of 5
Next Last

Since: Jan 06

Location hidden

#1 Jan 22, 2006
Would like to join discussion on following story

Posted on Sun, Jan. 22, 2006
Relative says twins'
father was depressedTragic turn unexplainedGREG LACOUR AND FRED [email protected] .com | [email protected]

David Lauren Crespi, a Mecklenburg County man accused of stabbing his twin 5-year-old daughters to death Friday, has suffered from depression for years and recently told his parents he didn't like a new medication he was taking, Crespi's father told the Observer on Saturday.
The depression, which began about four years ago, was one of a handful of medical problems the Wachovia Bank senior vice president suffered from, said his father, Lauren Crespi of Angels Camp, Calif.
David Crespi was taking antidepressants, and he recently had trouble getting to sleep, Lauren Crespi said; the new medication was to help cure his insomnia. His son last year conquered an even bigger threat: Doctors diagnosed testicular cancer, which is now in remission, Lauren Crespi said. David Crespi had planned to visit a doctor for a checkup Friday.
Regardless, David Crespi's father -- along with friends, former co-workers and neighbors in the affluent Deerfield Creek neighborhood in southeast Mecklenburg County -- said Saturday he can't imagine why his son would have done what he's accused of doing.
Lauren Crespi said he visited his son in North Carolina for Thanksgiving. The family enjoyed a visit to Old Salem in Winston-Salem, and "there were no signs of trouble."
"I just don't understand why he turned on the children," Lauren Crespi said. "I just don't know what snapped."
David Crespi, 45, remained in the Mecklenburg County jail Saturday, charged with two counts of murder. He's scheduled to make his first appearance in District Court on Monday.
Police arrived at David Crespi's home on Creek Pointe Drive on Friday afternoon, after a dispatcher told them a man had called 911 and said he'd stabbed his twin daughters to death and was about to kill himself.

Location hidden

#2 Jan 22, 2006
Officers found David Crespi outside and arrested him. Inside, they found Samantha and Tessara Crespi. Both were pronounced dead at the home.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police declined Saturday to disclose details about the possible motive or weapon used; Sgt. Lee Ann Oehler said she could not comment on what led to the killings. Police wouldn't release the 911 recording, saying it's part of the investigation.
David Crespi's wife, Kimberli, was out getting a haircut when the twins were killed. The three other siblings -- Jessica, 17, Dylan, 14, and Joshua, 9 -- were at school, authorities said.
The twins were born in Sacramento, Calif., David Crespi's longtime home, on Oct. 16, 2000. Tessara loved the color purple and dancing, while Samantha loved lambs, pink poodles and the color blue, according to their obituary; both enjoyed dressing as princesses.
A funeral is set for Tuesday at St. Matthew Catholic Church in the Ballantyne area, with other services and burial later in Sacramento.
Neighbors of the Crespis described them as a kind of anchor for their neighborhood, though they'd lived there only about five years. Most of their neighbors had lived there for an even shorter time, and the Crespi children commonly played outside with other children.
"The majority of us don't have family nearby," said a friend and neighbor who didn't want her name used. "So we become each other's family."
On Saturday, a few homes down the street from the Crespis', a group of eight women planned to make dozens of pink ribbons in honor of Samantha and Tessara and distribute them throughout the neighborhood.
The family was active at St. Matthew, where David Crespi served on the church's finance committee, said Monsignor John McSweeney, the pastor. McSweeney said he spent Friday with Kimberli Crespi and the remaining children, and that the shocked congregation would remember Samantha and Tessara during services today.
The shock extended across the country, as friends and former neighbors in the Sacramento area learned the news.
Michael Crowley, who said he's known David Crespi for at least a decade, said his friend's recent Christmas card and letter led him to believe everything was going well.
"If you had to interview the model family, they would be who I would think of," Crowley said. "I can't tell you how inconceivable this is."
David Crespi comes from a family of high achievers. He, his brother and father all hold degrees from California State University, Sacramento, where David Crespi graduated in 1983 with an accounting degree. His brother, John, is an agricultural economics professor at Kansas State University.
David Crespi was a straight-A student in college, his father said, and passed the certified public accountant's exam as a senior in college.
He rose to vice president and chief financial officer at Sacramento Savings Bank before it closed in 1994. He later worked as an administrator at the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency and as an executive at The Money Store, a Sacramento-based home equity lender, before moving to Charlotte to work for Wachovia, where he was in the bank's audit division.
Richard Slaymaker of Gold River, Calif., worked with David Crespi for about three years in the early 1990s, when the two were finance managers for the housing agency. Slaymaker said his former colleague isn't just a skilled professional but a respected and well-liked man.
"He was dedicated but had the ability to make everyone like him," he said. "He was such an outstanding person; I knew we wouldn't be able to keep him.
"No matter what kind of problems would come up, he could deal with them. What happened yesterday is so out of the norm, it doesn't make sense." -- Staff writers Franco Ordoñez, Ken garfield and melissa manware contributed.

-- Greg Lacour:(828) 324-0055; Fred Kelly:(704) 358-5027
Emm

Morganton, NC

#3 Jan 22, 2006
I've been reading these stories over and over again since I've heard. Just to be able to try and realize that this is not a nightmare and that I cannot wake from this. I've known this man the majority of my life. I've known Jessica since her and I were 5 or 6. This is something that I would never have expected. I want to forget and say that it never happened, but I can't pretend it didn't happen if they are my family. So all I can do is pray for my cousins and aunt, and uncle... Hope they will overcome this as well as anyone could. Tess and Sam were both the joy for us all, and they will be dearly missed...
May the Beautiful Rest In Peace...

Location hidden

#4 Jan 23, 2006
I am so sorry for the family who areleft to mourn for those babies - and have to deal with what comes next.

I am the last one to make excuses for anyone who harms a child, but if this was caused by medication a doctor prescribed -- well, if that IS the case my heart goes out to their father. I hope he will be able to forgive himself for something he really couldn't control.
un-named

Sacramento, CA

#5 Jan 23, 2006
Michael Crowley, from Sacramento, CA is obviously a very closed minded person. You don't judge a family by how much money they have or how good they look on the outside. It makes me wonder how long Mrs. Crespi and her children suffered with friends like Crowley making their phoney assumptions. Rather than assuming that Dave Crespi was the perfect person because he was wealthy, perhaps Crowley should have been paying attention to how he treated his family.
KLH

Madison, WI

#6 Jan 24, 2006
Please don't make judgments about people you don't know. I have known Dave for over 15 years and he is a person that you would never think could do something like this. This isn't just a public perception, this is from an insider's perspective. You will be hard pressed to find a man more deeply committed to his family and friends. I have no way of knowing what caused him to snap like this, but I only hope that people will pray for him and for his family. Remember that life is precious and live each day to the fullest. God bless.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 24, 2006
Medications can cause a person to do things that are totally out of character. It seems that is the case here.

It also seems that he intended to do more than just kill the twins. Sadly, watch the news tonight.
rumaj

United States

#8 Jan 30, 2006
Does anyone know what medication David Crespi was taking?

I'd appreciate an answer if anyone has one.

Thank you
unnamed too

Wake Forest, NC

#9 Mar 5, 2006
He didn't say that. He said that they appearedto have it together across the board, financial well-being as one of the pieces. You're a closeminded person for trying to make this fit your agenda. What a clown.
un-named wrote:
Michael Crowley, from Sacramento, CA is obviously a very closed minded person. You don't judge a family by how much money they have or how good they look on the outside. It makes me wonder how long Mrs. Crespi and her children suffered with friends like Crowley making their phoney assumptions. Rather than assuming that Dave Crespi was the perfect person because he was wealthy, perhaps Crowley should have been paying attention to how he treated his family.
unnamed too

Wake Forest, NC

#10 Mar 5, 2006
I can't stand the horror of those little girls last moments. Their safest place turned into a monster.
Mandy

United States

#11 Jul 18, 2006
I just want to say that jessica crespi is a really close friend of mine and the horror of this occurence has been ard on everyone..its so hard to sit and ponder that an actual family member they thought they could trust turned out to be a horrified psychotic monster
amanda

Normangee, TX

#12 Nov 14, 2006
omg you people must be kidding me... im watching the oprah show with them on it right now and the hirls parents are barley shedding a tear they are so calm and collected about it this is rediculous i think that family or at least the mother and father are just sick and twisted.... they are very sick fucking people they deserve to be the ones to die.
Tiffany

Mastic, NY

#13 Nov 14, 2006
I just finished watching the oprah show and i saw them on it i think that they were planing the whole thing because they seem so calm, but at the same time i feel bad for the dad because he confessed and told the truth.. R.I.P to the two twin daughters Sam and Tessa
Tiffany

Mastic, NY

#14 Nov 14, 2006
rumaj wrote:
Does anyone know what medication David Crespi was taking?
I'd appreciate an answer if anyone has one.
Thank you
He was taking antidepressants
sam

Halifax, Canada

#15 Nov 14, 2006
the father is mentally ill, amanda. he had to be to commit such a crime.

the mother on the other hand has got to be strong. she still has 3 children to look after for years to come. she can't give up. she also wants people to know her story, and she wants people to understand what happens when people who are depressed try to hide from the world. there could have been someone out there watching oprah who has the same illness. and after seeing it they could have realised what they are capable of. and it may be a turning point for them.

i dont think anyone at all deserves to die. that is very harsh of you to say. the father is living with what he did every day and will be pained by it. he was noticeable shooken up throughout the interview.

i do feel its hard to believe how the mother is able to forgive, but it just goes to show her courage and strength. i think she is an amazing woman, and im proud of her for being so strong.

as for crying... i don't know if you've ever had something horrible happen to you, but there are only so many tears you can shed before you can't shed anymore, no matter how sad you still are.
sosad

Myrtle Beach, SC

#16 Nov 14, 2006
I also just watched the oprah show...and how dare you say that the mother planned it!!! She was upset, but she also wanted to support her husband because he is a very sick man...I bet she thinks every single day that she shouldn't have gotten that hair cut and a billion other what ifs....people grieve differently...RIP sam and tessa
Sherry

Milwaukee, WI

#17 Nov 14, 2006
I have to agree with those of you who said that something doesn't seem right about the situation. They both seem so calm. I know that if my husband or the father of my kid's killed them, their is no way in hell I could forgive him. The fact that she is still married to him is really weird. They are trying to use the excuse that he is mentally ill but I don't buy that. He deserves to die for what he did!!!!
Catherine -nc

Holly Ridge, NC

#18 Nov 14, 2006
sam wrote:
the father is mentally ill, amanda. he had to be to commit such a crime.
the mother on the other hand has got to be strong. she still has 3 children to look after for years to come. she can't give up. she also wants people to know her story, and she wants people to understand what happens when people who are depressed try to hide from the world. there could have been someone out there watching oprah who has the same illness. and after seeing it they could have realised what they are capable of. and it may be a turning point for them.
i dont think anyone at all deserves to die. that is very harsh of you to say. the father is living with what he did every day and will be pained by it. he was noticeable shooken up throughout the interview.
i do feel its hard to believe how the mother is able to forgive, but it just goes to show her courage and strength. i think she is an amazing woman, and im proud of her for being so strong.
as for crying... i don't know if you've ever had something horrible happen to you, but there are only so many tears you can shed before you can't shed anymore, no matter how sad you still are.
I have just watched this show in complete awe!
The father did not show any shaken symptoms he was very calm as well as the mother. Those other 3 children were not her biological children that I understood. I am in the medical field and deal with depression, dementia and all sorts of disease processes but it is hard for me to believe that the spouse did not detect or see any "red flags" at all.Not putting the blame on her, but come on, you live with a person that many years day in and day out you are bound to see some out of the ordinary things that may make you think something is wrong.She admitted today that she had asked him if he would hurt the girls.......there was already a pre-thought.
Un named

Inman, SC

#19 Nov 14, 2006
I also just finished watching the Oprah show.
Regardless of whether or not my husband was mentally ill or not I don't know if I could forgive him. I guess you never know until you are in that situation. I know if someone ever hurt my children - I would be in jail. I did see the mother shed a tear when she was explaining the holiness of the house. I know it may be sick to some but I couldn't leave either-i think the pain would be too much to bear to stay but I would feel like I would be forgetting them if I left. You have to do all in your own time and only you know what that is in a time like that. Very tragic for everyone involved. My heart and prayers go out to the family. Those girls were so beautiful and who knows what they would have become. Now they are with God.
irene

Douglasville, GA

#20 Nov 14, 2006
I agree with you; the mother is way too calm and composed and to continue to live in the house where her only biological children were murdered is just crazy. Those children deserve better than a mother making excuses for their father's actions. I love my husband also but if he ever snapped and killed our kids I would want him to receive the same thing and he would want to die himself-these type can not be rehabilitated or even helped.
amanda wrote:
omg you people must be kidding me... im watching the oprah show with them on it right now and the hirls parents are barley shedding a tear they are so calm and collected about it this is rediculous i think that family or at least the mother and father are just sick and twisted.... they are very sick fucking people they deserve to be the ones to die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where can I get boy in Charlotte/gastonia 9 hr Uhuh 2
American Idol Finalist coming to Troutman Aug 27 styledo 1
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Aug 26 tired of the hate 4,897
Where the boy at in Charlotte ? (Dec '15) Aug 25 Fred Herbert 46
Let's See Who's A REAL Charlottean! (Jan '08) Aug 24 Fred Herbert 94
Button Earrings with Great Color Aug 23 linda35ny 1
Revival Aug 13 Pastor Anthony Pe... 1

Pineville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pineville Mortgages