Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
38,701 - 38,720 of 68,978 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42460 Oct 29, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a lot of racism down south.
I'm just sayin.
I agree. But Seaside is no racist. Neither is Donald Trump. John McCain I cant speak for - except that his embrace of this new birtherism really shows that perhaps we need to provide pastures for anyone in congress more than 40 years.
former res

Broomall, PA

#42461 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
Former -
How goes the storm? So far we have gotten the winds - will probably loose power at some point. Our governor told the cities to implement Cat 4 disaster plans. They are evacuating everything below Post Road in a lot of places, inc Bridgeport.(No worries here - I am well above).
BTW I succumbed to the hype yesterday and bought another pack of AA batteries. So much for a battery shortage - at the podunk supermarket there were about a dozen displays of them - all selling well with more in store. I left thinking the storm was just a conspiracy by Energizer to sell stock.(Now looking outside - I am not so sure about that)
So far so good. I've heard a few limbs fall in the neighbors' yards. Some steady wind and gusts; rain and ponding visible.

I think we're getting the worst of it later tonight and overnight.
I was thinking how convenient it would be to lose power only while we're sleeping!

Sounds like you're doing ok too. Better to have batteries and not need them.

But I think you'e right - the worst is ahead here and probably there too.

My mom's below the post road. My sis lost her power on g'ch/stamford border. But it's back now.

We made Jiffypop before the power goes out! Priorities,
former res

Broomall, PA

#42462 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
The much abused promote the general welfare clause.
Glad to hear you support Welfare.

Social safety nets are very important.
former res

Broomall, PA

#42463 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But Seaside is no racist. Neither is Donald Trump. John McCain I cant speak for - except that his embrace of this new birtherism really shows that perhaps we need to provide pastures for anyone in congress more than 40 years.
Not so sure about the Donald.

Why single Obama out for all that scrutiny?

Though I know Letterman aplogized, maybe just for ratings/to get Donald back on the show.

They got along well the other night. Letterman even gets along with O'reilly now. I think he's mellowing in his old age,

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42464 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
Former -
How goes the storm? So far we have gotten the winds - will probably loose power at some point. Our governor told the cities to implement Cat 4 disaster plans. They are evacuating everything below Post Road in a lot of places, inc Bridgeport.(No worries here - I am well above).
BTW I succumbed to the hype yesterday and bought another pack of AA batteries. So much for a battery shortage - at the podunk supermarket there were about a dozen displays of them - all selling well with more in store. I left thinking the storm was just a conspiracy by Energizer to sell stock.(Now looking outside - I am not so sure about that)
Having a fun time walking the dog? Mine seems to be taking it in stride. Road down the street from me has been evacuated. It flooded around 11am at high tide. Expected to get worse tonight. I'm on higher ground so safe here as long as no trees fall. Getting a little stir crazy as are the kids....schools closed Mon, Tues and Wed.
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42465 Oct 29, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Having a fun time walking the dog? Mine seems to be taking it in stride. Road down the street from me has been evacuated. It flooded around 11am at high tide. Expected to get worse tonight. I'm on higher ground so safe here as long as no trees fall. Getting a little stir crazy as are the kids....schools closed Mon, Tues and Wed.
Dog knows better than to go on a walk. We lost power briefly twice already (no doubt part of FRs sisters event)- at the rate the wind is blowing I doubt we will last through the evening without loosing it for real. I am watching trees going horizontal. I know about stir crazy - day care closed until further notice. According to "suggested" evac (not the mandatory evac), you should be gone by now, as well as the entire downtown.

Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#42466 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
The much abused promote the general welfare clause.
I just read the CT constitution. There is no general welfare clause.
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42467 Oct 29, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so sure about the Donald.
Why single Obama out for all that scrutiny?
,
Its all about the publicity for his brand.

There was an interview released a few days ago of Obama a few hours after Bengahzi, a day before the Rose garden. It was linked on SLATE.COM It was not supposed to be a major interview for release, just a minor local station. Obama admitted that the govt really had no clue what was going on since the situation was still fluid, that they were labeling it an act of terror but that could change as soon as the intelligence came in. Basically all the stuff he stated publically many days afterwords (as others were claiming his story wasnt consistent).

And yet birtherism redux continues, unabated.

Willful ignorance of any fact contrary to the position.

McCain even admitted that for him, it was about the politics.
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42468 Oct 29, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read the CT constitution. There is no general welfare clause.
He also receives curbside garbage, recyling, leaf pickup, fire and police protection, snow removal, etc etc. But yet he believes it is unconstitutional.
Voluntarist

United States

#42469 Oct 29, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you support Welfare.
Social safety nets are very important.
I do not support welfare, and there is much debate about what "promoting the general welfare " means.
I have a hard time believing that the founders intended on handing out their money to others.
Voluntarist

United States

#42471 Oct 29, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read the CT constitution. There is no general welfare clause.
I thought you were supposed to be an attorney ding dong.
Its in the US Constitution.
Voluntarist

United States

#42472 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
He also receives curbside garbage, recyling, leaf pickup, fire and police protection, snow removal, etc etc. But yet he believes it is unconstitutional.
Your evidence that I receive such things ?

Police are supposed to protect individual rights, that would be in alignment with the purpose of government.
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42473 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evidence that I receive such things ?
Police are supposed to protect individual rights, that would be in alignment with the purpose of government.
You live in Darien, Mike. Trust me, you receive such things.
Frijoles

North Haven, CT

#42474 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were supposed to be an attorney ding dong.
Its in the US Constitution.
You (and I) were talking about the State.
Voluntarist

United States

#42475 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You live in Darien, Mike. Trust me, you receive such things.
Your evidence that I live in Darien?
Voluntarist

United States

#42476 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You (and I) were talking about the State.
There is a statute in regards to social programs, LOTS of it is implementing federal programs /funds, that is federal.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42477 Oct 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog knows better than to go on a walk. We lost power briefly twice already (no doubt part of FRs sisters event)- at the rate the wind is blowing I doubt we will last through the evening without loosing it for real. I am watching trees going horizontal. I know about stir crazy - day care closed until further notice. According to "suggested" evac (not the mandatory evac), you should be gone by now, as well as the entire downtown.
Just lost power. Tree down on power line five houses down from me. I don't anticipate restoration for at least a couple days.
Voluntarist

United States

#42478 Oct 29, 2012
Franklin wrote a whole essay on the subject and told one of his
friends:“I have long been of your opinion, that your legal
provision for the poor (in England ) is a very great evil, operating
as it does to the encouragement of idleness. We have followed
your example, and begin now to see our error, and, I hope, shall
reform it.”
A survey of Franklin ’s views on counterproductive compassion
might be summarized as follows:
1. Compassion which gives a drunk the means to increase his
drunkenness is counterproductive.
2. Compassion which breeds debilitating dependency and weakness
is counterproductive.
3. Compassion which blunts the desire or necessity to work for a
living is counterproductive.
4. Compassion which smothers the instinct to strive and excel is
counterproductive.
Voluntarist

United States

#42479 Oct 29, 2012
Highlights from their writings suggest the following:
1. Do not completely care for the needy–merely help them to help
themselves.
2. Give the poor the satisfaction of “earned achievement” instead of
rewarding them without achievement.
3. Allow the poor to climb the “appreciation ladder”–from tents to
cabins, cabins to cottages, cottages to comfortable houses.
4. Where emergency help is provided, do not prolong it to the point
where it becomes habitual.
5. Strictly enforce the scale of “fixed responsibility.” The first and
foremost level of responsibility is with the individual himself; the
second level is the family; then the church; next the community;
finally the county, and, in a disaster or emergency, the state.
Under no circumstances was the federal government to become
involved in public welfare. The Founders felt it would corrupt the
government and also the poor. No constitutional authority exists
for the federal government to participate in so-called social
welfare programs.(Making of America p 218-220)
The U. S. Constitution states in Article I, section 8: The people of
the states empower the Congress to expend money (for the
enumerated purposes listed in Article I, section 8), provided it is
done in a way that benefits the general welfare of the whole
people. Thomas Jefferson explained that this clause was not a
grant of power to “spend” for the general welfare of the people,
but was intended to “limit the power of taxation” to matters
which provided for the welfare of “the Union ” or the welfare of
the whole nation. In other words, federal taxes could not be
levied for states, countries, cities, or special interest groups.
(Making of America p 387)
Voluntarist

United States

#42480 Oct 29, 2012
The Court unlawfully laid the foundation for what turned out to
be an amendment to the Constitution in the 1936 Butler case,
where “general welfare” was twisted to allow “special welfare”,
and the federal budget jumped from six billion to six hundred
billion in one generation.(Making of America p 255) Should the
Federal Government be involved in Social Welfare, you be the
judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Aug 26 Insect Trust 26
Mimbres Valley woman still missing Aug 25 Insect Trust 6
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Aug 24 American Citizen 10
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Aug 2 Shantane 44
Review: High Country Collision Specialist Jul '14 Jeff 1
Hall retires from magistrate judge post (Dec '10) Jul '14 Jim Spainhower 9
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
•••
•••
Pinos Altos Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pinos Altos Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••