this Area Has Been a Favorite with Cyclists, but Growth Brings...

Bill Alford used to ride his bike right out of his driveway in Providence Plantation and onto southern Mecklenburg roads -- long a draw for bikers. Read more
timbrews in Waxhaw

Charlotte, NC

#1 Sep 11, 2006
I'm glad they mention the 'doubling' of cyclists, but perhaps more cyclists should be aware of it themselves.

Living at cycling cenral here in Waxhaw, it's sometimes impossible to drive out for the morning paper or to the store on a weekend morning because of the large number of cyclists.

Also, because they drive down here to ride, there isn't enough parking left for people who want to patronize the Farmers' Market or Crossroads Coffee (as cyclists arrive early in the AM and leave thir cars ther till noontime.)

If cyclists want courtsey, then they need to extend the same courtsies to others...both on the road and in the towns they choose to congregate.
shamilt-onbike

Monroe, NC

#2 Dec 11, 2006
As cyclist who 'drives down there to ride' and 'congregate' in Waxhaw, I also assist in the local Waxhaw economy. I often buy gas there, eat a 3 of the restuarants, buy coffee, shakes, and food at Crossroads, buy food from the Farmer's market, and shop at the Family Dollar and Bike store all while I'm taking precious parking.

Our group is safe. We obey traffic signals, use hand signals to let motorist know our moves, ride single file where we can, only doubling up to allow a series of cars to get around our group as opposed to the cars trying to squeeze through a long line of cyclist. We call cars behind us and approaching to alert our team to pay attention and get to the right as much as possible. We wear bright clothing and have lights on our bikes.

As Cyclist, we are also mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, professionals and laymen. Our hearts are into healthy lifestyles. We are one less reason insurance cost will rise.

So timbrews, look beyond your Sunday morning paper and see a group of people who really don't mean to be a nusiance; we're just doing something we love for the right reasons.
Greg LeMond

Monroe, NC

#3 Jul 28, 2012
We will park where we damn please while we are out riding. When we come back we will buy a gator aide or something for them letting us park there. You need to shut up and get your fat ass on a little narrow bike seat or better yet take the seat off and sit on the seat past. I get so tired of people like you nagging. Another thing when you see us bikers ahead of you follow us until it is safe to pass. When you pass go over as far as you can in the other lane so you don't mess up our peloton.
Carol Jordan

Monroe, NC

#4 Aug 25, 2012
The real issue is Bicycles and motorcycles are much smaller than cars. Sometimes for vehicles they are hard to see no matter how safe you drive. The fact that when there is an accident it is always the cars fault not matter what really happened. Most cases the driver is cited and sometimes even charged with jail time. Just for a ride on a bike is that fair? There are plenty of bike lanes in Charlotte that were put in just for this. Even on Providence road. It is just safer to use them for everyone. I live in Waxhaw and very rarely go out on Saturday because of the bicycle riders. Most bike riders ride two or three across and never right behind each other. I would never put other people in danger just for a hobby of exercise. Please go use the bike lanes in Charlotte that were built for this.
Exactly

Charlotte, NC

#5 Aug 29, 2012
I agree Carol. It seems they are always riding on the most dangerous curvy roads when it is unsafe for the cars to go into the other land, ie Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd. I see many on Waxhaw Marvin but that is a little easier to go around...depending on where they are.
And buying a gatorade after taking up parking all day? That doesn't justify it at all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Roach Research Inc 3 hr Dontburnbridges2011 1
News Union Co. revaluation leads to first decrease i... 12 hr Omg 2
Thompson Orphanage (Jan '11) Fri Denise Blalock Mc... 18
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Fri Van Halen 4,796
dog food (Jun '14) Mar 25 nyc2nc 12
I Love Black Women (May '11) Mar 25 DO WHAT 247
what abe thought about black people Mar 25 LAND OF THE FREE 5

Freeze Warning for Mecklenburg County was issued at March 28 at 2:42PM EDT

Pineville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pineville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]