Duuuuuude

Edinburg, VA

#22 Nov 19, 2010
I live in Shenandoah County (the home of Shentel) and I have to say, if they can't get their home county's internet taken care of, there is little help for the rest of you. I work in Mt. Jackson, and, like clockwork, the internet becomes almost unusable from 11:30 to 1:00 every day. And they have a monopoly on broadband internet (except satellite) in the county. I am praying for someone, anyone else.
HHT

United States

#23 Nov 25, 2010
Shentel is becoming a monopoly much like Verizon was, shentel is a landline phone provider and should have remained that instead of entering the cable,internet, and Voip services. They dont provide there employees the proper training necessary, nor the tools to complete the jobs, most all installation is done by contractors, and most employees are right of the streets with little to now knowledge. They run off or fire there better employees and if you ever work for them do not tell a future employer, a few friends of mine that quit them did, and the company told the other company not to hire them, which I am pretty sure is against the law.. But does anyone really ever win lawsuits against companies like this one..
Slow Azz Internet

Forest, VA

#24 Nov 30, 2010
SHENTEL SUCKS!!! Even when it was Jetbroadband before...it sucked!!! I pay for MACH 3 internet and get speeds below MACH 1. It's f*cking ridiculous....and don't bother about asking for a credit....they won't give it to you at all! I agree they are holding down the monopoly in my area...they are not even following through with the franchise agreement with the county. I haven't thought about complaining with the FCC...I will definitely be doing that. They are committing fraud and stealing my money for a service that sucks! I agree their should be a class action lawsuit against these thieves!!!
wvu fan

Oceana, WV

#25 Dec 14, 2010
Paying for 8mbs and getting .5 mbs. Is anyone else getting tried of this internet?? Call and complain then they come out and find nothing wrong with the line or modem... heres an idea Shentel... GET SOME MORE BANDWITH OR STOP SIGNING PEOPLE UP FOR INTERNET!!!!!!
yeah

Pineville, WV

#26 Dec 15, 2010
I have their internet and phone service. I also have slow speeds and my phone doesn't work half the time. Something will be done or I'll drop my whole package.
crooks

Winston Salem, NC

#27 Dec 16, 2010
They are terible! my mom is sick and we live far away from her and her phone is out like every other week! what if she falls or pass out from her dibetes? she's never be able to call for help. if it happen we will sue so fast it won't be funny! maybe then they fix it!
pissed

Pineville, WV

#28 Dec 17, 2010
My mom fell and hit her head out in the driveway trying to showel snow. Her Shentel phone went out shortly after she told us she fell. I couldn't get a hold of her and we started to think she passed out or something. I had to drive over in covered snow roads and make her come and stay with us. This is a very serious problem and they need to work quicker and get it fixed!! This is a true story.
I told you so

Welch, WV

#29 Dec 20, 2010
I told everybody that would listen, "do not get internet phone!" it sucks and doesn't work half the time, especially in the hills of WV. The phone company can't be beat, I know phone is a little over priced, "but" it works all the time, even in power outages, I want my phone, you never know what might happen when the cable isn't working for what ever reason, I want to be able to call for help if needed.
One of my neighbors jumped on the wagon as soon as jetbroadband got internet phone, one night he got sick, his wife came to my house to call 911 because their's didn't work, when he got out of the hospitol he called Verizon, it cost him a reconnection fee, guess who won't do that again.
Stick with your land line phone people, for your own good.
Brandon

Forest, VA

#30 Dec 22, 2010
Well, let me start off by saying that I first signed up when Jet broadband was offered in my area. I purchased the MachIII internet service only (at that time it was rated at 8mbps down). I would get consistently between 8-15mbps down. Since about 6-8months ago, MachIII is the same price and they claim 12mbps down. I am now lucky to get between 1-4mbps down. I have called numerous times and they tell me that they are upgrading the lines and that is the reason. The only other service I can get is Verizon dsl (dont want that for sure). Someone needs to do something, and its not just Shentel, its everyone that provides internet/cell service. They are over selling for what they can provide. Its horrible.

Since: Jan 11

Forest, VA

#31 Jan 11, 2011
meto wrote:
I filed a complaint online yesterday to the FCC and fyi I'm not the only one to do this. Hopefully if enough people will do this the FCC will take care of our problems.And if that doesn't light a fire under their a**es I don't know what will.
please let me know how to place a complaint with FCC. Also cable companies have contracts with your counties and cities, try getting in touch with them to complain. I also have mach III package and between 3:00pm until way after 9:00pm I don't even get a quarter most of the time 1Mb - 2MB of the 12MB I pay for. something has to be done.
fed up too

AOL

#32 Jan 12, 2011
mauvemotherof3 wrote:
<quoted text>
please let me know how to place a complaint with FCC. Also cable companies have contracts with your counties and cities, try getting in touch with them to complain. I also have mach III package and between 3:00pm until way after 9:00pm I don't even get a quarter most of the time 1Mb - 2MB of the 12MB I pay for. something has to be done.
something definately needs to be done. shentel says they are upgrading lines, well.........i haven't seen them anywhere in the county doing upgrades. they are lying to their customers and getting paid for a service they aren't providing.
fcc needs to step in and make them give all their customers rebates for false advertising.
if we are having problems, you'd think that our county and city officials are as well. the officials should take action for us, if they were in fact doing their jobs.
Hardy_va shentel customer

Union Hall, VA

#33 Jan 16, 2011
Slow Azz Internet wrote:
SHENTEL SUCKS!!! Even when it was Jetbroadband before...it sucked!!! I pay for MACH 3 internet and get speeds below MACH 1. It's f*cking ridiculous....and don't bother about asking for a credit....they won't give it to you at all! I agree they are holding down the monopoly in my area...they are not even following through with the franchise agreement with the county. I haven't thought about complaining with the FCC...I will definitely be doing that. They are committing fraud and stealing my money for a service that sucks! I agree their should be a class action lawsuit against these thieves!!!
Slow over near Westlake too... Sick of this it's been a long time since I've gotten my mach 3 speed. This cable internet is NOT worth the price. We need some healthy competition in our area, I'm going to go complain at the town meetings and see if they can make them provide better service. Shentel is NOT abiding by their contracts to us.
hardy_va_near westlake

Union Hall, VA

#34 Jan 16, 2011
I just tested my Shentel at the Franklin Co. Accelerate Va website. It reports your speeds etc to the state.
I want this horrible cable internet to be completely documented. It's the 4th cable company in our area in about 4 yrs or so. Charter,Suddenlink,Jetbroadban d and now Shentel which is the VERY worst of all four.
Funny thing is Shentel sent a tech out to my house and gave me their Personal speed test check isp address. Each time you check your speed there it's perfect, but if you go directly to any other speedtest site it is extremely slow. Im suppost to be Mach 3 and I'm getting terrible slow speeds dnlds around 1.5 mbs..
I can't even enjoy netflix movies anymore online that I pay a subscription fee for. Buffering on most videos etc.
Here's the link to test and document your speeds through the Franklin Co. Website.
http://www.franklincountyva.gov/info-tech/Acc...
james

Welch, WV

#35 Jan 16, 2011
They installed a pole on my property without even my family giving them permission. How pathetic is that? I've actually talked to an attorney and i have a legit case, just unsure if I want to proceed. We can't let them run over us like that this with service that sucks and their response is just as pathetic as this weather.
sheeeeeeeeeeeee

United States

#36 Jan 18, 2011
I see that other people are having the same problems that I am having.I got to say I have Frontier internet and it is ok so far.(dial up) I will switch to Direct Tv. yes the lines are laying in the road and tangled up in the trees. Why oh! why dont they listen to people who know what is happening out here. Verizon left a mess at white Oak hollow road and 16, so look out Shentel you are going to have such a mess when the rain comes and the wind blows just a little, that is all that it will take. My telephone service is frontier and yes I have been out a couple times but fixed. Good Luck Shentel you are going to need it.
Gory

Cambridge, MD

#37 Jan 21, 2011
Franklin County VA - since Shentel took over the service has gone to heck. We call customer service 2 times a week, last night the poor girl sounded depressed over all the complaints she is recieving, I have never felt sorry for a customer service rep before!.
They have told us it was our wireless router - we replaced it and it wasn't, they said it was the modem, switched that too. They say they are upgrading the infrastructure, but can't say ehre or when it will be fixed. They say the tech will call before he comes - he never does, and one time he drove up the driveway and put a note saying we were not in on the door - we were, I saw him drive away without knocking.
I cannot believe that such a poor service can be possible - if there were any option I would run far, far away from them.
Is there no accountability for these people, what can a customer do to complain or get them kicked out of the county?
Jet was not the best, Shentel is the pits.
Shentel in wytheville va

Wytheville, VA

#38 Feb 9, 2011
Nothing new just everything I have read here for other people. Paying for mach 3 and getting crap. When it was jetbroadband here the internet was really good and from the time shentel took over it sux so bad!!!! Im going to change companys before to long because the cable sux as well!!!! I hope shentel sees this post.
tom

United States

#39 Feb 10, 2011
i went with verizon and directv package cant be beat might be a little higher but no problems
Loud Comercials

Oceana, WV

#40 Feb 16, 2011
The comercials are so loud, it is very annoying.
ear busters

Oceana, WV

#41 Feb 17, 2011
Loud Comercials wrote:
The comercials are so loud, it is very annoying.
they are more like ear busters

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angie 6 min Sherry 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 1 hr River Tam 101,589
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 1 hr COOTERDOG 14,912
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 3 hr River Tam 44,199
4 Charged With Murder (Jan '16) 6 hr Sherry 3
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 7 hr purplelady1040 40,022
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 10 hr luci 11,366

Pineville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pineville Mortgages