Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 2,390)

Showing posts 47,781 - 47,800 of68,349
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

A hallucination harms the individual's mind-matter apparatus but it is far more dangerous when the deranged individual seeks to impose his hallucinations, especially of the damaging types, involving wars, mass murders, blood sacrifices, fanaticism and barbarous punishments on society.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

CONCLUSION:

Scripture should be viewed with the greatest suspicion if its revelations cannot be replicated, verified and applied for the greatest good of the individual as well as the collectivity irrespective of race, creed, nationality and social status.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

From global warming to fluoride: Why do people deny science?

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/25/from_global_w...

...So what the average human should fear is not global warming but rather local climate destabilization, i.e., a change in the relative stability and predictability of his or her own local situation. This does not only mean unusually severe hurricanes and tornadoes, or unexpected droughts and flooding. Such sad catastrophes affect only a small part of the world at any one time. Of even greater concern should be local changes that may seem trivial yet have a huge impact on our living conditions and economies.

Try a casual poll of your friends across the planet who have lived in the same place for a while, and ask,“How’s the weather been lately in your neck of the woods?” There is a high probability that the answer will include words such as “strange,”“unusual,” and “weird.” And in some cases your friends will not mention warming but rather unusual cold spells, or rain and snow that fell with unusual frequency at unexpected times.

The general trend seems to be increasing dryness in previously dry areas and increasing wetness in previously wet areas. It will not take many more such changes to disrupt local economies and agriculture in a manner that destabilizes local societies. And the impact of local events can be global. For example, very high temperatures in Russia in 2010 were unpleasant, but the bigger consequences were forest fires and loss of wheat production. The unprecedented 2011 floods in Thailand raised the costs of computer hard disks worldwide because some key local factories were damaged. And in 2012, the great drought in North America decimated the corn crop and ignited forest fires that destroyed many homes....
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit I am not the most educated on the subject of your heritage, but I dont think of your heritage as ethno-religious in the same way Jews are. Not that you dont have a definite religious culture that complements the ethnic culture, but what creates the Jewish situation is the complicated interaction between internal religious laws of tribal membership and the external imposition of ethnicity (i.e something you are "born into" regardless of your religious views).
Hughbe is setting up a false equivalence. Christians are not an ethno-religious group either, but yet he cited that as an example as well. Basically,(shockingly), Hughbe misses the boat on the concept.
Just look at the Protestants and the Catholic Irish killing each other, blowing one another up, in Northern Ireland. Maybe not as much recently but quite a history of violence. Not homogenous by any means.

Definitely not ethnoreligious but the hyphenated Irish-Catholic is well known in our culture, along with Italian-Catholic and a few others. Strong associations but not the same as being Jewish.

I had a feeling where Huggy was going but thought I'd play along with him. He seems to hear what he wants to hear on this subject.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If I understand you correctly, just because something might be a fairy tale doesnt mean it isnt worthy of respect. Fairy Tales have their own types of truths and deeper meanings. Much like fables.
I dont get why some people here would automatically find a fairy tale designation as demeaning (unless one is so insecure with their ID). Something doesnt have to be "authentic" or literal to be meaningful.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

And look at all the fine and respected literature in the world.

Taking lessons through metaphors and story-telling has a long tradition in no way diminishes the importance of the meanings being conveyed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Judged:

Dunces with an extremely poor grasp of the basics of science and math are attempting to talk science on this thread. ROFL.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't have said it better myself!
And look at all the fine and respected literature in the world.
Taking lessons through metaphors and story-telling has a long tradition in no way diminishes the importance of the meanings being conveyed.
Out of curiosity, why do you use the term fairy tale and not fable? Are you holding out for the possibility that some or all of the stories in the bible were not intended/created to have meaning other than entertainment, but now have meaning assigned to them?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Just look at the Protestants and the Catholic Irish killing each other, blowing one another up, in Northern Ireland. Maybe not as much recently but quite a history of violence. Not homogenous by any means.
Definitely not ethnoreligious but the hyphenated Irish-Catholic is well known in our culture, along with Italian-Catholic and a few others. Strong associations but not the same as being Jewish.
I had a feeling where Huggy was going but thought I'd play along with him. He seems to hear what he wants to hear on this subject.
It is interesting how parsing a hyphen can mean so much.

When I was a kid I remember going to a discussion in my synagogue where they wanted us to discuss whether we saw ourselves as Jewish Americans or American Jews. The first term connotes religion while the second term connotes ethnicity (I think?)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Dunces with an extremely poor grasp of the basics of science and math are attempting to talk science on this thread. ROFL.
You sound a lot like like the little boy who is being ignored but who desperately wants to be heard

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

You sound a lot like like the little boy who is being ignored but who desperately wants to be heard.
Inferiority personified.

ROFL.

Anyway, carry on, and, hey, don't be so touchy, just relax.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of curiosity, why do you use the term fairy tale and not fable? Are you holding out for the possibility that some or all of the stories in the bible were not intended/created to have meaning other than entertainment, but now have meaning assigned to them?
Fairy tale is a more provocative (and admittedly less accurate) term for sure.(I admit I was playing with Huggy at the time.)

In a quick vocabulary review, it looks to me like 'parable' might be the best term to use:

A parable is [1] a succinct story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons, or (sometimes) a normative principle. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy.[2]

Some scholars of the Canonical gospels and the New Testament apply the term "parable" only to the parables of Jesus,[3] though that is not a common restriction of the term. Parables such as "The Prodigal Son" are central to Jesus' teaching method in both the canonical narratives and the apocrypha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable

ps

Good Morning on Huggy's Sabbath!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

JEWISH INDIAN OR INDIAN JEW?

1) The question of observant or non-observant does not arise since the term Jewish in this specific sense indicates a racial type and hence those of Jewish ancestry have a distinct genetic makeup that differs from other religious types like say the Hindu.

2) Jews of different races have intermarried for generations giving rise to a common gene pool.

3) With the Hindu, however, marriage is strictly governed by the laws of eugenics that seeks to weed out abnormal practices like the incestuous type or the hypogamous kind and so the Hindu genome though distinct varies from say the Jewish genes which is almost completely perverted due to incest/hypogamy.

4) People of peculiar beliefs who inter-marry for numerous generations develop a specific genotype and this is their race-based ethnicity.

5) The term nationality is broad and may refer to people of diverse genotypes residing in one nation - the various genotypes may intermarry provided religious laws do not forbid inter-religious marriages but in most cases most people marry within their own religious community that may be comprised of different genetic types that get stirred together forming a kind of genetic potpourri.

6) So, can a person be a Jewish India or an Indian Jew is the question? Doesn't either term indicate an oxymoron? Yes, if the religious community is homogenous in genes formed by marriage among the adherents of various genotypes of the same faith over generations. Whereas, if nationality is a product determined by common genetic lineage, then one cannot be a Jew and an Indian simultaneously since both are specific genetic types. In such a case, the person, in genetic terms, is simply a Jew and not Jewish Indian or if he wishes to identify with his nationality then he's simply an Indian or an Indo-Aryan or whatever and not a Jew. As such, when seen in this particular context of genotype, a person cannot be both - Jewish and Indian - at the same time. It would be a contradiction in terms.

6) Interestingly, most Muslims in India are Hindu converts to Islam and if there's been no mixing of blood with Arabs, Turks, Mongols and Afghans then the gene pool of Muslims in India remains Hindu by nature, or is it so? See, Hindu converts to Islam have married among themselves most often in incestuous and hypogamous unions and besides their pattern of thinking and customs molded by the new faith have left an indelible mark on their genes and in this respect the Muslim genome in India will be after many generations markedly different from the Hindu one.

8) If nationality is not race/genetic based then nationality is a superfluous factor and in such a case a person may describe himself as a Jewish Indian, Muslim Indian or Hindu Indian provided he puts his faith above nation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Inferiority personified.
ROFL.
Anyway, carry on, and, hey, don't be so touchy, just relax.
grouchy? Did you here me call someone a dunce?

what exactly is your personality issue anyhow?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
JEWISH INDIAN OR INDIAN JEW?
1) The question of observant or non-observant does not arise since the term Jewish in this specific sense indicates a racial type and hence those of Jewish ancestry have a distinct genetic makeup that differs from other religious types like say the Hindu.
2) Jews of different races have intermarried for generations giving rise to a common gene pool.
3) With the Hindu, however, marriage is strictly governed by the laws of eugenics that seeks to weed out abnormal practices like the incestuous type or the hypogamous kind and so the Hindu genome though distinct varies from say the Jewish genes which is almost completely perverted due to incest/hypogamy.
4) People of peculiar beliefs who inter-marry for numerous generations develop a specific genotype and this is their race-based ethnicity.
5) The term nationality is broad and may refer to people of diverse genotypes residing in one nation - the various genotypes may intermarry provided religious laws do not forbid inter-religious marriages but in most cases most people marry within their own religious community that may be comprised of different genetic types that get stirred together forming a kind of genetic potpourri.
6) So, can a person be a Jewish India or an Indian Jew is the question? Doesn't either term indicate an oxymoron? Yes, if the religious community is homogenous in genes formed by marriage among the adherents of various genotypes of the same faith over generations. Whereas, if nationality is a product determined by common genetic lineage, then one cannot be a Jew and an Indian simultaneously since both are specific genetic types. In such a case, the person, in genetic terms, is simply a Jew and not Jewish Indian or if he wishes to identify with his nationality then he's simply an Indian or an Indo-Aryan or whatever and not a Jew. As such, when seen in this particular context of genotype, a person cannot be both - Jewish and Indian - at the same time. It would be a contradiction in terms.
6) Interestingly, most Muslims in India are Hindu converts to Islam and if there's been no mixing of blood with Arabs, Turks, Mongols and Afghans then the gene pool of Muslims in India remains Hindu by nature, or is it so? See, Hindu converts to Islam have married among themselves most often in incestuous and hypogamous unions and besides their pattern of thinking and customs molded by the new faith have left an indelible mark on their genes and in this respect the Muslim genome in India will be after many generations markedly different from the Hindu one.
8) If nationality is not race/genetic based then nationality is a superfluous factor and in such a case a person may describe himself as a Jewish Indian, Muslim Indian or Hindu Indian provided he puts his faith above nation.
Nationality is rarely based on race. Its based upon where you are born, or in the case of ethnicity, where your ancestors or older living generations were born.

Dont kid yourself that there are not Arabs in India that are as Indian as your Hindus. What makes them Indian isnt some bloodline but their birth in the modern nation-state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Fairy tale is a more provocative (and admittedly less accurate) term for sure.(I admit I was playing with Huggy at the time.)
In a quick vocabulary review, it looks to me like 'parable' might be the best term to use:
A parable is [1] a succinct story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons, or (sometimes) a normative principle. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy.[2]
Some scholars of the Canonical gospels and the New Testament apply the term "parable" only to the parables of Jesus,[3] though that is not a common restriction of the term. Parables such as "The Prodigal Son" are central to Jesus' teaching method in both the canonical narratives and the apocrypha.
ps
In the OT, there are animals (talking donkeys) and angels and forces of nature (burning bushes, seas, etc)...so I think they may be more fairy tales and fables.

I can certainly accept someone opining that some of the stories did not have any really meaning other than entertainment, but later were coopted to be moralistic once they got redacted into the primary text. I was curious if that was were you stood, or if you thought they all were created with meaning.

Cool today but will be 88 by thursday. Ran the heat this weekend and AC by next weekend. This aint normal - its weird!
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
In the OT, there are animals (talking donkeys) and angels and forces of nature (burning bushes, seas, etc)...so I think they may be more fairy tales and fables.
I can certainly accept someone opining that some of the stories did not have any really meaning other than entertainment, but later were coopted to be moralistic once they got redacted into the primary text. I was curious if that was were you stood, or if you thought they all were created with meaning.
Cool today but will be 88 by thursday. Ran the heat this weekend and AC by next weekend. This aint normal - its weird!
I biblical scholar I am not.

But people do tend to want to read meanings into things (piece of toast etc that looks like Jesus...).

OTOH most creative endeavors contain the thinking of the author/artist.

Yeah strange weather. I saw a climate guy who said they're now not even saying 'climate change' but simply 'climate.' Whatever it is, it's keeping me on the run - open then closing then opening windows etc. It's good though. We've had boiler AND a/c serviced now and recently found out we need a new boiler! oh well. As Salinger said, "And so it goes."
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
ps
And your belief in the facts of government jurisdiction is just a fable.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing is 100% one thing or the other.
I prefer not to see the world in black in white.
Most of life is lived in the gray areas.
Much of literature contains elements of history, psychology, sociology, politics, philosophy, theology, commentary, fantasy, and yes, reality.
It is for the individual to evaluate that which speaks to him and what message he wishes to take from any creative work of art.
So, the answer to your question above is: It is whatever you make of it. We would probably all answer that differently. I have no personal knowledge of this piece of literature. So, honestly, I would not be the best person to ask.
What did you think of the book,'Gone With the Wind?'
How about,'My Wicked, Wicked Life,' by Errol Flynn.
HughBe--- You have no idea what history is. As a Catholic(former) how would you classify the book of Esther?

Is it HISTORY or FICTION?

Former---Nothing is 100% one thing or the other.

HughBe---- Which is it more of, FICTION or HISTORY?

Former--I prefer not to see the world in black in white.

HughBe--- See it as it is and so if the world is black and white see it like that and NOT in the way that makes you feel comfortable.

Former---Most of life is lived in the gray areas.

HughBe-- Why is that so? Do you HATE the BLACK?

Former--Much of literature contains elements of history, psychology, sociology, politics, philosophy, theology, commentary, fantasy, and yes, reality.

HughBe-- Noted now answer the question. Is Esther a book of HISTORY or FICTION? Tell me the fictional aspects of Esther.

Former--It is for the individual to evaluate that which speaks to him and what message he wishes to take from any creative work of art.

HughBe--- Past events are past and it matters not what kind of message or impact it has on the reader those things cannot change the FACTS or history.

Former---So, the answer to your question above is: It is whatever you make of it.

HughBe--- Pure CS and YOU know it.

I am going to make a big assumption here and it is that at some point in your life you had access to something called a LIBRARY. Now when you went did you find HISTORY books in the FICTIONAL section? Is that how it is done in America?

Former---What did you think of the book,'Gone With the Wind?'

HughBe--- Based on my memory of the book which was read in the 70's and the movie which I saw I would call it a perfect example of a RELIABLE HISTORY book.:D

What would you call it?

Former---How about,'My Wicked, Wicked Life,' by Errol Flynn.

HughBe--- No doubt you read it as like attracts like in your world. I have never read it or heard about it.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Yes, very religious. Very Christian - either Catholic or Protestant.
2. Yes, Celtic/Irish.
3. Yes. See above.
4. Yes, Catholic.
(I smell a trap....)
Former---I smell a trap....

HughBe--- That is positive as it means that you have gained intelligence.

HughBe-- Do Irish people have a RELIGIOUS history or are they without one?

Former---Yes, very religious.

HughBe---Do Irish people belong to an ethnic group?

Former--Yes, Celtic/Irish

HughBe--- So Irish people are ethno-religious as they have an ethnicity and religion.

Are you an Irish person, as you have stated?

HughBe--- Do you belong to an ethnic group?

Former--- YES

HughBe--- Do YOU and your family have a RELIGIOUS history?

Former---YES

HUghBe--- So based on the FACTS that YOU have an ethnicity as well as a RELIGIOUS history YOU are ethno-religious and this is something that YOU have previously denied.

Now that I have explained to YOU who you are, embrace your ethno-religious self and enjoy your life, ATHEIST.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Where's Hugh the sex perv?
He's so cock friendly!
(smiles)
OF :D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 47,781 - 47,800 of68,349
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pinos Altos Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••