Small cafe a big hit

Two Spirits Cafe is about as small a restaurant as one can imagine, but it has stirred up a big response. Full Story
elkstine

Silver City, NM

#1 Nov 1, 2009
As usual for Silver City the prices are as high as the altitude. At the Flying J in Lordsburg you can get 3 eggs, hash browns, toast and chicken fried steak (fresh that fills the plate.) all for only $8.00. No where in Grant County can you get a meal like that for that price. This is not Santa Fe, but the Artsy Fartsy crowd wish it were.
We don't have a decent place to take our family for dinner because Mr. May wants to keep the Red Barn in business. Sometimes this place sucks because of that jerk.
Remember we could have had a giant movie theater, bowling alley and Restaurant right here in Silver City, but no Mr. May didn't want the competition.

“Silver City's Topix Editor”

Since: Jul 07

Silver City, NM

#2 Nov 1, 2009
Elkstine, if you actually knew what you were talking about, I might take you seriously. Your one redeeming characteristic is that when someone challenges you here you usually slink away without responding. So, let's look at some facts:

1. Flying J, the company that you mention so favorably, is bankrupt. See:

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_13016785 .

2. To my knowledge, Mr. May hasn't been associated with the Red Barn for close to ten years. Last I heard, he was working for Border Area Mental Health Services after selling the Adobe Springs Cafe more than two years ago.

3. Trans-Lux, the company that was planning on opening the movie theatre, has sold off *all* their theatres in order to concentrate on their core business-- the design and manufacture of LED display systems. They offered the site in Silver City for sale, but I don't think anybody was interested. See:

http://www.trans-lux.com/press_releases/pr_07...

4. The story that Mr. May somehow prevented the theatre or a bowling alley or a restaurant is BS, pure and simple. In particular, the restaurant rumor has been circulating for some time. The simple fact of the matter is that we haven't got a Denny's or Applebee's in Silver City because there isn't enough business to support one. Deming has a Denny's, but it's right next to a major Interstate highway... which we don't have. Las Cruces has both a Denny's and an Applebee's, but the town is situated at the intersection of TWO major Interstates and has a population that is nine times the size of Silver.

Geez, I'm surprised that you didn't find a way to include your usual complaint about the speed traps on Little Walnut. Have I left anything out?
Country Boy

Silver City, NM

#3 Nov 1, 2009
elkstine wrote:
As usual for Silver City the prices are as high as the altitude. At the Flying J in Lordsburg you can get 3 eggs, hash browns, toast and chicken fried steak (fresh that fills the plate.) all for only $8.00. No where in Grant County can you get a meal like that for that price. This is not Santa Fe, but the Artsy Fartsy crowd wish it were.
We don't have a decent place to take our family for dinner because Mr. May wants to keep the Red Barn in business. Sometimes this place sucks because of that jerk.
Remember we could have had a giant movie theater, bowling alley and Restaurant right here in Silver City, but no Mr. May didn't want the competition.
Which "Mr. May" are you talking about? If you are talking about the Mr. May who owned the Red Barn, he died several years ago. His wife is the sole owner of the Red Barn. If you are talking about the Mr. May who is also a city councilman in Silver City, that Mr. May has not been part of the Red Barn management for many years.

You make baseless claims and allegations, going so far as to call one of those Mr. May's a jerk. elkstine, any one with any common sense knows who the real jerk is, and it's neither of the Mr. May's.

In the past, did one of those gentlemen fire you for laziness, misconduct, theft, or just generally a bad attitue? Any one (or all) of those descriptions most likely fits you to a tee.

And, finally, what does the "Artsy-Fartsy" crowd (your words) have to do with your perception of high prices of restaurant food in Silver City?

I have a great suggestion for you. Why don't you and your family move to Lordsburg where you can eat at cheaper restaurants and be done with the "Artsy-Fartsy" crowd?
elkstine

Silver City, NM

#4 Nov 1, 2009
For Mr. Hellman and Mr. Country Boy
It appears that if it doesn't fit in your small world of approval that anyone that has a different view is a lesser person. To you both I say get a life. You’re both opionated beyond belief. Mr. May the drug dealer or the father of a drug dealer the city council man kept the Sky Max from Silver City. More jobs for our town and by the way they pack the place 7 days a week. The prices here are way out for where we live. It's people like you that keep this place in the toilet. Yah you guys are probably part of the Artsy Fartsy Crowd and need to relocate to Santa Fe.
I read your crap in the forums and wonder that you don't have anything better to do then to cap on people that express their opinion. To Mitch Hellman you’re not a topics editor you’re a blow hart under false pretenses. Or another way of saying it "You Suck” If Flying J were bankrupt then why do they sell fuel .20 to 40 cents cheaper then Silver City? Both you and Country Boy are living in a fantasy, probably 80 plus years old and stuck with nothing else to do but stay on the forums. So when challenged do I hide? You’re Ass.
When you two decide to get a life let me know and I'll gladely respond to your stupid remarks. Until then focus on the content of the artical instead of what others feel.(first amendment)
Country Boy

Silver City, NM

#5 Nov 2, 2009
elkstine wrote:
It appears that if it doesn't fit in your small world of approval that anyone that has a different view is a lesser person. To you both I say get a life. You’re both opionated beyond belief. Mr. May the drug dealer or the father of a drug dealer the city council man kept the Sky Max from Silver City. More jobs for our town and by the way they pack the place 7 days a week. The prices here are way out for where we live. It's people like you that keep this place in the toilet. Yah you guys are probably part of the Artsy Fartsy Crowd and need to relocate to Santa Fe.
I read your crap in the forums and wonder that you don't have anything better to do then to cap on people that express their opinion. To Mitch Hellman you’re not a topics editor you’re a blow hart under false pretenses. Or another way of saying it "You Suck” If Flying J were bankrupt then why do they sell fuel .20 to 40 cents cheaper then Silver City? Both you and Country Boy are living in a fantasy, probably 80 plus years old and stuck with nothing else to do but stay on the forums. So when challenged do I hide? You’re Ass.
When you two decide to get a life let me know and I'll gladely respond to your stupid remarks. Until then focus on the content of the artical instead of what others feel.(first amendment)
elkstine, you are the one who is living in a fantasy (nightmare?) world full of hate and suspicion. I almost feel sorry for you. You need help.

Silver City, NM

#6 Nov 2, 2009
elkstine wrote:
It appears that if it doesn't fit in your small world of approval that anyone that has a different view is a lesser person.
I don't consider you a lesser person-- but apparently you consider yourself one. As Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
elkstine wrote:
Mr. May the drug dealer or the father of a drug dealer the city council man kept the Sky Max from Silver City.

Silver City, NM

#7 Nov 2, 2009
(The system truncated my response above. Here it is in its entirety.)
elkstine wrote:
It appears that if it doesn't fit in your small world of approval that anyone that has a different view is a lesser person.
I don't consider you a lesser person-- but apparently you consider yourself one. As Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
elkstine wrote:
Mr. May the drug dealer or the father of a drug dealer the city council man kept the Sky Max from Silver City.
Exactly what did he do? I already pointed out that he has not been involved in the hospitality business for several years, so he would have no personal interest in doing anything like what you allege. Second: to my knowledge, the company behind Sky Max did not approach Silver City. Third: even if they *had* been interested in setting up in Silver City, there is no way that the town council could stop them from doing so (provided they obeyed zoning regs, etc.). Fourth: Trans-Lux, the company that *was* interested in setting up in Silver City (and is not connected in any way to Sky Max) has sold out all of their entertainment investments, according to the press release I mentioned in my previous message.
elkstine wrote:
If Flying J were bankrupt then why do they sell fuel .20 to 40 cents cheaper then Silver City?
The answer to that is so simple, I'm surprised you didn't think of it: when you're short on cash, you do whatever is necessary to get some, even if it means cutting prices. Not that it matters what they do-- they're legally in bankruptcy and the article I mentioned proves it beyond a doubt.
elkstine wrote:
Until then focus on the content of the artical instead of what others feel.(first amendment)
What could possibly have caused you to include mention of the First Amendment? It applies only to the federal government-- not to individuals, corporate entities, newspapers, online forums, or anything else. Here it is in its entirety:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
As I said in my first message, you don't know what you're talking about-- and you keep proving it again and again.

Come back when you have some provable facts, not unsubstantiated rumors about Mr. May. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he went after you for libel-- then you'll find out that free speech has its limits. Quoting from the Wikipedia entry on Defamation:
"In law, defamation – also called calumny, libel, slander (for spoken words), and vilification (for written or otherwise published words)– is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. It is usually, but not always, a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant)."
One last thing: notice how I was able to respond to you without the childish name-calling that you use?
Observer

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Nov 2, 2009
How sad this link has been turned into debating corner regarding the perceived high prices for restaurant food in Silver City -- not to mention the horrible attacks on Steve May's reputation -- when we should be commenting on the Two Spirits Cafe.

My wife and I have dined there for lunch on several occasions and we found the food delicious! I was a little disappointed with their iced tea, and the lack of real sugar for sweetening your beverages, but other than those two points, we enjoyed our food and the friendliness of staff.

We definitely will return.(I'll take my sugar packets with me!)
elkstine

Silver City, NM

#9 Nov 2, 2009
To Mr. Hellman
As your name suggest, you are probably a Dem. Over 80 and have had your head up somebodys butt for your entire life. I have protected your freedoms for 4 years of my life and refuse to give in to idiots like you that think that they know everything. Remember you were the first one to throw stones. You can quote anything you want but you were the first one to try and undermine someone's opinion. Your a jurk. Your an idiot. Now try and sue me. Show your real face and not hide behind a false pretense. You have not made a major decission in your entire life, you have ridden the coattails of someone else. Your an example of what's wrong with America today. Your probably a Wolf lover and a tree hugger. Pay your taxes and shut up. Let people express their opinion without attacking them. Enough said and wasted cyber time on an idiot.

Silver City, NM

#10 Nov 2, 2009
As Johnny Carson used to say: "Wrong again, Buffalo Breath!"

I'm not sure what you meant by my name suggesting that I am a Democrat, but stop by some time and I'll show you on my voter registration where it shows that I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican. Also, you missed my correct age by about a quarter of a century. You're just shooting in the dark, which is funny considering that I am known to about half of the people in this town.

As for throwing stones, all I did was prove that the facts behind your opinion were either faulty or non-existent. You are entitled to your opinion-- and I'm entitled to prove that you're wrong. If you run off at the mouth, you should expect somebody to call you on it; this time it was my turn, and I must say that it's been fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pinos Altos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Sat JOEL 70,577
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Nov 21 savant 40
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov 7 Realist 615
Hearing set for teen who allegedly shot father ... (Jan '11) Oct 29 Circe 6
Mimbres area Oct 24 Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct '14 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct '14 yankeedudell 3
Pinos Altos Dating
Find my Match

Pinos Altos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pinos Altos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pinos Altos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:27 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:27PM
Dolphins Put AFC on Notice Despite Loss
Bleacher Report 7:29 PM
Is Arizona Still the Best Team in the NFC?
Bleacher Report 7:51 PM
Cardinals Exposed, Finally Show Signs of Weakness
NBC Sports 8:10 PM
Chiefs have to be opportunistic against Broncos
NBC Sports 8:13 PM
Broncos open as slight favorites at Kansas City