Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,105
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#61034 Oct 21, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: do they make, silencers for shotguns? since allegedly zombies, are attracted to loud noises. and may eventually attract lot more zombies, than you have shotgun shells. instead of being like joel, constantly making loud supramental noises hoping to be noticed.
Silencers are a myth. You can suppress a shot, but not make it silent while in the movies. Even a small caliber pistol with sub-sonic ammunition will make an audible bang when fired.

That being said, the shotgun is a backup weapon against zombies. The primary way to deal with zombies is traps -- something often overlooked in zombie movies and comics.

Zombies are extremely predictable, adhere closely to a dogmatic pattern of reflex and taxis, and have no regard to their personal safety (mmmm... who does that sound like?).

Leading zombies into a situation where they self terminate is the best way of dealing with an infestation. After that, your only problem is waste disposal.

Location hidden

#61035 Oct 21, 2013
"like" in the movies ...

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#61037 Oct 21, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Silencers are a myth. You can suppress a shot, but not make it silent while in the movies. Even a small caliber pistol with sub-sonic ammunition will make an audible bang when fired.
That being said, the shotgun is a backup weapon against zombies. The primary way to deal with zombies is traps -- something often overlooked in zombie movies and comics.
Zombies are extremely predictable, adhere closely to a dogmatic pattern of reflex and taxis, and have no regard to their personal safety (mmmm... who does that sound like?).
Leading zombies into a situation where they self terminate is the best way of dealing with an infestation. After that, your only problem is waste disposal.
Adam Chodorow of the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University investigated the estate and income tax implications of a zombie apocalypse under United States federal and state tax codes. He notes that being dead is different from being undead, and states that "most self-motivated zombies likely would be considered alive under most state law definitions", similar to victims of strokes or Alzheimer's Disease, or those in a persistent vegetative state. Whether a reanimated zombie should be considered the same being as when it was originally alive is, according to Chodorow, much less clear. Due to such potential legal complications, he recommends that legislators enact special tax laws for the undead.[37]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_apocalyps...

Location hidden

#61038 Oct 21, 2013
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm...

Death and Taxes and Zombies

Location hidden

#61039 Oct 21, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/pa pers.cfm?abstract_id=2045255

Death and Taxes and Zombies
This is where I, as a Libertarian, would part ways with the author. I don't believe a government solution to the Zombie Apocalypse is sustainable.

While today, a large segment of the tax base could be classified as 'Zombie'. In an actual apocalypse scenario. The undead would go from revenue positive to revenue negative. As the outbreak continued to spread, the government response would find itself deficit spending very quickly.

Currently, our government finances deficit spending by the foreign sales of US Bonds. But, in a global Zombie Pandemic, the market for purchasing US debt would dry up faster than zombie skin.

Location hidden

#61040 Oct 22, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where I, as a Libertarian, would part ways with the author. I don't believe a government solution to the Zombie Apocalypse is sustainable.
While today, a large segment of the tax base could be classified as 'Zombie'. In an actual apocalypse scenario. The undead would go from revenue positive to revenue negative. As the outbreak continued to spread, the government response would find itself deficit spending very quickly.
Currently, our government finances deficit spending by the foreign sales of US Bonds. But, in a global Zombie Pandemic, the market for purchasing US debt would dry up faster than zombie skin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_apocalyps...
According to a 2009 Carleton University and University of Ottawa epidemiological analysis, an outbreak of even Living Dead's slow zombies "is likely to lead to the collapse of civilization, unless it is dealt with quickly." Based on their mathematical modelling, the authors concluded that offensive strategies were much more reliable than quarantine strategies, due to various risks that can compromise a quarantine. They also found that developing a cure would merely leave a few humans alive, since this would do little to slow the infection rate.

On a longer time scale, the researchers found that all humans end up turned or dead. This is because the main epidemiological risk of zombies, besides the difficulties of neutralizing them, is that their population just keeps increasing; generations of humans merely "surviving" still have a tendency to feed zombie populations, resulting in gross outnumbering. The researchers explain that their methods of modelling may be applicable to the spread of political views or diseases with dormant infection.[36]

Location hidden

#61041 Oct 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
...The researchers explain that their methods of modelling may be applicable to the spread of political views or diseases with dormant infection.[36]
A Zombie Apocalypse as a metaphor? That's something that's never occurred to me before.

Location hidden

#61042 Oct 22, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
A Zombie Apocalypse as a metaphor? That's something that's never occurred to me before.
Thats how the US CDC (Center for Disease COntrol) bloggers (my first post) were able to blog on work time.

Location hidden

#61043 Oct 22, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
The best part of that comment is the linking of political views with biological infection

Location hidden

#61044 Oct 22, 2013
My bigger concern isnt the impending zombie apocalypse anyhow. Thats a hypothetical.

My bigger concern is the current invasion by the bots. I think that explains behavior here a lot better.

Location hidden

#61045 Oct 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
My bigger concern isnt the impending zombie apocalypse anyhow. Thats a hypothetical.
My bigger concern is the current invasion by the bots. I think that explains behavior here a lot better.
A robot uprising would be significantly less entertaining than zombies. But, ultimately, I have very little faith in man's ability to create artificial intelligence when our human intelligence seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

The day a computer kills itself because it thinks it's fat is the day I will begin to worry about machine intelligence.

Location hidden

#61046 Oct 22, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
A robot uprising would be significantly less entertaining than zombies. But, ultimately, I have very little faith in man's ability to create artificial intelligence when our human intelligence seems to be heading in the opposite direction.
The day a computer kills itself because it thinks it's fat is the day I will begin to worry about machine intelligence.
Its not the machine intelligence I worry about. Its our inability as humans to interface properly with the machines I worry about.

This was a fascinating story:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/137407-talking-...

"...This hour of Radiolab, Jad and Robert meet humans and robots who are trying to connect, and blur the line.

We begin with a love story--from a man who unwittingly fell in love with a chatbot on an online dating site..."

Location hidden

#61047 Oct 22, 2013
http://www.radiolab.org/story/137466-clever-b...

In 2006, Robert Epstein decided to turn to his computer for some help finding a date. He was single at the time, and it seemed like everyone was getting into online dating. So he started searching through photos and sending messages, reaching out to women who caught his interest. And then he found a match--an attractive brunette from Russia named Svetlana. They struck up a correspondence that hummed along for 2 months...until a little bell went off in Robert's head, and he realized not only that Svetlana wasn't the woman of his dreams...she wasn't a woman at all.

Location hidden

#61048 Oct 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
http://www.radiolab.org/story/ 137466-clever-bots/

In 2006, Robert Epstein decided to turn to his computer for some help finding a date. He was single at the time, and it seemed like everyone was getting into online dating. So he started searching through photos and sending messages, reaching out to women who caught his interest. And then he found a match--an attractive brunette from Russia named Svetlana. They struck up a correspondence that hummed along for 2 months...until a little bell went off in Robert's head, and he realized not only that Svetlana wasn't the woman of his dreams...she wasn't a woman at all.
Same thing happened to a guy I know in Thailand. Only no computers were involved.

Location hidden

#61049 Oct 22, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Same thing happened to a guy I know in Thailand. Only no computers were involved.
Lola - by the Kinks

one of my favorite songs of my youth
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#61050 Oct 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Lola - by the Kinks
one of my favorite songs of my youth
Did they change it from coca cola to cherry cola in New England, too?

Location hidden

#61051 Oct 22, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they change it from coca cola to cherry cola in New England, too?
There were a few versions played on the radio. The live version I remember used coca. I think the recorded version was perhaps the British version?

I should note that I listened to the song incessantly or 6 months before I really understood what it was all about. I just liked the tune.

Location hidden

#61052 Oct 22, 2013
"...It was ranked 422nd on the List of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.[3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lola_ (song)

(thats pretty piss poor for a rank)

Location hidden

#61053 Oct 22, 2013
Originally I thought she was just an ugly girl....
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#61054 Oct 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Originally I thought she was just an ugly girl....
That and Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mimbres area 20 hr Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct 21 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Sep 29 Insect Trust 32
Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos Jobs