and God knows what else.
I wouldnt know about such matters, however, it would seem that if you have concerns, there are a few environmental groups who have the ability and experience to sue the state - why dont you bring your concerns to them?

Location hidden

#65514 Jan 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand how it would set a different (more respectful) tone - but also wonder why it would apply to the written but not the spoken word.
Then again, the rules (custom) for the written word tend to be a bit more formal than for speaking.
It does apply to the spoken word but not in the way the poster framed the question. God is an English term, and as such, not that relevant to an orthodox Jew. What matters are the Hebrew names, and there are a few dozen nicknames of God that vary from intimate to the formal (depending how for the moment what type of tone that you want to address "him"), however the actual name of God, the tetragrammaton, is considered too sacred to speak - plus noone knows how it is pronounced anyhow - we lost that info thousands of years ago.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

Furthermore, here is another perspective on writing Gods name: A more legal explanation (vs my more psychological explanation)

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Writing the Name of God

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form. Orthodox rabbis have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God online: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Location hidden

#65515 Jan 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool! Great reference.
All my life until a year or two ago I thought they were singing coo coo ca choo!

Not - goo goo go chub!
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#65516 Jan 9, 2014
Maxi, here is one of your HATERS of Israel.

Listen well to who he is from the very start of the video. Listen to words like ORTHODOX Jew and Zionist etc.

Listen to his friends etc.

Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#65517 Jan 9, 2014
Genocide: The Vanishing Christian Communities of the Middle East

By Dr. Guy Bechor
(Translation from Hebrew: Avishai Zonnenberg, Arik Klein)

The numbers are truly staggering: In Iraq of 2003, until the fall of Sadam Hussein, there were 1.5 million Christians, but today there are only 250,000, that means that 1.25 million have migrated, killed or been forced to become Muslims. In Syria of just three years ago there were 1.75 million Christians, out of whom 450,000 have already left, and the rate of the ethnic cleansing is only growing.

This means that by the end of this decade there will be no more Christian Arabs in the Levant meaning the northern east of the Middle East. In the space that is becoming “Salafi” and violent, there is no place for the Christian Arabs, and they are being forcedly exiled.

This phenomenon is happening in full force at the Palestinian Authority, and if in Bethlehem there where once 90% Christians, today it is already 65% Muslims. The tradition is that the mayor is Christian despite the Muslim majority, but the female mayor is facing harsh persecution, including by the “Fatah” movement.

The day in which there will be no more Christian Arabs in the Palestinian authority is getting close, and according to estimates there are only a few tens of thousands left. In the day to day of the Hamas, Salafis and the Jihad, they have no existence, and they migrate, many to South America, where they already have large communities.

In Hamas's Gaza, out of 2,500 Christians there are only few hundreds left, the rest have escaped or have been forced to become Muslims. If one day there will be an independent “Palestinian” territory, the Christians will be the first to pay the price, especially after the Salafis will start to take over the control there, and it is only a matter of time, as it is in the entire Middle East.

The Christian were promoted at the National Arab Movement, they were the leaders of the Pan-Arab movement; with the Hamas they were tolerated, but the Salafis are brutally exterminating them. In the Shari'a ruled state, the Christians have no place.
Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#65518 Jan 9, 2014
In Egypt nearly nine million are Coptic Christians (one tenth), and the estimate is that a quarter of a million have already migrated since the fall of Mubarak, and the rest are suffering persecutions, murders, violence, robbery and looting. They are in grave condition, and the reality is that there are no consequences for hurting them.

In Lebanon there are still about one million Christians (according to a survey published this year), but they are in deep despair, some of them are under the protection of the Shiite Hezbollah state. Do they really have any hope?

Oddly, in a year when the Pope is elected “Man of the Year,” there is no cry about the amazing ethnic cleansing being done to his flock, as well as nothing from the west. United State has murmured something, and that was it.

As for Israel this silence has few conclusions: while the new anti-Semites are busy condemning Israel, proposing resolutions and banning Israel, they are saying nothing about the real massacre and the forced exile taking place here, there is no limit for the hypocrisy. Where are the human rights movements, in the face of this Christians free Middle East being created here?

The second conclusion is for us in Israel: this silence is a warning that if G-d forbids Israel will one day be weakened, the extremists will do us much worse, and no one in the world would really help. In the violent and Salafi Middle East, there is no place for Christians, which did not know how to prepare on time, or the Jews.

Luckily for the latter in the Jewish state they are strong and deterring, now it is clear how important it is to have a Jewish state, as the only place in the Middle East left, that is not Muslim.

Now a word for the Christian communities around the world: if one day the sovereignty over the holy places in Jerusalem will be held solely by the Palestinian Authority, in a short time the religious war that is taking place in the entire Arab world will erupt here as well, and neither Jews nor Christians will be allowed access anymore to their holly sites, as it is happening in Syria, in the places sacred for the Christians.

Only under Jewish sovereignty the freedom of religion will be kept, and the proof is – only in one place in the entire Middle East do the Christian Arabs get freedom of religion as well as equality, and that is in Israel, and so for the first time, we see young Christian Arab citizens, wanting to join in alliance with the Jewish State. They already know that no one will be waiting for them out there, in the cold Christian winter.

Fuck stinking islam
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65519 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It does apply to the spoken word but not in the way the poster framed the question. God is an English term, and as such, not that relevant to an orthodox Jew....

Ok - but still.

An orthodox Jew can't WRITE God, but he can speak the name God.

Either the English name should matter or it shouldn't.

Can you see our confusion?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65520 Jan 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
All my life until a year or two ago I thought they were singing coo coo ca choo!
Not - goo goo go chub!
I know! Me too!

Sitting on a what??

Had to look up the lyrics - though maybe you were just making shxt up!(Just like G-d only with an x!)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65521 Jan 9, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Maxi, here is one of your HATERS of Israel.
Listen well to who he is from the very start of the video. Listen to words like ORTHODOX Jew and Zionist etc.
Listen to his friends etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qMGuYjt6CP8XX
What are you wearing? Mon.

Location hidden

#65522 Jan 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.
Ok - but still.
Go back to what I said originally. An orthodox Jew CAN write God. Traditionally they always have. But recently, some Jews, have expanded the custom to include the English God. But that is not the classic orthodox tradition. In the classic tradition the English name doesnt matter. If you notice, I usually just write God. However, Eric doesnt. He follows the later custom. But he is not Orthodox.(That said, I do know some orthodox who dont write it either - but like I said, its not the tradition, its an add on)

Location hidden

#65523 Jan 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I know! Me too!
Sitting on a what??
Had to look up the lyrics - though maybe you were just making shxt up!(Just like G-d only with an x!)
and waiting on a "van" to come? I thought it was man.

Location hidden

#65524 Jan 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.
Ok - but still.
I think I may have misread you. Are you confused that an orthodox Jew can speak the name of God in Hebrew but not write the name of God in Hebrew?

If so, the words in Hebrew are "nicknames'(technically called appellations)- they arent really the name of God in Hebrew - that is never spoken, and never written.

Common appellations are adonay (loosely translated as lord), melech haolam (king of the universe), elohainu (our God), ribbono shel olam (lord of the universe), hashem (the name), etc etc. And the tetragammaton (pronounced as adonay) These are all used when praying/talking to God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:30 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:30AM