Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,008
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#53333 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
While I appreciate your quote from the AUTHORITATIVE source i.e. wikipedia I am once again telling you that among the properly educated history is regarded as LITERATURE.
Maybe in Jamaica but not in any American University.

Good enough for Harvard and Yale, good enough for me

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/home/content/schoo...

http://yale.edu/departments/

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#53334 May 27, 2013
WHAT IS LITERATURE?

HUGH: "Literature is any book, article etc. on a subject including poems, science and history."

JOEL - CORRECT, in a broad or sweeping way.

Literature, as for instance - Books and writings published on a particular subject: "the literature on environmental epidemiology".

I guess by the word "literature" you mean writings, a corpus of knowledge, the printed representation of knowledge, right?

If you refer to literature in the context of language, then it specifically indicates literary works - fiction/non-fiction - in that particular language.

Location hidden

#53335 May 27, 2013
Those who stick to the narrow definition of any word, as for example, "literature", are born idiots with a low IQ that's evident here day in, day out. LOL.

Location hidden

#53336 May 27, 2013
A specific meaning can be assigned to a particular object, event, word or subject only if so denoted by the user. In this case, we stick only to the narrow or specific meaning; otherwise, any of these - object, event, word or subject - can be generic and can have a wider meaning than what the ordinary mental types think they are. LMAO.

Location hidden

#53337 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
While I appreciate your quote from the AUTHORITATIVE source i.e. wikipedia I am once again telling you that among the properly educated history is regarded as LITERATURE.
I guess your "properly educated" in Jamaica never attended your fine universities

Where History and Lit are different departments as well

http://www.mona.uwi.edu/programmes/undergrad....
University of West Indies

What EXACTLY is your notion of properly educated?

Location hidden

#53338 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

HughBe--- No doubt in the RELIGION called Judaism FAITH is the SCIENTIFIC part or arm of the RELIGION.
Yes, but you labeled Judaism as a "Faith". Any "properly educated"* Jew will tell you otherwise. Faith is a component but it is not the religion.

* I like your term - hope you dont mind me using it the way it is intended to be used.

Location hidden

#53339 May 27, 2013
IS HISTORY LITERATURE?

HUGH - "History is regarded as LITERATURE."

JOEL -

1) Historical narrative is literature in the sense that language/semantics is being employed to discuss, analyze, disseminate or report research findings in history.

2) I'd rather use the term "historical literature" in this context.

3) However, at the same time, I must stress the fact that we often come across cases where great speeches or writings made by famous rulers or politicians or we encounter cases where constitutional drafts and the subsequent correspondence debating its merits and demerits find their way into popular language studies (English Lit as a subject), as for instance, the profound speeches made by Winston Churchill during WW 2 can be included under English Literature for study, language analysis and knowledge dissemination.

So, there's a general as well as a specific meaning to the topic under discussion given the varied contexts.

(smiles)

Location hidden

#53340 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Another lesson for the day but first I have noted your qualification of Judaism i.e. "is tribal in the sense".
Lesson, Judaism is a RELIGION it is NOT a TRIBE and it has NEVER been a TRIBE. There are no TRIBES called Judaism.
Explain the nation of Israel concept that you speak of.
Judaism is a tribal religion. It is only intended for a group of people. Its tied to a homeland, has a special language, and its own sacred history. Jews call themselves "a people". And there are patterns of descent that depend on lineaty.

These are all characteristics of tribal religions, cross--culturally. If you have further questions about this fact, consult your nearest anthropologist.(You know, the ones in the ANTHROPOLOGY DEPARTMENT, not the Lit department)

Location hidden

#53341 May 27, 2013
The dunce is online. LOL.

Location hidden

#53342 May 27, 2013
To the dunce:

1 + 2 =?

How many consonants are there in the word abracadabra?

(smiles)

Location hidden

#53343 May 27, 2013
Literature on anthropology and space science is freely available online. LOL.

Location hidden

#53344 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles-- personally I dont accept that megillah(Esther) as history.
HughBe--- List the reasons why that is so.
Do you celebrate Purim?
Do the Jews who celebrate the Feast of Purim celebrate a LIE?
OUTSTANDING matters--
do you read Esther from a scroll?
Is Esther in books?
Because I see it as LITERATURE, not HISTORY

I do celebrate Purim

GO back and read the posts between FR and I about how just because something is literature, it still can have meaning.

Furthermore, I know you have been "properly educated" but I recommend you read what the other properly educated anthropologists have to say on this matter as well.

http://www.colorado.edu/ReligiousStudies/cher...
RELIGION AS A CULTURAL SYSTEM:
THE THEORY OF CLIFFORD GEERTZ

Location hidden

#53345 May 27, 2013
Bye, retard.

He wants a handsome boy to f..., I guess.

(smiles)

Location hidden

#53346 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
do you read Esther from a scroll?
Is Esther in books?
we read Esther in the native Hebrew in synagogue out of a scroll
I dont bother with what you call the OT - so I am only speaking from my own experience.

Location hidden

#53347 May 27, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Literature on anthropology and space science is freely available online. LOL.
"Literature on" implies either critique or discipline specific (e.g. scientific) literature.

Hughbe is trying to make the claim that professional Historians accept the Bible as true history. Thats a different usage.

I use the term Scientific literature all the time. That implies peer review and professional methodology.

Location hidden

#53348 May 27, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

"Literature on" implies either critique or discipline specific (e.g. scientific) literature.

I use the term Scientific literature all the time.

That implies peer review and professional methodology.
Why're you simply posting nonsense and dragging on with this most trivial point when the meaning is crystal clear?

You've failed to get his logic.

He's correct in a sweeping sort of way.

The word literature can mean many things in different contexts and does not necessarily refer to language studies as say for example studying Macbeth as part of English Literature.

Besides, research findings and discussions in any technical or non-technical subject are conducted in a language where use of vocabulary, alphabetical symbols, rules of grammar, correct spelling, etymology and the like are used freely and all throughout and without these language inputs they'd be no thoughts, no research, no science, no math, no medicine, no Macbeth and no history.

Location hidden

#53349 May 27, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Hughbe is trying to make the claim that professional Historians accept the Bible as true history.
All of it is not false.

Biblical narratives dealing with religious personages, places, climate, geography, battles fought, customs, families, clans, kings, dwelling places and the like are part of religious history.

Metaphysics found in bible is beyond the scope of science or history.

Formal history taught in academic institutions invariably deals with highly selective phases of human history and here too the conclusions drawn are, on many occasions, based on the most flimsy scraps of evidence and then they build up a tall hypothesis, make misleading surmises or digress a lot from the actual event. It's a highly incomplete subject like any other.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53350 May 27, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- How did you verify that Christopher Columbus existed? Was it via time travel?
How did you verify that men went to the moon?
Did you go and examine the evidence on the moon?
There are those items whose evidence I choose to accept as do most folks.

And then there are stories devoid of evidence (like your god) that I choose to reject.

To each his own my friend.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- Here is HughBe's system. Literature is any book, article etc. on a subject including poems, science and history.
You are using a different definition of the word.

Yes broadly speaking, literature can refer to material on most any subject.

I was using the library/Dewey Decimal definition. We were all raised on that system here in the US.(Not the Huggybear system..)
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---Master in Science degree.
Healthcare-related.
HughBe--- So, are you a Grind-ae-cologist?
Family practice, all ages, all areas.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe --In Jamaica it would be in the RELIGIOUS section. Does that tell you that religion is FICTION?
HughBe--- But is religion FICTION? The rituals etc. that are performed in churches, synagogues and mosques are they REAL or FICTIONAL?
if you look at the definition of religion:

"(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices"

It sounds more like personal philosophy than anything else.

Not so much about facts or reality.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--I believe you're thinking of the writer of the James Bond stories who had a home there as well if I'm not mistaken. Ian Fleming.
HughBe--- I did not need wiki, you are correct and I made a mistake. I know both names.
So you are not infallible.

How refreshing.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53351 May 27, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it is what makes you pay taxes correct?
You seriously don't recall why I pay my taxes?

I'll invite you to read back.

Getting tired of repeating myself.

Hint: What would happen to me if I did not pay my taxes?

Location hidden

#53352 May 27, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Why're you simply posting nonsense and dragging on with this most trivial point when the meaning is crystal clear?
You've failed to get his logic.
He's correct in a sweeping sort of way.
The word literature can mean many things in different contexts and does not necessarily refer to language studies as say for example studying Macbeth as part of English Literature.
Besides, research findings and discussions in any technical or non-technical subject are conducted in a language where use of vocabulary, alphabetical symbols, rules of grammar, correct spelling, etymology and the like are used freely and all throughout and without these language inputs they'd be no thoughts, no research, no science, no math, no medicine, no Macbeth and no history.
You fail to follow his argument.

He is trying to make the claim that modern day historians accept Biblical History as truth.

He is doing that by relaxing the standards of truth but pretending that the discipline of History is just another type of Literature studies, instead of being a discipline in its own right.

If you continue to read him, he is claiming that since the Bible claims many people witnessed a particular event, it HAD to be true - ignoring the application of universally acceptable Historical methods of investigation within the discipline which would assert OTHERWISE.

This is not a trivial matter. This is HUGBE acting like a fundamentalist, a flat earther....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov '14 Realist 615
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:10 am PST

Yahoo! Sports11:10AM