ItsStarting

Mount Hope, WV

#1 Dec 10, 2009
A Pittsburgh-based coal company, CONSOL Energy, will lay off nearly 500 of its West Virginia workers next year and its CEO blames environmentalists dead-set against mountaintop mining who have waged “nuisance” lawsuits for the job loss.
But CONSOL Energy’s political problems are not unique to the mining industry, which has suffered under the Obama Administration. The Environmental Protection Agency is already holding 79 surface mining permits in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee. The EPA says these permits could violate the Clean Water Act and warrant "enhanced" review. And, agency went even further in October, announcing plans to revoke a permit for the Spruce No. 1 Mine in West Virginia.
The latest setback for the coal industry was announced on Tuesday when CONSOL Energy said close to 500 workers would lose jobs at their Fola Operations location near Bickmore, West Virginia in February 2010.....
More mines will be laying off next year as well. People save your money hard times are ahead.
I have also heard Massey may be laying off 500 to a thousand all together next year or even more if cap and trade passes.
goodgrief

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Dec 10, 2009
will be more to come as long as Obama is in office.
Swansong

United States

#3 Dec 10, 2009
Its odd that these layoffs are being made anticipatory to permits that either have not yet been or issued permits that have not yet been revoked. I don't think this is the entire picture.
Coal is a cash and carry business demand for coal is inextricably tied to market conditions, which in the midst of a recession are not conducive to the sale of any service or product, that includes coal. And, CONSOL and its legal team, formidable I assume, knew that the publications omitted necessary mitigation plans well in advance of the court case and did nothing to correct the defeciencies. Read the court decision.
I am not taking sides on this, but when the industry knows the rules and does not follow them it seems to me that they are not doing their part to maintain their operations and ergo the jobs their employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 min Weepy 100,602
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 9 min Eternal truth 22,410
1977 Murder of Deputy Maynard in McDowell Court... (May '07) 21 min Marlowe2nd 222
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 27 min luci 10,976
Word game (Jun '12) 36 min luci 1,415
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 1 hr purplelady1040 38,941
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 3 hr SWAMP WITCH 5,817

Pineville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pineville Mortgages