Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,017
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43165 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Lowering tax rates is not about trickling down theory, its about increasing government revenue...
Kindly expalin this.

I've posted information today pointing to the Bush tax cuts being the single biggest cause of our current deficit.

What information do you have to back-up your claim?

Simply repeating it does not advance your statement.

Non-Fox viewers (like me) tend to appreciated facts over platitudes.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43166 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The most amazing part of this election to me, was the fact that Team Romney actually believed their hubris. I honestly thought they were just trying to spin it.
This Slate piece made the same point I was making.

The professional bean counters failed miserably.

I guess it's like Karl Rove. You believe what you want to.
For example, that climate change is a hoax.
Or that up is down. Scary.

Why Romney Never Saw It Coming

He was the numbers guy. But in the end his numbers were all wrong.

By John Dickerson|Posted Friday, Nov. 9, 2012, at 9:15 PM ET

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43167 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
True or false , the social security trust fund was tapped to balance the budget?
Social Security is the least of our problems.

Are you trying to say W left us in better fiscal shape than Clinton did?

Are you side-stepping the point of the article? Yes, you are.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43168 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
This Slate piece made the same point I was making.
The professional bean counters failed miserably.
I guess it's like Karl Rove. You believe what you want to.
For example, that climate change is a hoax.
Or that up is down. Scary.
By John Dickerson|Posted Friday, Nov. 9, 2012, at 9:15 PM ET
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
Well, Romney always said (or implied) that he was going to run the country like a business, and it appears that he made good on that claim.

I think he would of done a better job if he ran his campaign(business) like an excercise in applied science, as the Democrats did, or as Nate Silver observed.

David Axelrod this morning on Cable (forget which program - it was on in the gym) basically :
"We went into election day with a knowledge of a small but comfortable lead thanks to our bright "kids" who had extensively analyzed the data beforehand. By 8:15 pm it was evident that the initial returns were strongly calibrated to our models, and that after that it was just going to be a matter of time until we reached the finish line...."

(tried to find this on link but couldnt yet)
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43169 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Most economists also say the debt issue is not a major threat (yet), and that we need to work on / preserve the recovery first.
Voluntarist

United States

#43170 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to say W left us in better fiscal shape than Clinton did?
Are you side-stepping the point of the article? Yes, you are.
No, social security was raided during Clinton that is the only reason why the budget was in excess.
Very simple, without harming the economy by tax increases, stop spending.
I got another one for you, stop the fiat inflation by derivatives.
Voluntarist

United States

#43171 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I know - that's my point.
You know this and I know this. Most small business would not be affected by a return to the Clinton tax rates at the highest bracket.
It's the GOP who is attempting to shift the tax burden back to the middle class.
Lowering taxes will increase the deficti. See my previous posting from Politifact.
Trickle down is a myth.
I trust more money in the hands of individuals than in the hands of government.
Voluntarist

United States

#43172 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of the same thing in my mind.
But lets amuse ourselves with your statement and accept the assumption. I would have to agree with Formers former post - I posted the basically the same thing.
Lets protect the middle class and raise taxes on those who can actually afford it.
If the rich could afford to throw their money into ill conceived and ill implemented Super-Pacs, then they can afford to pay a little more in taxes and help us little guys.
Lets protect the middle class by not raising taxes, stop spending and eliminate government services that the private sector can handle.
Voluntarist

United States

#43173 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Kindly expalin this.
I've posted information today pointing to the Bush tax cuts being the single biggest cause of our current deficit.
why can't the government spend less?
Voluntarist

United States

#43174 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't know who Grover Norquist is? Google him. Most of the GOP has taken his pledge. No balanced approach possible with the budget with this in place.
You don't recall Bush touting the "Ownership Society" where everyone should own a house?
Your supposed causes of the debt are very funny and based on emotion rathere than fact.
You may mention the Nobel Peace Prize winner Jimmy Carter anytime you wish. Our military never fired a shot during his tenure.
Your neocon freinds would not appreciate that.
Enjoy your Rosetta stone program. It gets high marks.
A few annoying facts will follow re the Bush tax cuts.
Shalom
The glass-steagal act was dismantled during CLINTON.
Voluntarist

United States

#43175 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
Back in 2001, CRS said, the Congressional Budget Office projected gradually rising federal budget surpluses for the next decade. The tax cuts helped alter the outlook "dramatically," and the budget in 2002 recorded a deficit for the first time since 1997.
"The Bush tax cuts, with a $1 trillion 10-year price tag, contributed to this shift from budget surpluses to deficits," CRS said. Other contributors included the 2001 recession, the increase in defense spending for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the Medicare prescription drug benefit.
But the tax cuts "generated the largest 10-year increases in budget deficits," CRS said.
Estimates by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office and the Joint Committee on Taxation put the total cost for the tax cuts (including the Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004) at more than the amount allocated to the Defense Department for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"This means that even with the spending for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the federal budget would have been in surplus in 2007 if the tax cuts had not been enacted, or if their costs had been offset," said a 2008 analysis from the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
The CBO last year projected a decrease in deficits if the tax cuts expired, and said extending all of them permanently would cost $3.3 trillion over 10 years and increase deficits.
PolitiFact has previously examined assertions that tax cuts increase revenues by stimulating economic growth. We found that the Congressional Budget Office, the Treasury Department, the Joint Committee on Taxation and the White House’s Council of Economic Advisers say that tax cuts lead to revenues that are lower than they otherwise would have been – even if they spur some economic growth.
"There's no clear relationship between taxes and economic growth," said Bob Williams of the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. "Too many factors complicate the picture to draw clear conclusions about the taxes-growth relationship."
Our colleagues at FactCheck.org came to a similar conclusion.
Additionally, the Congressional Budget Office reported in March, "Relative to the size of the economy, federal revenues are currently at their lowest level in 60 years."
"There is no real dispute among economists that broad-based federal income tax cuts reduce revenue (except when tax rates are much higher than they are now)," said Alan D. Viard of the conservative American Enterprise Institute. "Revenue is lower than it would be without the Bush tax cuts -- liberal and conservative economists are in accord on this question."
Debate will go on about the effectiveness of tax cuts in stimulating growth. We won't enter it. But analysis backs up Kucinich in saying that the Bush cuts "helped to create a substantial part of the deficit."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/201...
The key words are "if costs arent offset"
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43176 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, social security was raided during Clinton that is the only reason why the budget was in excess.
Fact Check

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

"The Congressional Budget Office wrote in a 2009 report that government-held debt, such as the Social Security trust fund, "has no direct, immediate impact on the economy. Instead, it simply represents credits to the various government accounts that can be redeemed as necessary to authorize payments for benefits or other expenses."
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43177 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
why can't the government spend less?
Because the rest of us like "stuff". And we won.
Voluntarist

United States

#43179 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Kindly expalin this.
When the federal government takes less money, more money is spent within the states, sales tax revenue will increase, as well as property tax revenue.
Voluntarist

United States

#43180 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact Check
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
"The Congressional Budget Office wrote in a 2009 report that government-held debt, such as the Social Security trust fund, "has no direct, immediate impact on the economy. Instead, it simply represents credits to the various government accounts that can be redeemed as necessary to authorize payments for benefits or other expenses."
No, no direct immediate impact at this time, of course we aren't talking about right now.
Voluntarist

United States

#43181 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the rest of us like "stuff". And we won.
So you believe that a person should be forced to pay for services?
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43182 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe that a person should be forced to pay for services?
Yes. We all benefit. Dont be a scrooge.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43183 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Romney always said (or implied) that he was going to run the country like a business, and it appears that he made good on that claim.
I think he would of done a better job if he ran his campaign(business) like an excercise in applied science, as the Democrats did, or as Nate Silver observed.
David Axelrod this morning on Cable (forget which program - it was on in the gym) basically :
"We went into election day with a knowledge of a small but comfortable lead thanks to our bright "kids" who had extensively analyzed the data beforehand. By 8:15 pm it was evident that the initial returns were strongly calibrated to our models, and that after that it was just going to be a matter of time until we reached the finish line...."
(tried to find this on link but couldnt yet)
Does the heart good, esp to know we dodged a bullet.

I can remember our first MBA president.....just like it was yesterday.

You know, I don't think anyone ever accused Reagan of being a genius, but I always thought he surrounded himself with smart people.

Not sure the same can be said of Romney, McCain, Bush...
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#43184 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no direct immediate impact at this time, of course we aren't talking about right now.
Thats funny you should say that. As I posted before, most of the professional economists agree with that.

Major issue now- recovery
Major issue in future after major issue now is stabilized - debt

Fiscal cliff - very real crisis but artificially created
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43185 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer - who's more of a fiscal conversvative, W or Clinton?

What has severe austerity done to Europe? They now realize the overdid it. Surefire way to bring on another recession.

Would you accept 3:1 spending cuts to revenue increases?(Just trying to see if I'm dealing with a same person..)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Sep 29 Insect Trust 32
WNMU students graduate from Police Academy (Jun '10) Sep 20 Really 8
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Sep 20 Really 12
Hearse from Pinos Altos Hearst Church moved to ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Lorina 2
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos Jobs