black panther in NC
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 May 26, 2009
That is a neat photo! It looks like a black jaguar, though I don't know how one would get as far Norh as NC. When & where ( what part of NC ), was it taken if you don't mind me asking?
silver moon

Walker, WV

#2 May 27, 2009
Hi! Northern NC, earlier this month. Recently a border camera in Texas caught an image of a jaguar on the Mexican border, but I think this may be a native species. My husband's grandfather was one of the first to settle Panther, WV- he said he and his father killed 2 in the late 20s. My own grandfather saw one in Paint Creek in the late 30s. Pretty wild!
West Virginia

Hurricane, WV

#3 Jul 27, 2009
We live in the Cross Lanes/Nitro West Virginia area. When we first moved on a freshly cut out field below the old landfill in 2001 we heard a screaming cat like nothing I ever heard. Each spring a wild cat comes down close to the edge of the woods. Our beagle tucks his tail for days and won't eat when it comes close to the house. I and my husband saw it passing through the deep woods one day. It was far larger than a normal black house cat and had a long tail. We were shocked at it's size, and then again one spring it was on a log in the woods up on the hill across from our house. I would be tempted to say "Oh it was just a huge cat, but the screaming tells me otherwise. If you want to research it, search the encircled Sycamore landfill on the Cross Lanes side of the mountain.
justlooking

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 27, 2009
My husband saw one near New Richmond a few years back.

Since: Dec 08

AOL

#5 Jul 30, 2009
I need to say what I saw about 4 years ago I use to come to Wv.about 3 times a year for A month at A time, I would go four wheeling every morning about 9:00ish am and around 3-4pm and I stopped my four wheeler near the edge of A pretty good size cliff one evening out of the corner of my eye I caught A good look at this huge cat looking which jumped up and took off across this ridge above me,I at first thought it might be A Bear but again it did not run like a Bear it had a feline kind of run,I mention this to my nephew who lives on the old homeplace now ,I think he mention this to D.N.R.person from what I was told as feedback I don't think they believed the story I will leave this as is.I have saw Panther before and I know what one looks like when I see one.right there in pineville Wv.on Bearhole area
bystander2

AOL

#6 Aug 9, 2009
I have seen three in my whole life. Two up little cub creek behind the Baileysville H.S. and one up close in Mill Creek( the one on crouches farm), when I was in the woods taking care of some business. Noone will believe you unless they have seen them themselves.
wildman

Oceana, WV

#7 Aug 9, 2009
DO we really know what is outhere
LuvitLoud

AOL

#8 May 25, 2010
Loved the photo!!!I saw a cat just like it in Nov of 2009.It was as big as my brothers full grown Lab.My Daughter & her boyfriend bought a brick home in the country between Fair Bluff & Fairmont,N.C.It had stood empty for several years & had not seen much traffic untill they started remodeling.The day was sunny & warm.It was around 3:15 pm.The cat crossed the front yard like it was right at home.I just happened to be standing at the front window.It hung around for about 5 minutes & glided softly into the thick woods across the road.It was an awsome site to see,& I'll never forget it!!!
trappin_girl

United States

#9 Dec 29, 2010
ya i have a bunch of non believers in panthers being in the united statese... maybe this will prove them otherwise i have seen a few of them in my short time on this earth. i live in cedarville,wv
Nope

Frisco, TX

#10 Dec 29, 2010
That is a really good picture of a "fisher cat", a WV native species, almost always mistaken for a "panther". Do the research yourself, don't ya think if panthers were out there somebody would eventually kill one? Never happens though does it? The fisher cat is smaller than a cougar, and does let out the "baby screams" you are hearing, gamecam pics can portray them larger than they really are. Very nocturnal and skittish creature, but they are seen occasionally. Hope that clears it up for ya.
The Mothman

Virginia, MN

#11 Jan 8, 2011
Nope wrote:
That is a really good picture of a "fisher cat", a WV native species, almost always mistaken for a "panther". Do the research yourself, don't ya think if panthers were out there somebody would eventually kill one? Never happens though does it? The fisher cat is smaller than a cougar, and does let out the "baby screams" you are hearing, gamecam pics can portray them larger than they really are. Very nocturnal and skittish creature, but they are seen occasionally. Hope that clears it up for ya.
so true,its a Fisher cat Ive seen 2 here in WV,a lot of ppl mistaken then for a black panther
bxz

Conway, SC

#12 Sep 19, 2012
Seen one while hunting i lower eastern of nc
For real

Oceana, WV

#13 Sep 20, 2012
There are some in Pineville, some in Mullens, very few in Oceana area. Of course that area has too many druggies to have panthers.
bxz

Myrtle Beach, SC

#14 Sep 28, 2012
i am not lying
HillWife

Paintsville, KY

#15 Jan 6, 2013
In 2005 my husband and I spent our spare time 4-wheeling in the mountains of Mingo and Logan Counties of WV with others. We spotted a black panther as it jumped and ran on a cliff above the 4-wheeling path. About 3 months later, near dusk, my husband and I let other friends ride on a head while we sat and took a break on the path. A pair of golden eyes came up over the ridge about 20 feet ahead of us and to the right of us. And then the cat...he ran toward us and then by us...I could have stretched my leg out and touched it with my foot...it was that close. So muscular and graceful!! One of a few of the most awesome sights I have ever experienced. We will never forget this. my husband's mother told me of the screaming panthers they heard in the woods while living in these counties.
Sylvek

Troy, VA

#16 Jan 6, 2013
West Virginia wrote:
We live in the Cross Lanes/Nitro West Virginia area. When we first moved on a freshly cut out field below the old landfill in 2001 we heard a screaming cat like nothing I ever heard. Each spring a wild cat comes down close to the edge of the woods. Our beagle tucks his tail for days and won't eat when it comes close to the house. I and my husband saw it passing through the deep woods one day. It was far larger than a normal black house cat and had a long tail. We were shocked at it's size, and then again one spring it was on a log in the woods up on the hill across from our house. I would be tempted to say "Oh it was just a huge cat, but the screaming tells me otherwise. If you want to research it, search the encircled Sycamore landfill on the Cross Lanes side of the mountain.
Send me some of your hallucigenic drugs.
Sylvek

Troy, VA

#17 Jan 6, 2013
bxz wrote:
i am not lying
After smoking a dubbie I start all my stories "You ain't gonna believe this shytte but!!!!!!
Sylvek

Troy, VA

#18 Jan 6, 2013
I was in an old haunted house in Jesse, Wv. saw two ghost from long ago sitting by a black panther.
lol

Beckley, WV

#19 Jan 7, 2013
Black panther in WV is the same as big foot. Everyone sees him but can never prove it. OK so you dont get a picture but funny how there is never even a track on the ground. When you kill one or get a pic thats not fuzzy and can show exact location of where pic was taken then you can say your telling the truth. Until then keep up with the good ghost stories.
lol

Beckley, WV

#20 Jan 7, 2013
Oh and though they are rare in the state they can sound like a screaming woman. They are much bigger than a hosue cat and range from dark brown in color to almost black. They do love higher elecation mountain. Most people hearing the rare screaming woman panther is in fact hearing the rare fisher. Most people dont even know what a fisher is but the good news is theya re starting a good comeback and staring to spread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 17 min -Prince- 10,272
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 20 min -Prince- 4,968
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 23 min Frank 33,517
Word Association... (Jun '12) 42 min -Prince- 2,459
3 word story (Jul '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 1,999
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr Water Boi 1,380
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Thu knot 1,765

Pineville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pineville Mortgages