Silver City doctor faces ethics violation

Full story: Silver City Sun-News

The New Mexico Medical Board has filed a Notice of Contemplated Action against Twana Sparks, a Silver City doctor, based on a complaint that alleges she performed unauthorized genital exams on many of her patients while they were under anesthesia.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of469
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Not a fan of big government”

Since: Apr 08

Dallas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

5

1

1

You don't have to have me under anesthesia to examine my genitals.
desert monkey

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

As I stated in my first post I stand by her. I will also say that I am not upset with the newspaper that published the story. The facts were listed as they were givin to the report by the state. I did not see anything that can be construed as being judgmental by the newspaper. I am thankful that the newspaper did not embelish on the story. I am also sure that once she is exhonerated the paper will run a story about it and this very sad chapter in her life will be closed and the person/persons wishing to ruin her good name will be exposed.

“Not a fan of big government”

Since: Apr 08

Dallas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

desert monkey wrote:
As I stated in my first post I stand by her. I will also say that I am not upset with the newspaper that published the story. The facts were listed as they were givin to the report by the state. I did not see anything that can be construed as being judgmental by the newspaper. I am thankful that the newspaper did not embelish on the story. I am also sure that once she is exhonerated the paper will run a story about it and this very sad chapter in her life will be closed and the person/persons wishing to ruin her good name will be exposed.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper" - Thomas Jefferson
Lydia Gutierres

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Shame shame on her and Shame shame shame on GRMC. They were informed of her behavior previously and chose to sweep it under the carpet.
I agree with Sherri Rodriguez, that it took someone with a heart to report it and I now wonder what has happened to him/her?
silverkid

Silver City, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Lydia Gutierres wrote:
Shame shame on her and Shame shame shame on GRMC. They were informed of her behavior previously and chose to sweep it under the carpet.
I agree with Sherri Rodriguez, that it took someone with a heart to report it and I now wonder what has happened to him/her?
I couldn't agree more.
GRMC should have handled this matter better - it looks like Dr. Sparks has skipped town now. It's very rare for the medical board to get to this point.

It took courage for the person/s to come forward with this and I thank God this happened, my Mother had an appointment with her Oct. 16th.
nocokid

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

The paper does not seem to be making any judgements here -- just reporting the facts.

The doc should be considered innocent until proven guilty, but, clearly, the board decided there was enough potential merit to the complaint(s) to move forward with them.

Just like the medical board, the paper has a duty to inform and help protect the public. If the allegations are proven false, the doc can keep on practicing as usual. If they are proven true, appropriate measures will be taken.

Would you all rather just stick your heads in the sand and hope for the best?
jawonfloor

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Aug 31, 2009
 
No one is saying she is not a good doctor. I believe with all my heart that she IS an excellent doctor. She has helped many people that I know. However, just because she is a good doctor, or a generous person, or has helped many people, does not mean that she can't have a sexual addiction. In either case, I hope this all turns out to be a complete and utter FALSEHOOD.
Serena C

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Aug 31, 2009
 
silverkid wrote:
<quoted text>
Rob C - this has nothing to do with me. You seem like a very angry person. I have a right to my opinion, that the Sun News did an excellent job reporting the facts on this story. The laws are set up to protect the physicians, not the patients. the Sun News reported that on Dr. Sparks website she listed with her credentials the fact she worked at UNM as an apointee teaching physician. She was never a member of the faculty AND....now her website has been disconnected from the internet. Those are the facts Rob C and Dr. Sparks patients and the rest of Silver City have the right to know it.
Her website stated that she had a "teaching appointment at UNM"...what that means is that she allowed interning physicians to work at her clinic. While it may have been poorly worded, it is not an untrue statement. Secondly, I think any physician would disconnect their website to avoid harassment, especially when nothing has been proven. Finally, I'm not certain you are accurately interpreting the laws. The laws are set up very much to protect the patients. If they were not, I'd imagine medical lawsuits would not be so common. Doctors pay ridiculously high medical malpractice insurance for this reason. I am a former patient of hers as well and never felt like anything was out of place. While this is public info, it does not necessarily make it true. I can assure you she is not the first physician in Silver to face an ethics complaint...why doesn't the Sun-News print all supposed ethics violations??
Serena C

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

nocokid wrote:
The paper does not seem to be making any judgements here -- just reporting the facts.
The doc should be considered innocent until proven guilty, but, clearly, the board decided there was enough potential merit to the complaint(s) to move forward with them.
Just like the medical board, the paper has a duty to inform and help protect the public. If the allegations are proven false, the doc can keep on practicing as usual. If they are proven true, appropriate measures will be taken.
Would you all rather just stick your heads in the sand and hope for the best?
While your point is extremely valid, I think it is a bit suspicious to print only her case. There have been several other doctors who have faced similar situations, this is the first I've ever read...
Crazy is right

Silver City, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

2

Everyone knows that newspapers report only what is written down on paper. The Sun-News made a bold statement by coming out and reporting this incident.
I don't see the Daily Press reporting anything like this. Maybe it's because they are afraid to upset people in a small community and their readers are already at an all-time low.
Whatever the situation, Newspapers are the first-line of letting the public know what's going on in your community. After all, isn't that why we buy them in the first place to see who did what.
silverkid

Silver City, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Aug 31, 2009
 
Crazy is right wrote:
Everyone knows that newspapers report only what is written down on paper. The Sun-News made a bold statement by coming out and reporting this incident.
I don't see the Daily Press reporting anything like this. Maybe it's because they are afraid to upset people in a small community and their readers are already at an all-time low.
Whatever the situation, Newspapers are the first-line of letting the public know what's going on in your community. After all, isn't that why we buy them in the first place to see who did what.
I've grown up here in Silver - the Press sugar coats everything, but is great for the Obit's.

It seems the Sun News is the first NP to tell it like it is.
OLDIE BIRDIE

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

1

SEVERAL YEARS AGO, I WAS REFERRED TO DR. SPARKS, DUE TO EARACHES. SHE CAME IN TO THE ROOM PICKED UP MY CHART AND INFORMED ME THAT I HAD CANCER"""" I OF COURSE WAS VERY UPSET AND LEFT. A WEEK LATER I WAS CONTACTED BY HER OFFICE THAT MY SURGERY WAS SCHEDULED. I SAID I'M GOING FOR A SECOND OPINION. IWENT TO GET MY RECORDS FROM HER AND HAD A HARD TIME GETTING THEM, ANY SECOND AND THIRD AND FOURTH OPINION WAS: NO CANCER, AN EAR INFECTION ONLY. I AM GLAD THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT AFRAID TO SPEAK OUT AND PROTECT NOT ONLY THEMSELVES BUT THE PUBLIC
Burrito

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Aug 31, 2009
 
jawonfloor wrote:
No one is saying she is not a good doctor. I believe with all my heart that she IS an excellent doctor. She has helped many people that I know. However, just because she is a good doctor, or a generous person, or has helped many people, does not mean that she can't have a sexual addiction. In either case, I hope this all turns out to be a complete and utter FALSEHOOD.
I agree with this statement.
I think its funny, and typical, that people see things in black and white--either she's a great doctor or a degenerate.
Humans are more complicated than that, and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
SheIsGreatDoc

Duncan, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Aug 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Dr. Sparks is an excellent, ethical, and altruistic physician and person. The Board is obligated to investigate complaints. The investigation will clear Dr. Sparks.
Consider the possibility that someone may be carrying a grudge against her and filing false complaints before accepting the complaints as truth.
INSC2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Sep 1, 2009
 
silverkid wrote:
<quoted text>
This was an excellent job reporting the facts of the case - interesting how Dr. Sparks website has been disconnected now.
What facts? All this hit the fan in April and the newspaper just now got it? Looks like they just copyed and pasted from state websites. Everyone at the hospital has been talking about forever. And as far as suing, anyone can sue for anything and win. This one is far from over.
stunned in Silver City

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Sep 1, 2009
 
If you Google, the Board decided to pursue the matter at its April meeting, but did not actually issue its Notice until the August meeting, at which point it became a matter of public record.

It is my understanding that the basic facts are true, the question is how the details will affect the outcome.
Luna Blu

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Sep 1, 2009
 
The story in the paper was free press. However, when my neighbor insisted she come over to tell me some big news, the things Dr. Sparks supposed did was off the wall and hugely exaggerated. I feel the paper has done Dr. Sparks much harm. If the State Board exonerates her, how does she defend against the wrong, erroneous gossip?
I have assisted on hundreds of surgeries and if she is guilty, then so are the other nurses and doctors in the operating room, who aided and abetted this type behavior.
LaJefa1

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Sep 1, 2009
 
Wow! Hope we will soon find out the truth! She performed surgery on 2 of my daughters when they were young. I had heard some things about her like her not diagnosing the problem right and her jst wanting 2 do surgery right away so i got a second opinion with my 2nd child. They agreed and we had the procedure done. Everything ok now.
But... I hope this is not true? But you never know? Creepy!
Serena C

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Sep 1, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Luna Blu wrote:
The story in the paper was free press. However, when my neighbor insisted she come over to tell me some big news, the things Dr. Sparks supposed did was off the wall and hugely exaggerated. I feel the paper has done Dr. Sparks much harm. If the State Board exonerates her, how does she defend against the wrong, erroneous gossip?

I have assisted on hundreds of surgeries and if she is guilty, then so are the other nurses and doctors in the operating room, who aided and abetted this type behavior.
I have to agree, something just doesn't add up. I've had surgery 2x in my life and neither time was I left alone. As a matter of fact, the doctor left the O.R. before I did. Nonetheless...the board will not contact past patients, even if they have been unknowingly violated and proof exists. So if in fact these allegations are true, a) there is more than one person involved b) there are people who probably still don't know that they were violated. I still don't feel like anything was amiss with her. While she may have misdiagnosed people, no one on this forum is yet to confirm that they were in fact treated unethically. I'm going to wait until all the facts come out before making my mind up.
Janice

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Sep 1, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Sheri Rodriguez wrote:
Thank God for people who step up to the plate to report these kinds of actions. I would imagine that it did not come without consequences that will need to be dealt with.
I wonder if her sexual preference has anything to do with this.
Please make an effort towards education regarding sexual perpetrators and the motivation behind such behaviors. To imply that it has anything to do with sexual identity is ludicrous! Sexual abuse is about power and control, not sexual preferences. It is inappropriate to try to connect such behaviors to homosexuality, and it creates an unfair categorization of the LGBT community!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of469
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pinos Altos Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••