BREAKING: Las Cruces man arrested on ...

BREAKING: Las Cruces man arrested on 2008 Grant County murder suspicion (10:17 a.m.)

There are 128 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from May 11, 2011, titled BREAKING: Las Cruces man arrested on 2008 Grant County murder suspicion (10:17 a.m.). In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

A Las Cruces man has been charged with an open count of murder for allegedly killing a Grant County woman more than two years ago, according to court documents filed at Magistrate Court in Silver City Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

whatever

Las Cruces, NM

#42 May 11, 2011
what t f wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me what Chris did?? He is probably the only capable detective at the Sheriff dept. Unliked but Capable.
I think that it speaks volumes of who Chris Ponce is as a Detective. Law Enforcement Officers have a tendency to jealously guard cases they have been assigned in hopes of being the individual who breaks a case. The mere fact that Detective Ponce asked for help from another Law Enforcement agency tells me that he cared more about the victim and her families than any personal glory. You can't ask for more than that and my hat's off to you Detective Ponce!
Someone

Las Cruces, NM

#43 May 11, 2011
Hallelujah!!! May she rest in peace now. I hope those 2 pay to the fullest extent and rot!!!

Rachel, you will never be forgotten and always missed!
Gloria

Albuquerque, NM

#44 May 11, 2011
Finally! Now maybe the family can rest a little better. She is missed terribly. Think of her every day. God be with the family.
Scary

Eastpointe, MI

#45 May 11, 2011
He looks seriously deranged in that picture.
Friend

Huntsville, AL

#46 May 11, 2011
Now that they found the murderer of dear Rachel, i think we should be gratefull to both grant county sheriffs and the state police. they all worked together to solve this case. may she rest in peace!
a friend

Albuquerque, NM

#47 May 12, 2011
thank goodness

Albuquerque, NM

#48 May 12, 2011
Jamie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...if you know something you dont have to share it here...but i think EVERYONE would really appreciate and encourage you to share it with law enforcement. What kind of abuse are the children of these creeps going through...It is time. No more BS coming or going across the table. Just think...you might help the kid!
so true..that little boy of theirs who doesn't deserve to have been brought to this world and to live in their chaos...and as far as i know her (bernadette) older son is very well off living with the father.
pete and repeat

Rio Rancho, NM

#49 May 12, 2011
what about the woman? has she been arrested? she was obviously involved.

reat in peace, rachel. we think of you frequently and miss that big ole smile!
friend of Rachel

Albuquerque, NM

#50 May 12, 2011
I think we can all say how much we dearly loved Rachel, and I know she confided in many of us.. so it is a bit clear as day at what happened, and we are not shocked to hear of this arrest.
Viola Villanueva

Las Vegas, NV

#51 May 12, 2011
Praise God they found him!
unknown

La Luz, NM

#52 May 12, 2011
wow i lived in silver city two years ago when and having known both him nad his wife they always seemed shady and both liars. I hope they both get what they deserve what sick people they are .
Brother of Rachel Sierra

Silver City, NM

#54 May 12, 2011
LC Veteran wrote:
Hopefully someone can show some harm done. Otherwise this young man will be set free on general principles.
Maybe some of the Grant County wrens can weave a sympathy blanket we can see evidence of some wrongdoing?
There's two drug abusers here. One was snuffed. One is left holding a sorrid bag and huffing.
Can we not make this into something major? Either lock up the loser or let him go back to a Wal-Mart job.
Hey LC, why don't you get your facts straight before you accuse. I have known Rachel to have never used illegal drugs and to drink on an extremely rare occasion. She loved being in control of her faculties. So, LC Vet, think before you type, or don't type at all!!!
FU Elkstine

Silver City, NM

#55 May 12, 2011
This is a direct result of inbreeding and Meth. What a looser he is. But he will be out on paroll to do it all over again in a couple of years. Now for the cops that didn't show up to his past 5 trials and he got off because of a miss trial, you guys suck.
Family Friend

Grapevine, TX

#56 May 12, 2011
1) Show some respect for Rachael's family. I admire what her brother is doing and has done for his mom & sister.

2) Allen Hurley is mental case who was part of the Swish program in Silver City. He is mentally retarded and only an idiot can concoct some of his "self defense" ideas w/ a high powered rifle.

3)Bernadette is not a sane person either. Her history of being mean, lying, unfit mother, etc. are all indications that she is probably very much involved. I do feel sorry for her family because they are nothing like her.

4)Rachael - I am so sorry that you were treated so bad after trying to help your childhood friend.
Carmen

Santa Fe, NM

#57 May 12, 2011
I won't feel totally happy until this criminal is behind bars for a very long time. Rachael was a ray of sunshine in all out lives. I only knew her from being a customer of Sonic, but the gift she had was noticed immediately upon meeting her. This sweet girl's untimely death has been so disturbing for all of us.. If the wife was involved, then I pray that she is punished accordingly.
Carmen

Santa Fe, NM

#58 May 12, 2011
LC Veteran wrote:
Hopefully someone can show some harm done. Otherwise this young man will be set free on general principles.
Maybe some of the Grant County wrens can weave a sympathy blanket we can see evidence of some wrongdoing?
There's two drug abusers here. One was snuffed. One is left holding a sorrid bag and huffing.
Can we not make this into something major? Either lock up the loser or let him go back to a Wal-Mart job.
I believe that your comments are totally misguided and out of line. If you have the stones to make these assumptions, then you better be armed with FACTS. Shame on you!
Grant

Queen Creek, AZ

#59 May 13, 2011
I'm glad they're finally doing something about this and putting this psychopath behind bars, but we all know it shouldn't have taken this long. Rachel was a good person and this guy deserves the worst punishment NM has to offer.

And to those people making comments like LC Veteran and Carol, this is not the place to throw around your stereotypes and hate speech and fill in the blanks with whatever "facts" you like. Rachel was someone's daughter and sister and her family's grief is real, even if you think it's a joke because it didn't happen to someone you love. I feel sorry for the ignorance of these people and worse for Rachel's family when they have to read them. They should be trying to embrace this small victory in a terrible tragedy, not hear insults and accusations about the person they lost.

Rest in peace Rachel.
MISSING RACHEL

Albuquerque, NM

#61 May 13, 2011
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!! CAROL... THAT WAS HORRIBLE AND HATEFUL!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!!
Binky

Huntsville, AL

#62 May 13, 2011
Hurley looks horrible in the mug shot, but the bad part is - that is how he looks in person too. You know something is wrong with Bernadette. Someone in there right mind won't take a 2nd look at the guy, much less marry him and have a kid with him.

By the way it sounds, he'll probably get off pleading he is mentally unstable or something like that. "The voices told me to do it". Both him and his wife need to pay for their crime or crimes!!
rachels cousin

Lancaster, PA

#64 May 13, 2011
friend of Rachel wrote:
Rachel was nice to him only because of his wife.. his wife had to know or be involved.
i agree with that totally and wonder when she is gonna get hers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Confirmed Denny's IS moving into Silver City (Nov '08) Wed Edwin 28
News Pink Store Valentine's Day Customer Appreciatio... (Feb '11) Jan 17 Panhead_Mike 10
News Couple recounts wilderness ordeal (Sep '09) Jan 17 gcomp112 20
News Palace Hotel offers historic experience (Mar '08) Jan 11 xela1415 7
News Man released from jail by mistake, still at large (May '10) Jan 6 Shaun Sandoval 33
News Deming man arrested on kidnapping, rape charges... (Mar '11) Dec 30 Silly 35
News Deming MainStreet puts focus on economic develo... (Jan '10) Nov '16 Jackie 53

Pinos Altos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pinos Altos Mortgages